Bring out Gifs!

I was so happy when I learned how to remove all the tiles from my Start Menu.
...and then they brought them back in a looooooooong vertical column that can't be turned off.

...fortunately the next update is supposed to reenable the ability to take EVERY APPLICATION ON YOUR COMPUTER WHETHER YOU USE IT OR NOT out of the Start Menu again.

--Patrick

Or some sharp blades at the axle so if anything gets trapped it gets cut.

But this device is useless anyway. A driver escaping isn't going to let the chase vehicle behind them get that close, and will weave to avoid allowing the chase vehicle ahead of them, or beside them where they might be able to disable them in some other way. And all this without knowing that they're trying an entrapment device on their wheel - if they see the fork and device, you can bet they're going to be able to dodge it without to much isse.

Meanwhile the chase vehicle is trying to get lined up with this unwieldy form out in front, and can't really even see the end of the fork, and risks significant injury if the car ahead decides to slam on their brakes.

In other words, a neat idea that is practically useless.

If not for that tricky thing called Due Process, we could take the laser from Real Genius and vaporize the sucker. :p

(Just as soon as we work out the charging time, discharge time, and how not to leave a smoking crater in the road after the beam goes through the vehicle.)

Hmm... maybe give that job to our resident engineer with all the in-house interns. :D
I asked the interns and they're on board as long as they get all you can eat popcorn in the deal.

An electrolaser set to low or moderate power should be able to shut down the electronics of a vehicle without too much damage, though the problem is, what becomes of a vehicle that's going at high speed that everything suddenly shuts down on...

GasBandit

Staff member
An electrolaser set to low or moderate power should be able to shut down the electronics of a vehicle without too much damage, though the problem is, what becomes of a vehicle that's going at high speed that everything suddenly shuts down on...
I don't think there's a car out there with purely electronic linkages. I mean, sure, the power steering will suddenly not be power-assisted, but that's more a problem at low speed than high. The brakes will still have mechanical linkages, and even if the vehicle is automatic transmission, it wouldn't cause anything catastrophic to make it lose control.

I think the real concern is in cost to deploy and potential for collateral damage (other cars caught in the line of fire, so to speak).

Nothing for sale to the consumer right now. Brakes and steering are still mechanical links, though now the computers can provide additional input to both systems, they are designed to be easily overpowered by normal human strength.

Nothing for sale to the consumer right now. Brakes and steering are still mechanical links, though now the computers can provide additional input to both systems, they are designed to be easily overpowered by normal human strength.
And for good reason. If your electrical system fails, you're still supposed to have an opportunity to limp the thing to the side of the road in a controlled manner.

--Patrick