Bring out Gifs!

Good article.
Yeah, that was a pretty good read. It sounds like from Blake Griffin's point of view, Ballmer is kind of like George Steinbrenner - passionate and wanting to win, invested in his team, perhaps overzealous but at least he fucking gives a damn.

figmentPez

Staff member
Another trick is, don't tip the carton that far...
Which means you're higher above the glass, and the poured liquid has more velocity, I've had problems with that. Which can be solved by pouring at the edge of a counter, and that too has it's own drawbacks.

I'm going to try this with the 1 liter coconut water bottles I drink. They're so tall and skinny you can't pour them without the glugging; if you've tilted enough for it to pour out, you've also tilted enough to block the air intake. For the first maybe 1/10th of the bottle, there's no such thing as a smooth pour, at least with the opening on the lower side of the pour, like in the first image.

Which means you're higher above the glass, and the poured liquid has more velocity, I've had problems with that. Which can be solved by pouring at the edge of a counter, and that too has it's own drawbacks.
Or holding both the glass and juice while you pour.

That same trick works with motor oil
Welp got ninja'd re: motor oil.
But for your coconut water, you probably want to start pouring like you're trying to pour a beer with no head, by picking up the glass and tipping it to meet the bottle mouth while you pour, and then bringing the glass back to vertical while you continue pouring.

Or you could just drink out of the bottle...

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Or holding both the glass and juice while you pour.
Milk also comes in this type of container. You try holding a measuring cup level in one hand while pouring with the other.

Welp got ninja'd re: motor oil.
But for your coconut water, you probably want to start pouring like you're trying to pour a beer with no head, by picking up the glass and tipping it to meet the bottle mouth while you pour, and then bringing the glass back to vertical while you continue pouring.

Or you could just drink out of the bottle...
I currently do tip the glass to meet the bottle, though some days I don't have the best coordination, due to my somatoform disorder, and it'd be nice to have a method that requires less dexterity.

fade

Staff member
I didn't know the motor oil one was a secret. When that plastic bottle design first came out (remember cans and spouts?) they used to have an etched in diagram showing spout-up pouring right on the bottle.

I didn't know the motor oil one was a secret. When that plastic bottle design first came out (remember cans and spouts?) they used to have an etched in diagram showing spout-up pouring right on the bottle.
I think most still have that.

You'd be surprised how many people I've seen do it wrong, though.

A lot of people, it seems, never look at the packaging for *anything* to find out how it's supposed to be used correctly.