[PC Game] Bioshock Infinite (beware of spoilers)

Interesting thing I had pointed out to me by some folks online. Watch this video, and really pay attention to the background noise around 14 seconds in.

So, is the songbird's screech merely a sound effect they've used before, or were they really thinking ahead? I haven't played the original recently enough to know whether or not you hear it anywhere else in the game.

I think it's coincidence or something done after the fact. They couldn't have known they'd get a sequel for such an ambitious game.

Considering how weird Songbird is, they likely just decided to go through the "weird background noises" folder they had after making BioShock, heard that sound, and said "Okay yes, that is the noise it should be making" Although...

Songbird was said to be created when Fink reverse engineered the technology of the Big Daddy, after getting information on the process through a rift to Rapture. This is why it "imprints" on Elizabeth using the same process used to bond a Big Daddy to a Little Sister, and is extremely protective of her. However, we don't know WHO was used in this process, and it could be that Songbird himself was a Big Daddy stolen from Rapture and altered into the bird like creature on Columbia to carry out a new role. Maybe the original Big Daddy just made similar sounds.

So my wife had to go out for the entire day. I kinda should have been sleeping... but if you keep tabs on the minor rant thread you'll know why I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and play a few hours of Bioshock.
Holy... fucking... shit.
I mean I know the story already, but the game still isn't ceasing to surprise me. I love the fact that I'm actually jumping from reality to reality to fit my needs. First I need the gunsmith alive so I cross into a dimension where he is. Then even though he's alive he's a Comstock follower now and married to the head of security's sister (which is probably why he's still alive), but now his machines have been confiscated. Then when I get to the machines I obviously can't carry them so I jump into a dimension where they were never confiscated at all and HOLYSHIT! VOX ATTACK! Fitzroy is an absolute monster and I love it. You think she's being all noble, but she turns out to be as much a monster as Comstock is, killing innocent people left and right. And the fights are just insane. People zipping around. Blimps to blow up.
Gawd... I so miss the days where I could just sit down and play a game like this to death. I know I'm going to want to play this on a harder difficulty next time, but I have so many other games I need to play. And considering the limited time I have to play them it's hard to want to give up the opportunity.

So I just read this article where devout Christians took offense to the mandatory baptizing scene in the beginning of the game and demanded a refund.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING PLAYING A GORY/CUSSING-FILLED GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

So I just read this article where devout Christians took offense to the mandatory baptizing scene in the beginning of the game and demanded a refund.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING PLAYING A GORY/CUSSING-FILLED GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

Well, this might be a shot in the dark here, but it would seem to be, that we, as North American culture, we're largely desensitized to violence, and to an extent, foul language as we're exposed to it on a regular basis (although, even this has limits with most people), whereas religious imagery is tied to more personal beliefs and can therefore invoke stronger reactions. I don't find it all that odd a reaction, when you look at it like that.

Well, this might be a shot in the dark here, but it would seem to be, that we, as North American culture, we're largely desensitized to violence, and to an extent, foul language as we're exposed to it on a regular basis (although, even this has limits with most people), whereas religious imagery is tied to more personal beliefs and can therefore invoke stronger reactions. I don't find it all that odd a reaction, when you look at it like that.
Makes sense. Still. In the end it's about the same thing, just different reactions.

Dave

Staff member
I'll probably be getting this game Friday. I have not read any spoilers in this thread and know almost nothing about the game. Just the way I like it.

I'll probably be getting this game Friday. I have not read any spoilers in this thread and know almost nothing about the game. Just the way I like it.
The twist is Booker is actually a Ghost and has been the entire movie.
Or is he just stuck in a village that pretends it's the 1700s?
Or IT'S THE PLANTS!

I really forget at this point.

The twist is Booker is actually a Ghost and has been the entire movie.
Or is he just stuck in a village that pretends it's the 1700s?
Or IT'S THE PLANTS!

I really forget at this point.
NO its that he's a firebender invading the air temples and has to capture the avatar.
or he was brought there because he's unbreakable and all the bad stuff was done to prove it

wait I'm doing it wrong, those aren't really twists are they? :(

I think the reveal that the zombie brain of Hitler was behind the whole thing was a mind blowing twist.
I saw that coming a mile away.

Now the fact Elizabeth was actually King Kong in a woman suit, that we had to fight off a floating Empire State Building? That took me by surprise.

I am so close to finishing this game. I'm currently on the third floor of Comstock's blimp. Life's kinda gotten in the way of any chance to play the last few days however. Tonight will be the night though. Well... crossing my fingers on that.

I am so close to finishing this game. I'm currently on the third floor of Comstock's blimp. Life's kinda gotten in the way of any chance to play the last few days however. Tonight will be the night though. Well... crossing my fingers on that.
Yeah, you're pretty much there, depending on how many times you have to do the final battle.

Aaaaand? Your reaction?
I think it's a great game. Very memorable. Game of the year? Well... I'd like to see what the year has in store for us.
Pros: I think it's a very beautiful game with a fantastic story. I love the Luteces and any scene they appeared. The ending (despite already knowing, and I wish I had not peeked at the spoilers) was pretty impressive visually and written. Elizabeth was a wonderful and helpful companion, always around for ammo or health boosts. Plus I think one point she handed me just enough money to buy an item I was looking at but short on.
Game definitely has replay value.
Cons: No bosses. What constituted as boss fights were essentially just swarms of troops. I guess the "ghost" counts sort of. But even that was pretty generic. The biggest "upset" was the final battle which consisted of troops we've seen countless number of times throughout the game already.Proper boss fights would involve a completely new strategy for each one, and there was plenty of opportunity for some good fights. I was expecting something special when taking on Fink, but it failed to impress.. The inability to hold a several guns kinda made me more frustrated than it made the game exciting, I didn't feel the looting system was quick enough to require running around scrambling for bullets.

You want Boss fights... in a Bioshock game? Has there ever been a single GOOD ONE in this series?
Big Daddies would count as bosses in my opinion. But then, so would Handymen in that regard. What I consider the boss fights of Bioshock Infinite were certain encounter areas that then through in a Handyman. I feel boss fights are more than just "big enemy you fight" so much as whether you've reached a point where your current skills are being tested.

I would also argue that Sander Cohen was a boss fight in the first Bioshock, albeit an optional one. He had more health than other splicers and the first time I fought him, we had a crazy chase and trap battle all over Fort Frolic. It was the only time a splicer fight had the same run and gun tactics as a Big Daddy battle (early game).