Export thread

Biden 1st term

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Figured we could get started early with a Biden thread, since he takes office today. I figure we can also change the thread title after we get a better measure of the trajectory of his presidency.

Here are some of the the executive actions Biden plans on signing his first day in office:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I am pretty excited because I think Biden will actually get a decent amount done in his presidency. Why? Well, it's not a great reason.

Because he isn't black.

Obama himself admitted in his book that he feels his own presidency was partly responsible for the rise of Trump, not because of his policy, but because there is still such a large subset of America that couldn't handle a black president, and made it their life mission to ruin him. As much as they have screamed about Biden being a China-plant or all that nonsense, in a few months these idiots are going to sit on their sofa and whisper to themselves, "At least he ain't a n*****r."

blotsfan

blotsfan

No "Biden Regime Thread"?

Damn liberal bias.

Dave

Dave

No "Biden Regime Thread"?

Damn liberal bias.
And thank goodness for it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Could he have picked a bigger bible?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Personally I vote we just lock the Trump Regime Thread at 12:01 pm EST, never to be poisoned again.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Personally I vote we just lock the Trump Regime Thread at 12:01 pm EST, never to be poisoned again.
I dont think I've had a thread locked. I wonder which hall it'd go into.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I dont think I've had a thread locked. I wonder which hall it'd go into.
Shame. Shame. Shame. Definitely

Bubble181

Bubble181

And am I too much of a downer that i went in here thinking this was the new version of the "when will he be impeached?" thread, and assumed we would have to guess how long Biden will be president?
I doubt he'll be impeached, but I can see both old age and domestic terrorism as ways for him to go out, at least.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Mr. President.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The contrast on how Jill reacted compared to Melania four years ago was pretty stark. You can tell she was so happy for Joe.

Shawn

Shawn

I am pretty excited because I think Biden will actually get a decent amount done in his presidency. Why? Well, it's not a great reason.

Because he isn't black.

Obama himself admitted in his book that he feels his own presidency was partly responsible for the rise of Trump, not because of his policy, but because there is still such a large subset of America that couldn't handle a black president, and made it their life mission to ruin him. As much as they have screamed about Biden being a China-plant or all that nonsense, in a few months these idiots are going to sit on their sofa and whisper to themselves, "At least he ain't a n*****r."
Patton Oswalt thought the same thing.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Not a fan of champagne, but damn this tiny bottle of Brut is damn tasty atm.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Concur. Good riddance, and to the hall of shame with it.

Shawn

Shawn

Guaranteed we will need a Post Trump Regime Thread. He's not going away for a while.

Dave

Dave

I am not allowing another thread for that piece of shit. I'll change the subject on the other one.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wow, that is what Tr*mp said *happened* at his inauguration.

edit: dropped a word.

Shawn

Shawn

I wonder for how many years Trump is going to try to rub it in Biden's face that his inauguration had a larger crowd.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I wonder for how many years Trump is going to try to rub it in Biden's face that his inauguration had a larger crowd.
Doesn't matter. No one's listening anymore.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I'm anticipating a Biden presidency like the inauguration today: Biden is there and calming, but the real stars are the people around him who are correctly appointed.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I've been checking the last hour or so and he hasn't tweeted about it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Annnd the 1776 Commission page is gone. Good riddance.

Piotyr

Piotyr

What's this? A tweet from the President?

BErt

BErt

He’s been President for an hour and he hasn’t fixed everything I’m mad

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

He’s been President for an hour and he hasn’t fixed everything I’m mad
But in contrast, sewage isn't spewing out of the sewer grates and manhole covers.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'd been worried all week that "they'll be back, and in greater numbers" would actually come to pass. Thank goodness it didn't.

PatrThom

PatrThom

we can also change the thread title after we get a better measure of the trajectory of his presidency.
My vote is for "The Biden Redeem Thread."

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I think Biden - like Obama - will be a largely boring and normal presidency. Which means the title will probably be able to stay boring and predictable as well.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I am soooo ready for boring and normal, bring it on!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Biden will still be good for late night comics, if he gives extemporaneous speeches.

Still kind of makes me mad because his flubs are related to his stuttering.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Biden will be good because he'll force creativity.

Tress

Tress

Biden doesn't excite me. I am not a passionate supporter. But he's a million times better than what we just had, and I hope his greatest legacy will be ushering in a era of better things to come.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

People are arguing about Biden's Peloton bicycle being a security risk. Holy shit are we already back to the age of fighting over dijon mustard and tan suits? That was fast. Now we just need twenty articles about the importance of the deficit.

Frank

Frank

Bring it. Whine about mustard, suit colour and pelotons (though, really, shit like that and smart TV's should be kept the fuck out of secure places).

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Biden won't have any balls.

-thanks COVID

Piotyr

Piotyr

Bring it. Whine about mustard, suit colour and pelotons (though, really, shit like that and smart TV's should be kept the fuck out of secure places).
I could only imagine Obama attending the inauguration today in a tan suit, eating pretzels while holding a bottle of Grey Poupon.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Some things were changed very quickly:

Piotyr

Piotyr

The Oval Office has already been redecorated:

Tress

Tress

I'm sure the Peloton is not in a secure area, and that the White House's exercise areas are not considered secure anyway.

Frank

Frank

I'm sure the Peloton is not in a secure area, and that the White House's exercise areas are not considered secure anyway.
So, yeah, keep fucking whining right wing idiots. I hope everyone just ignores this kind of shit from now. When Fox news and whoever bitches about anything. Their words are fucking meaningless. They are empty.

BErt

BErt

Oh no, Washington Post what are you doing? A bust of who??
B9C24CFD-0957-45EA-897C-9F3DCE6229FE.jpeg
6AEAFE19-1CA4-4B99-B696-52C6D533A5A5.jpeg

Piotyr

Piotyr

It's a good day to be @TheAmandaGorman :

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Oval Office has already been redecorated:

Science!

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

The clock is ticking. Got 2 years to implement as much as they can, before the midterms swing some fascists back into positions where they can stymie and sabotage.

MindDetective

MindDetective

1611188734854.png

This is calming...but telling...

Piotyr

Piotyr

What is this "press conference" you speak of?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

From now on Inspector Generals will be allowed to inspect generally? Today is a good day. :D

(I haven't had my coffee yet. You can tell, can't you?)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Still not thrilled Harris is VP. Anyone else would have been fine.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Still not thrilled Harris is VP. Anyone else would have been fine.
A black Asian woman with similar centrist views to Biden and capable of taking over if he drops? You fitment bioengineer a better fit as VP.

I mean, I absolutely understand what you mean. Things sure would be different with someone else. But I doubt AOC or Bernie or whomever would've gotten as much votes where it matters. Maybe a million more in California and NY, but that doesn't count for much of the right wing centrists had stayed home.

And definitely not anyone else. VP Hillary, for example, would have been far worse than Harris.

BErt

BErt

Frank

Frank

The actual, literal least you should be doing, but it's a start.

Bubble181

Bubble181

The actual, literal least you should be doing, but it's a start.

But that's the thing, isn't it? In so many areas, Biden will be doing basically the minimum of what he should be doing, nowhere near enough... But still vastly more than what the method guy did.

phil

phil

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

A black Asian woman with similar centrist views to Biden and capable of taking over if he drops? You fitment bioengineer a better fit as VP.

I mean, I absolutely understand what you mean. Things sure would be different with someone else. But I doubt AOC or Bernie or whomever would've gotten as much votes where it matters. Maybe a million more in California and NY, but that doesn't count for much of the right wing centrists had stayed home.

And definitely not anyone else. VP Hillary, for example, would have been far worse than Harris.
My disdain for her is on a personal level. She was the attorney general of my state that was one of the main people responsible for my school being shut down when I only had 10 weeks left to finish.

Tress

Tress

My disdain for her is on a personal level. She was the attorney general of my state that was one of the main people responsible for my school being shut down when I only had 10 weeks left to finish.
The shitty for-profit Corinthian College that was lying to students, doctoring statistics and paperwork, and condemning people to a lifetime of debt that could never be paid off? That school?

blotsfan

blotsfan

The shitty for-profit Corinthian College that was lying to students, doctoring statistics and paperwork, and condemning people to a lifetime of debt that could never be paid off? That school?
IIRC it left cheesy in a position where he lost the degree but kept the lifetime of debt. Can't say I'd blame him for being sore about that.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I was going to Heald, which had been around for over 150 years but Corinthian had bought only a few years before. Heald had a buyer ready to take us from Corinthian, but Harris and the Feds at the literal last minute decided the millions in fines on it had to be taken too, knowing that it would kill the deal.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

IIRC it left cheesy in a position where he lost the degree but kept the lifetime of debt. Can't say I'd blame him for being sore about that.
In May 2018, a federal judge ordered the Department of Education to stop collecting on student loans related to Corinthian. In October 2019 the same judge held Education Secretary Betsy DeVos in contempt of court because the Department had continued collecting on 16,000 such loans in spite of the court order.[63]
Maybe that'll change soon? Hopefully?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Such a refreshing change.

Krisken

Krisken

I really hope so. Just deferring the interest for 3/4 a year isn't going to help enough. My wife and I were doing ok with her crippling debit, but are now with the covid school loan interest pause are actually hitting the principle. I can't imagine what it's like for people who don't have two jobs paying bills and also have kids.

Tress

Tress

I was going to Heald, which had been around for over 150 years but Corinthian had bought only a few years before. Heald had a buyer ready to take us from Corinthian, but Harris and the Feds at the literal last minute decided the millions in fines on it had to be taken too, knowing that it would kill the deal.
I am sorry to hear that happened to you. It is indeed quite shitty.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Perhaps if you wrote to her, explaining the situation (which no doubt affects other students as well), she may be in a position to do something more about it now?

—Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

She stopped giving a crap after she used our situation as a stepping stone to becoming Senator.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So we’ve gone from “Everything will die on my desk,” back to “I’m going to filibuster everything.” Same old Turtle.

PatrThom

PatrThom

At least he has to work for it now.
Maybe he'll exhaust himself and have to be removed.

--Patrick

Shawn

Shawn

Don’t you start lying now. People will be counting.

Krisken

Krisken

And it will be easier to keep track since Trump is pathological.

Bubble181

Bubble181

...So "you said it was impossible" is dialed to "completely false"? As he should've said "you guys were skeptical at first"?

Good lord how fast can you go.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, we've had four years of dissecting lies.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This does feel a little like over obsessing with wording rather then an outright lie. The dude is old, probably heard someone critical of his COVID vaccination goals recently, and he just kind of took that frustration out while talking with other reporters. It does not feel like an open lie like Trump did all the time.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Q-Anon republican lawmaker who threatened to file articles of impeachment against Biden on his first day gives up because the process is too hard and complicated.

Frank

Frank

She's so fucking stupid.

General Specific

General Specific

She's so fucking stupid.
We knew that already, she believes qanon

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Is that the one who is denying the shooting victims died?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Q-Anon republican lawmaker who threatened to file articles of impeachment against Biden on his first day gives up because the process is too hard and complicated.
You know, it wasn't until about a few weeks ago I realized she and Loeffer weren't the same person? I blame it on the the fact that they both seem to have sprouted from the same blonde, horse-faced hydra.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I have definitely noticed Republicans have a type.

evilmike

evilmike

I have definitely noticed Republicans have a type.
The "Brambi Streeter"

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Okay I kind of forgot how stupid things can get when the President isn't driving a scandal every thirty seconds and mags still need to milk those sweet, sweet clicks.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's amazing how quickly we went from controversies like "asking Georgia to commit voter fraud" and "inciting rioters" to "HOLY HELL, HE'S WEARING AN EXPENSIVE WATCH."

Celt Z

Celt Z

I know we said we just wanted things to be boring again, but I think this might be taking it a bit too far. Maaaaaaybe we should finish with Trump and his domestic terrorists first, hmm?

Tress

Tress

So, in 3 days we’ve decided to criticize Biden for:

1) Owning a Peloton bike and equating it to owning a private jet (lol)
2) A “lie” where he paraphrased someone, with a bit of obvious hyperbole
3) Wearing a pricey watch that he bought with his own money

This cannot be how journalism acts. There are plenty of valid criticisms you could level at the president. This stupid, petty shit is just embarrassing.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So, in 3 days we’ve decided to criticize Biden for:

This cannot be how journalism acts. There are plenty of valid criticisms you could level at the president. This stupid, petty shit is just embarrassing.
Shareholder value comes before journalistic ethics. Looks like they've been asked to appease their trump-supporting investors again.

And some publishing families have completely gone over the deep end. Like the Blocks in Pittsburgh and the Ricketts in Chicago. They've destroyed any credibility their papers may have once had.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Owning a Peloton bike and equating it to owning a private jet (lol)
Wait, thats the Peleton controversy? I thought it was about the security issues of having one in the white house (which is certainly real).

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The security leak possibility is what brought up the fact he even had a Peloton, but after they confirmed it wouldn't be an issue and they would take precautions, it morphed into the same thing as the weird Rolex controversy in trying to make it look like he is "extravagant".

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The security leak possibility is what brought up the fact he even had a Peloton, but after they confirmed it wouldn't be an issue and they would take precautions, it morphed into the same thing as the weird Rolex controversy is trying to make it look like he is "extravagant".
Bitching about his Corvette in 3... 2... 1...

(Never mind that he's had it since 1967, and his dad the GM dealer bought it for him.)

Celt Z

Celt Z

We just had a "man" who had a button installed to keep another human being on staff at all times to bring him a Diet Coke, but a 78-year-old man who can afford a Rolex is a controversy??

FOCUS, MEDIA.

I realize we're coming off the last 4 years like a 5 -year-old who was let loose in Dylan's Candy Bar and now has to go home, but get it together.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Terrik

Terrik

We just had a "man" who had a button installed to keep another human being on staff at all times to bring him a Diet Coke, but a 78-year-old man who can afford a Rolex is a controversy??

FOCUS, MEDIA.
Yes, that is quite dastardly, indeed.

lucacoke.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Okay I kind of forgot how stupid things can get when the President isn't driving a scandal every thirty seconds and mags still need to milk those sweet, sweet clicks.

As a watch guy, I can confirm that the real controversy is he's wearing it over his Omega Seamaster, which is arguably a nicer watch. But if you're going to have a rolex, a datejust like his is pretty classy, and also among the simplest and least expensive rolexes out there.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

FOCUS, MEDIA.

I realize we're coming off the last 4 years like a 5 -year-old who was let loose in Dylan's Candy Bar and now has to go home, but get it together.
Shame on me, but I find this Diet Coke button interesting.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I have had a lot of fun watching how many people realized this Family Guy skit was based on real information and was not just something they made up.

Frank

Frank

If I were president I'd have a Diet Mountain Dew button. The gamerest president.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If I were president I'd have a Diet Mountain Dew button. The gamerest president.
Only if you sit at the desk in one of those stupid gamer chairs

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think the problem here (besides he was drinking 12 Diet Cokes a day) was that he could have had a mini fridge installed, or used his intercom to ask for a Diet Coke, but he had to have a button installed, with the fucking Presidental seal on it, who's sole purpose was to bring him a Diet Coke on a silver platter. Even fucking Reagan left his jellybeans in a dish on his desk.

But yes, media. Rolexgate. Have at it.

drifter

drifter

It's been said before how Donald Trump is a poor person's idea of what a rich person is. I feel like the Diet Coke button really exemplifies that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dear Media,

Stop pandering to boomers while alienating your younger audience. They'll all be dead soon, and we'll be the only audience you have left.

Sincerely, everyone since 'Nam.

--Patrick

Far

Far

I'm all for dogging on that idiot but he didn't install that button. It's been around since at least Obama from what I can see to call an aide. Whether it was used exclusively for calling a diet coke under Trump, I don't know, my assumption is that it was used during an interview at one point to do so and that's all anyone ever assumed was done with it.

I don't think that's far from what it was used for the majority of the time but it smacks of hypocrisy to be getting upset regarding tan suits, watches and bikes being treated as controversies the media is creating while at the same time jumping on to this.

jwhouk

jwhouk

They'll all be dead soon, and we'll be the only audience you have left.

Sincerely, everyone since 'Nam.
Gee, thanks.

Sincerely,
Someone born about four months before the Tet Offensive

PatrThom

PatrThom

born about four months before the Tet Offensive
I debated using Apollo 11, but too many think it was fake, y'know?

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm all for dogging on that idiot but he didn't install that button. It's been around since at least Obama from what I can see to call an aide. Whether it was used exclusively for calling a diet coke under Trump, I don't know, my assumption is that it was used during an interview at one point to do so and that's all anyone ever assumed was done with it.

I don't think that's far from what it was used for the majority of the time but it smacks of hypocrisy to be getting upset regarding tan suits, watches and bikes being treated as controversies the media is creating while at the same time jumping on to this.
According to Snopes, at least, the button has been around for decades--but by all appearances, all Trump used it for was diet cokes.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Gee, thanks.

Sincerely,
Someone born about four months before the Tet Offensive
Are you saying you find it a...Tet Offensive. :awesome:

...they both seem to have sprouted from the same blonde, horse-faced hydra.
Every time one of these people opens their mouths, I expect them to sincerely say "Hail Hydra", so I had to reread this a couple of times because that's what I saw.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Only if you sit at the desk in one of those stupid gamer chairs
You mean one of these?

If I'm ever the President of the United States, I'm totally replacing the Resolute Desk with one of these babies.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

...and the Rolex belonged to his dead son Beau. If only the media could feel shame...

blotsfan

blotsfan

...and the Rolex belonged to his dead son Beau. If only the media could feel shame...
I thought that wasn't true.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It should still have never mattered in the first place.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Considering Trump had a dozen golden rolexes, it's just baffling how the media just....
Yeah, no, I don't even care. The concept that every day there has to be news to film a 24 hour news cycle is just toxic. Some days there's news for 100 pages of newspaper, other days just 20 pages. Blowing that up or inventing crises or controversies just to fill your pages is bad; bad form, bad for democracy, bad for honest reporting, etc.

Dave

Dave

Good thing he wasn't wearing his Rolex in a tan suit!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Thing is, Rolex is the Grey Goose of watches. Nothing but hype.

Today the smear will be how much time he spent at church yesterday instead of working on covid.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Thing is, Rolex is the Grey Goose of watches. Nothing but hype.

Today the smear will be how much time he spent at church yesterday instead of working on covid.
This is true except for the oyster perpetual and the datejust, those are class. Everything else is overpriced hype, go buy an Omega instead

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Does it feel like Biden is moving really fast or is it a false equivalence because of the previous administration?

blotsfan

blotsfan

He's been doing all the low-hanging fruit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Does it feel like Biden is moving really fast or is it a false equivalence because of the previous administration?
I think he kind of HAD to to avoid criticisms. There's so much shit to clean up that if he missed any one thing, people would lambaste him.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I would rather this have been worded "President Biden is visiting with wounded service members at Walter Reed Medical Center " to avoid the moment of panic not knowing why Biden is in a hospital.

BErt

BErt

I would rather this have been worded "President Biden is visiting with wounded service members at Walter Reed Medical Center " to avoid the moment of panic not knowing why Biden is in a hospital.

PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN DEAD tired of seeing how our wounded veterans are treated

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

He's been doing all the low-hanging fruit.
He's undoing Trump's executive orders faster than Trump attempted to undo Obama's

PatrThom

PatrThom

He's undoing Trump's executive orders faster than Trump attempted to undo Obama's
I saw someone who tweeted something like, "Biden keeps undoing Trump's mistakes at this rate, pretty soon there won't be a Trump Jr. or Ivanka."

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's Biden's SecDef, so I'll put this here. How you REALLY drain the swamp. Thread.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

link with related story.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Ok, finally, let's get some cabinet members confirmed:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

More purging

figmentPez

figmentPez

Bubble181

Bubble181

And also... Err, why should he? "former president" isn't a job that requires knowledge of national security issues.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And also... Err, why should he? "former president" isn't a job that requires knowledge of national security issues.

Newsweek said:
One of the most obvious reasons is so that they can continue to advise the sitting administration and officials on incidents that may either be ongoing or reflect those of the past.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So the red rose gang on twitter is screaming about Biden not signing a COVID-19 relief bill that Congress hasn't passed yet. :facepalm:

blotsfan

blotsfan

I assume it's about how he's saying that the minimum wage increase won't be in it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I assume it's about how he's saying that the minimum wage increase won't be in it.
That's only part of it.

evilmike

evilmike

Looks like we have the first major scandal of Biden's presidency:

chris

chris

People like him only like pure breeds.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That is a fooking 12 year old GSD. That is what their fur does. It should have been a scandal that the Bushes had a god damned staff to take care of a dog.

Bubble181

Bubble181

So "having staff to answer their mail" is supposed to be a scandal, and not having staff to groom them daily is also supposed to be a problem? Make up your mind.

PatrThom

PatrThom

More of this, please.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Without even looking, I can tell you she's Fox, Newsmax, or OAN.

Tress

Tress

Looked like Chanel Rion, so it was OAN. The usual far right horseshit.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

What fucking floored me was she did the whole Trump thing, where he says "lots of people, tons of people." and then when asked to clarify it's always either their own opinion or one person who said some stupid shit on TV.

In this case, it was just because Trump himself was bitching about all his border policies getting undone.

"A lot of Americans are saying that..." "What Americans?" "Well, huh.... Trump said..."

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

"A lot of Americans are saying that..." "What Americans?" "Well, huh.... Trump said..."
"BZZT! Wrong! Next!"

Thank goodness the bullshit is finally getting called out as bullshit. What's sad is these idiots are still getting press credentials.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Her lanyard says CBSNews. Turns out all media is bad, and always has been.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Her lanyard says CBSNews. Turns out all media is bad, and always has been.
The source where I found it identified her as a CBS correspondent.
All media is are bad, at least the ones whose primary focus seems to be on generating profit rather than informing.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

All media is are bad, at least the ones whose primary focus seems to be on generating profit rather than informing.
Which is just about everyone. Especially if there are shareholders involved.

Krisken

Krisken

That was beautifully shut down. She wasn't rude, but was forceful and clear. Masterfully done.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That was beautifully shut down. She wasn't rude, but was forceful and clear. Masterfully done.
After the last few years, I had all but forgotten what it's like to have a competent Press Secretary.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Scandal Alert!

The Biden family dogs have been fired!

jwhouk

jwhouk

:rolleyes:

They've been sent home.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

How can the White House operate with such a high turn over of senior staff! 100 % turn over on quadropeds in the first 7 weeks!

IT'S UNSUSTAINABLE!!!! IT'S CHAOS!!!

Its all we've got to talk aboot...

figmentPez

figmentPez

:rolleyes:

They've been sent home.
If this were a movie, the White House security that Major bit would be part of a plot to overthrow the government, and everyone would dismiss it except for some kid who would tearfully defend Major as being a Good Boy™ who must have had good reason to bite. In the third act Major would risk his life to save the hero and/or the President.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

In another shot across the orange thing's bow, the next round of stimulus checks will be signed by an anonymous bureaucrat. :rofl:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

SCANDAL!!

Biden has gone home to Delaware three of the eight weekends since taking office.

(The same house he's gone home to on weekends for the last 50 years.)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sadly, he can’t take Amtrak.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sadly, he can’t take Amtrak.
Or his Stingray.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

SCANDAL!

The right is up in arms over Kamala Harris not doing something she didn't need to be doing in the first place.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

But don't you know? Saluting someone in the military is just a sign of RESPECT!

Krisken

Krisken

Can I just say what an incredible press secretary Jen Psaki is? That head tilt she gives says so much.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hopefully this will result in more than just talk about the Supreme Court:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

President Joe Biden has witnessed an unprecedented growth on Wall Street in his first 100 days in office, better than any of his predecessors going to at least Dwight Eisenhower.
"Biden's first 100 days have already delivered the strongest post-election equity returns in at least 75 years, due to record fiscal stimulus and despite heavy use of Executive Orders," JPMorgan Chase strategist John Normand said in a note. The results are "not bad for some [former President Donald] Trump labeled as Sleepy Joe during the campaign."

figmentPez

figmentPez

I can't wait to hear the same Republicans who said "You can't give Obama credit for the good economy at the start of Trump's presidency" try to claim that this stock market performance is solely due to Trump.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I can't wait to hear the same Republicans who said "You can't give Obama credit for the good economy at the start of Trump's presidency" try to claim that this stock market performance is solely due to Trump.
For years, my mother has said any Democratic economic gains were due to the residual effects of "Reagenomics", so yes, don't expect them to credit Biden for anything.

Bubble181

Bubble181

And it's all only because of the growing deficit, which is going to destroy your country.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes but what about all that other stuff from his first 100 days?

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Reading those numbers, there's still a ways to go.
On the other hand, the numbers are already miles better than they have been in years, despite growing influx. It's really weird how government agencies can suddenly work when they're being led by someone with more brain cells than the US has prison cells.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's a shame that these things aren't making as big a splash as Trump's brand of crazy, but, nestled in this article, which is ostensibly about Trump:

The Pentagon on Wednesday swept away Trump-era policies that largely banned transgender people from serving in the military, issuing new rules that offer them wider access to medical care and assistance with gender transition. The new department regulations allow transgender people who meet military standards to enlist and serve openly in their self-identified gender, and they will be able to get medically necessary transition-related care authorized by law, chief Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told reporters during a briefing…. The new rules also prohibit discrimination based on gender identity.

Shakey

Shakey

As nice as it is that Biden is able to make these changes, it would be better if we could get them to be more permanent. Policies like this being at the whims of one person is frustrating, if not plain scary.

Frank

Frank

I guess US Catholics want to ban the second Catholic president in history from receiving communion.

Fucking clownshoes.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Sometimes, I really need a face-palm reaction.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The pope explicitly told them not to and they're doing it anyways. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we got us another schism on our hands.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Imagine the statement that it would make though if Biden came out and said, "That's fine, doing the right thing for this country is more important than my faith."

Dei

Dei

The pope explicitly told them not to and they're doing it anyways. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we got us another schism on our hands.
I mean, the American Catholic Church has been not agreeing with the Vatican for years.

Tress

Tress

As I recall, many American Catholics think the Pope is too radical (lol!) for their tastes.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm not catholic or anything, but isn't the pope supposed to be the direct line to God? So, if you're catholic, and disagree with the pope, shouldn't that trigger some kind of soul-searching to understand why you disagree with God?

Frank

Frank

I'm not catholic or anything, but isn't the pope supposed to be the direct line to God? So, if you're catholic, and disagree with the pope, shouldn't that trigger some kind of soul-searching to understand why you disagree with God?
You might not be Catholic, but you are American.

blotsfan

blotsfan

:(

@Li3n

@Li3n

Only if he speaks ex cathedra.

But yeah, agreeing that the Pope is the supreme earthly authority in matters of faith is why Roman Catholicism exists.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

--Patrick

BErt

BErt

Well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

--Patrick
Vatican III: Attack of the Cardinals

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

To be frank, the Catholic Church has needed another Reformation for a long time, but I doubt it survives the next one. Part of the reason why American Bishops kind of just do whatever they want is because they know there isn't a single one of them that would ever be considered for the Papacy (simply because the rest of the Catholic church HATES the American hardliners). If the Pope tells them to back down, they'll just walk and reform as the American Catholic Church.

As for Biden... I wouldn't be surprised if the Catholic Church suddenly has to start paying taxes on it's properties if they actually deny him communion. He's a member in good standing and it really can't be argued (legally) that his beliefs aren't in line with the Church's when the Church isn't even willing to pick a position and stick to it.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Well, if my American-Catholic relatives are a typical example, than the rules of Catholicism need to be followed to the letter... except when it might interfere with something they want or someone they don't like. That includes the Pope.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Well, if my American-Catholic relatives are a typical example, than the rules of Catholicism need to be followed to the letter... except when it might interfere with something they want or someone they don't like. That includes the Pope.
I just don't get it..or rather, I don't get folks who treat religion more like a social club. I mean, if the religion you're following says shit you don't believe in, I'll bet a dollar you can easily find one that lines up perfectly with your beliefs. Go join that one and quit calling yourself a member of the one you don't agree with.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I gotta say, I always knew american Catholics caused trouble for the pope but I thought it was because they were less strict, not more.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

To be frank
Hey wait a second. @Frank, did you sign off on this?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I just don't get it..or rather, I don't get folks who treat religion more like a social club. I mean, if the religion you're following says shit you don't believe in, I'll bet a dollar you can easily find one that lines up perfectly with your beliefs. Go join that one and quit calling yourself a member of the one you don't agree with.
I just found the most appropriate quote for this

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

jwhouk

jwhouk

That was a quote by the great Billy Sunday, by the way.

Frank

Frank

Hey wait a second. @Frank, did you sign off on this?
Don't take the lord's name in vain.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wouldn't be surprised if the Catholic Church suddenly has to start paying taxes on it's properties if they actually deny him communion.
From your lips to God's ears.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If I had the means, I'd leave this job and this state so goddamned fast. If I *really* had the means, I'd just retire to San Diego.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's IT! If the current administration doesn't do something about this RIGHT FUCKING NOW, it's all over.

"Republicans" vote to suppress federal bill that would have preempted state laws designed to suppress voters.
The Senate needed to reach 60 votes to break the filibuster, rather than a simple majority or party-line vote to proceed. A vote on whether to begin debate before a vote on the bill failed along party lines, with all 50 Democrats and Democrat-leaning senators supporting it, and all Republicans against it. [...] Democrats have failed to secure support to overturn filibuster rules, effectively ceding control of a marginally Democratically controlled Congress and the fate of the president’s agenda to the “bipartisan” ambitions of centrist Democrats like Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema along with Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Republicans.
I am not kidding. If something similar doesn't get passed and the GQP gets to keep their dual-class voting stock intact for the next 18 months, it will be the literal end of this republic.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Manchin: "Only a Democrat like me could possibly get elected here"
Everybody else: "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"

I understand a moderate wanting to not be the Deciding Vote on some far-left agenda policy. Feel free to have a personal opinion, in fact, I applaud it. Daring to stand up to the party is important to keep a democracy healthy, here in Belgium our senate and parliament seats could be replaced with just X buttons on the desk of the party chair and nobody would notice.
What I don't understand is apparently not realizing or caring that you're effectively handing the entire next election cycle to the other party, and as PatrThom says, you may well be the undertaker of democracy in doing so.

PatrThom

PatrThom

What I don't understand is apparently not realizing or caring that you're effectively handing the entire next election cycle to the other party, and as PatrThom says, you may well be the undertaker of democracy in doing so.
Too many of our current public servants are focused on squabbling with their peers and not bothering to consider what effect their actions will have on their constituencies.

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

Too many of our current public servants are focused on squabbling with their peers and not bothering to consider what effect their actions will have on their constituencies.

--Patrick
Not to mention all they ever care about is getting re-elected in the next cycle. That’s all they actually think about.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Krisken

Krisken

Uh... what was different? Hm.... I wonder if Hillary knows....

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I gotta say, I always knew american Catholics caused trouble for the pope but I thought it was because they were less strict, not more.
The Church is a lot more complex than people think. It also goes through 'liberal' and 'conservative' phases, Francis is considered more liberal, while the US Conference of Catholic Bishops is currently more conservative.
I guess the idea is that you don't go to a church because you agree, but because you think it's true. It's a lifetime of working on things, everyone is working on different things.

I wrestle with a lot of Catholicism right now, but overall I think I believe in its teachings. I am willing to observe what they teach where I don't agree, and they are willing to wait and answer questions, and reason with me.

But if you truly believe that something (say, abortion) the church teaches is UNTRUE, then yes, I am confused as to why you continue to assert you're part of that group in a serious way.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just want to point out that what the Catholic Church considers "liberal," including Francis, is still very very conservative.

Tress

Tress

I just want to point out that what the Catholic Church considers "liberal," including Francis, is still very very conservative.
To be fair, Francis doesn’t claim to be liberal or progressive. The asshole Catholics in the US are the ones calling him that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

To be fair, Francis doesn’t claim to be liberal or progressive. The asshole Catholics in the US are the ones calling him that.
It's also the US Media, who want to pass the feel good story of there finally being a 'good' pope. So when Francis says that gay people should be treated with respect, they pounce on that and totally ignore the fact he still doesn't think they should have basic rights like marriage or adoption.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's also the US Media, who want to pass the feel good story of there finally being a 'good' pope. So when Francis says that gay people should be treated with respect, they pounce on that and totally ignore the fact he still doesn't think they should have basic rights like marriage or adoption.
Eh. He thinks straight people shouldn't marry unless it's to have sex and reproduce. Accepting the premise that marriage is only the confirmation of a commitment for procreation, it logically follows that gay marriage doesn't make sense. People like me, straight and married but with no intent to procreate, are just as bad. It may not be modern thinking, but it's fair and consistent. 90% of "proper" marriages don't count either, of course, and that's a part many American catholics won't accept. But at least it's clear and fair, if not very open or accepting of love in all its forms.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Eh. He thinks straight people shouldn't marry unless it's to have sex and reproduce. Accepting the premise that marriage is only the confirmation of a commitment for procreation, it logically follows that gay marriage doesn't make sense. People like me, straight and married but with no intent to procreate, are just as bad. It may not be modern thinking, but it's fair and consistent. 90% of "proper" marriages don't count either, of course, and that's a part many American catholics won't accept. But at least it's clear and fair, if not very open or accepting of love in all its forms.
Yeah, no, I don't find any need to excuse anyone in positions of power trying to limit the freedoms of others.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Why do you do this?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Why do you do this?
Paint a different opinion than mine as "not evil"? Try to be understanding and open to the idea other people can have bad opinions that don't mean they're bad through and through? Gosh, I dunno. Maybe because I prefer not constantly being in a echo chamber where only one mindset is allowed?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Feels like Bubble is just bringing to light how many different definitions of marriage we actually have. Some consider it a holy union, some consider it a contract of procreation, others consider it a joint declaration of love, and others use it as a way for one to gain ownership of the other. It really has no set meaning from nation to nation, religion to religion, and is one reason why I wish it was abolished from any type of government declaration. There should be no reason a gay man can't visit his dying husband in the hospital just because the state does not recognize them as "spouses". Sick of it.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Paint a different opinion than mine as "not evil"? Try to be understanding and open to the idea other people can have bad opinions that don't mean they're bad through and through? Gosh, I dunno. Maybe because I prefer not constantly being in a echo chamber where only one mindset is allowed?
But it is evil and you know that. So all you’re doing is saying stupid things that you know are stupid just so you can try to make yourself feel superior to people who don’t feel the need to defend the indefensible.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It may not be modern thinking, but it's fair and consistent.
No, it's NOT fair and consistent. Precisely because:

90% of "proper" marriages don't count either,
If the Roman Catholic Church were actively working against those "proper" marriages as hard as they were against gay marriage, then maybe it would be fair and consistent. But they're not. So it's a problem.

This isn't just a theoretical point. What the pope says on this matter isn't just some theological thought experiment. His stance on this issue influences a tremendous amount of wealth and power, and has ramifications that must be taken into account. If the Pope were actually being "fair" about this, then he would be advocating for fair treatment of everyone, but he's not. He can't say we're supposed to "love gay people", but then wash his hands of the problems that denying them marriage causes. One of the big problems in the United States, and presumably other countries, is that marriage is the only way for two adults to become family. (That, historically, is an aberration.) Our legal, medical, financial, etc systems are built up on the idea that family has special privileges, and marriage is unfairly enshrined as the ultimate form of family. So when the Pope says we should treat gay people well, but doesn't at the same time advocate for a way for them to become a part of a family, then he is not actually following his own teaching.

Cog

Cog

For catholics, marriage is a sacrament. It's an union blessed by god. I think they can put all the rules they want about it if you want to be married by a priest. It should only be a legal contract for protection in case of death or divorse. I think that people are more offended about the use of the word than the gender of the ones getting married. I think that is ridiculous because over here, if you marry by a priest, you are not legally married.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

At no point did I say Pope Francis or the catholic church are evil. I said they are in no way progressive or liberal and are very much conservative. If you conflate conservative with evil, well you're right, but that's beside the point.

Krisken

Krisken

For catholics, marriage is a sacrament. It's an union blessed by god. I think they can put all the rules they want about it if you want to be married by a priest. It should only be a legal contract for protection in case of death or divorse. I think that people are more offended about the use of the word than the gender of the ones getting married. I think that is ridiculous because over here, if you marry by a priest, you are not legally married.
That is patently untrue. They definitely use that as an excuse for bigotry though.

While it would be great to divorce (no pun intended) the use of "marriage" from the legal definition, it's unfortunately already embedded deep in US law. Without using the word marriage, what we would consider spouses would be and historically were denied making medical decisions for their loved ones, inheriting their property after they pass, and even tax benefits.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Paint a different opinion than mine as "not evil"? Try to be understanding and open to the idea other people can have bad opinions
Yes exactly how dare you.

—Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

But it is evil and you know that. So all you’re doing is saying stupid things that you know are stupid just so you can try to make yourself feel superior to people who don’t feel the need to defend the indefensible.
You know, a notable Roman leader once asked, “What is truth?”

Evil and stupid and indefensible all erode truth.

blotsfan

blotsfan

You know, a notable Roman leader once asked, “What is truth?”

Evil and stupid and indefensible all erode truth.
So you agree with their stance? Or are you just trying to muddy the waters to defend something that you know is wrong?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So you agree with their stance? Or are you just trying to muddy the waters to defend something that you know is wrong?
Listen, if someone doesn't stand up for one of the most powerful organizations on the planet then who will?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Blots: right now the only difference between you and Tucker Carlson is the names and the faces.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Blots: right now the only difference between you and Tucker Carlson is the names and the faces.
I disagree with almost everything he believes. I don’t feel the need to defend or rationalize his beliefs.

Bubble181

Bubble181

There is a wide gulf between defending and trying to see a different point of view.
Look, the Catholic Church has had a lot of chances to be on the right side of history and morality, and frankly, it has whiffed on A LOT of them.
You won't see me try to explain or defend, say, killing 700 indigenous Canadian kids, or hiding pedophilia for decades, practically institutionalizing it.
Do I think the RCC is a horrible remnant of a different Era with backwards views on most moral and social rifts? Yes I do.
Do I think that means the RCC is automatically in the wrong and utterly indefensible on everything? No, I do not. Trying to look at an issue and understanding several different points of view (excluding the "let's just kill them all" style extremes) is a valuable learning experience and might change or shift your own points of view. Or it might at least help you understand how to better away people to your position. Considering all people on the other side of some imaginary line as automatically Evil, Wrong, and indefensible just puts you in an echo chamber and won't help anyone.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I misunderstood this initially so here's my new response:

I think that pedophilia is ok because if I said it would bad that would make me no different than people who say that other things are bad that might not actually be bad.

BErt

BErt

I think that pedophilia is ok
We got him boys @FBI

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

xkcd-devils-advocate.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

We got him boys @FBI
He was always so quiet, kept to himself, never really caused any ruckus. We never suspected anything.

--Patrick

BErt

BErt

I’m not a huge Joe fan but wow

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

As milqtoast and pathetic Joe often is politically, he has CLEARLY had enough of everyone's shit already.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Annnnnnddddd, Just stump the stupidity when the morons show up with what they've said instead of engaging . . . .

They should have been doing this shit when Obama was in office.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Like a boss

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Biden event has hecklers. "It's fine, let them talk. No one cares."

Trump rally has protestors. "Get those sons of bitches out of here."

Trump is the First Amendment President. :rolleyes:

Frank

Frank

BErt

BErt

LOL fuck this loser

jwhouk

jwhouk

This just in: there are people who believe that he won't be president next year because he'll be impeached when the "red wave" hits in November.

Just one little problem: the maths says there's no realistic way the GOP will have 67 votes in the Senate to remove him from office. And maybe someone needs to go over their civics courses they didn't have in their private/charter schools that would have told them that removal from office would mean that VP Harris would then become President.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This just in: there are people who believe that he won't be president next year because he'll be impeached when the "red wave" hits in November.

Just one little problem: the maths says there's no realistic way the GOP will have 67 votes in the Senate to remove him from office. And maybe someone needs to go over their civics courses they didn't have in their private/charter schools that would have told them that removal from office would mean that VP Harris would then become President.
NUH UH WE'LL INCLUDE HER

OK even if that was how it worked, which it isn't, next in line is the Speaker of the House.... Nancy Pelosi.

(Sound of QOP head exploding)

Bubble181

Bubble181

NUH UH WE'LL INCLUDE HER

OK even if that was how it worked, which it isn't, next in line is the Speaker of the House.... Nancy Pelosi.

(Sound of QOP head exploding)
We can just keep going 'till we hit the person we want! Which will of course be... Speaker? Whip? Whatever, Trump.

BErt

BErt

I thought their plan was to install Trump as speaker before they did all this - you know, a perfectly sane plan

blotsfan

blotsfan

I mean, if the republicans take the house she wouldn’t be.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I mean, if the republicans take the house she wouldn’t be.
Fair point. I forgot the other part of the delusion.

Frank

Frank

Biden, despite his claims otherwise in getting elected, will never do a fucking thing to help your student debt issue.

Krisken

Krisken

I don't have a "DUH" emoji

MindDetective

MindDetective

I am in the process of getting some of debt taken care of due to his temporary student debt relief. It might not be enough or fast enough for you but it is literally true that I am going to benefit from Biden's student debt relief.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Also, it says in the editor's note at the top that they are withdrawing the appeal.

Frank

Frank

That wasn't there before, but happy to proven wrong.

Krisken

Krisken

I am in the process of getting some of debt taken care of due to his temporary student debt relief. It might not be enough or fast enough for you but it is literally true that I am going to benefit from Biden's student debt relief.
Same here. We were at $54K for one of the wife's student loans before the interest freeze, and are now at $34K. That might not seem very big, but it's huge when you consider interest.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I am sooooo glad that I didn't have a whole lot of student loan debt, and I had already paid it off by the time I bought a house.

(two decades ago)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Biden has nominated Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to serve on the Supreme Court.

Dave

Dave

I like the pick (from what I know of her which is admittedly not much) but I think Biden fucked up by saying black woman before even starting his search. Had he given a short list with a myriad of people and THEN picked her I think it would have defanged the right's belief that her only qualification is race & gender. The way Biden did this means that her race and gender were, indeed, the main reason she was looked at before qualifications.

Shakey

Shakey

Unlike the last two where their religion was their main qualifier.
But I don’t disagree with you. It should have been handled better.

PatrThom

PatrThom

her race and gender were, indeed, the main reason she was looked at before qualifications.
Hey don't forget that she's only 51 years old, too.

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

I like the pick (from what I know of her which is admittedly not much) but I think Biden fucked up by saying black woman before even starting his search. Had he given a short list with a myriad of people and THEN picked her I think it would have defanged the right's belief that her only qualification is race & gender. The way Biden did this means that her race and gender were, indeed, the main reason she was looked at before qualifications.
Honestly, if he had given a list that included any white men on it, he would have gotten flak from the left. There is no appeasing people who hate you for the party you belong to. Let them complain because there are loads of qualifies judges of almost every gender and ethnicity.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Manchin is gonna vote against her.

Dave

Dave

No way! What an absolute shock!

D

Dubyamn

You would have thought he would have learned after he did the exact same thing and got saddled with Harris.

blotsfan

blotsfan

No way! What an absolute shock!
Oh I guess I should clarify that that’s a prediction and not something he’s actually said.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Maybe that'll change soon? Hopefully?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And with that, over a year of my life is officially erased.

Frank

Frank

I hope in a positive way.

Frank

Frank

Don't let anyone gaslight you into thinking student loan forgiveness isn't popular.

It got wrestling fans to cheer for Biden, wrestling fans in Ohio.

Any reference to Biden has been vociferously booed every other time Max has brought him up in his entrance raps.

Shakey

Shakey

mikerc

mikerc

Makes sense. If I was Biden I'd want to get as many confirmed before the midterms in case I couldn't get any after.

For that matter I wonder how many of these are appointments Obama tried to make only for Mitch McConell to refuse to even hold a vote on them?