Baton Rouge cops enforce sodomy laws...so mad right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
http://theadvocate.com/home/6580728-125/gays-in-baton-rouge-arrested

An undercover East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputy was staking out Manchac Park about 10 a.m. one day this month when a slow-moving sedan pulling into the parking lot caught his attention. The deputy parked alongside the 65-year-old driver and, after denying being a cop, began a casual conversation that was electronically monitored by a backup team nearby.
As the two men moved their chat to a picnic table, the deputy propositioned his target with “some drinks and some fun” back at his place, later inquiring whether the man had any condoms, according to court records. After following the deputy to a nearby apartment, the man was handcuffed and booked into Parish Prison on a single count of attempted crime against nature.
There had been no sex-for-money deal between the two. The men did not agree to have sex in the park, a public place. And the count against the man was based on a part of Louisiana’s anti-sodomy law struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court a decade ago.

:mad: Are you fucking kidding me? This is ridiculous. Pissed off at my state right now... as if Baton Rouge wasn't terrible enough.

Sounds like it isn't a thing. Sounds like the Supreme Court struck down that law a decade prior.
Oh well then, we should tell the guy arrested that he's simply mistaken.

It doesn't matter what the Supreme Court says is some places simply choose to ignore it.

Isnt it entrapment if the cop suggest the "crime" and the perpetrator just goes along with the flow?
No. Entrapment occurs when the officer pushes, bullies, or otherwise presses the suspect into performing a crime. In other words, the officer has to create a situation where the suspect commits a crime that he or she would not have been able to commit, or willing to commit.

Situation 1: I suggest we go rob a bank. You agree. NOT entrapment. Your ass is going to jail.

Situation 2: I suggest we rob a bank and you say no. Then I come back with a plan, equipment, guns, and make it seem so easy that you finally agree after an hour of convincing. That's entrapment.

Dreadful, worrying and disgusting.

If I'm ever called on to enact anything like this, I will drop my badge right there on the ground and make my way to the nearest outlet where I can decry such actions.

An undercover East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputy ... after denying being a cop,
I forgot in the world of shitty journalism, a cop has to identify themselves as such if asked. :facepalm:

I can't believe these laws are even still on the books. Shame on whoever's idea this was, as well as the cop (if they're not the same).

Supreme Court, Lawrence vs. Texas, 2003.

When officers are instructed to do this sort of thing, I often wonder if higher ups are trying to get the law struck down officially so they don't have to deal with citizen complaints. Only necessary when legislators are unwilling to act, and this might be the case here.

Supreme Court, Lawrence vs. Texas, 2003.

When officers are instructed to do this sort of thing, I often wonder if higher ups are trying to get the law struck down officially so they don't have to deal with citizen complaints. Only necessary when legislators are unwilling to act, and this might be the case here.
Citizen complaints?

It sounds like this park had a problem with people having sex in public and/or prostitution, and sheriff's office started these sting operations to crack down on that. Then, somewhere along the line, they took it way too far and started going after gay men for being gay. The bastards.

Cajungal

Staff member
My home can be a confusing place. In Lafayette and Baton Rouge there's a pretty fair population of more socially liberal people--at least it seems to be growing... and then a much louder group of mostly older people who need to be pushed out to sea.

My home can be a confusing place. In Lafayette and Baton Rouge there's a pretty fair population of more socially liberal people--at least it seems to be growing... and then a much louder group of mostly older people who need to be pushed out to sea.
This just in Cajungal agrees with killing the elderly once they reach a certain age. Read the story exclusively on Fox!

Anti-sodomy laws are almost exclusively used against homosexual men. You'll never see them used against anal sex between a man and woman.
Disagree, in almost every single case of rape accusation in the military that change is thrown in. If it's on the books in the state that you are in (or deploying base is in) they will tack into the allegations for any sexual misconduct charge.

Dave

Staff member
No. Entrapment occurs when the officer pushes, bullies, or otherwise presses the suspect into performing a crime. In other words, the officer has to create a situation where the suspect commits a crime that he or she would not have been able to commit, or willing to commit.

Situation 1: I suggest we go rob a bank. You agree. NOT entrapment. Your ass is going to jail.

Situation 2: I suggest we rob a bank and you say no. Then I come back with a plan, equipment, guns, and make it seem so easy that you finally agree after an hour of convincing. That's entrapment.
And yet situation #2 is how they've gotten some of the "terrorist" convictions of local idiots or mosque members.

And yet situation #2 is how they've gotten some of the "terrorist" convictions of local idiots or mosque members.
Ah, but slap the "terrorism" label on any crime, and suddenly the defendant has no rights, no legal status, and is obviously anti-american, and probably brown, so nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.