Ban every gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck the bear analogy, I don't care.

People can still shoot for sport if they want, but it's still murder practice to me. Maybe there can be firing ranges where the guns stay, but even then, that makes them fairly attractive to steal.
Pretty much all of the Olympics are murder practice. We should ban those.

Example, then.

For every legitimate bear killed there are still hundreds of young people in cities shot dead by handguns held by gang members or the police.

Example, then.

For every legitimate bear killed there are still hundreds of young people in cities shot dead by handguns held by gang members or the police.
So, what you're advocating is stricter gun control on small arms? That I can agree with you on. Maybe you should start there.

My favorite part of Charlie's argument is how he somehow expect unarmed officers to be able to bring in people who refuse to turn in their weapons and aren't afraid to use them.

Example, then.

It's almost like you grab a book on logical fallacies and go chapter by chapter.

I'm all for repealing of the second amendment and crazy strict gun control, but jesus man, leaving out any semblance of logic or perspective on real life makes a poor argument.

Dave

Staff member
In 2005 there were 30,694 deaths by guns - including suicides. Same year, 43,443 people died in cars.

Teh numbers from 2010 show auto accidents at 37,661 and guns at 30,323 - and 19,308 of those were suicides. Cars are more dangerous than guns. So while I understand your ire at guns, I feel that it's a tad overstated.

In 2005 there were 30,694 deaths by guns - including suicides. Same year, 43,443 people died in cars.

the numbers from 2010 show auto accidents at 37,661 and guns at 30,323 - and 19,308 of those were suicides. Cars are more dangerous than guns. So while I understand your ire at guns, I feel that it's a tad overstated.
I'll have to totally disagree with this comparison. Car deaths are accidental. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of those deaths by gun were intentional.

Apples to oranges.

Necronic

Staff member
I'll be honest I have a problem with gun ownership these days as well. There are too many morons out there with guns and it is wayyyyy to easy to bypass background checks (through private sales/"parking lot" deals). Close those loopholes and you go a long way towards fixing things. But, you know, if we can't fix these, incredibly simple and obvious loopholes, what makes people think anything else is possible?

Also, since I just read this article and it's somewhat appropo and interesting as all get out:

http://gizmodo.com/5927379/the-secret-online-weapons-store-thatll-sell-anyone-anything

Same results, what does intention have to do with killing. Anyone that is proven to be texting while murdering should be treated as though it was an intentional act.[DOUBLEPOST=1342809620][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'll be honest I have a problem with gun ownership these days as well. There are too many morons out there with guns and it is wayyyyy to easy to bypass background checks (through private sales/"parking lot" deals). Close those loopholes and you go a long way towards fixing things. But, you know, if we can't fix these, incredibly simple and obvious loopholes, what makes people think anything else is possible?

Also, since I just read this article and it's somewhat appropo and interesting as all get out:

http://gizmodo.com/5927379/the-secret-online-weapons-store-thatll-sell-anyone-anything
That article does me little good, there is no contact information.

I can say this, in my opinion, the US does need a stricter hand in small arms (pistols and semi-auto guns like the, I believe banned, Tec-9). Crime in the US isn't any worse than most countries, it's just your bloody lethal crime that is higher.

Same results, what does intention have to do with killing. Anyone that is proven to be texting while murdering should be treated as though it was an intentional act.
It is not the same at all. When it comes to firearms, intention means everything. Without access to guns, these people would not be able to exercise that intention.

Using automobile accidents as a comparison is a strawman argument.

If you are texting and driving, you do intend to harm people. Casual disregard for safety is not an accident.

Half of gun deaths are suicide, don't tell me they can't find any other way that is just as simple.

Necronic

Staff member
If you are texting and driving, you do intend to harm people. Casual disregard for safety is not an accident.
So a casual (ie not thought out) disregard for safety is the same thing as cold-blooded murder.

Yes. I would like to know more about this fascinating thesis.

So a casual (ie not thought out) disregard for safety is the same thing as cold-blooded murder.

Yes. I would like to know more about this fascinating thesis.
It is not casual, you know texting and driving is a dangerous thing to do. So a person with that knowledge will get in 2+ tons of steel and careen around wildly until they kill. Might as well stand on a street corner and fire a gun indiscriminately. Then tell cops that it was an accident that you struck someone.

Necronic

Staff member
M8, I was using your own word there.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that safety is incredibly important and people should understand what they are getting into and what their responsibility is. The sad thing, however, is that most people don't treat safety as that serious of an issue, be it when it comes to driving distracted (or, in ye olden days, drunk), or wearing flip flops and shorts when mowing (really dumb). It's dumb and it's dangerous, but it's not it done through malice, only through stupidity. Also, unless there is a law against it, it's not illegal to drive distracted.

Murdering someone, on the other hand, is illegal, and is never casual. It is intentional.

M8, I was using your own word there.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that safety is incredibly important and people should understand what they are getting into and what their responsibility is. The sad thing, however, is that most people don't treat safety as that serious of an issue, be it when it comes to driving distracted (or, in ye olden days, drunk), or wearing flip flops and shorts when mowing (really dumb). It's dumb and it's dangerous, but it's not it done through malice, only through stupidity. Also, unless there is a law against it, it's not illegal to drive distracted.

Murdering someone, on the other hand, is illegal, and is never casual. It is intentional.
Duh, and not all gun deaths are murder.

Also Driving while texting is illegal in North Carolina and several other states (I don't know how many, but I know we weren't the first).

Dave

Staff member
I know, but with these stats you have car deaths that are suicide, car deaths that are murder (drunk driving, texting, intentionally running someone down, hit & run, etc) and everything. Which is why I didn't bother differentiating.

Necronic

Staff member
I'm just saying that there is something VERY different between being irresponsible and accidentally getting someone killed (drunk driving/texting while driving), and pointing a gun at someone with the intention of killing them and then killing them.

I mean, people get accidentally killed all the time with guns due to irresponsible actions. We don't consider them the same things as murder.

Because it's not murder. Murder is murder.

Murder is a funny word. Murder. Sounds strange.

My point is, it has no place in the discussion.
You are exactly right.

Heart disease kills more than both combined, so maybe if we compare them we'll find some insight into the gun problem.

Wrongity wrong wrong wrong.

If guns are bad or good the reasons why should stand on their own merit. Using knives or cars as a comparison is merely a crutch for those who have no good reason to back up their argument regarding gun legislation.

One of the things practically sewn into the DNA of most Americans is the concept that they have the right to defend their lives, their families, and their property with lethal force.

Until you convince the majority that they should not have that right, then you will simply not get very far.

Convince them, however, that the life of the attacker is more important than their own safety and you will get somewhere.

Necronic

Staff member
Thing is, I get the logic, I get the constitution, I get why people want guns (hell I want one).

But I don't get why a ghetto isn't a safe place since so many people are armed.

Let's also get rid of any and all blades. If I use an ax to cut down to cut down a tree, it is just practice for cutting the legs off of a person. If I use a knife to cut vegetables, I'm just practicing to cut someone's fingers off. It's totally the same.

I can say this, in my opinion, the US does need a stricter hand in small arms (pistols and semi-auto guns like the, I believe banned, Tec-9). Crime in the US isn't any worse than most countries, it's just your bloody lethal crime that is higher.
More people are incarcerated per capita in the United States than any other nation by a big margin, if I remember correctly.[DOUBLEPOST=1342814544][/DOUBLEPOST]
Let's also get rid of any and all blades. If I use an ax to cut down to cut down a tree, it is just practice for cutting the legs off of a person. If I use a knife to cut vegetables, I'm just practicing to cut someone's fingers off. It's totally the same.
This is a really fucking stupid post. You literally cannot do anything with a gun except fire something very small, very fast, into something with the intention of harming it. Blades are intensely useful for a huge number of non-lethal purposes.

Go fuck yourself, you amazingly lovely man. There are uses for guns that don't involve killing people, but you choose to ignore them because they don't support your dimwitted premise. I'm just applying the same dipshit logic you use to blades to display how pathetic your "logic" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.