[Gaming] Baldur's Gate 3

GasBandit

Staff member
For the briefest of moments, Karlach sees right through the 4th wall and comes to a terrifying realization about her own existence

So I encountered a very funny bug. I knocked out the girl with the hag's brothers with non-lethal damage. I then long rested and came back to where they were and their bodies were gone. I assumed I'd find them again when I got to the bog and that they had gotten up and ran off and gotten themselves killed like usual. Nope. No sign of them.

I go inside Ethel's hut and the dialog plays out like normal, except I can now tell Maryna that I knocked her brothers out. What plays out is her screaming at the top of her lungs "NOOOOOO!!!! EVERYONE IS DEAD!" and this plays multiple times before the dialog goes back to normal.

Ok, Jesus, I'm never using non-lethal damage again. It's worse than just gutting them I guess.

Shouldn't have even bothered with it as an option since it doesn't really work. Enemies that you 'need' to not kill will just surrender.

GasBandit

Staff member
So I encountered a very funny bug. I knocked out the girl with the hag's brothers with non-lethal damage. I then long rested and came back to where they were and their bodies were gone. I assumed I'd find them again when I got to the bog and that they had gotten up and ran off and gotten themselves killed like usual. Nope. No sign of them.

I go inside Ethel's hut and the dialog plays out like normal, except I can now tell Maryna that I knocked her brothers out. What plays out is her screaming at the top of her lungs "NOOOOOO!!!! EVERYONE IS DEAD!" and this plays multiple times before the dialog goes back to normal.

Ok, Jesus, I'm never using non-lethal damage again. It's worse than just gutting them I guess.

Shouldn't have even bothered with it as an option since it doesn't really work. Enemies that you 'need' to not kill will just surrender.
Yeah, I was complaining about that back on page 1 -

The Auntie Ethel quest line is buggy AF. It practically SHOUTS "use non lethal damage" but it doesn't seem to make a difference even in the dialogs.
I also tried to save the people in masks by using non lethal damage, but it just deletes them after a long rest, too.

The thing about non-lethal damage is that, unless the person knocked out gets the "Unconscious (Temporary)" status effect (as opposed to just "Unconscious"), apparently the game's script engine decides they're dead and treats everything accordingly. And only super-notable NPCs seem to get that "Temporary" version of the status effect.

For example, Minthara gets the "Temporary" version. But it doesn't matter, because as I said before, knocking her out and coming back later after a long rest just bugs her out to where she can't even enter conversation.

You can get away with just attacking the hag when you meet the three. Then save the girl and her husband. Then practice your alchemy.

GasBandit

Staff member
You can get away with just attacking the hag when you meet the three. Then save the girl and her husband. Then practice your alchemy.
Ironically my best version of the Aunt Ethel quest was in my latest playthrough,

where I was using a mod to increase my party size so I could have every character in the group at once so nobody ever missed out on quest stuff.

The group formation was so large that when I was in the teahouse, and Ethel had told me she wouldn't make a deal with me because I was already missing an eye (I let Volo do his thing by this point), I wandered around in the interior and one of my companions moved to stay in formation and ended up walking through to the other side of the fake fireplace, which instantly put Ethel into combat mode. Usually she goes invisible and runs for the fireplace. And she did go invisible, but I could still see her because of Volo's eye, and she couldn't run through the fireplace because my party member was standing in the middle of the door blocking it.

So I drank a haste potion and beat her down right there in two rounds.

Going downstairs, all her torture victims were freed already, including the seer elf and the petrified dwarf. Three of the four mask wearers were still wearing the mask but would converse instead of attack, and were in denial about Ethel being dead. But the fourth had removed her own mask and thanked me for saving her.

The girl was still mad at me for "ruining everything," at first, until I revealed that the hag had intended to turn her baby into a hag, then she was repentent. So I used the wand to reanimate her husband and gave it to her, and sent her on her way.

Ironically my best version of the Aunt Ethel quest was in my latest playthrough,

where I was using a mod to increase my party size so I could have every character in the group at once so nobody ever missed out on quest stuff.

The group formation was so large that when I was in the teahouse, and Ethel had told me she wouldn't make a deal with me because I was already missing an eye (I let Volo do his thing by this point), I wandered around in the interior and one of my companions moved to stay in formation and ended up walking through to the other side of the fake fireplace, which instantly put Ethel into combat mode. Usually she goes invisible and runs for the fireplace. And she did go invisible, but I could still see her because of Volo's eye, and she couldn't run through the fireplace because my party member was standing in the middle of the door blocking it.

So I drank a haste potion and beat her down right there in two rounds.

Going downstairs, all her torture victims were freed already, including the seer elf and the petrified dwarf. Three of the four mask wearers were still wearing the mask but would converse instead of attack, and were in denial about Ethel being dead. But the fourth had removed her own mask and thanked me for saving her.

The girl was still mad at me for "ruining everything," at first, until I revealed that the hag had intended to turn her baby into a hag, then she was repentent. So I used the wand to reanimate her husband and gave it to her, and sent her on her way.
The min/maxer in me can't walk away without auntie Ethel's hair

The dead bodies never question a buff Drow lady dressed exactly like the Half-orc that just set them on fire moments ago.

Playing this time going more evil than not, and talking with the goddess Shar, she's like tone it down there kiddo. Your murderousness is at an 11 we need you at like a 5. So glad I picked female drow of Lloth.

GasBandit

Staff member
Turns out the "barbarian lockpick" doesn't actually destroy any loot in a chest.

Also, if you pass a dialog check, save and load, non-lethal knockout who you just passed the check with, save and load, and then kill the knocked out npc... you can get triple experience for any given encounter.

Last edited:
Also, if you pass a dialog check, save and load, non-lethal knockout who you just passed the check with, save and load, and then kill the knocked out npc... you can get triple experience for any given encounter.
This has been known since pretty much launch, though there's really no reason to go through so much trouble. Just normal play will get you to max level long before you ever hit the end of the game

You know, I wish there were more variety in the PC voice choices. There's 4 varieties of British dandy for men and the same for women. No matter which voice you pick, your hulking half-orc or dragonborn barbarian will sound like they're late for tea.