[Gaming] Baldur's Gate 3

Are there any game/plot-related issues with taking as many Long Rests as you want? The first long rest I took was part of advancing the plot (Astarion et al.) but it's made me hesitate to take any long rests as a result. I almost avoid them as much as possible which makes the game a bit of a resource scarcity slog as a result.
The ones I know of for sure:

In Act 1
If you rest too much the ritual in the Grove will finish and you will get locked out, unless you get Kahga to stop it or you finish the goblin fort.
Once you go to the Duegar fort, you need to save Nere without resting or he just dies.
Act 2
Once you find out about the prisoners you have a few long rests, but if you take too many they will die

So to clarify the answer is: It dependts.

But I'm also hearing that there's not a definitive Long Rest Countdown clock that we at 31 Long Rests, the plot advances to a new Act or anything like that.
Basically, the only time a long rest can hurt you is incredibly telegraphed, such at "so and so is trapped and we need to get them out fast before they die." Note that in this specific scenario even leaving the area will cause the trapped people to die.

Otherwise, not only does long resting not hurt you, you probably aren't long resting enough for proper plot points to play out. Long rest more, you have far more resources than you need. Sometimes I long rest and then long rest again right away.

In Act 1
If you rest too much the ritual in the Grove will finish and you will get locked out, unless you get Kahga to stop it or you finish the goblin fort.
Once you go to the Duegar fort, you need to save Nere without resting or he just dies.
Act 2
Once you find out about the prisoners you have a few long rests, but if you take too many they will die
I want to point out that for the first point there, the number of times you need to long rest to fail this is so high that you are unlikely to ever do it unless you are specifically trying to

Yeah, I've rested a TON in act 1 and never had the first happen. I rest just to not hear my party bitch and moan for missing a single spell slot.

GALE.

Basically, the only time a long rest can hurt you is incredibly telegraphed, such at "so and so is trapped and we need to get them out fast before they die." Note that in this specific scenario even leaving the area will cause the trapped people to die.
Yeah that one is obvious but

Prisoners in Moonrise really aren't telegraphed about when it will happen. It's not immediate, it takes a few days, but I had it happen and the only alert I got that I failed was that my journal updated.

Bah I glitched myself into a terminal playthrough my second time around. No matter what happens right after the grove celebrations, game over.

Bah I glitched myself into a terminal playthrough my second time around. No matter what happens right after the grove celebrations, game over.
Don't kill Gale and take 2 long rests lol

JFC act 3 is so fucking buggy.
Yeah and a bit counterintuitive. So many quests to perform outside of the main arc. Led me to finish the main arc way overpowered. Killed the arc bosses in 1 round. Lae'zel with 9 attacks for the win!

I think I'm just going to keep playing as the origin characters. I'm playing Gale right now and Tara is super adorable and now I want to find out what unique content each character brings to the story.

I think I'm just going to keep playing as the origin characters. I'm playing Gale right now and Tara is super adorable and now I want to find out what unique content each character brings to the story.
Oh no, you actually are turning into Gale... just can't stop talking about your cat :p

Also, make sure you do a Dark Urge run at least once, whichever direction you want to take it.

Seriously, having a matronly little winged cat in camp who just adores chin skritches is literally soothing to me right now.

Non-Gale players are robbed.

GasBandit

Staff member
Snuffles and I finished our playthrough yesterday. Glad we took long enough for patch 2 to have hit before we did, for reasons I won't spoil for those who don't know.

@Squidleybits "How are you so far ahead!?"

me "Well on the second play through since you know the fights, they all start with fireball. It's very 3e."

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
As an experiment, I 1-shot killed Shadowheart while she was unconscious on the beach at the beginning of Act 1, then resurrected her.

All that happened is it bugged her out so she couldn't start a conversation.

I tried "knocking out" Minthara then long-resting to let her wake up. She did wake up. But she was similarly bugged and would not talk. She would still give me the stink eye if I stole something in her area though.

In Act 1
Act 2
And as I just learned, if Gale dies, he really really means it when he says you have two days to resurrect him.

GasBandit

Staff member
It occurs to me...

I want a "Goblin Slayer" mod for BG3.

No, no, I know it's within the scope of the game already to create a human ranger proficient in heavy armor and short swords with favored enemy:goblinoids...

But I need goblin-slayer specific dialog options for all conversations.

basically MC-kun hitting long rest and when everybody's trying to get in his pants he'll be going all

1694364516414.jpeg

Also "We did it, we wiped out the goblin camp."

Ok, quest over. Bye.

"But, what about the mindflayers? And the Absolute? Aren't you coming to the towers and baldur's gate and.."

Nope. Gotta find some goblins.

"... there will be goblins, I promise."

Then let's go. No long rest til I've killed at least 10 goblins.