Export thread

Baldur's Gate 3

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, this is turning out to be a pretty big game, so I'm making a dedicated thread for it.

This game is a fucking masterpiece. It's not flawless, I've run into a few bugs and being such a big game I've had a few instances where certain game systems just kinda broke, but none of that detracts from how much fun I'm having.

My best moment, so far, has been a certain hobgoblin boss I was having a hard time defeating. Then I started thinking outside the box, and took a trip to the apothecary.

With a potion of invisibility, I walked in, strode up to the boss, and shoved him off a cliff to his immediate death.

Before his underlings could act I drank another invisibility potion and then walked out

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's some ant-man-up-thanos's-ass level tomfoolery there.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That's some ant-man-up-thanos's-ass level tomfoolery there.
I've found a lot of surprising outside the box ways to kill people. Because even on normal difficulty, the game is hard... D&D 5e can be a cruel system in combat when you are outnumbered, meaning you are really incentivized to find ways to not have to take on 20 guys at once. I've had situations where I turned the tables by having a rogue climbing up into the rafters and hiding there through an entire conversation, and the moment it ends having him reveal himself to start sneak-attacking fools for automatic crits. I've discovered that the silence status affliction also makes a character unable to scream for help, allowing me to Julius Caesar a goblin priestess in her chamber while her underlings partied and got drunk outside, and I've used an elixir of giant's growth to move a large object in front of a door so the bandits outside can't come in while I took out their leader and then snuck out through the window using a scroll of gaseous form.

bhamv3

bhamv3

If D:OS and D:OS2 are any indication, Larian absolutely love allowing players to come up with innovative solutions to challenging situations. There are many strategies and tricks in D:OS2 that are unabashedly overpowered, and Larian have basically said, "We don't care, we're not patching those tricks out, we want to reward players for thinking outside the box and being clever."

PatrThom

PatrThom

Other than SO GOOD the only other thing I’ve heard about it is that the first part is “too horny.”

—Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Other than SO GOOD the only other thing I’ve heard about it is that the first part is “too horny.”

—Patrick
It's only as horny as you want it to be, just don't flirt back.

But if you do, SO HORNY

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

20230806215702_1.jpg

What happens when you trust a bard to do brain surgery on your character? This... this happens.

Dei

Dei

It's only as horny as you want it to be, just don't flirt back.

But if you do, SO HORNY
Ok but what about
When you find the bugbear slamming a female ogre's ass while she eats a person?

Dei

Dei

There's a lot of issues with this game. ESPECIALLY in co-op, where I'm playing with a group of 4, and we can't do any companion quests because we can't put them in the party. (And we are also missing story from the two people who picked a companion character as a base, because they aren't having the same interactions.)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There's a lot of issues with this game. ESPECIALLY in co-op, where I'm playing with a group of 4, and we can't do any companion quests because we can't put them in the party. (And we are also missing story from the two people who picked a companion character as a base, because they aren't having the same interactions.)
One of the biggest problems I'm running into playing solo is having not all of my party enter combat at the same time, and me not noticing. I've gotten into the habit of paying attention to fix it, but it is annoying.

Also sometimes my UI will disappear and the only way I've found to fix it is to save and quit and come back. I've swapped over to using directx instead of vulkan, we'll see if that helps.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Ok but what about
When you find the bugbear slamming a female ogre's ass while she eats a person?
I was *just * telling someone about this.

I've ran into some of the minor bugs, like the whole party not entering combat. But I've also run into a big one that's existed evidently for years during early access: Getting encumbered permanently. I had to actually kill my character and revivify him to have it clear.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, since this game is kinda hard, I've been forced to actually learn the D&D 5e rules, and more importantly, how to break them.

There's an in-game way to respec your character, so you never have to feel bad about choosing the wrong skills or feats, for just some gold you can reset it all and pick it all again.

So while my level 6 warlock was feeling a little puny at times, after learning the game systems more, I am now a level 2 fighter/level 2 warlock/level 2 sorcerer, and I am a god among men.

Dei

Dei

gnome
bg3_dx11_KhJ2TomDZc.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is that a... short sword?

Dei

Dei

Is that a... short sword?
No, that is a 2h greatsword that is clipping through the ground.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No, that is a 2h greatsword that is clipping through the ground.
1691452039464.png

(yes I know you're nott a goblin. Well, you CHARACTER isn't anyway :p)

Dave

Dave

Buddy and I are doing co-op. We went into an owlbear cave where a mommy owlbear was protecting baby owlbear. Being the exp starved idiots we are, we attacked. At one point my buddy's Dwarven barbarian picked up the baby owlbear and used it as an improvised weapon to attack the mom!!

Yeah...we laughed like idiots.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Buddy and I are doing co-op. We went into an owlbear cave where a mommy owlbear was protecting baby owlbear. Being the exp starved idiots we are, we attacked. At one point my buddy's Dwarven barbarian picked up the baby owlbear and used it as an improvised weapon to attack the mom!!

Yeah...we laughed like idiots.
You get an achievement for that!

bhamv3

bhamv3

BTW, how necessary is it to play or be familiar with the earlier BG games to play BG3? Cause I'm probably gonna get this game eventually but I've never played a BG game before. I wouldn't be opposed to reading their Wikipedia articles or watching a video that summarizes them, if needed.

Also how familiar do you need to be with D&D mechanics? Like should I know specific game mechanics, or is it okay to go in just knowing "roll dice, get results"?

Dave

Dave

Not at all. You could go in blind and be fine.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

BTW, how necessary is it to play or be familiar with the earlier BG games to play BG3? Cause I'm probably gonna get this game eventually but I've never played a BG game before. I wouldn't be opposed to reading their Wikipedia articles or watching a video that summarizes them, if needed.

Also how familiar do you need to be with D&D mechanics? Like should I know specific game mechanics, or is it okay to go in just knowing "roll dice, get results"?
The connection to the previous games is setting. There are some characters from the original that appear, but the story is its own thing and requires no previous knowledge. Knowing D&D 5e helps, as you sink your teeth into it you'll probably find yourself looking up some guides on the finer details, but is also not required and the game teaches you the basics.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I’m thinking of getting this game as well. I heard it runs great on Steam Deck.

D

Dubyamn

Played it a bit when it was early access. Had a bunch of fun having my guys push people off of things.

Didn’t like it so much when a group of Minotaurs jumped over my front line to destroy my mage.

Dei

Dei

I’m thinking of getting this game as well. I heard it runs great on Steam Deck.
It runs on low graphics and eats battery pretty bad. It also needs about 120gb of space.

But if you don't care about that, it does run without stutters and the controller commands are fine if you're used to radial menus.

Frank

Frank

Game's got that Fallout magic.

Where YOU COULD just buy Vic from the slavers, or you could get the whole camp drunk (manually using booze on them, most characters will not refuse free liquor) and murder them all in the dark of night where they can't hit the broad side of the barn, cause they're drunk and slaving scum. Or join them, you know, be slaving scum.

That second option isn't highlighted by dialog or anything, it's just something you can do if you think of it. I fucking love this shit. This game branches so hard so often I feel like I'm not playing anything else for a VERY long time.

More Black Isle style of RPG making and less Bioware (yes I'm aware of that irony) please. Thank you Larian.

Frank

Frank

ALSO, I refuse to multiclass. Ever.

No matter how difficult it makes my life.

Dei

Dei

I've been playing on Tactician and I find it pretty easy.

But I also played the shit out of the Divinity games, and love tactical games, so I know what to expect.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Game's got that Fallout magic.

Where YOU COULD just buy Vic from the slavers, or you could get the whole camp drunk (manually using booze on them, most characters will not refuse free liquor) and murder them all in the dark of night where they can't hit the broad side of the barn, cause they're drunk and slaving scum. Or join them, you know, be slaving scum.

That second option isn't highlighted by dialog or anything, it's just something you can do if you think of it. I fucking love this shit. This game branches so hard so often I feel like I'm not playing anything else for a VERY long time.

More Black Isle style of RPG making and less Bioware (yes I'm aware of that irony) please. Thank you Larian.
I'm 30 hours in and I'm still in act 1. This game is amazing. Also I am lost as shit in the underdark.

I personally multiclassed the shit out of my player character, just to get all the goodies early. But being a level 2 Fighter/Level 2 Warlock/Level 2 Sorcerer might mean I can machine gun super hard hitting eldritch blasts, but it also means I don't really have any high level spells, so in the last fight I brought Gale along to see just what a level 6 pure wizard could do.

*cue the weathergirls*
IT'S RAINING FIREBALLS! HALLELUJUA!

Frank

Frank

Lae'Zel, whom I don't remember approving of almost anything I've done, is suddenly VERY forward about boning. Feels like a bug.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Lae'Zel, whom I don't remember approving of almost anything I've done, is suddenly VERY forward about boning. Feels like a bug.
Hate fucks are a thing in Belgium or something maybe? :awesome:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Not a bug I don't think, she's just weird. She flirts through hatred and is attracted to strength. Like a fantasy tsundere

Now Gale on the other hand... I was just trying to be nice to him and everyone in camp started talking like we were dating

Dave

Dave

My buddy and I just sat back and watched while one NPC killed another one in camp.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My buddy and I just sat back and watched while one NPC killed another one in camp.
Sadly I broke it up because I still have a quest to do with one of them.

But I was impressed by the gumption of one

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

aqsh5g8o2ngb1.jpg

chris

chris

The church is well known with their love of roleplaying.

@Li3n

@Li3n

the controller commands are fine if you're used to radial menus.
You can also connect k&m via any cheap USB hub, if you don't want to splurge on bluetooth ones.

Dei

Dei

You can also connect k&m via any cheap USB hub, if you don't want to splurge on bluetooth ones.
I'm not gonna do that from bed, if I'm using a keyboard/mouse it will be on my PC where the game looks way better.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Prior to the 'official' BG3 nvidia drivers that came out today, the game ran like smooth butter. Now the official drivers are out and it's choppy

Far

Far

I had the complete opposite with the drivers. I had to lower the game quality even to get a choppy 40fps, after the drivers today I cranked everything back up to max and am getting consistent 110.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Are the "Origin" characters the companions? Should I be using Custom Origin instead? Does this problem apply to the "Dark Urge" origin?

Dei

Dei

Are the "Origin" characters the companions? Should I be using Custom Origin instead? Does this problem apply to the "Dark Urge" origin?
IMO you shouldn't play an origin character in solo/duo play, except for The Dark Urge, which is meant to be a player character I'm pretty sure. Solo feels like a MUCH better experience than 4 player co-op just because the inability to swap characters into your party ruins it.

If you play as an origin character, they won't interact as themselves in conversations, and they won't engage in banter from my experience, but you will randomly get cutscenes about what they are thinking about.

Frank

Frank

I mucked around with Dark Urge, be ready for the game to take some wilds turns, completely out of your control.

Also, turn off Karmic dice. It makes the dice actually random and not smoothed out for both you and your opponents.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Already been answered but: The origin characters are some of your companions (there are more companions than them) and each of them have their own story and goals, so while you -can- play as one of them as a main character, it's really for a second playthrough, or to play in someone else's game.

The Dark Urge, on the other hand, is an entirely new player character. It is fully customizable just like an original origin character, but its origin is set in stone. That origin is a haunted past, where the character has no memory of their past before the abduction that starts the game, but does know they have a craving for murder and viscera. I actually really find playing as the dark urge interesting, you are basically a character with intrusive thoughts, violent urges, and schizophrenia. Just be warned that if you choose to play through as this character your first time threw, some characters may be unavailable to you, and it can become a very violent, very lonely playthrough.

Frank

Frank

Absolutely obliterating Timber the squirrel in the Emerald Grove in a split second completely outright made me both guffaw out loud and immediately know that I'm not playing through with this character first.

Dei

Dei

I mucked around with Dark Urge, be ready for the game to take some wilds turns, completely out of your control.

Also, turn off Karmic dice. It makes the dice actually random and not smoothed out for both you and your opponents.
IDK there are moments where I strongly consider turning Karmic Dice back on. When I go on an unlucky streak, BOY AM I UNLUCKY.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Snuffles and I are both playing as non-origin custom characters. He's a half-elf sorcerer, and I'm a human monk. We just made it to the grove and hit level 3, I chose the "way of the open hand" subclass because I'mma trash bozos with my tai kwan leep.

And of course we'd start RIGHT before he has to go out of town for the weekend.

GasBandit

GasBandit

HAH!

In Unison: "YES! WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS"

1691696217075.png

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

This game is dangerous! I got attacked just for downloading it first.

Dei

Dei

1691728737882.png

Storytime with Shadowheart

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've actually met him, a long long time ago when Larian was still a small local startup that had just released Divine Divinity. Was a nice guy back then.

Question about combat (because every place I see it discussed it just devolves into "Turn based sucks" vs "it's D&D what do you expect" BS): how is it in practice and how much is there? CRPGs tend to throw way more fights at you, but turn based can quickly become "use the same 3 buffs in the same order every time and then hit the enemy with the same 2 spells every time" boring. I'm perfectly fine with turn based, but it can definitely be done badly in CRPGs and become a total time waster. is it "low level mooks everywhere" or "every enemy matters" or what? :)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've actually met him, a long long time ago when Larian was still a small local startup that had just released Divine Divinity. Was a nice guy back then.

Question about combat (because every place I see it discussed it just devolves into "Turn based sucks" vs "it's D&D what do you expect" BS): how is it in practice and how much is there? CRPGs tend to throw way more fights at you, but turn based can quickly become "use the same 3 buffs in the same order every time and then hit the enemy with the same 2 spells every time" boring. I'm perfectly fine with turn based, but it can definitely be done badly in CRPGs and become a total time waster. is it "low level mooks everywhere" or "every enemy matters" or what? :)
I actually like the turn based combat, but there isn't an abnormal amount. Much like an actual d&d campaign, mandatory fights are limited to just a couple per expected session, with smaller skirmishes between avoidable if you'd prefer to talk or sneak your way through it.

Even some of the mandatory encounters can be talked through

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So um I kinda left them on the beach....

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I'm not very far in or anything but so far the combat feels like they squished Divinity: OS into D&D rules. Can't speak to how repetitive anything is yet.

X

Xbob42

Just wanted to chime in and say all party members not entering combat is not a bug, it can be caused by all sorts of factors including distance and line of sight, cones of vision, etc.

Generally speaking I find it very advantageous to have someone initiate combat alone and have the rest of the team sneak around and find good positions based on the enemy's first movements, though if it's an easy fight there's no need.

Used sanctuary on my mage to body block a very tall ladder that was the only way to reach my party as I rained hell upon some filthy goblins. A few would get through during the turn where sanctuary can't be reapplied, but that was nothing shove and some similar spells couldn't handle.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Just wanted to chime in and say all party members not entering combat is not a bug, it can be caused by all sorts of factors including distance and line of sight, cones of vision, etc.

Generally speaking I find it very advantageous to have someone initiate combat alone and have the rest of the team sneak around and find good positions based on the enemy's first movements, though if it's an easy fight there's no need.

Used sanctuary on my mage to body block a very tall ladder that was the only way to reach my party as I rained hell upon some filthy goblins. A few would get through during the turn where sanctuary can't be reapplied, but that was nothing shove and some similar spells couldn't handle.
Hey there...welcome to the board!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I was looking forward to this. Unfortunately, my PC is crap and I don't have a PS5 yet. I'll have to watch the gameplay videos on YouTube. By the way, the introductory cinematic has a Wilhelm Scream.

Dave

Dave

After defeating a major enemy I had a party back at my camp. Before I did the big sleep, though, I went to the trader and got rid of everything I didn't think I needed. Then I hit go to camp. Turns out one of the things I didn't think I needed I kinda did. So when I got to camp I apparently took off my armor and was there buck naked. My schlong was all a-hanging out. Which was funny at first and then HILARIOUS in cut scenes as I talked to people, including Shadowheart, who apparently liked it enough that we went off and had ourselves a moment. And a druid flirted with me. Yes, the bear druid. But in my playthrough no squirrels will be dropping their nuts.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The game isn't that horny, you guys...

Also, my Dark Urge playthrough....

20230811221213_1.jpg
20230811222219_1.jpg
20230811222245_1.jpg
20230811222308_1.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Gale's back story about his ex doesn't seem to jive with the fact he's a level 1 wizard....;)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Gale's back story about his ex doesn't seem to jive with the fact he's a level 1 wizard....;)
Wyll mentions that getting tadpoled drastically weakened them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The game isn't that horny, you guys...

Also, my Dark Urge playthrough....

Meanwhile in my solo playthrough:

Wow, why did this random jobber NPC miniboss have an alchemy bag, supply bag, and pajamas? Wait, have I heard the name "Nightwarden Minthara" before?... oh... oh right. WELP that's what happens when I decide to cheeze an entire fortress to death by doing ranged sneak attacks from the rafters I guess.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Wow, why did this random jobber NPC miniboss have an alchemy bag, supply bag, and pajamas? Wait, have I heard the name "Nightwarden Minthara" before?... oh... oh right. WELP that's what happens when I decide to cheeze an entire fortress to death by doing ranged sneak attacks from the rafters I guess.
That's pretty much how I handled that same area.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Don't feel too bad.

The vast majority of players are going to kill her. In order to get this evil drow as a companion you gotta be ready to do some really evil shit, and it's going to make at the minimum Wyll and Karlach leave your group forever.

Far

Far

Wouldn't do anything that would cause me to
lose Karlach so that bitch had to die.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Karlach has some strong Princess Scorpia vibes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Auntie Ethel quest line is buggy AF. It practically SHOUTS "use non lethal damage" but it doesn't seem to make a difference even in the dialogs.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The Auntie Ethel quest line is buggy AF. It practically SHOUTS "use non lethal damage" but it doesn't seem to make a difference even in the dialogs.
I may have accidentally, on purpose. killed all the innocents in that quest, by mistake of course.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I may have accidentally, on purpose. killed all the innocents in that quest, by mistake of course.
What gets my goat is there is even dialog "I fought them but don't worry, I just knocked them out, nobody's dead" and the response is "THEY'RE ALL DEAD?! NOOOOOOO!"

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

I'm a wild mage. Yesterday, I cast a spell and turned into a sheep. :rofl:

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I am not super far along. I made a drop character and every npc has something to say about it! Some have said surprisingly good things.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I made a drop character
You can play as a koala? Awesome!

—Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

I made a drop character and every npc has something to say about it!
That took me way too long to get the mistake...

Some have said surprisingly good things.
Did they really like your scimitars ? Or was it your magic pussycat...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Apparently having Lae-zel in your party is just an invitation to ALL kinds of UI-locking bugs. Uuuuugggh. Look, just get used to hitting F5 before and after every single fucking thing in the world.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Apparently having Lae-zel in your party is just an invitation to ALL kinds of UI-locking bugs. Uuuuugggh. Look, just get used to hitting F5 before and after every single fucking thing in the world.
When this happens, you can hit F5 to save and F8 to immediately load that save, it'll fix the bug

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

My typing is awesome as always. Still not my worst typo here :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Baldur's Gate 3 delivers the most immersive social simulation environment pertaining to what it's like to be a woman - unless I am actively and deliberately unpleasant to them, every single person in my social circle assumes I want to have sex with them.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Baldur's Gate 3 delivers the most immersive social simulation environment pertaining to what it's like to be a woman - unless I am actively and deliberately unpleasant to them, every single person in my social circle assumes I want to have sex with them.
...You don't?

GasBandit

GasBandit

...You don't?
Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 have traumatized me when it comes to party social dynamics. I'm too afraid that if I form a relationship they'll either fly off the handle about something and become the game's final boss, or cause some OTHER party member to switch sides for no other good reason other than the integer that represents my relationship to person A is higher than the one that governs their own, or just literally rocks fall everybody dies.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ah, you've met Gale.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Gale sucks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's not just gale! Astarion too, even the githyanki is down bad for me and barely able to take no for an answer.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

In the movie Starship Troopers when Michael Ironside is introduced as the new Lt. I swear the music from that scene in in BG3.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's not just gale! Astarion too, even the githyanki is down bad for me and barely able to take no for an answer.
Heh, Lae'zel was hot for me, but I could never initiate sex with her. So finally, I decided to choose the "end this fling" option and then followed it up with "seriously, no more sex." (more? we never had sex). That night, I get the githyanki sex option. heh

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

The githyanki was super agressive!! Gale doesn’t say much at camp anymore because I agreed to have a drink with Shadowheart.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I need to just stick to hirelings and leave everybody at camp and just never talk to them. That's what I need to do.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I need to just stick to hirelings and leave everybody at camp and just never talk to them. That's what I need to do.
You could just tell them no

GasBandit

GasBandit

You could just tell them no
But then they get mad and leave the group right? Like in BG1 or NWN2? #DungeonsAndSocialTrauma

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

But then they get mad and leave the group right? Like in BG1 or NWN2? #DungeonsAndSocialTrauma
No they just back off and stop flirting with you. You've gotta do some really bad stuff to make them leave.

Far

Far

No they just back off and stop flirting with you.
I've found this true of everyone save Halsin. Everyone other than Karlach I've told hey, let's just be friends, and they've all respected that. Halsin keeps trying to make it happen though.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Act 2 Dark Urge spoilers

IMG_20230815_010614_315.jpg

Why do people keep thinking I'm evil? I don't look that evil...

IMG_20230815_010627_740.jpg

What? No, lots of non-evil people can turn into murder-monsters

GasBandit

GasBandit

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

ob7c3t8epyib1.jpg

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Act 3 :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Baldur's gate 3 on a steam deck in a hotel room.

It'll do I guess.

PXL_20230821_214836342.jpg

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I play exclusively on Steam Deck and it’s great so far. I’m still super early on though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Playing with Snuffles means I have to be in discord, which means I have to be in desktop mode, which hurts performance a little, but it's still perfectly playable.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I discord on my phone as needed. Not super high tech I know.

Dei

Dei

Everything I've heard says Steam Deck struggles on Act 3, but I've been mostly fine in Act 2 when I'm playing in bed.

Frank

Frank

I think everything struggles in Act 3.

Dei

Dei

Here is something to be wary about depending on how short on space you may be on your Steam Deck. I didn't notice that my quicksaves were never respecting the limit of 25 I set on them, and I had 200+ quicksaves and a save folder that was 12gb.

Frank

Frank

So folks have datamined a HUUUUUGE amount of cut content (especially act 3) including stuff that the Larian CEO was talking about as little as two weeks before launch. Hopefully that means the eventual Definitive Edition cleans a lot of that up.

Still the best game I've played this year (and hopefully the year they finish the Definitive Edition).

Oh, and now for some gripes. 5th Edition Wizards are fucking lame as hell. They're trumped up Sorcerers. Everyone is just a trumped up sorcerer. The spreadsheets I used to keep for my 3.5/Pathfinder Wizard in tabletop to keep all his spells and his different configurations. It's funny how I've owned basically every 5th edition book printed by WotC but I've never actually gotten the chance to actually live roleplay it. I had no idea Wizards were so Sorcerish now, even having read the books. I also hate the term spell slots.....it just feels so inelegant and takes me out of it.

Also I wish switching party members was easier. It's such a slog to walk over to one, kick them out, walk over to the other, bring them in, level them up, kick them out, go back to the old party member, bring them back in.

BG1 and 2 just had a menu option.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also I wish switching party members was easier. It's such a slog to walk over to one, kick them out, walk over to the other, bring them in, level them up, kick them out, go back to the old party member, bring them back in.
I might not be remembering correctly, but didn't baldur's gate 1 entail finding wherever the hell it was in the world the person you want was hanging out? And then asking them to rejoin?

I do wish you could have more than four people in the group though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I might not be remembering correctly, but didn't baldur's gate 1 entail finding wherever the hell it was in the world the person you want was hanging out? And then asking them to rejoin?

I do wish you could have more than four people in the group though.
There's a mod that allows 8 person parties

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Dave

Dave

I wonder how well they work with multiplayer.

per the article: single player only

Dave

Dave

My question - and I can’t find anything in options - is can you get the dice to roll/finalize faster?

Frank

Frank

You can just click your mouse to speed through it.

It still takes slightly too long in my opinion though.

Far

Far

GasBandit

GasBandit

Beginning of act 3 spoilers:

Snuffles, being a Sorcerer, became an illithid to reap the magical and psionic benefits. He is now STUPID powerful.
I, being an open hand monk, realized that evolving into an illithid would probably mean I'd punched my last face, and elected to remain human. Perhaps not as powerful as Snuffles, but I refused to give up the joy of schnozdecking.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Beginning of act 3 spoilers:

Snuffles, being a Sorcerer, became an illithid to reap the magical and psionic benefits. He is now STUPID powerful.
I, being an open hand monk, realized that evolving into an illithid would probably mean I'd punched my last face, and elected to remain human. Perhaps not as powerful as Snuffles, but I refused to give up the joy of schnozdecking.
Take tavern brawler feat and pump your strength as high as possible. Have him cast haste on you. You'll outdps him every turn while having 99% accuracy

Adam

Adam

This game is incredibly good. But WOW is it dense. I feel like I'm just nibbling at the edges most of the time and I'm not 3/4 of the way through Act 1.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This game is incredibly good. But WOW is it dense. I feel like I'm just nibbling at the edges most of the time and I'm not 3/4 of the way through Act 1.
The devs themselves have said that they don't expect you to do everything in an area, they expect you to just follow what interests you along the way, but they're not my real dad so they can't tell me what to do!

Far

Far

Getting everybody fly was worth the
half transform to illithid.

Adam

Adam

It's about to pass X-Com 2 for my total playtime - that's an impressive game. It's not going to catch RimWorld (1900 hours) or Space Engineers (1669 hours) any time soon, but it's a respectable showing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei

Dei

Getting everybody fly was worth the
half transform to illithid.
In my experience, fly is trash compared to just jumping.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What does Minsc look like in this one?

GasBandit

GasBandit

1693056156202.jpeg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What does Minsc look like in this one?
Like Matt Mercer

Far

Far

In my experience, fly is trash compared to just jumping.
How? Fly, specifically the one I referenced, gets me much further even than normal walking, or walking and jumping, rarely provokes opportunity attacks and doesn't cost my bonus action.

Like it's so much better than walking for regular movement I rarely don't fly for my whole movement now while in combat.

Just walking. This character can get 9m in one turn.

20230827003859_1.jpg

One jump first and then remaining walking, slightly further. Hard to see accurately but the dark spot near the distance marker shows about a 1.5 meter gain in distance over just walking.

20230827004713_1.jpg

Flying doesn't show a distance marker but is nearly twice the distance. Dunno why it shows as a jump marked but you can see via the hotbar it's the fly activated.

20230827003916_1.jpg

Just the "spell" description showing cost is just movements speed.

20230827003922_1.jpg

Dei

Dei

I can jump from screen edge to screen edge with athlete and the jump spell. It's literally how my gnome paladin gets around. Getting way more distance than fly, which she also has as a multiclass storm sorc. I only use jump on the rest of the party who is slow and weak.

BG3 Fly is just basically trash compared to how it should work imo.

Far

Far

I can jump from screen edge to screen edge with athlete and the jump spell. It's literally how my gnome paladin gets around. Getting way more distance than fly, which she also has as a multiclass storm sorc. I only use jump on the rest of the party who is slow and weak.

Distance isn't the only issue, though I understand in regards to a traversal method that might be the goal, there is more to consider.

Jumping burns bonus actions every turn at minimum to get that distance and maybe an action once per encounter as well to cast it as a spell if that's needed. Plus the feat for athlete, though likely strength or dex characters were getting that anyway.

Distance wise I'll concede the jump set up may be further, I've yet to come across fights where the 18m fly distance was lacking though that could be the case in the future, but losing the action once an encounter to cast if needed if the fight isn't planned and bonus action each turn to jump wouldn't be worth it for me unless I'm not understanding. Different playstyles I suppose.

Again not talking about fly as a spell, that is shit since the action cost(though the same as having to cast jump as a spell), the lack of verticality unless there is somewhere to physically land as well as no hover is a massive downside for it vs traditional flying in 5e or just logically how it should work.

But the illithid flight has no action costs or cost in general save for
the transformation and the tadpoles which I was using anyway.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Storm sorc fly is different, that's very limited and is basically meant to be used as a disengage. Have you tried using the flight spell, or a potion of flying?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Fly in Solasta (another 5e game) works mostly as you would expect. So it was definitely a let down seeing how they implemented it in BG3

Dei

Dei

Fly in Solasta (another 5e game) works mostly as you would expect. So it was definitely a let down seeing how they implemented it in BG3
This is why I hate fly so much.
Post automatically merged:

Storm sorc fly is different, that's very limited and is basically meant to be used as a disengage. Have you tried using the flight spell, or a potion of flying?
I used a potion once, and it felt like a waste of time TBH. I don't need it to reach things out of combat, and in combat, I pretty much use a bonus action once to get in melee range and then I'm fine. And ranged people really don't need that much mobility from my experience of playing this game way too much.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is why I hate fly so much.
Post automatically merged:

I used a potion once, and it felt like a waste of time TBH. I don't need it to reach things out of combat, and in combat, I pretty much use a bonus action once to get in melee range and then I'm fine. And ranged people really don't need that much mobility from my experience of playing this game way too much.
I'm playing on tactician, and being able to fly to higher vantage points is really fucking useful (though on my non-illithid playthrough I'm brewing potions for this).

My bonus action is too precious to use on movement.

Dei

Dei

I'm playing on tactician, and being able to fly to higher vantage points is really fucking useful (though on my non-illithid playthrough I'm brewing potions for this).

My bonus action is too precious to use on movement.
I am also playing on Tactician non-illithid.

Frank

Frank

I'm ALSO playing on tactician and.....

Who am I kidding, I've restarted and played through like half of act 1 like a dozen times now.

I haven't even hit level 5 yet.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Snuffles and I hit level 12 yesterday. I redid my character out of 12 open hand monk to 9 open hand monk 3 rogue-thief, because that second bonus action for the extra flurry of blows is WAY more useful than waking up with Sanctuary after a long rest and innate poison immunity. Losing the 4.5m of movement from improved unarmored movement is made up for by me STILL wearing the haste helm from act 1 which gives momentum for the first 3 turns of combat, and if I decide I need the range, the extra bonus action can always be put toward a Cunning Action - Dash

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

How many legendarys you got?

GasBandit

GasBandit

How many legendarys you got?
My fists are legendary.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Karlach approves.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's also hilarious that the only companion quests we seem to make any headway on are for the companions we can't stand (Astarion, Gale).

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I give Gale sll the tadpoles because he annoys me and he's ugly as fuck.

Dave

Dave

Snuffles and I hit level 12 yesterday. I redid my character out of 12 open hand monk to 9 open hand monk 3 rogue-thief, because that second bonus action for the extra flurry of blows is WAY more useful than waking up with Sanctuary after a long rest and innate poison immunity. Losing the 4.5m of movement from improved unarmored movement is made up for by me STILL wearing the haste helm from act 1 which gives momentum for the first 3 turns of combat, and if I decide I need the range, the extra bonus action can always be put toward a Cunning Action - Dash
If you have Gale in the party, make sure he learns Longstrider. It gives +3 meters movement ALWAYS. And if you cast it outside of combat since it's a ritual it takes no spell slots. Oh, and the effect lasts until the next long rest.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If you have Gale in the party, make sure he learns Longstrider. It gives +3 meters movement ALWAYS. And if you cast it outside of combat since it's a ritual it takes no spell slots. Oh, and the effect lasts until the next long rest.
You can upcast it as a ritual to hit more people at a time with it, if you don't want to cast it 4 times after every long rest for each party member. Enhanced jump is also a ritual, though has a 10 round limit so you'll want to cast that before entering combat.

All of your half casters like rangers and bards can also learn these spells, as well as druids I believe. They're fantastic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We literally kicked Gale back to camp the instant we got him and didn't bring him back out until we needed his arcane/int rolls to talk to the librarian in Act 3... so he basically sat at level 1 forever until suddenly he was level 12.

And because Snuffles is a sorcerer and isn't familiar with D&D he didn't realize wizards were different and had to pick what spells they wanted to "ready," combat was "interesting" when we accidentally got into combat.

But our party composition has basically been:

Snuffles, Evocation Sorcerer
who is also controlling Astarion, Thief Rogue, who is just there to pick locks and disarm traps
And maybe who is controlling whoever is plot relevant and needs to be in conversation but generally Snuffles does all the talking because CHA 20

GasBandit, Open hand monk/Thief Rogue
who might be also controlling Karlach, Berserker Barbarian, if we aren't doing anything companion-quest related
or who would be controlling Shadowheart if we are, because somehow (bug) she convinced herself she's my lover even though I've never given her any indication I was interested much less actually slept with her but what the heck let's keep her happy I guess

So basically Karlach is our default 4th member unless we specifically need to advance somebody's sidequest.

On a side note, I am so grumpy they found a bullshit reason to nerf the Chest of the Mundane.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

We literally kicked Gale back to camp the instant we got him and didn't bring him back out until we needed his arcane/int rolls to talk to the librarian in Act 3... so he basically sat at level 1 forever until suddenly he was level 12.

And because Snuffles is a sorcerer and isn't familiar with D&D he didn't realize wizards were different and had to pick what spells they wanted to "ready," combat was "interesting" when we accidentally got into combat.

But our party composition has basically been:

Snuffles, Evocation Sorcerer
who is also controlling Astarion, Thief Rogue, who is just there to pick locks and disarm traps
And maybe who is controlling whoever is plot relevant and needs to be in conversation but generally Snuffles does all the talking because CHA 20

GasBandit, Open hand monk/Thief Rogue
who might be also controlling Karlach, Berserker Barbarian, if we aren't doing anything companion-quest related
or who would be controlling Shadowheart if we are, because somehow (bug) she convinced herself she's my lover even though I've never given her any indication I was interested much less actually slept with her but what the heck let's keep her happy I guess

So basically Karlach is our default 4th member unless we specifically need to advance somebody's sidequest.

On a side note, I am so grumpy they found a bullshit reason to nerf the Chest of the Mundane.
Is snuffles dual classed into a sorcerer/evocation wizard? Because if he wants to wizard dip it's usually better to just take one level of wizard and forego getting a specialization. Wearing the circlet of intelligence from act 1 will give him enough spell slots to prepare any level wizard spell copied from a scroll he wants, for a little greater spell spread

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is snuffles dual classed into a sorcerer/evocation wizard? Because if he wants to wizard dip it's usually better to just take one level of wizard and forego getting a specialization. Wearing the circlet of intelligence from act 1 will give him enough spell slots to prepare any level wizard spell copied from a scroll he wants, for a little greater spell spread
Nope, he is pure sorc all the way down, just likes to blow shit up. His favorite spell seems to be scorching ray, with fireball a close second. Oh yeah and he's the fire dragonkin thing. I'm just a boring vanilla human.

We are both monstrously disappointed in what has been done to magic missile. It's so trash now.

Far

Far

Mine broke when I went into Act 3 pre-patch anyway and everything that was in it turned into it's in chest mundane item. Didn't notice until I was too far and didn't have anything that mattered to lose but still.

Bubble181

Bubble181

We are both monstrously disappointed in what has been done to magic missile. It's so trash now.
I haven't played BG3, obviously, so can't comment on what they did here exactly, but... Mm kind of is supposed to suck at higher levels. If you want an easy cast direct damage spell that stays relevant, become an EB focused warlock. Some interpretations keep MM "great" because it's iconic, but that just ends up turning a Warlock into a less versatile wizard. Wizards (and sorcerors) have a thousand other uses. Ranged single target DPS isn't really supposed to be their specialty.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I haven't played BG3, obviously, so can't comment on what they did here exactly, but... Mm kind of is supposed to suck at higher levels. If you want an easy cast direct damage spell that stays relevant, become an EB focused warlock. Some interpretations keep MM "great" because it's iconic, but that just ends up turning a Warlock into a less versatile wizard. Wizards (and sorcerors) have a thousand other uses. Ranged single target DPS isn't really supposed to be their specialty.
I can definitely confirm that EB Warlocks are stupid fun.

But in BG1, Magic Missile was deliriously overpowered. But I guess that's 2nd edition for you.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Magic Missile is amazing. On a sorcerer, probably not that great, sorcs are all about throwing three fireballs a turn, but magic missile is still amazing. It's great on wizards, especially evocation wizards, and it's great on other mixed spellcasters who might have a low attack modifier on their spell cast.

But here's why magic missile is so busted: each individual missile counts as its own spell, and they -always- hit. Always. You don't even need line of sight, they'll whip around corners to hone in on their target.

Each missile being it's own individual spell is good for things like attacking an enemy that's concentrating on a spell, each missile is a chance to break concentration. But also any affect that adds damage to a spell will add it to -each missile-. Evocation wizards, for example, get to add their intelligence modifier as extra damage to each spell at level 10, that's a huge power spike for magic missile. Lightning charges from something like the spellsparkler staff apply to each missile, allowing tons of extra damage there and building up lightning charges super fast. The spellmight gloves you can get in act 3 add a whopping TEN WHOLE DAMAGE to each of your spells, at the cost of having a -5 to hit, but magic missile always hits. There's an amulet you can get in the underdark myconid colony that also adds an addition missile each time you cast magic missile. Even ignoring lightning charges, the evocation bonus, spellmight gloves and magic missile amulet will mean a level ONE magic missile is going to do at minimum 60 bonus damage, before it even gets to rolling its base damage. FOR A LEVEL ONE SPELL SLOT. And it only goes up from there.

Magic missile is still op.

Edit: quick dirty math. Assuming you are an evocation wizard with the amulet and the gloves (and just them, there's lots more items that add to spell damage) one cast of a level 6 magic missile would produce ten missiles and do on average 18 damage per missile, so 180 damage directed around as you choose. Even disintegrate only does on average 80 damage.

Frank

Frank

Huh, each instance of MM shouldn't be it's own separate spell, but Larian is playing fast and loose with the rules anyway.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Magic Missile should be overpowered. After all, how else are you supposed to attack the darkness? WHERE ARE THE CHEETOS?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

7xbhlu.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Huh, each instance of MM shouldn't be it's own separate spell, but Larian is playing fast and loose with the rules anyway.
Jeremy Crawford has been clear that things that add bonus damage to spells adds it individually to each missile. He's waffled back and forth on whether each missile is rolled individually or whether you roll one number and use it for all the darts, and whether or not each dart has its own concentration roll.

I see this damage scenario as well within established official rules. The concentration is not so clear, so to me it's a matter of DM interpretation. One check for each roll is going to be lots of rolls that are easier to make (due to the lowered damage of each missile). The alternative is one check that's a higher DC. I haven't done the math on which is more likely to break concentration.

I've always been a huge fan of magic missile. There's a window where other spells take the spotlight, but then MM comes back hard at later levels. That said, there are lots of ways to avoid MM, including the ever popular shield spell. High level opponents should fight smart if they're going against high level spellcasters.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

GasBandit

GasBandit

The music in

the Raphael boss fight in House of Hope
is SO delightfully HAMMY.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also the amount of XP going straight into the ether is PAINFUL to me. Killed two Spectators at the same time. 2000xp, fired into the fucking sun.

Yes, I know there are level 20 mods, but I'm playing multiplayer >_<

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Single player and 4 player are safe, but in two or three player...who romances Karlach?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Single player and 4 player are safe, but in two or three player...who romances Karlach?
Wyll.

I will say that I agree that Karlach is best girl, though.

I seemingly got gaslit into being in a relationship with Shadowheart in the playthrough I have going with Snuffles, though.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Wyll.

I seemingly got gaslit into being in a relationship with Shadowheart in the playthrough I have going with Snuffles, though.
Wyll is an egg sucking dog.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wyll is an egg sucking dog.
Wyll is the most fun simply by virtue of being a warlock. Spamming EB with all the trimmings is where. It's. At. Spell slots are for counterspell and that's IT.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wyll.

I used to think Karlach was best girl, but then on my Durge run I was like, let's try Lae'zel.

I was very surprised

GasBandit

GasBandit

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

We fight to the death.

Or we send our cats to battle.

Dei

Dei

I used to think Karlach was best girl, but then on my Durge run I was like, let's try Lae'zel.

I was very surprised
I think all the romances do that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think all the romances do that.
Lae'zel romance spoiler:

Lae'zel wakes me up in the middle of the night and tells me she loves me too much so we have to fight. She wants me to prove to her I'm worthy of her obsession. I'm like cool, I'm min-maxed to the extreme, I'll show you.

So we duel in our underwear, and I go to fill her with a million crossbow bolts, but she uses her reaction to cast shield and block them all. Oh no, I forgot I had multiclassed her into an Eldritch Knight/Wizard.

Her turn, she casts hold person on me, I fail the save. She absolutely obliterates me...

She then picks me up, cuddles me sweetly, and tells me she wants to protect me. ... I can work with this.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Lae'zel romance spoiler:

Lae'zel wakes me up in the middle of the night and tells me she loves me too much so we have to fight. She wants me to prove to her I'm worthy of her obsession. I'm like cool, I'm min-maxed to the extreme, I'll show you.

So we duel in our underwear, and I go to fill her with a million crossbow bolts, but she uses her reaction to cast shield and block them all. Oh no, I forgot I had multiclassed her into an Eldritch Knight/Wizard.

Her turn, she casts hold person on me, I fail the save. She absolutely obliterates me...

She then picks me up, cuddles me sweetly, and tells me she wants to protect me. ... I can work with this.
I am fully committed to Lae'zel and her story arc. We are well past the not kissing in public phase. It's glorious sun rises now.

Frank

Frank

Huh, cute mod.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Patch 2 is good news for Karlach, which is good news for everyone!

I forgot to loot a sub boss and thus did not get the key to the big boss. I sit in a box for two minutes and feel shame.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Patch 2 is good news for Karlach, which is good news for everyone!

I forgot to loot a sub boss and thus did not get the key to the big boss. I sit in a box for two minutes and feel shame.
Forgot to loot?! Sometimes I loot while still in combat!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

And each boss was in a no fast travel zone :(

But killed the boss in 1 round once I got back :)

Adam

Adam

Are there any game/plot-related issues with taking as many Long Rests as you want? The first long rest I took was part of advancing the plot (Astarion et al.) but it's made me hesitate to take any long rests as a result. I almost avoid them as much as possible which makes the game a bit of a resource scarcity slog as a result.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Are there any game/plot-related issues with taking as many Long Rests as you want?
Not in my experience.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Yes. Some quests are time limited to long rests. Rescue the guys behind the tunnel collapse for example.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Are there any game/plot-related issues with taking as many Long Rests as you want? The first long rest I took was part of advancing the plot (Astarion et al.) but it's made me hesitate to take any long rests as a result. I almost avoid them as much as possible which makes the game a bit of a resource scarcity slog as a result.
Yes. Some quests are time limited to long rests. Rescue the guys behind the tunnel collapse for example.
This, but also if you let the "I need a long rest to advance the plot" things (especially romance) wait, they tend to stack up and one might "happen" without being shown, which I think is why apparently Shadowheart thinks my monk is banging her when we definitely have not - the night she was supposed to initiate that got overridden by some other plot cutscene and the game just glitched and made the assumption that we fuckin'.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The long rest cut scenes are the most D&D part of the game.

PCs "We're going to camp here and rest for the night."

2 hours into the rest...

DM "Roll for initiative bitches!"

Adam

Adam

So to clarify the answer is: It dependts.

But I'm also hearing that there's not a definitive Long Rest Countdown clock that we at 31 Long Rests, the plot advances to a new Act or anything like that.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No you need to make a conscious decision to leave the acts. As doing so can end several quests. You get a message asking if you are sure you want leave or do you want to finish up some quests.

Dei

Dei

The ones I know of for sure:

In Act 1
If you rest too much the ritual in the Grove will finish and you will get locked out, unless you get Kahga to stop it or you finish the goblin fort.
Once you go to the Duegar fort, you need to save Nere without resting or he just dies.
Act 2
Once you find out about the prisoners you have a few long rests, but if you take too many they will die

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So to clarify the answer is: It dependts.

But I'm also hearing that there's not a definitive Long Rest Countdown clock that we at 31 Long Rests, the plot advances to a new Act or anything like that.
Basically, the only time a long rest can hurt you is incredibly telegraphed, such at "so and so is trapped and we need to get them out fast before they die." Note that in this specific scenario even leaving the area will cause the trapped people to die.

Otherwise, not only does long resting not hurt you, you probably aren't long resting enough for proper plot points to play out. Long rest more, you have far more resources than you need. Sometimes I long rest and then long rest again right away.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In Act 1
If you rest too much the ritual in the Grove will finish and you will get locked out, unless you get Kahga to stop it or you finish the goblin fort.
Once you go to the Duegar fort, you need to save Nere without resting or he just dies.
Act 2
Once you find out about the prisoners you have a few long rests, but if you take too many they will die
I want to point out that for the first point there, the number of times you need to long rest to fail this is so high that you are unlikely to ever do it unless you are specifically trying to

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I've rested a TON in act 1 and never had the first happen. I rest just to not hear my party bitch and moan for missing a single spell slot.

GALE.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That’s just called pickpocketing.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

That’s just called pickpocketing.

—Patrick
And to maximize my chance of succeeding the slight-of-hand roll, I reduce their HP to zero first, then snarl threateningly at their friends while I loot.

PatrThom

PatrThom

More like the slice-of-2H roll, sounds like.

—Patrick

Dei

Dei

Basically, the only time a long rest can hurt you is incredibly telegraphed, such at "so and so is trapped and we need to get them out fast before they die." Note that in this specific scenario even leaving the area will cause the trapped people to die.
Yeah that one is obvious but

Prisoners in Moonrise really aren't telegraphed about when it will happen. It's not immediate, it takes a few days, but I had it happen and the only alert I got that I failed was that my journal updated.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Karlach is best girl, Boo is best boy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

:rofl:
1693660726354.png

1693660865269.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ugh, I was so frustrated and disappointed in the slog to the brain I took the Gale way out.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Bah I glitched myself into a terminal playthrough my second time around. No matter what happens right after the grove celebrations, game over.

GasBandit

GasBandit

JFC act 3 is so fucking buggy.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Bah I glitched myself into a terminal playthrough my second time around. No matter what happens right after the grove celebrations, game over.
Don't kill Gale and take 2 long rests lol

JFC act 3 is so fucking buggy.
Yeah and a bit counterintuitive. So many quests to perform outside of the main arc. Led me to finish the main arc way overpowered. Killed the arc bosses in 1 round. Lae'zel with 9 attacks for the win!

Frank

Frank

I think I'm just going to keep playing as the origin characters. I'm playing Gale right now and Tara is super adorable and now I want to find out what unique content each character brings to the story.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think I'm just going to keep playing as the origin characters. I'm playing Gale right now and Tara is super adorable and now I want to find out what unique content each character brings to the story.
Oh no, you actually are turning into Gale... just can't stop talking about your cat :p

Dei

Dei

Best part of Act 3
(Minor spoiler for Raphael stuff)

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Oh no, you actually are turning into Gale... just can't stop talking about your cat :p
Nothing wrong with that :)

Dei

Dei

Also, make sure you do a Dark Urge run at least once, whichever direction you want to take it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Who is best?
  1. Karlach
  2. Scratch
  3. Owlbear cub
  4. Boo

Frank

Frank

Seriously, having a matronly little winged cat in camp who just adores chin skritches is literally soothing to me right now.

Non-Gale players are robbed.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Who is best?
  1. Karlach
  2. Scratch
  3. Owlbear cub
  4. Boo
Always Karlach.

I finally finished Act 2. I feel like I’m playing in slow motion.

Dirona

Dirona

Lol. I'm still on act 1! I be slow.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Snuffles and I finished our playthrough yesterday. Glad we took long enough for patch 2 to have hit before we did, for reasons I won't spoil for those who don't know.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Snuffles and I finished our playthrough yesterday. Glad we took long enough for patch 2 to have hit before we did, for reasons I won't spoil for those who don't know.
For those who know,

@Squidleybits just revealed that the Steamdeck doesn't Honk Honk! :mad:

GasBandit

GasBandit

The ultrahorniness of your companions has been confirmed to have been a bug, and has been (mostly) patched.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

@Squidleybits "How are you so far ahead!?"

me "Well on the second play through since you know the fights, they all start with fireball. It's very 3e."

GasBandit

GasBandit

As an experiment, I 1-shot killed Shadowheart while she was unconscious on the beach at the beginning of Act 1, then resurrected her.

All that happened is it bugged her out so she couldn't start a conversation.

I tried "knocking out" Minthara then long-resting to let her wake up. She did wake up. But she was similarly bugged and would not talk. She would still give me the stink eye if I stole something in her area though.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

In Act 1
Act 2
And as I just learned, if Gale dies, he really really means it when he says you have two days to resurrect him.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And as I just learned, if Gale dies, he really really means it when he says you have two days to resurrect him.
Not if you rip his hand off.

Though I assume he probably survives that.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Killed Nightsong. Very different playthrough.

Also I prekilled Moonrise Towers but forgot 1 alcolyte.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It occurs to me...

I want a "Goblin Slayer" mod for BG3.

No, no, I know it's within the scope of the game already to create a human ranger proficient in heavy armor and short swords with favored enemy:goblinoids...

But I need goblin-slayer specific dialog options for all conversations.

basically MC-kun hitting long rest and when everybody's trying to get in his pants he'll be going all

1694364516414.jpeg

Also "We did it, we wiped out the goblin camp."

Ok, quest over. Bye.

"But, what about the mindflayers? And the Absolute? Aren't you coming to the towers and baldur's gate and.."

Nope. Gotta find some goblins.

"... there will be goblins, I promise."

Then let's go. No long rest til I've killed at least 10 goblins.

GasBandit

GasBandit

More

GasBandit

GasBandit

When you make Gale wear Lae-zel's underwear.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So I killed Gale looted him sold his clothes and then resurrected him.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh.
My.
God.

You can throw Boo as a weapon!

GasBandit

GasBandit

1694799658910.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

For the briefest of moments, Karlach sees right through the 4th wall and comes to a terrifying realization about her own existence

Frank

Frank

So I encountered a very funny bug. I knocked out the girl with the hag's brothers with non-lethal damage. I then long rested and came back to where they were and their bodies were gone. I assumed I'd find them again when I got to the bog and that they had gotten up and ran off and gotten themselves killed like usual. Nope. No sign of them.

I go inside Ethel's hut and the dialog plays out like normal, except I can now tell Maryna that I knocked her brothers out. What plays out is her screaming at the top of her lungs "NOOOOOO!!!! EVERYONE IS DEAD!" and this plays multiple times before the dialog goes back to normal.

Ok, Jesus, I'm never using non-lethal damage again. It's worse than just gutting them I guess.

Shouldn't have even bothered with it as an option since it doesn't really work. Enemies that you 'need' to not kill will just surrender.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ethel killed them as soon as you left. She's evil and hard to kill that old hag.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I encountered a very funny bug. I knocked out the girl with the hag's brothers with non-lethal damage. I then long rested and came back to where they were and their bodies were gone. I assumed I'd find them again when I got to the bog and that they had gotten up and ran off and gotten themselves killed like usual. Nope. No sign of them.

I go inside Ethel's hut and the dialog plays out like normal, except I can now tell Maryna that I knocked her brothers out. What plays out is her screaming at the top of her lungs "NOOOOOO!!!! EVERYONE IS DEAD!" and this plays multiple times before the dialog goes back to normal.

Ok, Jesus, I'm never using non-lethal damage again. It's worse than just gutting them I guess.

Shouldn't have even bothered with it as an option since it doesn't really work. Enemies that you 'need' to not kill will just surrender.
Yeah, I was complaining about that back on page 1 -

I also tried to save the people in masks by using non lethal damage, but it just deletes them after a long rest, too.

The thing about non-lethal damage is that, unless the person knocked out gets the "Unconscious (Temporary)" status effect (as opposed to just "Unconscious"), apparently the game's script engine decides they're dead and treats everything accordingly. And only super-notable NPCs seem to get that "Temporary" version of the status effect.

For example, Minthara gets the "Temporary" version. But it doesn't matter, because as I said before, knocking her out and coming back later after a long rest just bugs her out to where she can't even enter conversation.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You can get away with just attacking the hag when you meet the three. Then save the girl and her husband. Then practice your alchemy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You can get away with just attacking the hag when you meet the three. Then save the girl and her husband. Then practice your alchemy.
Ironically my best version of the Aunt Ethel quest was in my latest playthrough,

where I was using a mod to increase my party size so I could have every character in the group at once so nobody ever missed out on quest stuff.

The group formation was so large that when I was in the teahouse, and Ethel had told me she wouldn't make a deal with me because I was already missing an eye (I let Volo do his thing by this point), I wandered around in the interior and one of my companions moved to stay in formation and ended up walking through to the other side of the fake fireplace, which instantly put Ethel into combat mode. Usually she goes invisible and runs for the fireplace. And she did go invisible, but I could still see her because of Volo's eye, and she couldn't run through the fireplace because my party member was standing in the middle of the door blocking it.

So I drank a haste potion and beat her down right there in two rounds.

Going downstairs, all her torture victims were freed already, including the seer elf and the petrified dwarf. Three of the four mask wearers were still wearing the mask but would converse instead of attack, and were in denial about Ethel being dead. But the fourth had removed her own mask and thanked me for saving her.

The girl was still mad at me for "ruining everything," at first, until I revealed that the hag had intended to turn her baby into a hag, then she was repentent. So I used the wand to reanimate her husband and gave it to her, and sent her on her way.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ironically my best version of the Aunt Ethel quest was in my latest playthrough,

where I was using a mod to increase my party size so I could have every character in the group at once so nobody ever missed out on quest stuff.

The group formation was so large that when I was in the teahouse, and Ethel had told me she wouldn't make a deal with me because I was already missing an eye (I let Volo do his thing by this point), I wandered around in the interior and one of my companions moved to stay in formation and ended up walking through to the other side of the fake fireplace, which instantly put Ethel into combat mode. Usually she goes invisible and runs for the fireplace. And she did go invisible, but I could still see her because of Volo's eye, and she couldn't run through the fireplace because my party member was standing in the middle of the door blocking it.

So I drank a haste potion and beat her down right there in two rounds.

Going downstairs, all her torture victims were freed already, including the seer elf and the petrified dwarf. Three of the four mask wearers were still wearing the mask but would converse instead of attack, and were in denial about Ethel being dead. But the fourth had removed her own mask and thanked me for saving her.

The girl was still mad at me for "ruining everything," at first, until I revealed that the hag had intended to turn her baby into a hag, then she was repentent. So I used the wand to reanimate her husband and gave it to her, and sent her on her way.
The min/maxer in me can't walk away without auntie Ethel's hair

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ethel being dead.
It's not, practice your alchemy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

The dead bodies never question a buff Drow lady dressed exactly like the Half-orc that just set them on fire moments ago.

Frank

Frank

This is cute

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Playing this time going more evil than not, and talking with the goddess Shar, she's like tone it down there kiddo. Your murderousness is at an 11 we need you at like a 5. So glad I picked female drow of Lloth.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Turns out the "barbarian lockpick" doesn't actually destroy any loot in a chest.

Also, if you pass a dialog check, save and load, non-lethal knockout who you just passed the check with, save and load, and then kill the knocked out npc... you can get triple experience for any given encounter.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also, if you pass a dialog check, save and load, non-lethal knockout who you just passed the check with, save and load, and then kill the knocked out npc... you can get triple experience for any given encounter.
This has been known since pretty much launch, though there's really no reason to go through so much trouble. Just normal play will get you to max level long before you ever hit the end of the game

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Also if you carry Victoria around town, everyone dies.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Talk with animals is so much fun.

Frank

Frank

Don't forget to revisit the frog outside of Ethel's house once you deal with her.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Erhel is everywhere man. Like at least 4 different locations.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Erhel is everywhere man. Like at least 4 different locations.
Ethel is everywhere
Ethel is everything
Ethel is everybody
Ethel is still the king
Man, oh man, what I want you to see
Is that the hag lives on inside of you and me

- Mojo Nixon

GasBandit

GasBandit

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I tried to disguise self as a goblin to get into the camp.

Not an option :(

But female drow was! :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

She does orher ones too. So keep trying until you get them all.

Honk honk.

Frank

Frank

You know, I wish there were more variety in the PC voice choices. There's 4 varieties of British dandy for men and the same for women. No matter which voice you pick, your hulking half-orc or dragonborn barbarian will sound like they're late for tea.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know, I wish there were more variety in the PC voice choices. There's 4 varieties of British dandy for men and the same for women. No matter which voice you pick, your hulking half-orc or dragonborn barbarian will sound like they're late for tea.
"Attack! I saAaAaAaAay, uh-TACK!" - Baldur's Gate 1

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

I kind of wanted to see how that gun would fare against the two cambions that interupt the final Nautiloid fight.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

3rd playthrough and I keep finding more and more content.

GasBandit

GasBandit

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Rolling with Advantage I needed a 2 to succeed; rolled 1 & 1
Reroll with Advantage I still need a 2 to succeed; rolled 1 & 4

:eek:

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bal-dur-su-ba!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I lack the ability to make such a video, but I keep thinking about the companions as the cast of Baywatch.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

For the first time today I heard somebody in a youtube video refer to Shadowheart as "Shart" and I'm all HOW could I have NOT thought of this earlier

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

For the first time today I heard somebody in a youtube video refer to Shadowheart as "Shart" and I'm all HOW could I have NOT thought of this earlier

It's okay TAV, I just learned how to sell things.

GasBandit

GasBandit

These just keep getting better

GasBandit

GasBandit

I
Am
Dying

Frank

Frank

The full versions of these are fantastic.

chris

chris

I
Am
Dying

If you have a "complicated" view on sex, can you even enjoy the game?

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

I am number 3.

I am currently angry that Nexus is down.

Nevermind, I am 8. I've never left Act 1.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

WOW some of those references really take me back.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

MindDetective

MindDetective

I just finished my second play through. Karlach died the first time but we went to the hells together this second time. I'm trying a Dark Urge play this time and I made a tiefling warlock that is Alfira's twin. Play #4 might be true a friend-of-the-githyanki story in which I (finally) let myself turn into a soulless mind flayer. It really does play a bit differently each time. I have to remind myself to NOT skip the dialogue!

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

D

Dubyamn

Had gotten frustrated at an early part of BG3 and wandered away. Finally got annoyed at the way over half of my drive was BG3 so started it up and have been having fun with it again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well okay then:

...there are so many animatics on this song.
But this one belongs here.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What happens when you make an all-bard party.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, how'd you like to pack a 6-inch Colt Python in BG3?
Well now you can, I guess.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

D

Dubyamn

Boy those Gondians really like to crowd around exploding robots. You know when they aren’t dashing away from the enforcers and misty stepping right back to them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Far

Far

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

Going back in after a pile of Rogue Trader.

I hate Gale so God damned much and I think it's because he reminds me of Kvothe and well, I fucking hate Kvothe so God damned much.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Going back in after a pile of Rogue Trader.

I hate Gale so God damned much and I think it's because he reminds me of Kvothe and well, I fucking hate Kvothe so God damned much.
Have you done a Dark Urge run yet, by any chance?

Frank

Frank

Yessums, up to that part at least.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It strikes me that in act 2 you can out wait a boss until they explode, which is essentially what Haley is doing to lard ass. And I kinda want to see that cut scene.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It strikes me that in act 2 you can out wait a boss until they explode, which is essentially what Haley is doing to lard ass. And I kinda want to see that cut scene.
It worked for Kurt Russell.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well!

--Patrick

Far

Far

Drops Game of the Year(honestly maybe decade?).

Refuses to elaborate.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Huh. And here I was worried about having to locally recreate the character I beat the game with while playing with Snuffles, so I'd be ready for any future expansions, because OF COURSE this game was going to have SO many expansions aaaaand... nope?

Dei

Dei

I mean, they said from the start that there wasn't going to be DLC or expansions, so that isn't really news.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I mean, they said from the start that there wasn't going to be DLC or expansions, so that isn't really news.
Hm, I must have missed that announcement.

Dei

Dei

Also not that it matters, but you could just shove Snuffles in a closet.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also not that it matters, but you could just shove Snuffles in a closet.
He was the host. I'm the one shoved in the closet.

Adam

Adam

I'm the one shoved in the closet.
SNIP

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

The champion of ROH, Athena, is a huge D&D dork and debuted a new t-shirt earlier this week.

1712425931596.jpeg

Then she comes last night at Super Card of Honor (their big show of the year) like this:

1712425827347.png

1712425848107.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit