[Gaming] Baldur's Gate 3

You can also connect k&m via any cheap USB hub, if you don't want to splurge on bluetooth ones.
I'm not gonna do that from bed, if I'm using a keyboard/mouse it will be on my PC where the game looks way better.

Prior to the 'official' BG3 nvidia drivers that came out today, the game ran like smooth butter. Now the official drivers are out and it's choppy

I had the complete opposite with the drivers. I had to lower the game quality even to get a choppy 40fps, after the drivers today I cranked everything back up to max and am getting consistent 110.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
There's a lot of issues with this game. ESPECIALLY in co-op, where I'm playing with a group of 4, and we can't do any companion quests because we can't put them in the party. (And we are also missing story from the two people who picked a companion character as a base, because they aren't having the same interactions.)
Are the "Origin" characters the companions? Should I be using Custom Origin instead? Does this problem apply to the "Dark Urge" origin?

Are the "Origin" characters the companions? Should I be using Custom Origin instead? Does this problem apply to the "Dark Urge" origin?
IMO you shouldn't play an origin character in solo/duo play, except for The Dark Urge, which is meant to be a player character I'm pretty sure. Solo feels like a MUCH better experience than 4 player co-op just because the inability to swap characters into your party ruins it.

If you play as an origin character, they won't interact as themselves in conversations, and they won't engage in banter from my experience, but you will randomly get cutscenes about what they are thinking about.

I mucked around with Dark Urge, be ready for the game to take some wilds turns, completely out of your control.

Also, turn off Karmic dice. It makes the dice actually random and not smoothed out for both you and your opponents.

Already been answered but: The origin characters are some of your companions (there are more companions than them) and each of them have their own story and goals, so while you -can- play as one of them as a main character, it's really for a second playthrough, or to play in someone else's game.

The Dark Urge, on the other hand, is an entirely new player character. It is fully customizable just like an original origin character, but its origin is set in stone. That origin is a haunted past, where the character has no memory of their past before the abduction that starts the game, but does know they have a craving for murder and viscera. I actually really find playing as the dark urge interesting, you are basically a character with intrusive thoughts, violent urges, and schizophrenia. Just be warned that if you choose to play through as this character your first time threw, some characters may be unavailable to you, and it can become a very violent, very lonely playthrough.

Absolutely obliterating Timber the squirrel in the Emerald Grove in a split second completely outright made me both guffaw out loud and immediately know that I'm not playing through with this character first.

I mucked around with Dark Urge, be ready for the game to take some wilds turns, completely out of your control.

Also, turn off Karmic dice. It makes the dice actually random and not smoothed out for both you and your opponents.
IDK there are moments where I strongly consider turning Karmic Dice back on. When I go on an unlucky streak, BOY AM I UNLUCKY.

GasBandit

Staff member
Snuffles and I are both playing as non-origin custom characters. He's a half-elf sorcerer, and I'm a human monk. We just made it to the grove and hit level 3, I chose the "way of the open hand" subclass because I'mma trash bozos with my tai kwan leep.

And of course we'd start RIGHT before he has to go out of town for the weekend.

I've actually met him, a long long time ago when Larian was still a small local startup that had just released Divine Divinity. Was a nice guy back then.

Question about combat (because every place I see it discussed it just devolves into "Turn based sucks" vs "it's D&D what do you expect" BS): how is it in practice and how much is there? CRPGs tend to throw way more fights at you, but turn based can quickly become "use the same 3 buffs in the same order every time and then hit the enemy with the same 2 spells every time" boring. I'm perfectly fine with turn based, but it can definitely be done badly in CRPGs and become a total time waster. is it "low level mooks everywhere" or "every enemy matters" or what? :)

I've actually met him, a long long time ago when Larian was still a small local startup that had just released Divine Divinity. Was a nice guy back then.

Question about combat (because every place I see it discussed it just devolves into "Turn based sucks" vs "it's D&D what do you expect" BS): how is it in practice and how much is there? CRPGs tend to throw way more fights at you, but turn based can quickly become "use the same 3 buffs in the same order every time and then hit the enemy with the same 2 spells every time" boring. I'm perfectly fine with turn based, but it can definitely be done badly in CRPGs and become a total time waster. is it "low level mooks everywhere" or "every enemy matters" or what? :)
I actually like the turn based combat, but there isn't an abnormal amount. Much like an actual d&d campaign, mandatory fights are limited to just a couple per expected session, with smaller skirmishes between avoidable if you'd prefer to talk or sneak your way through it.

Even some of the mandatory encounters can be talked through

GasBandit

Staff member
So I'm not very far in or anything but so far the combat feels like they squished Divinity: OS into D&D rules. Can't speak to how repetitive anything is yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Dei
Just wanted to chime in and say all party members not entering combat is not a bug, it can be caused by all sorts of factors including distance and line of sight, cones of vision, etc.

Generally speaking I find it very advantageous to have someone initiate combat alone and have the rest of the team sneak around and find good positions based on the enemy's first movements, though if it's an easy fight there's no need.

Used sanctuary on my mage to body block a very tall ladder that was the only way to reach my party as I rained hell upon some filthy goblins. A few would get through during the turn where sanctuary can't be reapplied, but that was nothing shove and some similar spells couldn't handle.

Just wanted to chime in and say all party members not entering combat is not a bug, it can be caused by all sorts of factors including distance and line of sight, cones of vision, etc.

Generally speaking I find it very advantageous to have someone initiate combat alone and have the rest of the team sneak around and find good positions based on the enemy's first movements, though if it's an easy fight there's no need.

Used sanctuary on my mage to body block a very tall ladder that was the only way to reach my party as I rained hell upon some filthy goblins. A few would get through during the turn where sanctuary can't be reapplied, but that was nothing shove and some similar spells couldn't handle.
Hey there...welcome to the board!

I was looking forward to this. Unfortunately, my PC is crap and I don't have a PS5 yet. I'll have to watch the gameplay videos on YouTube. By the way, the introductory cinematic has a Wilhelm Scream.

Dave

Staff member
After defeating a major enemy I had a party back at my camp. Before I did the big sleep, though, I went to the trader and got rid of everything I didn't think I needed. Then I hit go to camp. Turns out one of the things I didn't think I needed I kinda did. So when I got to camp I apparently took off my armor and was there buck naked. My schlong was all a-hanging out. Which was funny at first and then HILARIOUS in cut scenes as I talked to people, including Shadowheart, who apparently liked it enough that we went off and had ourselves a moment. And a druid flirted with me. Yes, the bear druid. But in my playthrough no squirrels will be dropping their nuts.

GasBandit

Staff member
The game isn't that horny, you guys...

Also, my Dark Urge playthrough....

Meanwhile in my solo playthrough:

Wow, why did this random jobber NPC miniboss have an alchemy bag, supply bag, and pajamas? Wait, have I heard the name "Nightwarden Minthara" before?... oh... oh right. WELP that's what happens when I decide to cheeze an entire fortress to death by doing ranged sneak attacks from the rafters I guess.

Wow, why did this random jobber NPC miniboss have an alchemy bag, supply bag, and pajamas? Wait, have I heard the name "Nightwarden Minthara" before?... oh... oh right. WELP that's what happens when I decide to cheeze an entire fortress to death by doing ranged sneak attacks from the rafters I guess.
That's pretty much how I handled that same area.

Don't feel too bad.

The vast majority of players are going to kill her. In order to get this evil drow as a companion you gotta be ready to do some really evil shit, and it's going to make at the minimum Wyll and Karlach leave your group forever.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Auntie Ethel quest line is buggy AF. It practically SHOUTS "use non lethal damage" but it doesn't seem to make a difference even in the dialogs.

The Auntie Ethel quest line is buggy AF. It practically SHOUTS "use non lethal damage" but it doesn't seem to make a difference even in the dialogs.
I may have accidentally, on purpose. killed all the innocents in that quest, by mistake of course.

GasBandit

Staff member
I may have accidentally, on purpose. killed all the innocents in that quest, by mistake of course.
What gets my goat is there is even dialog "I fought them but don't worry, I just knocked them out, nobody's dead" and the response is "THEY'RE ALL DEAD?! NOOOOOOO!"

Reactions: Far