Administer CPR, STAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
This place is feeling dead. The front page of general is virtually static. It feels like maybe 10 people are posting regularly lately. What happened? People up and left, or did they just run out of pithy things to say?

This place is feeling dead. The front page of general is virtually static. It feels like maybe 10 people are posting regularly lately. What happened? People up and left, or did they just run out of pithy things to say?
Are you serious? I get to work, and there are 300 new posts I haven't read from last night to then. Between 3-4 on my way home, I get home and open the board and there are another 300+ new posts when I log on.

GasBandit

Staff member
Every morning I come in, there's 3 pages of threads with new posts. This place is as jumping as ever, but the segregation of the forum into subforums makes it feel otherwise (which was one of the reasons I never liked the ideas of subforums, instead of 1 forum that feels like it is thriving you get 6 forums that all feel like they're dying).

To combat this, don't just browse the place subforum by subforum, use the NEW POSTS link at the top of the page and it will show you everything new from every subforum.

Yep, I don't even click forums anymore, I just hit "New Posts" every few minutes and chime in with whatever is getting some responses/new threads.

fade

Staff member
WTF I'm on is looking at the same 5 threads at the top of General for the last five days (exaggerating a little, of course)--and not because they're hot topics, either. Maybe more to the point, it's the same 10 people posting in them.

fade

Staff member
Hey, you guys can jump on me all you want. I'm calling it like I see it.

And, yes, not being an idiot, I didn't count the stickies.

Dave

Staff member
I admit that at times it seems slow, but it's really not as bad as it seems. I promise that I'm working to make it better!

Hey, you guys can jump on me all you want. I'm calling it like I see it.

And, yes, not being an idiot, I didn't count the stickies.
See but you are being slightly an idiot, you're only checking "General" instead of "New Posts". There's alot of activity going on in multiple forums.

I click "New Posts" probably once every 5 minutes, in that time, there are TEN-TWENTY new replies/threads in that time almost frequently throughout the day.

Dave

Staff member
It's about getting new blood and having more than the same 10-25 posters making the majority of the posts. Trust me, I do know what you're saying.

As everyone else has said I think we have had about the same traffic it just is broken up over several sub forums.

Dave

Staff member
New blood's acoming from what I understand. How IS the comic forum hunt coming along?
I've been waiting for Tom to pull the trigger so that I can use him as an example and can say, "Look at this guy! He has a web site with an average of about 5k unique users every day. He tried to run a forum but was hit with spam and technical issues, along with the fact that moderation was a pain in the butt. Then he partnered with Halforums and now all he has to do is sit back and relax while we do all the work while his users discuss his strip."

Once Tom pulls the trigger I'm going to be pimping hard with the list Cuyval Dar made.

It's actually felt pretty active to me, but thats because I've been trying to pay more attention to the sub-forums.

I'll be honest, the sub-forum thing is still tough (it feels like it's REALLY hard to get people to go to them). The new post thing however, is AWESOME. I just go right to my CP to pick up where I left of a conversation.

New blood's acoming from what I understand. How IS the comic forum hunt coming along?
I've been waiting for Tom to pull the trigger so that I can use him as an example and can say, "Look at this guy! He has a web site with an average of about 5k unique users every day. He tried to run a forum but was hit with spam and technical issues, along with the fact that moderation was a pain in the butt. Then he partnered with Halforums and now all he has to do is sit back and relax while we do all the work while his users discuss his strip."

Once Tom pulls the trigger I'm going to be pimping hard with the list Cuyval Dar made.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? I get to work, and there are 300 new posts I haven't read from last night to then. Between 3-4 on my way home, I get home and open the board and there are another 300+ new posts when I log on.
Yeah, these days I read "This places is dead!" as synonymous with "I'm freaking bored! Entertain me!". This place churns out hundreds of posts in a 12 hour period.

Once Tom pulls the trigger I'm going to be pimping hard with the list Cuyval Dar made.[/QUOTE]

Man, I don't think he actually wants to at this point. Seems like every time we tried to get him to come over, back when Halforum was new he just flat out didn't want to. Even now with the new look and everything he's had a few weeks to "pull the trigger" and still hasn't.

I don't even know what he has to do other then put in his blogpost "Btw go to www.halforums.com for the TH forum."

You may want to just start laying groundwork with other sites in the event tom just never comes over.

Phil makes a good point actually. Hell, Tom might even be waiting to see how it works for someone else.

That or he's gearing up for a killing spree. Whichever.

fade

Staff member
What I find most hilarious about all of this: the front page of General has been more or less static the whole time you all have been naysaying me.

Look, you're all misunderstanding my point, whether you post a laughing smiley about it or not. Are there new posts? Sure. Mostly by the same top posters, and oftentimes confined to a few active threads. There's still air in a closed up room, but that doesn't mean it's not stuffy. I don't know what you all want me to say. I made it up, and it doesn't feel stagnant lately? Come on.

figmentPez

Staff member
And apparently you're so swamped with posts you didn't comment on the Rydia cosplay I posted a couple days ago. Did you miss it?

GasBandit

Staff member
What I find most hilarious about all of this: the front page of General has been more or less static the whole time you all have been naysaying me.

Look, you're all misunderstanding my point, whether you post a laughing smiley about it or not. Are there new posts? Sure. Mostly by the same top posters, and oftentimes confined to a few active threads. There's still air in a closed up room, but that doesn't mean it's not stuffy. I don't know what you all want me to say. I made it up, and it doesn't feel stagnant lately? Come on.
Again. Don't. Just. Read. General. "New Posts" link. Click it.

Doesn't feel stagnant at all.

I dunno..looks fairly active with a fairly random sampling of posters in the "last post" column.

A number of the threads are new within the last couple hours. All of them have been posted to today.

I think Fade's just bored and hitting refresh over and over and wondering why he's not entertained. :p

Dave

Staff member

Once Tom pulls the trigger I'm going to be pimping hard with the list Cuyval Dar made.[/quote]

Man, I don't think he actually wants to at this point. Seems like every time we tried to get him to come over, back when Halforum was new he just flat out didn't want to. Even now with the new look and everything he's had a few weeks to "pull the trigger" and still hasn't.

I don't even know what he has to do other then put in his blogpost "Btw go to www.halforums.com for the TH forum."

You may want to just start laying groundwork with other sites in the event tom just never comes over.[/QUOTE]

Actually I think there are a few things that are stopping him, not the least is his unemployed status. I think we're just not high on his priority list.

Well, like I said in the very first post, it's not just about numbers of posts.
Fade, I love you, but you're really talented at finding things to bitch about, especially when it comes to the forum. If you think it's stagnant, either try to help by starting up threads and so forth, or leave for a while and come back. Both may help.

I completely agree with this.

Seriously, if Fade left for just one day, and came back, there'd be over 7 pages of new posts. I have no clue what he's going on about.

"It's the same few posters".
I actually counted in the past 3hrs how many different people posted, I stopped at 30 different people.

And THANK YOU! Figment, I DID miss that post!!!! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.