Abridged Shenanigans

Holy fucking shit Tien.

BLOW YOURSELF UP OR LEAVE
This is the last time he's relevant anyway. The popular fan theory is that he couldn't deal with constantly facing one of the guys who murdered Chao-tzu (who everyone just kind of forgives) and they just kind of go off into the woods to avoid everyone after that. I always thought it was a bit hypocritical though because no one seems to have a problem with Piccolo... not even CHI-CHI and he kidnapped her son/killed her husband.

This is the last time he's relevant anyway. The popular fan theory is that he couldn't deal with constantly facing one of the guys who murdered Chao-tzu (who everyone just kind of forgives) and they just kind of go off into the woods to avoid everyone after that. I always thought it was a bit hypocritical though because no one seems to have a problem with Piccolo... not even CHI-CHI and he kidnapped her son/killed her husband.
Yeah I remember him not really showing up anymore post-Cell, always thought that was odd.

This was one of the better episodes in recent months, though. Some great moments.

Well hey now, in the Prince of all Sayian's defence, Nappa did most of the work. Come to think of it, the only person Vegeta even killed during that whole thing WAS Nappa.

....not for a lack of trying with the rest, but still!

I cannot for the life of me remember who Launch is, but the name is familiar, and I feel like when I Google the name, I'm going to smack my forehead.

BRB

Oh, I was worried for nothing. I can't remember her.

GasBandit

Staff member
I cannot for the life of me remember who Launch is, but the name is familiar, and I feel like when I Google the name, I'm going to smack my forehead.

BRB

Oh, I was worried for nothing. I can't remember her.
She was the woman with the split personality Roshi used to perv on back in Dragonball. She lived in Kame House with Roshi and Oolong, the "nice" personality half made them food and mothered them, the "mean" half beat them up and shot at them with machine guns. The trigger to switch her personality was sneezing.

When DBZ started, Toriyama just straight up forgot she existed, and thus she had disappeared. This abridged series even lampshaded that in Ep 10 part 1:

Last edited:
I feel like even with a month (or two) between releases, the story is still progressing faster than it did when it was on TV when I was a teenager (without the random starting over from the beginning that we got).

So I just watched some thing on the Nerdist where they had the real voice cast doing dubovers of "classic" movies. It dawned on me that they sound like the cheap knockoffs now and the Abridged cast is who I think of as the real one.

So I just watched some thing on the Nerdist where they had the real voice cast doing dubovers of "classic" movies. It dawned on me that they sound like the cheap knockoffs now and the Abridged cast is who I think of as the real one.
It's funny because at first I thought "man most of these guys sound just like the dub VAs," but even the Japanese ones sound weird to me compared to TFS.

GasBandit

Staff member
FF7 Abridged trailer

Welp, I'm gonna watch that. I don't quite agree with some of the character interpretations (like making softy-matron Tifa a ballbusting aggrochick), but these guys know how to write some goddamned dialog, let me tell ya.

There were a few lines in there that made me chuckle, but I agree with Gas on making Tifa aggressive, that seems real off.

GasBandit

Staff member

Spoilered because I don't want to color anyone else's viewing of the above

I hope this starts to get a lot better really soon... It just... seems to be a lot worse writing and acting than DBZ:A.

But I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to get there... the early eps of DBZ:A, going back and watching them, were also pretty crap.

I hope this starts to get a lot better really soon... It just... seems to be a lot worse writing and acting than DBZ:A.

But I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to get there... the early eps of DBZ:A, going back and watching them, were also pretty crap.
Needs some traction, I guess. I had the same idea about DBZA being bad at the start. Then again, I'm not sure machinima will have the same effect as animated material. Part of the fun in DBZA is them mocking the animation itself and with machinima it's mostly all about the voice acting. Sure, you can pull off a great machinima parody, but usually those have their own original plotlines and are not re-enactments of the source material