Abridged Shenanigans

figmentPez

Staff member
That series is not good.
And it keeps getting worse. Even the better written jokes have terrible timing. How is this so bad?[DOUBLEPOST=1447967897,1447967823][/DOUBLEPOST]And, because I feel bad for anyone who saw this thread was active and was hoping for DBZA:

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, this time the shenanigans are copyright claims taking down Youtube videos:

Looks like episodes 24 - 49 are down at the moment, as well as 3 of the movies.

Japanese companies really dont understand the Internet
Well... no, they understand it perfectly well. Anime companies need to sell DVDs and merch to survive in Japan... you don't sell the DVDs, you don't get more seasons. But the prices for DVDs in Japan are -insane-. It actually used to be cheaper to import American DVD sets and just turn on subtitles, but now the internet and streaming has made it even easier to avoid paying those outrageous prices. That's not even getting into how DBZ Abridged has kind of subverted the popularity of the original series, with many fans actually preferring the abridged version to the actual show.

As such, Toei just does blanket copyright claims in order to preserve sales. To them, it's just about preserving the DVD sales. They don't care about the fans, they care about staying in business.

I don't think they do. If they did, they'd have been trying to get out of the DVD market for a long time.
Physical media is SO two thousand late.
Japan has always been slow to adapt to new business models, mostly because their society frowns on break-outs. It doesn't help that the recession had them doubling down on known quantities on what to produce, which lead to the production of a lot of... well, underage schoolgirls being exploited sexually vicariously in the medium. Say what you will about the worst of the otaku, they have NO problem spending 60 bucks on a pillow with a schoolgirl (that cost maybe a buck to make).

Anybody torturing themselves by watching the FF Machinima one? Does it get better after the first few episodes?

So TFS have been struck from Youtube by Toei....even after Toei and Funimation had the monetization rights.

Japanese companies are so ass backwards.

So TFS have been struck from Youtube by Toei....even after Toei and Funimation had the monetization rights.

Japanese companies are so ass backwards.
I think it's because they understand that DBZ Abridged -is- Dragonball Z for a lot of people. I can't even go back to watching the original series anymore...

GasBandit

Staff member
The timing of these movies always confuses me. Goku knows how to Kaioken, but apparently isn't Super Saiyan yet.. which would place it sometime between his first defeating Vegeta and leaving for Namek in the Frieza saga? I am not familiar enough with the material perhaps, but I was under the impression that Goku left as soon as he was out of the hospital? Or am I not remembering correctly?

Also, didn't Gohan, Krillin and Bulma leave for Namek before Goku recovered?

Last edited:
The timing of these movies always confuses me. Goku knows how to Kaioken, but apparently isn't Super Saiyan yet.. which would place it sometime between his first defeating Vegeta and leaving for Namek in the Frieza saga? I am not familiar enough with the material perhaps, but I was under the impression that Goku left as soon as he was out of the hospital? Or am I not remembering correctly?

Also, didn't Gohan, Krillin and Bulma leave for Namek before Goku recovered?
My understanding is the movies (with one exception) DO NOT take place in the actual plot line of DBZ. Instead, they should be treated like "What if"-type stories.

The only movies the SHOW considered to be canon are Dead Zone, which happens BEFORE DBZ starts, and Tree of Might... which blatantly cannot happen in any fashion because it's before Goku can go Super Saiyan but AFTER he can Kaio-Ken (so during the Namek Saga) and Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, and Chiaotzu are alive when they should be dead. There really is no excuse.

The latest Dragon Ball movie is considered canon as well, mostly because Beerus shows up sometimes in Dragon Ball Super.

Also "Wrath of the Dragon" and that one where Vegeta's brother came to Earth to warn them that two of Frieza's old fat henchman were coming to take over the Earth. Also the manga with Jago fits in there somewhere.

The only movies the SHOW considered to be canon are Dead Zone, which happens BEFORE DBZ starts, and Tree of Might... which blatantly cannot happen in any fashion because it's before Goku can go Super Saiyan but AFTER he can Kaio-Ken (so during the Namek Saga) and Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, and Chiaotzu are alive when they should be dead. There really is no excuse.

The latest Dragon Ball movie is considered canon as well, mostly because Beerus shows up sometimes in Dragon Ball Super.
How does the show treat Tree of Might as canon then? Did they reference it at some point?