[Question] A Question of Grammatical Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that "America," when written as such, is a proper noun, and thus always capitalized.
e.g. "Columbus discovered America."

However, does one capitalize the "a" when it is "the americas?"
e.g. "Columbus discovered the americas" or "Columbus discovered the Americas?"

In that case, to me it seems like the noun is referring in general to land masses of the western hemisphere, and so might not be a proper noun.

Europe, Antarctica, Asia, Africa, Australia... No other continent is exempt, so neither are we! America is always capitalised, whether it's North America, South America, or just generally the Americas.

I thought it were the Mogol (or people from that area of Asia) Nomands who crossed the Bering Straigt and became the native americans,who were the first to discover the Americas.

I thought it were the Mogol (or people from that area of Asia) Nomands who crossed the Bering Straigt and became the native americans,who were the first to discover the Americas.
They just crossed a bridge. They didn't know WTF they were going.

The mentioned explorers were like... WTF IS THIS?

Im pretty sure most "explorers" dont know wtf they were doing.pick a direction and go with it.If you were lucky you found land if not you were dead.
Columbus thought he was in India when he landed in America,remember?

I demand a source.
You'll never get one. Columbus held on to the believe that he was in the East-Indies or other previously-contacted regions right up to his deathbed. He said they were new Spanish lands, not a New World. That's pure fiction added on much later. It wasn't 'till they reached the Pacific Coast that it was really believed that it was a separate continent.

I just finished writing a paper about whether it was actually the Chinese who first landed on the west cost of America in 1421, 70 years before Columbus set sail. I managed to reach 4/5 pages of mostly bullshit because the dang thing needed to be finished and turned in before this hour.

Guys, look. You're all wrong. It's capitalized, but not how you think. It's actually aMericas. See? Capital M, there?

I AM A PUBLISHED AUTHOR, BITCHES! MY WORD IS THE WORD OF GOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.