A Hat?

Didn't we used to have a HalForum shop? As in, the one I bought my awesome big mug from? It had caps and hats with the durr logo on it.

That aside, fedora's rock. The people who've taken to wearing them are asshats. It's a crying shame.

And I think you need to listne to @Yoshimickster , he's obviously got awesome hat taste.

The only acceptable hat in Texas..

but unless you wear the giant belt buckle, they'll all know that you're a poseur.

(the sad thing is that only one of these things is a novelty item...)

Don't get a hat that seems too stiff - it will sit oddly on your head.
Don't get the trucker mesh hat - the early 2000s have come and gone.
Don't get a hat made out of leather/suede/fur/felt - stick to cotton or a cotton-poly blend or linen.
Don't get a New Era flat billed baseball caps - those are ridiculous.

DO get a hat with either an elastic-fitted band or a velcro band - avoid the plastic snap kind.
DO get a hat that is neutral in color and logo - unless you have a hockey club that you support.
But, avoid giant logos or large embroidered logos.

For a plain ball cap, I'd go with one of these Amazon ball cap

Last edited:
Never, ever, ever take any sort of fashion advice from this man.
Kid, I dress so well you don't even know. With your goddamn adidas sandals. Feh. It's not like I wear a kangaroo leather hat to my office. But it's a good outdoorsy hat, and damn if I don't look good wearing it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kid, I dress so well you don't even know. With your goddamn adidas sandals. Feh. It's not like I wear a kangaroo leather hat to my office. But it's a good outdoorsy hat, and damn if I don't look good wearing it.
Actually, I haven't worn adidas sandals in a while, the little woman has had me step up to these... I don't know what they are but they're a lot nicer and more expensive, have memory foam insoles and whatnot. Logo is a Q with 4 dots under it.

Does that ragged ratskin you put on your head have memory foam? I didn't think so.

Don't get a hat that seems too stiff - it will sit oddly on your head.
Don't get the trucker mesh hat - the early 2000s have come and gone.
Don't get a hat made out of leather/suede/fur/felt - stick to cotton or a cotton-poly blend or linen.
Don't get a New Era flat billed baseball caps - those are ridiculous.

DO get a hat with either an elastic-fitted band or a velcro band - avoid the plastic snap kind.
DO get a hat that is neutral in color and logo - unless you have a hockey club that you support.
But, avoid giant logos or large embroidered logos.

For a plain ball cap, I'd go with one of these Amazon ball cap
I feel like this needs to be set to music.

--Patrick

The great thing about Amazon is that there's a depot like 45 minutes from my house. So the cheapest kind of shipping that should take 6-10 days means that I'll have my hat on Monday, if not tomorrow, having ordered it less than an hour ago.

Actually, I haven't worn adidas sandals in a while, the little woman has had me step up to these... I don't know what they are but they're a lot nicer and more expensive, have memory foam insoles and whatnot. Logo is a Q with 4 dots under it.

Does that ragged ratskin you put on your head have memory foam? I didn't think so.
It does not.

I do like memory foam.

Those are the highest quality and longest lasting hats. Why would you want to steer him so wrong?
He seemed to want a plain ball cap, and a ball cap made out of that stuff will make your head literally sweat a ton.
If it was a cowboy hat, bowler, fedora, etc., then sure get the beaver pelt. ;)

...make your head literally sweat a ton...
I was about to slap you with a disagree, but figured I'd better check... just in case. Aaaaaaand given that the average human head sweats about one cup per day, and the hat should last over ten years, then yes - you may sweat a literal ton of water if you wear it daily, all day and night, in a warm environment.

However, that will happen whether you're wearing the cap or not. The question is does the cap allow the moisture to wick away and evaporate, or provides enough ventilation to allow evaporation of at least 1 cup per day. Leather and similar materials don't breath through the material, but a properly made hat with a simple sweatband and a few holes on the top will provide enough wicking/airflow to handle average sweating.

Remove the sweatband, shave your head (for a good seal) and seal the holes, however, and you'll have about a cup of sweat sloshing around up there after a 24 hour period.

And that's literally disgusting.

Using literally for emphasis is like using your shoe as a hammer for roofing nails, as a fly swatter, and as something to throw when you're too lazy to get up and hit your friend in the head with your fist. It may get the job done, but if you have a sufficiently large vocabulary then you can use the correct emphasizing word that provides additional value and meaning to the conversation.

It is the vocal equivalent of using 'like' in your sentences, or adding zucchini to your brownies. No flavor is added - merely fluff and nonsubstance.

Like, you know?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done because it's being used incorrectly. I'm saying it shouldn't be done because it's a lazy word.

btw, I'm just in an argumentative mood, I don't actually care about word usage anywhere near as much as my previous post may suggest.

Though I will shoot you where you stand if you use "could of" - that's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I miss the days when @allen flipped tables over similes.