A generic religion thread.

Religion being used for good? In this economy?
They've only bought up WASP debt, enabling them to buy up properties owned by black people who can't afford their mortgages anymore, thus making their suburb white again?
In lieu of debt payments these people are now obligated to pay the same sum to the church in perpetuity?
To be eligible for the debt relief they needed to provide nude pictures of any living in members of their family between the ages of six and twelve?
To receive debt relief they had to sign over power of attorney for their voting rights for the next twenty years to the minister?
I dunno, just trying to think of ways to make it make sense in our modern society :troll:
(sorry to all ministers etc on our board, I'm joking)

figmentPez

Staff member
Can someone clarify? I don't understand the tweets or the people. I feel quite lost here.
The tweets are from a sex worker, something I didn't realize until it MindDetective said something.

As to the content of the tweets, the TL;DR is that debt collection agencies do not like to sell debt to anyone who plans on just forgiving the debt, and will refuse to sell if they know the debt is going to be forgiven. They do not want people to realize that debt has an expiration date, one based on when the most recent payment date was.

There are 2000 evacuees in this town of 2500. Every public building is being used to house evacuees, the town hall, the arena, the pool, every hotel and motel in town. High Level has a half dozen massive churches, more than is needed for this town. Not a single one has opened it's doors to evacuees. Not one. I live right next a massive church whose parking lot is empty 6 days a week.

Fuck religion.

GasBandit

Staff member
Back in the mid 80s...

How dare you be unclothed in front of the opposite sex! If God wanted us to be naked, we would have been born that way!

Probably belongs here more than it would the "funny" thread:

inheritance.jpg

Jennifer Meeks is the wife of Arkansas GOP State Senator Stephen Meeks. As a result, some people have raised the concern that this could technically be considered an instance of government censorship.

--Patrick

Probably belongs here more than it would the "funny" thread:

View attachment 45766

Jennifer Meeks is the wife of Arkansas GOP State Senator Stephen Meeks. As a result, some people have raised the concern that this could technically be considered an instance of government censorship.

--Patrick
IANAL but as she is acting on her own and not in the stead of an agent of the Federal or State government, I don't think it would be considered a 1st amendment issue. still a dick move to remove existing material, I would leave a Bible in our local box if someone placed it there, I might remove extraneous bibles if they stuffed it full of them, but would generally leave it be.

IANAL but as she is acting on her own and not in the stead of an agent of the Federal or State government, I don't think it would be considered a 1st amendment issue.
IANALE, but there are things The Law says that You Can't Do Because Of Who You Are Or Are Related To, and unless/until they get tested in court, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and avoid any kind of perceived impropriety.

--Patrick

IANALE, but there are things The Law says that You Can't Do Because Of Who You Are Or Are Related To, and unless/until they get tested in court, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and avoid any kind of perceived impropriety.

--Patrick
I think testing in the courts have shown that as long as they're rich enough it doesn't matter.

Stephen has LEAPT to his wife's defense, according to Newsweek magazine.
Meeks' husband said that her words were being taken out of context and clarified that she did not take out any LGBTQ-related materials in exchange for the bibles she has added to the libraries, nor would she advocate for others to do something similar. "Somebody on the left took that and interpreted it as my wife going all over central Arkansas, pulling Pride books out of these little libraries and replacing them with bibles and nothing is further from the truth," Stephen Meeks told Newsweek. "My wife would not do that. She would not advocate for that. She would be opposed to that."
In response, the Meeks' critics released...
...a list of bills that Stephen voted in favor of during the last legislative session, including one that criminalizes librarians for "knowingly" distributing material found to be obscene and a controversial "bathroom bill" that prohibits adults to knowingly stay in a bathroom with minors of the opposite biological sex.
--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Ohio pastor arraigned after being charged for housing homeless at church

The city is charging them with zoning and fire code violations.

"According to First Liberty Institute, Avell decided last March to keep his church open all the time because the neighboring local homeless shelter was often full, forcing some of the town's homeless to stay outside. He claimed his church has since been able to help at least 100 people who are struggling with homelessness."