[Question] 3D Printing goes global.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, we're on the verge of replicators becoming reality?
Replicators that use petroleum as base matter. If printing really takes off like we think, it'll be yet another demand for oil. Soooo... pick another middle-eastern nation in need of liberation and break out the fracking machines. MUA HA HA HA HA

Replicators that use petroleum as base matter. If printing really takes off like we think, it'll be yet another demand for oil. Soooo... pick another middle-eastern nation in need of liberation and break out the fracking machines. MUA HA HA HA HA
The most popular plastic for dedicated reprap users is actually PLA, which is based on corn starch is is both biodegradable and renewable.

Abs is still more popular overall, due to durability and flexibility, but when oil becomes too expensive we can readily replace most plastics with a renewable version.

Actual question for those more informed: is the material in the objects made re-usable? Can you, for example, "melt down" an object that came out wrong for whatever reason and re-use the material?

GasBandit

Staff member
The most popular plastic for dedicated reprap users is actually PLA, which is based on corn starch is is both biodegradable and renewable.

Abs is still more popular overall, due to durability and flexibility, but when oil becomes too expensive we can readily replace most plastics with a renewable version.
GAHD do you have to ruin EVERYTHING?

GAHD do you have to ruin EVERYTHING?
Obviously you missed out on the fact that this only leads to more corn subsidies, and their whole suite of problems. You can throw in some Monsanto mania for extra credit.

Do you have to miss EVERY setup?[DOUBLEPOST=1367942265][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actual question for those more informed: is the material in the objects made re-usable? Can you, for example, "melt down" an object that came out wrong for whatever reason and re-use the material?
Right now all these prints use thermoplastics, which can be melted and reused. There are a number of open source projects for turning plastic pellets into the filament these printers use, and eventually you'll find that you can grind up parts and turn them into filament for the printers.

So yes, with the plastics people are using now you can. It may be that someone will start supply thermoset plastics, which can only be melted once, for printers, but that's probably some time down the road, and only for specialized applications, such as rubberized grips.

Even in it's first generation state, it will probably be cheaper to print role-playing miniatures than it is to buy the plastic ones.

Zappit

Staff member
Huh. Some of these things are only a few grand. I should save up for awhile, and think about producing action figures.

GasBandit

Staff member
Few grand? Try a hundred bucks. No drivers necessary either, it works by SOUND DATA with your headphone and microphone jacks.

figmentPez

Staff member
I saw a blurb in Popular Science about advancing suit technology for the Winter Olympics. It made me wonder, how long until we're 3D printing suits directly onto athletes right before the competition so that suits can be completely seamless, without even a zipper?

That'll be a while. I don't think the materials technology is going to be up to printing the space-age materials/textures used in many of those suits.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
That'll be a while. I don't think the materials technology is going to be up to printing the space-age materials/textures used in many of those suits.
True, decades at the least, I should think.

Still, in the meantime it will be fun to eat 3D printed sugary confections:

GasBandit

Staff member
I always thought the next logical step in those suits was to keep them in liquid form and then just dip the athlete in naked and spray on a catalyst to quick-dry the suit right before the event.

I always thought the next logical step in those suits was to keep them in liquid form and then just dip the athlete in naked and spray on a catalyst to quick-dry the suit right before the event.
For the swimsuits it's not just the material, but the texture that makes the big difference. It's going to be a long time before we can build a suit on someone that's competitive.

Further, there's no real benefit. Seams are not an issue with modern sewing techniques, and humans can get into and out of clothing far more easily and cheaply than having it printed on them.

I expect clothing will still be made, even if by a printer, off human for the foreseeable future.

When 3D printing really goes global, the early adopters will produce the parts to make 3D printers themselves, so those will be cheaper and more widely available to everyone. In time, people will also start to make parts that automatically make parts for printers, culminating in a fully realised assembly line for printers. To allow for customization, software will be developed and computers will be printed to automate the assembly lines. This evolution goes on for a while, until one day, JUDGEMENT DAY arrives and John Connor leaps up and tweets around the world "I Told You So! My mom is gonna be so pissed at you guys..".

When 3D printing really goes global, the early adopters will produce the parts to make 3D printers themselves, so those will be cheaper and more widely available to everyone. In time, people will also start to make parts that automatically make parts for printers, culminating in a fully realised assembly line for printers. To allow for customization, software will be developed and computers will be printed to automate the assembly lines. This evolution goes on for a while, until one day, JUDGEMENT DAY arrives and John Connor leaps up and tweets around the world "I Told You So! My mom is gonna be so pissed at you guys..".
hashtagapocalypse