[NHL] 2011-2012 Season is Over (Kings take the Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, you could pull a knife on a guy in the NHL and only get a fine if they guy you victimize doesn't get hurt.

Tap him with your stick and he misses a game? Well now we're talking 15+ games...

B

BErt

Honestly I'm shocked Weber didn't get a 3 year suspension since bettman was in the house last night. I assumed that was the only reason Detroit and Nashville had like 5 billion penalties between them since that was all the announcers were talking about.

The officials in the NAS-DET game were calling all sorts of ticky-tack stuff because GB was in the house. Problem was, the refs were paying attention to everything except cheap shots as the game wound down.

These two teams do NOT like each other, and THAT is what the refs should have been paying attention to instead of "roughing" penalties.

I don't like your cat fish throwing thing. It's too close to the octopuss. Try something innovative like the fans in Toronto and throw waffles at the start of the season and golf balls at the end.

I don't care for the arrogance of most Red Wings fans, so it's a wash.

Catfish fit the city of Nashville. Deal with it. :csi:

B

BErt

I don't care for the arrogance of most Red Wings fans, so it's a wash
And I think it's adorable that Nashville thinks they're our rival (amidoingarrogantright?)

Anyway, it's still really weird switching from cnbc to "not vs" ...I miss the local CBC feed that directv won't let me have.

It's kind of like Ottawa saying that they are Toronto's rivals.

Toronto's rivals are in order: MTL, BOS, DET, NYR, CHI, BUF, LAK, & NJD

B

BErt

Jesus Christ, I remember hating the hell out of Tie Domi, and we only saw him...maybe 5 times a year.

*yes, I'm one of the Wings fans that hope every year we get moved into the Eastern Conference.

Well, I know we don't like them. (The Kings).

We also don't care much for the Ducks or the Sharks - or the Canucks.

Our "relationship" with the Red Wings is simple - big brother vs. little brother. And it's been a pretty nasty relationship. 94 games since '98.

And if we beat them in the playoffs, we've accomplished something. Enough where it could mean REAL momentum.

I don't like your cat fish throwing thing. It's too close to the octopuss. Try something innovative like the fans in Toronto and throw waffles at the start of the season and golf balls at the end.
I'm still scratching my head about the waffle thing. Are they just what one normally brings to the ACC? If so, why?

I have to try hard to remember L.A. is even in the league, let alone be someone's rival.
I routinely forget myself.
But then I remember the whole Gretzky/ Gilmour thing. Game 6 of the conference final with Toronto leading the series 3-2. Overtime. Gretzky high sticks Gilmour, Gilmour bleeds everywhere, needs 8 stiches, no penalty for Gretzky, who scores the winning goal immediately after, while he should be in the penalty box.... and a hat trick in the next game to win the series for LA. I guess that's where that comes from.

Honestly, I'd put Ottawa ahead of LA though in terms of Toronto's rivalries. I don't think the rivalry is taken anywhere near as intensely by the fans in Toronto as it is in Ottawa, but on the ice there definitely does seem to be extra intensity every time. And the Gretzky thing was nearly 20 years ago.

Still, fans can hold a grudge, I guess. After all, we haven't had more than a handful of post-seasons since then. And the post season is where real rivalries are born. (Which is why Toronto-Ottawa isn't all that serious)

Also, is anyone watching the Women's World Championships? Looks like yet another USA-Canada Gold medal game, and USA is heavily favoured to win this one. Canada took a beating the first game of the tournament the two played eachother.
Hopefully some other nations will start performing. I'd hate to see the sport removed from the Olympics due to a lack of serious competitors.

Okay I'm posting way too much in this thread today.

Anyway, James Reimer mailed my sister an autographed rookie card personalized to my nephew. Pretty cool of him.Hope this was a sophomore slump and he bounces back next season.

You tell a terrible story younglin!

It's the 75th Anniversary of the NHL, Montreal is already secured a place in the finals. The entire hockey world is on pins and needles over a potential Montreal vs Toronto Stanley Cup, not seen since the expansion era. A young commissioner has a different view though. Los Angeles has the greatest most marketable player in hockey, who better to promote hockey to the American TV base than Wayne Gretzky in the Cup final!

Game 1 is handily won by the Leafs, and marked by a blatant attempt to injure Toronto's best player.

Game 6 looms, overtime, the Leafs are just about to kill off a penalty when Gretzky high sticks Gilmour. Now back then, a high stick that drew blood was a 5 min major penalty and a game misconduct followed by possible suspension. But even though Dougie is spilling blood all over the rink, "nobody saw how it happened", Kerry Fraser the referee is faced with a hard decision, does he eject the best player in the world and almost guarantee a Leafs victory? So he determines that Gilmour was struck by the puck, and play continues. Seconds later Gretzky scores to force game 7.

I miss Gilmour. I'm kind of looking more forward to the alumni game next year than I am the actual Winter Classic. It'll be like being 7 years old again.

Serious or not, I love hearing the conspiracy theories Leaf fans come up with to justify the team's constant failures and mediocrity.
We need our stories and conspiracy theories because we all know the truth. It's a silent bond that keeps the Leafs Nation together.

Status
Not open for further replies.