Zelda BOTW Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm pretty sure once you do the opening area and the four shrines that if you want to run straight to ganon and fight him with a stick, you can.
Aside from the stick thing, yeah, that's pretty much what this run did. No clothing, and only three hearts, but he did pick up shields and weapons along the path to Ganon, most of which broke at some point during the fight.

Speaking of the final fight with Ganon:

I was getting some serious Dark Souls vibes from his final form.

Man, so, my habit of not taking the beaten path is causing me to miss so much stuff. I generally explore weird nooks and crannies, but I literally didn't find Hestu before I pulled the Master Sword and had like 56 Korok seeds.

Though I made the trek to Zora's Domain yesterday, I decided to head back from one stable in hope of finding Hatenko, which worked out mostly well. Did some stuff with that, but then I went to do a sidequest and got side-track. Ended up making and hopping ice pillars across a bay to reach a shrine on an island, where it was a trial of strength, robot version IV I think? Anyway, my equipment was absolute shit compared to his, but after figuring out the dodge stuff again and wearing down all my shields and most of my weapons, I was able to get him.

Now I'm in well-earned climbing gear and my only non-guardian weapon is a farmer's hoe, but it was all worth it.

I'm at 17.5 hours. I don't expect to have this game beat for a long while since I'm not playing it daily, and I'll sure to be taking a break when Dark Souls 3 DLC drops, and then late Christmas present from my aunts a week later, Persona 5.

One divine beast "liberated" now. I have no idea which to go to next though, as when I got the Death Mountain tower earlier, jumping off almost-immediately got me the "hot area" problem, so I don't think I'll return there right now, as beyond potions/food (which can run out) I don't have any anti-hot clothing. Also there's a guardian on the road, and considering those guys are still near-instant death (when do they become "not" that btw?) I think I shouldn't go that way. I'll probably just do a bunch of sidequests in Zora's Domain and such, get more shrines, etc. Generally wander about.

Anybody know where to get "the other two" parts of the Zora Armour? I remember somebody (in-game) mentioned in passing the helmet was somewhere around Zora's domain (hell if I remember where), but pants/flippers would be nice too.

Anyway, my equipment was absolute shit compared to his, but after figuring out the dodge stuff again and wearing down all my shields and most of my weapons, I was able to get him.
I dunno if other people have had the same experience, but I found that if I load up on a 3x defense meal beforehand, even the "major" guardians in the trials and most mini-bosses in the overland do very little damage (haven't gotten shot by an overland guardian yet under that circumstance), so I can keep my meaner 2H weapons at the ready the whole time. Then if they finally chip away my health to the danger zone, I usually pop a full-hearts + extra hearts meal, and I'm good to go (plus, I make sure to always run with 4 fairies).

(and I don't do bosses while the Zora Champ skill is on CD)

Anybody know where to get "the other two" parts of the Zora Armour? I remember somebody (in-game) mentioned in passing the helmet was somewhere around Zora's domain (hell if I remember where), but pants/flippers would be nice too.
If you turn left at the top of the area where you turn right to get to the Red Lynel (at the top of the three waterfalls), you get to a small lake with some ruins in it, the helm is in a chest under the water.

The legs come from the quest to take a picture of the Red Lynel and bring it back to one of the Zora that you run into on your way out of town. If you killed it already, I would just wait for a Blood Moon to respawn it.

I got all four beasts and all the memory spots, then went and killed Ganon last night. I still have lots of random stuff to do, but after ~70 hours I felt like making a run at the ending. I found it very short and unsatisfying, but at least I'm having fun with the rest of the game.

Re: Death Mountain.
You can sneak around the lone guardian on the road there. You will need to food/potion your way up, because flame resist gear (NOT heat resist) isn't available until you get to Goron City.

As for Overworld Guardians
Once you find the Ancient Akala Tech Lab run by Robbie you can start killing guardians fairly easily. Guardian Arrows in particular will let you one shot them if you hit them in the eye as they are aiming at you.

I "withdrew" from the Akala region (at least I think that's where it is in the North-East) because I saw flying guardians around the tower, and was scared.

Thanks for all the advice though. I appreciate it.

Man, once you "get" how to fight stalker guardians, they definitely stop being the boogeymen they once were. They go from "run, run, run" to "C'mere AND GIMME YOUR COGS." in like one step.

For the tilting pad maze, you can sit the end of it against where the ball comes out, then swing it to where it's supposed to go. Completely circumvent the maze.

For the one where you need to swing your hammer like a crochet mallet against the time-frozen ball to hit it across the water, into the hole there, that one just sucks. You have to hit it in a straight line, nothing less.

For the tilting pad maze, you can sit the end of it against where the ball comes out, then swing it to where it's supposed to go. Completely circumvent the maze.

For the one where you need to swing your hammer like a crochet mallet against the time-frozen ball to hit it across the water, into the hole there, that one just sucks. You have to hit it in a straight line, nothing less.
That isn't even the worst tilt table puzzle. There's one that is FAAAAAAAAR more annoying. But it couldn't be called a mini golf puzzle, so I know that isn't the one being talked about. :)

For the putter one, I set the game pad on a flat surface, hit the button to start it, then just picked up one end and set it back down.

I hated the...er....Hateno temple puzzle, but I did eventually get it. Still, it took me 40 minutes *grumble*.

I hated the...er....Hateno temple puzzle, but I did eventually get it. Still, it took me 40 minutes *grumble*.
What Dei said. Just point the "end" of the maze upward where the ball comes out if you dropped it, and then you're practically done at the beginning.

But I guess that information is no longer useful to you :p.[DOUBLEPOST=1489465630,1489465599][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah well, its a little harder to do when on handheld mode >_<
Then quit playing while driving!

Please, they totally expect you to do it that way. I say this because there's a later tilt table puzzle that has spikes all over the bottom so that you CAN'T do that.

3 slots, 3 balls, no roof to the platform.

Fuck that one. Hard.

At this point though, every time they let me know ahead of time that I'm gonna need to go and grab the gamepad instead of the pro controller I'm already mad

I'm just not as far in the game as you guys so I haven't seen the true trials and tribulations. I honestly don't expect to have this finished for a couple of months at the rate I play, plus with interruptions (Dark Souls 3 DLC, Persona 5, in-laws visiting :mad: ) coming down the pipe.

Some folk have found all 900 Korok seeds. Hestu gives you a reward.

And it's the perfect depiction of achievement culture in games.

Finished Horizon so now I'm all aboard this train.

And I've started a grassfire and cooked myself...

Last edited:
Finished Horizon so now I'm all aboard this train.

And I've started a grassfire and cooked myself...
I did not take into account fire would have any environment impact until I was stuck in a field of dry grass while bokoblins chased me with blazing torches

Also, I said it before and I'll say it again THIS GAME SO GODDAMN BIG. I went up that mountain behind Zora's Domain, and was just like ... vast countryside sprawling to the coast, and then all the way to the volcano. And that's all just in the upper northeast section of the game. I have yet to set foot in the north, west, or south. It's just mind-boggling.

I'm finally in the water dungeon, but it was too late at night when I got there to really see what it was about. It feels weird getting to a dungeon after all the open world stuff. And here I was worried Nintendo wouldn't know how to do an enjoyable open world; never thought I'd be perfectly fine playing a Zelda game for over 20 hours before reaching a dungeon. The mini-dungeon shrines help though.

Knocked a bokoblin off a horse and took the horse. I intended this to just be a quick way to escape the monster horde ahead.

Turned out this horse is the most well-behaved I've encountered. I thought before that the horse controls were shit--nope, I just had shitty horses. Took this one to the stable, already at Max Bond, maybe for rescuing from the bokoblins.

Knocked a bokoblin off a horse and took the horse. I intended this to just be a quick way to escape the monster horde ahead.

Turned out this horse is the most well-behaved I've encountered. I thought before that the horse controls were shit--nope, I just had shitty horses. Took this one to the stable, already at Max Bond, maybe for rescuing from the bokoblins.
Horse controls are fine, but if you're near the road they'll try to follow it by default, which can make controls feel janky.