Zelda BOTW Thread

Okay, then I don't feel like earning the horse's love beyond rescuing it. Which was all it took this time, so this is now my main horse.

She kicked a Moblin in the gut. She's a good horse.

Here's the key to controlling horses: DON'T HOLD FORWARD. Seriously, just don't. Only use left and right a bit, and "A" to accellerate. You need to hold back on the stick to get it to slow down, but that's it.

Serious steering problems before. Now fine!

Here's the key to controlling horses: DON'T HOLD FORWARD. Seriously, just don't. Only use left and right a bit, and "A" to accellerate. You need to hold back on the stick to get it to slow down, but that's it.

Serious steering problems before. Now fine!
Really, if you've played Shadow of the Colossus, you learn this pretty quickly. If not, you get forcibly dismounted and die a lot.

--Patrick

Really, if you've played Shadow of the Colossus, you learn this pretty quickly. If not, you get forcibly dismounted and die a lot.

--Patrick
It does feel a lot like that, although in Shadow of the Colossus, while Aggro would fight you a lot, it was pretty clear this was Aggro being too big a horse for Wander. When push came to shove, Aggro would do what you needed her to do, like the few colossi that were best attacked on horseback. The horses in Breath of the Wild will give you shit until you earn their love, then be easy to coast. I hold forward on my new horse and it works out fine because we have MAX BOND.

I'm coming home soon to finish this biiiiiitch! God damn week long hospital stays ruining my Zeldaing.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

anyone else getting disk read errors on a perfect disk? I'm going to trade it in for a new copy tomorrow at ebgames.

anyone else getting disk read errors on a perfect disk? I'm going to trade it in for a new copy tomorrow at ebgames.
Disk? Since when did it come on a hard disk drive? Or do you mean a Digital Video Disc? The latter is (essentially) what WiiU games were I thought, or are they a blu-ray variant?

Yes I'm being pedantic. It's always annoyed me how people screw those two spellings up, though I'm willing to bet that there is no reason for a difference historically, that somebody misspelled one of them officially, and then ran with it forevermore. Or something more "just weird" and national as wikipedia reports.

I replaced my surge protector and the issues seems to have disappeared. The console is also running cooler. I read that could be the cause but didn't believe it.

At my first Divine Beast, gotta go back up the mountain to get just a few more shock arrows... I don't wanna do it... that thing irritates me.

That Lynel was what finally taught me how to backflip/flurry strike properly. The shrine where it teaches you before was useless. Also if you can peg him in the eyes with an arrow and stun him, jump on his back the same as with horses and you can just wail away at him until your stamina runs out.

That said fuck those things.

Teba is bad ass as are the Rito as a whole. However
I'm kinda glad that pompous ass is dead...

Ending fight and ending spoilers:
Next-to-requiring perfect guards to kill Ganon isn't fair to those who can't do them reliably. There should have been another method of getting his "shield" down like there was for the fire boss or the thunder boss. Perfect guarding the laser is not an easy thing by a long shot. Given that the ONLY other way to do it (that I've seen online, and did once myself) is Urbosa's Fury, that's just nuts. Perfect parry is something that @Dirona didn't even know EXISTED (she forgot that she did the training shrine in Kakariko because it was so long ago) and given the number of tough mobs with two-handers that it seems "iffy" to use it with (Lynels) it doesn't seem reasonable to me to require it against the end boss when Perfect Dodge was your "go-to" against mobs like that the whole rest of the game. They should have allowed a perfect dodge/flurry strike when dodging something else to have a brief "shields down" moment or SOMETHING else (like ancient arrow to the eye) to bring the shield down. Or maybe when he throws the spear at you, you can pick it up and throw it back to penetrate the shield! That would have been good. Bad boss design there IMO making it so non-obvious what to do.

Beast Ganon was fine, though non-challenging IMO. My biggest enemy in that sequence was the trees. I think they're there only to screw up your horse.

And for the ending yourself when you've won... WTH? After a massively expansive game, you get an ending that is just kinda... you're done? That's IT??? I know most of the game should be about the game not the ending, however, MORE!!! It's just you and Zelda on a cliff saying about how you have to rebuild now. And... nothing. They could EASILY have had the game continue after that point, rather than "warping" you back to the moment before killing Ganon, and leave Zelda in the game as a consultant, source of additional "rebuilding" quests, etc. But they didn't do that, and thus the ending feels kinda "OK... all that for not a lot?" Even a summary of what's happening (based on quest flags) to the various parts of Hyrule would be great. Celebrations in Tarry Town, Kakariko, or wherever, ala A Link to the Past, and/or OOT.

Taking the idea further of Zelda as a consultant, a great path to go down would have been "cleansing" the land. One tower region at a time, have quests to permanently disable the Blood Moon for that area. So once you've cleared the monsters, they're gone. And/or rebuilding quests (especially for the castle & surrounding areas) would have worked. Making it clear that a hero is still useful after Ganon is dead.

I still enjoyed (and am still enjoying) the game, but still, not nearly as strong an ending and/or postlude as the game deserves.
Still, extremely fun game. Don't let my previous comments put you off if you're not playing it yet. GET THIS GAME.

Ending fight and ending spoilers:
Next-to-requiring perfect guards to kill Ganon isn't fair to those who can't do them reliably. There should have been another method of getting his "shield" down like there was for the fire boss or the thunder boss. Perfect guarding the laser is not an easy thing by a long shot. Given that the ONLY other way to do it (that I've seen online, and did once myself) is Urbosa's Fury, that's just nuts. Perfect parry is something that @Dirona didn't even know EXISTED (she forgot that she did the training shrine in Kakariko because it was so long ago) and given the number of tough mobs with two-handers that it seems "iffy" to use it with (Lynels) it doesn't seem reasonable to me to require it against the end boss when Perfect Dodge was your "go-to" against mobs like that the whole rest of the game. They should have allowed a perfect dodge/flurry strike when dodging something else to have a brief "shields down" moment or SOMETHING else (like ancient arrow to the eye) to bring the shield down. Or maybe when he throws the spear at you, you can pick it up and throw it back to penetrate the shield! That would have been good. Bad boss design there IMO making it so non-obvious what to do.

Beast Ganon was fine, though non-challenging IMO. My biggest enemy in that sequence was the trees. I think they're there only to screw up your horse.

And for the ending yourself when you've won... WTH? After a massively expansive game, you get an ending that is just kinda... you're done? That's IT??? I know most of the game should be about the game not the ending, however, MORE!!! It's just you and Zelda on a cliff saying about how you have to rebuild now. And... nothing. They could EASILY have had the game continue after that point, rather than "warping" you back to the moment before killing Ganon, and leave Zelda in the game as a consultant, source of additional "rebuilding" quests, etc. But they didn't do that, and thus the ending feels kinda "OK... all that for not a lot?" Even a summary of what's happening (based on quest flags) to the various parts of Hyrule would be great. Celebrations in Tarry Town, Kakariko, or wherever, ala A Link to the Past, and/or OOT.

Taking the idea further of Zelda as a consultant, a great path to go down would have been "cleansing" the land. One tower region at a time, have quests to permanently disable the Blood Moon for that area. So once you've cleared the monsters, they're gone. And/or rebuilding quests (especially for the castle & surrounding areas) would have worked. Making it clear that a hero is still useful after Ganon is dead.

I still enjoyed (and am still enjoying) the game, but still, not nearly as strong an ending and/or postlude as the game deserves.
Still, extremely fun game. Don't let my previous comments put you off if you're not playing it yet. GET THIS GAME.
There's a tiny little bit extra after the credits if you get all the memory spots, but I agree that the ending was lackluster

There's a tiny little bit extra after the credits if you get all the memory spots, but I agree that the ending was lackluster
I did get all the memories. Can you please be more specific for what you mean? Keep it in spoilers though of course.

Also, I'm assuming there's no way to photograph the "blights" if you forgot to the first time you killed them?

I did get all the memories. Can you please be more specific for what you mean? Keep it in spoilers though of course.

Also, I'm assuming there's no way to photograph the "blights" if you forgot to the first time you killed them?
Ahh, needed to reread that slower, BUT that part on the cliff? You only get that if you get all the memories. So even getting the extras is lackluster.

I'm still only a quarter through this due to reasons. I even played for three hours this weekend and all I had to show for it was four orbs and some arrows I pilfered from bokoblins.

So, most of the first set of DLC came out a week or two ago, and I just bought it and have tried it out a little. I've beaten the main game on normal and figured I could finish exploring on Master Mode if I decide to stick with it. It's definitely hard mode alright, all enemies have been upgraded to the next step (red to blue to black), with some of the mini-bosses added to new areas (like a Lynel in the middle of the Great Plateau, whew). And on top of that, all enemies will regen health over time if you stop damaging them. While the stronger attacks mean that every fight can turn badly really fast, the enemies all having more health means the early weapons you have start breaking really fast. On the plus side, there are extra treasure chests with some nice gear that help make up for that.

At my first Divine Beast, gotta go back up the mountain to get just a few more shock arrows... I don't wanna do it... that thing irritates me.

Easy-mode for this. Buy an ancient arrow. Shoot Senior Lynel, and watch him vanish -leaving you to pick up those sweet, sweet shock arrows.

Easy-mode for this. Buy an ancient arrow. Shoot Senior Lynel, and watch him vanish -leaving you to pick up those sweet, sweet shock arrows.
If you're at that early point in the game, even stationary Guardians are considered "yikes!" then. So even getting to the ancient tech lab is not necessarily the easiest thing.

Later on, obviously not, but you have to remember how damned DANGEROUS the game was early-on.

On my first playthrough, I didn't even know ancient arrows were a thing at the time, since the Zora beast was the first one I did, what with it being the closest beast to Impa and all. Little did I know that was the hardest one.

On my first playthrough, I didn't even know ancient arrows were a thing at the time, since the Zora beast was the first one I did, what with it being the closest beast to Impa and all. Little did I know that was the hardest one.
I wouldn't agree with that. I'd say the Camel/Desert/Thunder one was harder. I didn't have any problems dealing with the ice from the zora one, but if you had problems targeting the crap it was sending, I can see it being rough.

Then again, the Death Mountain one I basically "zapped" most of the way through via master sword beam, and the air one I didn't have any massive problems. But the "use spikes to lightning the guy" mechanic on the thunder one sucked IMO.