Your ideal game

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be your ideal game?

I would love a wild west style mmo. Something similar to Eve, in that it would be a sandbox style mmo. A bit more PVE would be nice though. I think it could have the potential for beautiful lanscapes, with huge opportunities to for great roleplaying. You could work at living a simple life hunting and trapping in wild and undeveloped land, or work for a decadent life as a banker or railroad developer.

I would love an RPG like medieval/fantasy town management simulation with combat that can be played in the 3rd person or directly controlled. A bit like Mount and Blade and being able to be a "mayor" of your town and watching it grow in the way you specify it. Solid management and hiring guards, setting defenses against random orc raids or goblin pillagers or neighbors conflicting with you. You can hire mercs as well and maybe even train certain types of "monsters" to protect your resources such as peasants and workers who go about their days and the game having night/day giving you more random possibilities. In game quests. Experience points. Online option? Nah.

A superhero game with a separate IP from the comics. Have a big city to take care of, upgradeable powers, etc. Come to think of it, Infamous mostly falls under that but you don't really feel like a superhero. More like a force of nature that does what he wants and blows up stuff. Not much in the way of rescuing people.

Take, for example, a potential Superman game. You can fly around the city, free roam style, and have random events that pop up where you can save people. Be rewarded, of course, by saving so many people (trophies, upgrades, costumes). But make sure it's a lot of different things so it's not rescuing some kid's balloon every five seconds in the Spider-Man 2 game. Burning building, cat in a tree, bank robbery, someone falling, mugger, etc. Make saving people as fun as beating up bad guys. No more of this "choose good or evil" crap. Let the players be a superhero, already. Hell, Arkham Asylum didn't need a good or bad choice, did it? No, because you got to play goddamn BATMAN.

Personally - and I've said this a few times - I'd love to have a free-roaming city superhero game done with a remake of an obscure PC game I loved playing: Noctropolis. Great setting, cool character, campy villains. Love it. In the game, there were times where you were poisoned or bleeding out from a battle. You had to rush back to your layer to swim in your pool of mystical dark liquid to heal yourself. Imagine doing that in a big, free roaming city where you don't just click on where you need to go, but literally have to beat the timer while your character struggles to stay alive.

I would love an RPG like medieval/fantasy town management simulation with combat that can be played in the 3rd person or directly controlled. A bit like Mount and Blade and being able to be a "mayor" of your town and watching it grow in the way you specify it. Solid management and hiring guards, setting defenses against random orc raids or goblin pillagers or neighbors conflicting with you. You can hire mercs as well and maybe even train certain types of "monsters" to protect your resources such as peasants and workers who go about their days and the game having night/day giving you more random possibilities. In game quests. Experience points. Online option? Nah.
I thought they made Fable 3.

J

Jiarn

A L4D/Resident Evil style FPS involving zombies in a 20s-40s era setting.

J

Jiarn

Virtual Reality Strip Poker with Victoria Secret Models. With full motion sensors and sensory connectors.

Dave

Staff member
Virtual Reality Strip Poker with Victoria Secret Models. With full motion sensors and sensory connectors.
You wouldn't need the models. In VR you could be playing poker with whomever you want. Just make sure Rimmer is not there with you.

How about a LAN/TCP IP option for small groups of friends?

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :mad:
I don't mind it. I just don't think they need to dedicate in this type of game an online option and focus on the single player experience. COOP is always welcomed though.

I don't mind it. I just don't think they need to dedicate in this type of game an online option and focus on the single player experience. COOP is always welcomed though.
I should have been more clear... but I meant the LAN option for a co-op experience. Your buddies can be given various responsibilities within your town which would normally be AI controlled (stuff like Captain of the watch, blacksmith, peon, latrine digger, etc.) Seriously... your game sounds awesome (we seem to have similar likes for gaming related stuff).

Then you Sir have good tastes!

Sadly, these type of games are few and far between, I'm looking forward to the next Mount and Blade (Fire & Sword) due in a few months but other than that, this genre isn't all that popular. I miss the times where games had great content with lots of replay value instead of ye another shitty 3rd person shooter with the newest gimmick or another shitty MMO. A mix of The Guild 2 and Mount and Blade plz.

My original idea : I would love an RPG like medieval/fantasy town management simulation with combat that can be played in the 3rd person or directly controlled. A bit like Mount and Blade and being able to be a "mayor" of your town and watching it grow in the way you specify it. Solid management and hiring guards, setting defenses against random orc raids or goblin pillagers or neighbors conflicting with you. You can hire mercs as well and maybe even train certain types of "monsters" to protect your resources such as peasants and workers who go about their days and the game having night/day giving you more random possibilities. In game quests. Experience points. Online option? Nah.

How it would run : You can either play in a 3rd person mode with an overhead view of your "selected" people to follow while managing your town's resources and needs while the game runs day/night/seasons and other things affect things in your day to day in your kingdom. Your AI citizens go about their duties and things happen that "require" things to be done to improve the city's well being in any sense of the word. You can control directly some characters going from the baker if you'd like, to a merc who've hired to go about his patrol. You assign guards at gates and builders to walls or any new town projects that will take a significant amount of time (none of that, I built a massive tower in 3 hours in game time). Things randomly happen, a clan of goblin start living nearby and see that your farms are too loosely guarded and pillage some of your lifestock. Thieves take hold of certain parts of your city while you guards were too incomptent/busy to prevent this. There can be inter-city fueds, possibly between city barons (mayors)... etc. A huge accent to the randomness. Combat is more than hack and slash, I'd like a bit of the mount and blade mechanics yo get incorporated with horses, archers and the ability to yourself fight just like in mount and blade.

It's a huge project, for sure but this would be... my IDEAL game.

Dave

Staff member
I like open-ended HUGE worlds like Daggerfall which are randomly generated. I fracking LOVED Daggerfall and if they'd have cleaned up some of the mechanics it would have been perfect.

Necronic

Staff member
Ah daggerfall, a young man's introduction to the fairer sex and all that lies beneath her clothing. Great game (even if it was a bug laden mess.)

But yeah I second Jay, Mount and Blade is on the path to my ideal game, just needs more polishing. I also second his sentiment about missing the days of ridiculous replay value (JA2, MOO2, etc.)

C

Chibibar

My ideal MMO?
- must have crafting system. The system will allow users to "invent" new items via current components. The system will have basic components, the end user can "attach" components together (limited by housing and such) to create a product. These products can have generic look or custom look depending on the user. (template can be found in the world)
- resources are "limit" in terms by time. If a group of players exhaust a type of mineral, it will take time to "regrow" back into the world. I figure it is not a good idea to have a finite resources. I also believe unlimited resources might pose a problem also.
- Market system - I do like EVE style market system. Each item and personal inventions/creation can be mass produce via magic or science. These should be limited to resource available or difficulty.
- Politic - the world should have a NPC "home base" where players can start, but all the other towns may start with NPC but later can be voted/taken over by group of PC (generally larger one) and rule the city. Group of PCs can even built new cities in pre-dispose location. These cities will be under constant attack by other players or NPC.
- The character should have open skill system (like EVE) a set of skills may give a person "class" which may give extra bonus, but a person can have jack of all trade. Each "class" may have positive and negatives and should be restricted to the negative. I.E. A person who is a fighter get bonus in armor. A spell caster cannot wear armor. A character can pick up spellcasting skills and fighting class, but cannot wear armor. (This is a rough idea. A character may pick up another skill that can wear certain armor but with some spellcasting penalties like higher chance of failure and can be reduce via higher skills)
- Quest - There should be a robust quest system and allow player quest system (using a formula) so if a player wants X items, they can give certain reward (formula base so they can't get a bunch of rare items for 1 gp reward etc) Also players should also allow to be villians like opening a lair for players to adventure (this is a bit more complex but I have an idea in mind)
- open world. The world should be expandable. More lands and possible other planets. This can be done with almost any gaming system.

I like Jay's ideas for a game... add in completely randomly generated worlds, cities and creatures (like in Dwarf Fortress) and I'm sold. Also some solid AI... a game like that needs enemies that aren't total morons.

I liked Dwarf fortress but I require some form of graphics, my eyes tend to bleed out. They don't need to be excellent. Just.... not that.

Battlefield kinda took on my idea for a while.

It's a FPS shooter, however certain components are 3rd person overhead.

You can run, jump, shoot if you want but if you're more the RTS kind of guy, you can basically play resource gathering at the same time, using the players down below as protectors for your harvesters. Essentially, the overlord becomes the leader, doling out territory, orders and upgrades to the foot troops, issuing strategy and noting chokepoints and providing resources to make the mission easier. Co-op mode would be the default model however online would definitely be feasible.

Make the maps destructible by the troops if the overlord has provided tools to do so. Tunnelling, shortcuts, etc. all would be feasible given the proper combination of skill from the foot soldiers and resource gathering/skill tree decisions from the overlord.

A 'fireteam', as it were, would also have a sustained map or homebase as well that they could continue to improve, develop and strengthen throughout their evolution. Part of the competition between fireteams would be putting the two bases on opposite sides of a randomly generated map and letting them fight to the death - either through deathmatch kill counts or objectives like CTF, Demolition, Search and Destroy, etc.

J

Jiarn

Dwarf Fortress with a Minecraft style world? That'd be crazy amazing.

As for the MMO crafting system, my brother's idea has always been my favorite. Full crafting system ala Ultima Online, with rare/epic gear coming from killin monsters and using their rewards as upgrades. (Dragon's teeth for sword ridges, Beholder Eyes for staff tops, etc)

figmentPez

Staff member
As for the MMO crafting system, my brother's idea has always been my favorite. Full crafting system ala Ultima Online, with rare/epic gear coming from killin monsters and using their rewards as upgrades. (Dragon's teeth for sword ridges, Beholder Eyes for staff tops, etc)
Doesn't Monster Hunter do something like that with it's crafting?

Status
Not open for further replies.