Your "Always Watch" Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the LoTR movies, but I would never just plop down on the couch and throw them in the DVD player cause I'm bored.
Yep, complete agreement. I love the movies, but they take too much investment on my part to watch them. They're almost too epic to just play as background noise, or watch casually.

GasBandit

Staff member
There was a period of about 5 years where I put on The Hunt for Red October every night when I went to bed. Helped me sleep.

LOTR seems like a series that I would play in the background while painting or playing Diablo if I owned 'em on DVD.

See, Spirited Away is one I can't have playing in the background. That's a full-on sit-my-ass-down-and-pay-attention movie for me.

Man I don't care what anyone says about IT, it was one of the first horror movies my dad, brother and I watched together and Tim Curry is fucking amazing in it. This laugh, man.

Both of those were poor adaptations, mostly because they were shackled by the constraints of being made for TV movies. Granted, the Langoliers was just a terrible concept to begin with, but not everything a writer puts out is going to be gold.

Both of those were poor adaptations, mostly because they were shackled by the constraints of being made for TV movies. Granted, the Langoliers was just a terrible concept to begin with, but not everything a writer puts out is going to be gold.
Oh, I know it's not great, my dad loves Stephen King. But it's more one of those warm fuzzies movies because of the ties it has to me growing up.

Has there been a single good Steven King adaption? The Green Mile was good, but that was a single story out of an anthology that they stretched into a movie. Kingdom Hospital was fun but it was an adaption of a Dutch TV series. IT and Langoliers are just TERRIBLE.

Really, Shawshank is really the only thing that comes close to being good and at least it's had some lasting pop culture impact.

Um...

Carrie, The Shining, Christine, Cujo, Stand By Me, Misery, Delores Claiborne....

Nope, no cultural impact from those movies.

See, I forgot about a bunch of those. Also, Delores Claiborne? I don't think I've ever heard of that one. What's it about?

It's about a nurse who may or may not have killed the person she was hired to care for. It's not so much a whodunit as a didshedoit.

I highly recommend it, it's great at building tension and has one of my favorite lines of all time.

"Sometimes, Dolores, an accident can be an unhappy woman's best friend."

It stars Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kathy Bates.

Stephen King may have problems wrapping up his storylines sometimes, but he sure as hell knows how to write believable characters.

I'm pretty sure this movie is on Netflix: Watch it Now.

People tend to think only of horror movies when they think Stephen King, but his non-horror movies have been some of his best. As long as he doesn't write the screenplay.

I have three movies that I can almost always throw on, either pay rapt attention or have on in the background, and will always put me in a good mood:Batman: The Movie, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie, and Purple Rain.

Has there been a single good Steven King adaption? The Green Mile was good, but that was a single story out of an anthology that they stretched into a movie.
Actually, it was a serialized novel. That weighed in at over 600 pages once it was finished. You're thinking of Shawshank.

Cajungal

Staff member
I can watch Sister Act any time. I think it has something to do with all the good memories attached to it. My sister and I didn't always get along as kids, but we both loooved that movie.

Others... Labyrinth and Alien. There are more, but I'll leave it at that for now

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, this is funny. When I was in mexico on our graduation trip, it seemed like no matter when we turned on the TV, Silver Streak (the old Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor movie) was on.

"I just hope we don't run into any muslims."

Oh, this is funny. When I was in mexico on our graduation trip, it seemed like no matter when we turned on the TV, Silver Bullet (the old Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor movie) was on.

"I just hope we don't run into any muslims."
You mean Silver Streak, right? I meant to include that one in my list, but took it out when I realized it wasn't a Mel Brooks movie (I meant to add it back in separately but never did). To this day I have never seen the whole thing in one sitting.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You mean Silver Streak, right? I meant to include that one in my list, but took it out when I realized it wasn't a Mel Brooks movie (I meant to add it back in separately but never did). To this day I have never seen the whole thing in one sitting.

--Patrick
Whoops, yes, I meant silver streak.

Frank Capra.

Pretty much any black and white Jimmy Stewart/Cary Grant screwball comedy. When I'm feeling down, they cheer me up.

fade

Staff member
I honestly can't think of ANY that fall under this description. Maybe Pulp Fiction or Star Wars. But even those get old after a while. Now books, on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.