Your "Always Watch" Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've talked about favourite movies and such, but this is a little different. I was talking with a friend yesterday who said that Boondock Saints is a movie she puts in when she doesn't know what she wants to watch. It's the sort of movie she could sit down and watch at any time, regardless of anything.

Now, I've mentioned some of my favourite movies before: Shawshank Redemption, What Dreams May Come, Pan's Labyrinth. All amazing movies, but not ones I'd sit down and watch at any given moment. I have to be in a certain mood to watch Pan's or Shawshank. Dreams makes me bawl my eyes out every time. So, for example, I'm sure there are a number of people who have Schindler's List as their number one favourite movie. But I doubt it's something they'd sit down and watch at the drop of a hat.

But then there are movies that no matter what, if someone were to ask if I wanted to watch it, my answer would always be yes. For me, they're usually pretty light-hearted, fun movies. The kind of movies that almost always put me in a good mood. Here's some of mine. What are some of yours?

Bolt
Back to the Future
The Iron Giant (also in my top ten faves)
Megamind
Stranger Than Fiction (ditto in top ten)
Dawn of the Dead (remake, oddly enough)
The Muppets (last year's hit)

S

Soliloquy

This is actually a really interesting question. I love Children of Men, but I rarely ever watch it.

Here's the ones I can think of on the top of my head?

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Sin City
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
(And Cowboy Bebop if you count an anime series)

Addams Family / Values
Monty Python (any of them, really, Flying Circus too)
Aladdin
Lion King
Beetlejuice
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

If I went through my movies I could probably add a couple more.

Addams Family / Values
Monty Python (any of them, really, Flying Circus too)
Aladdin
Lion King
Beetlejuice
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

If I went through my movies I could probably add a couple more.
Oh man, the Adams Family movies.

I wouldn't call them favorite movies or anything, but if they're on tv, they're getting watched.

I love the first one. The second is pretty good too. They couldn't have cast anyone in the Family better than they did for the first two movies.

Starship Troopers. Yes, I'm aware it's utter trash and not at all faithful to the book.
Lion King.
Pirates of the Caribbean (just the first one, though).
Star Wars - the original three...Though, to be fair, I'd probably almost always say yes to Revenge of the Sith too.

Hmm, adn a few of those already mentioned....sort of, but I'd prefer another one. I'd probably alway say yes to Mulan or Iron Man, too.

I think the list of movies I wouldn't watch if they were put in front of me would be shorter.

Movies I'll actively watch repeatedly are:

Labyrinth (My favorite movie, and also one you can watch in pretty much any mood)
Clue
The Goonies
Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney)
Not Another Teen Movie (Rewatched it the other day, and I completely forgot that Chris Evans plays the male lead.)
Any of the Evening with Kevin Smiths (actually, for that matter, any of Kevin Smith's films)
Ghostbusters 1 and 2 (If either of them are on the TV, regardless of where in the movie it is, I will sit down and watch the rest of it)
Jeffrey

Transformers: The Movie (1986)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
Star Wars OT
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Iron Man
The Rocketeer
The Fugitive (At least, whenever I see on it, I watch it.)
The Incredibles
Maybe Scott Pilgrim, haven't seen it enough to be sure

Goonies tends to be a favourite among a lot of people. Including many of my nerdly friends.

...and I'm actually ashamed to say I don't think I've ever sat down and watched it. I remember catching it on TV sometimes when I was a kid, but it was usually the last 20 minutes or less.

For sure, without fail if it's on TV:
5th element
Red Dawn
Night of the living dead

Usually:
Shawshank redemption
goodfellas
Godfather
First matrix

Trying to come up with a handful that haven't already been mentioned.
Ladyhawke
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original)
Mel Brooks Extravaganza (YF, BS, SB, don't care, I'll watch 'em all)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
36th Chamber of Shaolin/Master Killer
The Dark Crystal

--Patrick

S

Soliloquy

I... never saw The Goonies until I was 18. By that time, I had grown into a cynical young man, and so the lack of nostalgia rendered me incapable of enjoying it.

Star Wars - even the prequels from time to time.
Raising Arizona - a long time personal top 10 movie for me.
Oh Brother Where Art Thou - I watched this movie so much when I first bought it on DVD that my Dad thought I was trying to remember every line.
Princess Bride - just fun whimsy.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Sting
Cool Hand Luke
12 Angry Men
Of Mice and Men
Ghostbusters
Star Wars
Caddy Shack
Unforgiven
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Speed
Conan the Barbarian
Robot Jox
Enter the Dragon

For the record, Starship Troopers isn't trash, it's a great movie.

For mine -

Boogie Nights
Stop Making Sense
Dirty Work
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Talledega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby

Wow, there's a lot more here than I would have thought, so I'll spoiler to save space. This list also includes any movie that I can't stop watching if I happen across it while scanning the cable channels. Man, I gotta watch some movies when I get home.

Hackers
Elizabethtown
Crocodile Dundee 1 & 2
In Harm's Way
Major League 1, 2, & 3
Bad Boys 1 & 2*
*Hot Fuzz
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Gone in 60 Seconds
Boondock Saints
Bridge on the River Kwai
Return to Snowy River
Disney's The Three Musketeers (the live action one with Charlie Sheen)
Smokin' Aces
Blazing Saddles
Red Dawn
Caddy Shack
Fired Up!
McLintock!
Parent Trap (the original one, starring Hayley Mills as both girls)
Operation Petticoat
Iron Eagle
Sweet Home Alabama
Top Gun
Days of Thunder
Smokey and the Bandit
Canonball Run
Any of the Frankie and Annette movies
State Fair
The Music Man
Uncle Buck
The Great Outdoors
Heavy Weights
Mighty Ducks 1, 2, & 3
Scream 1, 2, & 3
PCU
Accepted
American Pie 1, 2, & 3

*A couple years ago I got caught in a nasty (but funny) loop, where I watched Hot Fuzz and it reminded me of Bad Boys 2, so I watched BB2 and it reminded me of Hot Fuzz, and just kept repeating.

(Gared, that funny tag is for the Bad Boys/Hot Fuzz back-and-forth. Heh heh!)

With all due respect, Charlie, I don't if I'd go as far as to call Starship Troopers a great movie. A really fun, better-than-it-deserves-to-be action flick, but I wouldn't call it "great." That said, it's very likely on my list, too.

Also, since only Reverent-one mentioned it so far: The Rocketeer. Man, I gotta sit down and watch that again sometime.

Starship Troopers (which was not a great movie, just a fun one)
LOTR
Iron Man
Fast Five (definitely a not-good-but-fun movie)
Willow
X-2

I'm really surprised how many people are listing the LOTR series. I have to make a conscious effort to make time for those films. I don't think I've ever just watched them out of the blue.

The LOTR movies are overrated, I saw them once, bought the DVDs, and have never watched them again. I think I just liked the idea of owning them more than the reality :eek:

I love the LoTR movies, but I would never just plop down on the couch and throw them in the DVD player cause I'm bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.