Export thread

xkcd makes me sad

evilmike

evilmike

Today's xkcd

"On January 26th, 2274 Mars days into the mission, NASA declared Spirit a 'stationary research station', expected to stay operational for several more months until the dust buildup on its solar panels forces a final shutdown."

Dave

Dave

2 Things:

1) What was the flavor text?
2) My brother in law is a rocket scientist for NASA who works at JPL. He worked on this little guy.

2a) Another note. I got better grades than him in the same classes at the same university. Fuck yeah!

evilmike

evilmike

2 Things:

1) What was the flavor text?
2) My brother in law is a rocket scientist for NASA who works at JPL. He worked on this little guy.

2a) Another note. I got better grades than him in the same classes at the same university. Fuck yeah!
1) Added. Mind you, it makes the comic even more sad.
2) He is awesome then.
2a) You are also awesome, just in a slightly different, non-Mars way. (Great, now I'm going to be talking like T-rex for the rest of the day.)

Fun Size

Fun Size

I came in here to see Dave disapprove of the comic because it implies that robots can have emotions. I am now disappointed.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

xkcd makes me sad, too.

Dusty668

He is a good robot.

Hylian

Hylian

Baerdog

Baerdog

I was a student worker with the Mars Space Flight Facility at Arizona State University a couple years back and some of our people worked with Spirit and Odyssey. Those are good bots and it's amazing how much we've been able to learn from them. I should head over that way next week and give them my condolences.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

God, that is depressing.

but for added sadnness:

Gusto

Gusto

Interesting.

The robots in xkcd as designed to make us sad, whereas the robots in Achewood are designed to make us CHUCKLE.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Interesting.

The robots in xkcd as designed to make us sad, whereas the robots in Achewood are designed to make us CHUCKLE.
Gusto, what is the saddest thing?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Simulated Comic Product was also good for depressing comics, and robot comics, and sometimes both at once.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Interesting.

Gusto, what is the saddest thing?[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're ready, Boner?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Interesting.

Are you sure you're ready, Boner?[/QUOTE]

y-yes.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I HAVE KNOWN SINCE I WAS TWELVE

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Interesting.

y-yes.[/QUOTE]

Boner, Boner, Boner. The saddest thing is a retarded man promising a broken egg that it will still be a chicken someday, and that they'll laugh and play together in a field when it gets better.

Gusto

Gusto

Wow! You're working some pretty rough chuckles these days, Halforums!

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

In true Halforums style, this thread is now about its polar opposite.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Gusto, what is the saddest thing?

y-yes.[/QUOTE]

Boner, Boner, Boner. The saddest thing is a retarded man promising a broken egg that it will still be a chicken someday, and that they'll laugh and play together in a field when it gets better.[/QUOTE]

No!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

In original state, was word goink around that thread was hung like cap of Chapstick tube. We cared to use this time to refuse allegations.

Gusto

Gusto

I'M TRYING TO GET INSIDE YOUR HEAD, YOU KNOW?

ElJuski

ElJuski

do you think its rad that you have alcoholism, goose?

Gusto

Gusto

Man Juice you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger

Oh hold on for a second would you please

I am about to land on the moon and must concentrate

@Li3n

@Li3n

What kind of arseholes work at NASA, telling the poor robot that he's going to come back from an obvious one way trip...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Man Juice you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger

Oh hold on for a second would you please

I am about to land on the moon and must concentrate
[/QUOTE]

Oh, he's all high and mighty now that he's on the moon! Talkin' down my musical tastes!

ElJuski

ElJuski

I am from... HISTORY!

Cajungal

Cajungal

D'aw...

Gusto

Gusto

45 degrees!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

That's Todd. I know him.

I know Todd.

Gusto

Gusto

Okay it looks like I'm drivin' a golf cart

I understand this information

That's cool that's cool

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I would like to open a company that sells cutting boards

But the thing that is special about my cutting boards

Is that they do not hold DNA evidence

ElJuski

ElJuski

It's Johnson and Johnson! No tears! It's all I use!

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

oh man what if this is a thing

PatrThom

PatrThom

Some day that thing will be the target of a manned mission. It will be made into a movie. Then it will show up in the Smithsonian.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I recently found what the launch patches for the two rover missions looked like. They are pretty amazing.

evilmike

evilmike

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm sure we'll recover the rover someday... it's just that we need to get to Mars first.

evilmike

evilmike

Here is a new mosaic panorama from Opportunity (via Space.com)

opportunity-rover-pancam.jpg

Dave

Dave

Are you the Thread Necromancer's alt?

(But that picture is seriously cool!)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Are you the Thread Necromancer's alt?

(But that picture is seriously cool!)

Your own fault for activating that Google thing that checks for "similar threads". It doesn't take into account how old a thread is. I bet if I ere to go and try to post "my baby Dave was just born", it'd even link back to your birthday, no problem.

evilmike

evilmike

Your own fault for activating that Google thing that checks for "similar threads". It doesn't take into account how old a thread is. I bet if I ere to go and try to post "my baby Dave was just born", it'd even link back to your birthday, no problem.
Personally, I blame NASA. It's their fault that there is a Mars rover still making news ~3000 days into its mission.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, they should take an example from cell phone makers. They used to last a couple of years, nowadays they last just months and they start falling apart :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I can count on one hand the number of cell phones I've had in the last decade.

Maybe people are a little harder on their cell phones than they should be...
Man, I've had so many cellphones in just the past couple of years, I've lost count.

Though, I sell the damn things. That could be a cause.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Where are you getting this months figure from, Bubble181? Most smartphones are now obsolete before the stage is clear from their announcement keynote. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can count on one hand the number of cell phones I've had in the last decade.
I'm on my second. Got my first in 1992. Had to retire it and get another one recently since analog was switched off in 2008.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

There is a new XBox 360 Kinect game that lets you simulate the landing of Curiosity (which is scheduled for August 6th). It's called "Mars Rover Landing", and it's free.

evilmike

evilmike

Frank

Frank

Fuck NASA is awesome. I felt today like I did glued to the tv when I was 14 and Sojourner landed.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So... is this rover going to get to come home?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No. But at least now it won't be alone.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wouldn't a quick cleaning of the solar panels make them no so dead?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think there is more wrong with the rovers than just a light dusting...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It would actually be interesting if they went back to the old rover and examined it's remains as a way to see how things are weathered on Mars. It would provide invaluable data they would need if they ever decided to try and put a manned mission on the surface of MArs.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Curiosity (in Gale Crater) will have a hell of a drive if it is going to reconnect with any previous mission!

I don't have any hard numbers*, but Spirit (the closest sibling) is probably about 1100-1200 miles away from Curiosity (estimated using the size of Gale Crater and Google's Mars map.) At a rate of 0.085 mph (roughly Curiosity's top speed), it would take Curiosity a little less than 1 and a half years just to get to Spirit, and that is assuming it can manage all of the terrain in the straight line between its location and Spirit (I doubt Curiosity would get out of the crater very easily!)

*all numbers are very rough estimates[DOUBLEPOST=1344355978][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think there is more wrong with the rovers than just a light dusting...
Opportunity is still going.

GasBandit

GasBandit

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Tres Generaciones

evilmike

evilmike

A few months before his death, Carl Sagan recorded a message for future explorers of Mars:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

A few months before his death, Carl Sagan recorded a message for future explorers of Mars:
I could listen to Carl Sagan talk about anything.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

you do realize that movie was mocking military fascism

GasBandit

GasBandit

you do realize that movie was mocking military fascism
You do realize it's a joke, right?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You do realize it's a joke, right?
You do realize it's Charlie, right?

bhamv3

bhamv3

That picture needs a final "Would you like to know more?" caption at the end.

Gusto

Gusto

YKWTD Rico.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You do realize it's Charlie, right?
Yeah, but I can't respond to EVERY post with "STFU Charlie."

..Can I?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, but I can't respond to EVERY post with "STFU Charlie."

..Can I?
STFU Ewok.

Works beautifully, really.

GasBandit

GasBandit

STFU Ewok.

Works beautifully, really.

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

Cajungal

Cajungal

Might not be a good idea to be on your phone in a room full of poo-mist anyway...

evilmike

evilmike

It looks like Curiosity is going to be a "good rover" just like its forebears. It is officially a mobile research station after having driven 15 feet.

"Tire Tracks on Mars"​

In other news, today would have been Ray Bradbury's 92nd birthday. That's why NASA did not officially announce the name of the landing site in the Gale crater until now. The site is officially designated "Bradbury Landing".

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It looks like Curiosity is going to be a "good rover" just like its forebears. It is officially a mobile research station after having driven 15 feet.

"Tire Tracks on Mars"​

In other news, today would have been Ray Bradbury's 92nd birthday. That's why NASA did not officially announce the name of the landing site in the Gale crater until now. The site is officially designated "Bradbury Landing".
Now that's really cool.

LittleSin

LittleSin

New xkcd is huge...and beautiful.

evilmike

evilmike

Wicked Glitch has a spoiler map for "click and drag"

They also have a mega-huge version here. (Not browser friendly, better to download.)

I must admit that I got through about a third of the content before deciding to look for a full view.

evilmike

evilmike

Found a zoomable version here.

evilmike

evilmike

An interesting picture sent from Curiosity -- scientists believe this to be a dried up stream bed.

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

Found on Bad Astronomy:
A transit of Phobos as viewed from the Opportunity Rover​

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh god. It's Mr. Popo!

evilmike

evilmike

I recently ran across a picture taken by Opportunity. I think it really gives you a sense of how much the rover has traveled:

The picture was taken 8 years ago.

Dave

Dave

xkcd may not be the best comic out there, but it does help learn things sometimes.

How long could you live swimming in a pool with radiated spent fuel rods at the bottom?

tegid

tegid

Almost all xkcd what-ifs are fantastic!

Just Me

Just Me

Oh so true!

Calleja

Calleja

what do you mean "almost"? Show me ONE that isn't! ONE!

Just Me

Just Me

I still laugh everytime I remember that little "For scale - For Gondor" in that one: http://what-if.xkcd.com/20/

Some of them are a bit too over my head (cost of pennies comes to mind http://what-if.xkcd.com/22/), too much numbers to get anything out of it (at least for someone as numerically challenged as me).

And once again there's lots of laugh and awesome in here http://what-if.xkcd.com/18/ just because "They'll shoot their eyes out" references.

bhamv3

bhamv3

The laser pointer one is probably my favorite.

"What if we tried more power?"

Gusto

Gusto

ElJuski Charlie Don't Surf

Don't hate me guys but.... now that Achewood's not really a thing anymore, I've been poking my head into xkcd now and then...[DOUBLEPOST=1358952408][/DOUBLEPOST]My favourite what-if is still the first one: pitcher throws baseball at 0.9c.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

ElJuski Charlie Don't Surf

Don't hate me guys but.... now that Achewood's not really a thing anymore, I've been poking my head into xkcd now and then...
dead to me

also: Gun Show, Hark A Vagrant

Gusto

Gusto

dead to me

also: Gun Show, Hark A Vagrant
GUN SHOW! I've been meaning to work through those archives.

Already into H!aV but it updates too infrequently for me to be in love with it or anything.

And if it's any consolation, I've reread all of Achewood more than I've read single comics from xkcd.

Chaz

xkcd may not be the best comic out there, but it does help learn things sometimes.

How long could you live swimming in a pool with radiated spent fuel rods at the bottom?

It would interest you to know that here at Penn State, we have an open core research fission reactor in a pool of water. There's no other shielding.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Imagine if you crossed Randall Munroe with Stephen Fry. He'd be the most interesting man ever.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It would interest you to know that here at Penn State, we have an open core research fission reactor in a pool of water. There's no other shielding.
um

Gusto

Gusto

Dave turned off guest posting again at my request. Shouldn't be a problem.

ElJuski

ElJuski

ewww xkcd

Gusto

Gusto

ewww xkcd
Hey guy.

I summoned you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hey guy.

I summoned you.
He's not your guy, buddy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

He's not your buddy, pal.
I'm not your pal, friend!

Calleja

Calleja

So we're not getting any more Chazguest posts? :(

ElJuski

ElJuski

Hey guy.

I summoned you.
I'm like a genie, except instead of magic, it's internet vanity.

Slightly more on topic, I haven't read any webcomics in a loooong time. They just don't cut it for me anymore.

Calleja

Calleja

I'm the same, barring the occasional one-day visit to the current Penny Arcade, webcomics are kinda like blogs to me.... something from years and years ago.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you're not reading SMBC, you're doing yourself a grand disservice.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Gun Show deals out ownage on a daily basis

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gun Show deals out ownage on a daily basis
More like on a tri-weekly basis, unfortunately.

Calleja

Calleja

I thought Gun Shows were evil and killed people

GasBandit

GasBandit

I thought Gun Shows were evil and killed people
Technically you could call that "dishing out ownage."

bhamv3

bhamv3

http://what-if.xkcd.com/30/

Remember to hover your mouse over the square for each celestial body.

figmentPez

figmentPez

http://what-if.xkcd.com/37/

Avatar: The Last Airbender reference FTW!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Thanks to today's What If, I found this. Proceeding to share it with the more chemistry minded of the family. Just mentioning dioxygen diflouride to my mom (retired med tech) got an instant "oh yeah!" from her and a round of lab stories of her own. :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Things you don't mess with on the periodic table:
Anything close to the NE & SW corners (materials with extreme electronegativity) excluding the noble gases.
Also, mercury.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm kind of amazed that the "Time" comic is still in progress. I've been checking in on it every now and then, and I have no idea where he's going with this.

tegid

tegid

You may be interested in something like this then...

http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/

I hope it doesn't detract from the charm of the comic. (I recommend clicking a few times on 'slower' or using the arrow buttons to control it manually)

figmentPez

figmentPez

You may be interested in something like this then...

I hope it doesn't detract from the charm of the comic. (I recommend clicking a few times on 'slower' or using the arrow buttons to control it manually)
That's really cool. I missed a lot.

It still only goes up to the present, though, so it doesn't have any spoilers.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Things you don't mess with on the periodic table:
Anything close to the NE & SW corners (materials with extreme electronegativity) excluding the noble gases.
Also, mercury.

--Patrick
True story: When I was a teenager, I once accidentally shattered a mercury thermometer, and the liquid mercury got all over my desk. I had no idea what to do with it, so I used a pen to push the individual "droplets" of mercury into my trash can, which was then bagged up and tossed away. However, in the process, both me and my sisters touched the mercury with our bare hands.

Made me nervous for a while, but so far we seem to be okay.

I wonder if the trash was sent to an incinerator though. That would not be good.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

True story: When I was a teenager, I once accidentally shattered a mercury thermometer, and the liquid mercury got all over my desk. I had no idea what to do with it, so I used a pen to push the individual "droplets" of mercury into my trash can, which was then bagged up and tossed away. However, in the process, both me and my sisters touched the mercury with our bare hands.

Made me nervous for a while, but so far we seem to be okay.

I wonder if the trash was sent to an incinerator though. That would not be good.
The danger of elemental mercury is more in its propensity to release mercury vapor (though touching it still isn't a good idea.)

The mercury in the previous story was a specific mercury compound that is much, much, much more toxic.

fade

fade

If you're not reading SMBC, you're doing yourself a grand disservice.
Well, sometimes. He's got like 3 jokes. I can almost hear him log into Wikipedia sometimes to get new science-speak to wrap around the same tired skeletons.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Well, sometimes. He's got like 3 jokes. I can almost hear him log into Wikipedia sometimes to get new science-speak to wrap around the same tired skeletons.
Let's see...
1) I'm more insufferably pretentious than you (variation: same joke, but with a kid).
2) R&D is run by marketing and focus groups to absurd ends that destroys civilization.
3) Graph joke.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Philistines.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Let's see...
1) I'm more insufferably pretentious than you (variation: same joke, but with a kid).
2) R&D is run by marketing and focus groups to absurd ends that destroys civilization.
3) Graph joke.
You forgot: God is a hilariously backward belief, let me show my ignorance of theology.

PatrThom

PatrThom

True story: When I was a teenager, I once accidentally shattered a mercury thermometer, and the liquid mercury got all over my desk.
When I was a teenager, I acquired several ounces of elemental mercury (including a small sample from my dentist). I still have them (and a mercury oral thermometer) as part of my collection of things-I-probably-shouldn't-possess.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

And now xkcd has gotten me addicted to Geoguessr. It's like you wake up in a stretch of road in the middle of nowhere after a night of drinking, and have to figure out where the hell you are.

Just now I saw cornfields and guessed Iowa. Turned out to be Romania.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And now xkcd has gotten me addicted to Geoguessr. It's like you wake up in a stretch of road in the middle of nowhere after a night of drinking, and have to figure out where the hell you are.

Overall, I did pretty well, I would have done even better had the map to click on been bigger.
http://tinyurl.com/q7flsal

bhamv3

bhamv3

Overall, I did pretty well, I would have done even better had the map to click on been bigger.
http://tinyurl.com/q7flsal
You know you can zoom in on it, right?

Gared

Gared

Not too shabby... aside from that Russian guess.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

24103 pts

http://tinyurl.com/ldjuhl7

only was way off for my first guess, before I realized you could explore around a little.

second try: 22059points
http://tinyurl.com/lamfrhg

I couldn't figure out the Russian one. Nothing in Cyrillic close by was searchable, so I made a 3000km off WAG. The one in Taiwan, I was especially proud of. I drove around until I found a phone number on a street sign in Roman characters, did a WHOIS search on the number, and got the address. :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

15885, not bad for not realizing you can zoom the map on my first guess, and then being in a rush for the others.

grub

grub

25326 it helped that I used to live near the last one

GasBandit

GasBandit

On a related note, it's interesting how similar east Australia is to central Texas.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Damn, I got one within 11 meters... but the next one in the set was so blurry that I spent an hour on it and only ever was able to read one street sign.. had to give up and get work done.

Frank

Frank

I got one I thought looked like any rural road in Alberta. Turned out it was it a rural road in Saskatchewan.

Gared

Gared

Second time through was a little bit too easy. Or maybe I'm just more awake this afternoon.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Scored 32383. Couple of them were hard.

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

What are we looking at, exactly? --Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

It's the launch of Opportunity, 10 years ago today. I wish I could claim the photo credit (which is lifted from Wikipedia), but they never let me get that close.

Emrys

Emrys

I got one I thought looked like any rural road in Alberta. Turned out it was it a rural road in Saskatchewan.
Well, they are so very alike.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If anyone has been followingRandall's Time comic, it has apparently finally ended.
This guy has collected the entire series over at his site (which is apparently getting crushed right now) in case you want an easy way to browse the whole thing.

--Patrick

tegid

tegid

Another site where you can watch it all is

D

Dubyamn

He obviously put a lot of effort and love and craft into that project.

It's still absolute shit.

D

Dubyamn

Which elements were bad? Here's a list of the few elements to a visual story that might receive critique (not complete):

- Characters
- Plot-Bad
- Art
- Layout-Terrible
- Script
- Pacing-atrocious
It wasn't funny, wasn't interesting, wasn't overly accessible. Maybe I just don't "get" it but I can't even conceive of what he was going for with it and really that's worth half the points.

PatrThom

PatrThom

He was going for an interesting story. It's certainly no less interesting than The Island. The unfold-the-plot-as-you-go reminded me a lot of the early Cyan games.

--Patrick

D

Dubyamn

He was going for an interesting story. It's certainly no less interesting than The Island. The unfold-the-plot-as-you-go reminded me a lot of the early Cyan games.

--Patrick
So your example of an interesting story is a movie that got 40% on Rotten Tomatoes? I mean when I can't get more than one minute into a quick scrolling show of the entire comic I honestly believe that it has failed to be interesting of fun.

The entire thing just seems useless and self indulgent.

Gusto

Gusto

It was interesting as a media experiment but shouldn't really be considered a comic. And yeah, if we're following the film metaphor here, I'd say it's entirely reasonable that an experimental film with an "interesting story" to still be weird and inaccessible.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It felt like a comic version of a short story I would have been forced to read in the 7th grade to make me think about things differently.

Gusto

Gusto

It felt like a comic version of a short story I would have been forced to read in the 7th grade to make me think about things differently.
Ha, exactly.

Cog

Cog

It wasn't funny, wasn't interesting, wasn't overly accessible. Maybe I just don't "get" it but I can't even conceive of what he was going for with it and really that's worth half the points.
Maybe it's modern art?

PatrThom

PatrThom

So your example of an interesting story is a movie that got 40% on Rotten Tomatoes?
No, what I said is that I would certainly not rate it worse than a movie which got 40% on Rotten Tomatoes. A movie with a multimillion-dollar budget compared to a webcomic done by one guy. (full disclosure, I haven't seen the movie in question, just going on reputation).
The entire thing just seems useless and self indulgent.
I think you just described every webcomic out there (some more than others).
--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I couldn't help but think of it as a metaphor for the human relationship with space exploration. We may be doing it for fun now, but there's something nagging in the back of our heads that says it'll ultimately be necessary.
How does the quote go? The Universe littered with the single-planet graves of civilizations that made the sensible decision to not prioritize space exploration? Something to that effect?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I couldn't help but think of it as a metaphor for the human relationship with space exploration. We may be doing it for fun now, but there's something nagging in the back of our heads that says it'll ultimately be necessary.
That's also what I thought he was referring to, and where I thought he was going, but then it diverged from that a bit and I just went with it. I assumed the story started driving itself at some point and he only got to stick close rather than right to it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

If it's a metaphor for space exploration... are the castle dwellers aliens? And who are the "hill people?"

GasBandit

GasBandit

But I like the space thing better.

PatrThom

PatrThom

But I like the space thing better.
It's the language thing that really tears the space metaphor for me. Otherwise, the sea's rise could be compared to our sun going nova or something like that.

Really, I just saw it as watching the lure of exploring The Unknown unfold. And they learned something, something important. And they acted on it, and were better for it, but I was very conflicted about the theft.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Neat!

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, you know that XKCD comic with all the questions?

Well, someone set out to answer them all, and did a really good job of it. As a fellow polymath, I approve wholeheartedly of this effort.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

This is quite sad.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

http://xkcd.org/1299/

"Take that, smug boy!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PatrThom

PatrThom

I would like to point out that, as of this post, we are only 8 comics away from comic #1337.
Let's see what happens.

--Patrick

fade

fade

I don't [drink soda, eat fast food, watch tv, heat water in a box specifically designed to heat water].

figmentPez

figmentPez

Today's XKCD makes me irrationally happy.

Hacker is such a dumb movie, but it's so fun. I need to rewatch it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Let's see what happens.
Today's XKCD makes me irrationally happy.
\o/

--Patrick

fade

fade

I totally refer to people in real life by their online names. Which gets awkward for names like Pay-tur-thom and juh-wowk and en-tee-see-ess-dodge-man.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I hate it when people refer to me with my online handle.

Wait.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I totally refer to people in real life by their online names. Which gets awkward for names like Pay-tur-thom and juh-wowk and en-tee-see-ess-dodge-man.
What do you do for people like @HCGLNS? Do people nearby think you are having angina?

--Patrick

tegid

tegid

I pronounce it 'Hackglens'

GasBandit

GasBandit

Huck-glennis

drifter

drifter

Hugglins

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You said my name three times! Now you have to feed me!

#hack
#glen
#s

blotsfan

blotsfan

H-C-G-Who-gives-a-fuck-about-the-rest

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm gonna come to your house and won't leave until you feed me or you become a Leafs fan.

Adam

Adam

Yeah, I hate it when people refer to me with my online handle.

Wait.
Ditto

evilmike

evilmike

You said my name three times! Now you have to feed me!

#hack
#glen
#s
hcglns.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My real life friends call me Poe. ... yeah.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What do you do for people like @HCGLNS? Do people nearby think you are having angina?

--Patrick
Higgins!

Dei

Dei

I play roller derby, I have a whole host of friends that I call by weird names. :p

Adam

Adam

My real life friends call me Poe. ... yeah.
Poe-yeah?

Weird.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Just remember the first two letters are my first and middle initials.

<cackles evilly as he imagines the mispronunciation of his last name>

PatrThom

PatrThom

I usually get you confused with the name of one of the earliest microbiologists.

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

I refer to you all as "somebody on the forum".

Frank

Frank

Just remember the first two letters are my first and middle initials.

I prefer JAWHOOUAK

BErt

Is it like this guy?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I usually get you confused with the name of one of the earliest microbiologists.

--Patrick
And you'd be wrong.

The name is German. We have every reason to believe that my grandfather may have actually spelled it "Hauch", but he never signed his name to anything. So, the pronunciation of the "ou" is like the "au" sound in German. IOW: <HOWK>.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And you'd be wrong.
No, I'm pretty sure the fact that I get the name confused is 100% true. It's the graphological similarity that does it for me, not the sound.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

This one thing I know: there are a lot of Yankees fans out there who know how to pronounce my name.

(And a few Tigers and Red Sox fans, too.)

Necronic

Necronic

Can someone explain that one about the probe?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can someone explain that one about the probe?
Acid Burn and Crash Override are the "hacker aliases" of Angelina Jolie and whats-his-face in the movie, Hackers. They hack the planet. And now, apparently, the satellites.

crashoverride.gif

figmentPez

figmentPez

Alt Text:
Comes with a 50-lb sack of gender changers, and also an add-on device with a voltage selector and a zillion circular center pin DC adapter tips so you can power any of those devices from the 90s.

Still missing:
- XLR
- MIDI / Game Port / DA-15
- Displayport
- BNC
- Several varieties of serial port (DE-9, DIN-8, RS-422, etc.)
- SATA / eSATA

PatrThom

PatrThom

I would like to take this moment to also direct your attention to Sonic840's excellent computer connector chart over on deviantART.
Computer_hardware_poster_1_7_by_Sonic840.png.jpeg

You can see the much better, higher-resolution copy by jumping over to the source page.

Also, the box will need S/PDIF, optical audio, a split between FireWire 400/800/1600/3200, BNC Video, Thicknet (10Base-2), AUI, AAUI, HD15 video, Wifi transceiver, IR transceiver, ADB, PS/2*, SCSI HD-30...

...I'm thinking this would be a much bigger project than originally anticipated.

--Patrick
*Oops, nevermind. I thought he was referring to the video console in his image, not the peripheral bus.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This is a metaphor for why Java sucks so much.

Necronic

Necronic

Its also a metaphor for how awesome it is, or was. The internet would not exist without the VM compiler stuff that Java does (and other software now does much better.)

PatrThom

PatrThom

PatrThom

PatrThom

Today's XKCD made my head hurt, too.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I like the flavor text:

They work even better if you take them with our experimental placebo booster, which I keep in the same bottle.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Today's XKCD sums up exactly how I feel about the vast supermajority of beer in the world.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Today's XKCD sums up exactly how I feel about the vast supermajority of beer in the world.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

--Patrick
The fact that we have cider and apple ale ads on TV tells you that a lot of millennials agree with you and know they can do better.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The fact that we have cider and apple ale ads on TV tells you that a lot of millennials agree with you and know they can do better.
See https://www.halforums.com/xenforo/t...d-it-begins-again.29974/page-158#post-1214433 :D

Bubble181

Bubble181

True for a lot of crappy beers; not true at all for a lot of better beers. To each their own and some people just have a different range of tastes they respond to. But me, personally, I can say I really do enjoy a lot of good beers on their own rights.

Terrik

Terrik

Meh, most beer DOES taste bad, but I'll never say I drink beer because it tastes good. I have beers that I prefer to drink if I I'm going to be drinking something for a few hours. This is probably the reason I'm not a beer snob--it was never about the taste in the first place. In fact, I largely agree with Jun on the taste of alcohol and would probably be better off with a really fruity/sweet wine, but not that I'll ever admit that to her.

D

Dubyamn

It's an acquired taste. I still remember my first beer and how terrible it was and to a certain extent I can still taste what I didn't like the first time.

But I genuinely do like beer maybe not to the extent that I can necessarily tell you that this one is hoppy and this one has had special spices added to the batch at a certain point of fermentation but I can tell what's a good beer and what is swill.

fade

fade

If your beer tastes bad, you're drinking a bad beer. Sorry Randall. Not this time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I can think of a few things that tasted bad to me as a teenager that now taste good. Beer is one of them. Broccoli is another.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Mr. Munroe doesn't want that Ommegang Hennepin with his fried chicken? Fine. All the more for me.

(That was today's lunch. Pan-fried buttermilk-soaked chicken and the aforementioned Hennepin. It was GOOD.)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can think of a few things that tasted bad to me as a teenager that now taste good. Beer is one of them. Broccoli is another.
Spinach. Though I think the reason I hated it as a kid was because it always either came from a can or was boiled into mush. Nowadays I'd prefer to have spinach replace the iceberg lettuce in almost every sandwich/burger I eat.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Spinach. Though I think the reason I hated it as a kid was because it always either came from a can or was boiled into mush. Nowadays I'd prefer to have spinach replace the iceberg lettuce in almost every sandwich/burger I eat.

--Patrick
Kale! Oh my god it makes every soup better! I used to hate it so much!

Dei

Dei

There are beers I like and beers I don't. In Colorado I have so many beers to choose from. SO MANY. Too bad I don't really drink. [emoji14]

MindDetective

MindDetective

Everyone, including Munroe, seem to treat taste as some kind of invariable law; that we all taste the same. We clearly don't. That said, I chuckled at his comic.

D

Dubyamn

Kale! Oh my god it makes every soup better! I used to hate it so much!
Licorice not my favorite flavor but it is no longer an anathema to everything I like.

fade

fade

Everyone, including Munroe, seem to treat taste as some kind of invariable law; that we all taste the same. We clearly don't. That said, I chuckled at his comic.
I know some people definitely taste better than others.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Maybe it had something to do with being in my 30s before I had my first beer, but I liked beer from my first one.

Necronic

Necronic

Huh, see I feel like almost every beer tastes great. Nice cool yeasty refreshment. Polished off a bunch of Tecate last night while grilling fajitas. I just couldn't imagine another way of doing things.

...I may be an alcoholic.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Alt text:
"Wait, so in this version is Frankenstein also the doctor's name?" "No, he's just 'The Doctor'."

Null

Null

I know some people definitely taste better than others.

bhamv3

bhamv3

In celebration of Randall's new book coming out today, the XKCD today is a small game you can play, involving a hoverboard and collecting coins.

Of course, this being XKCD, you are allowed, encouraged even, to transcend boundaries.

Bubble181

Bubble181

67 coins, 1120 seconds. Fuck the place is huge :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

67 coins, 1120 seconds. Fuck the place is huge :p
I made it up to 92 coins. I suspect there are at least 100.

Fun Size

Fun Size

149 coins. Sheesh.

strawman

strawman

If you want to know how many there are and the overview map of the world:

There are 169 coins.

[DOUBLEPOST=1448463174,1448462996][/DOUBLEPOST]There's also a pan-able and zoomable map here:

http://codepen.io/KyleDavidE/full/605dc87b614ff6b2bd716f4c6f640203/

Bubble181

Bubble181

Blegh, I spent ten minutes trying to find something on the left side of the air :p

evilmike

evilmike

Bubble181

Bubble181

Those doubts make sense...If you're doubting between °Celsius and Kelvin.

fade

fade

I still contend that while most SI units make sense, there's really nothing less arbitrary about C over F.

Also, Fahrenheit himself considered water for its obvious ubiquity, but chose alcohol intentionally over water because experimentation showed it was more stable over a wider range of contaminant levels.

Krisken

Krisken

Fahrenheit is the better measurement because it is more indicative of human survival conditions in a range comfortable for reporting. Using boiling or freezing water as an indicator for this is a little silly.

There are plenty of times Celsius makes more sense. Weather reporting isn't one of them.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Fahrenheit is the better measurement because it is more indicative of human survival conditions in a range comfortable for reporting. Using boiling or freezing water as an indicator for this is a little silly.

There are plenty of times Celsius makes more sense. Weather reporting isn't one of them.
"chance of freezing" is more useful /important than "t-shirt or sweater". "A range of numbers between -20 and 40" isn't harder than "a range of numbers between 0 to 100".

Celsius is already not really SI, that's Kelvin, and not using that makes perfect sense - "253 to 313" isn't very clear or practical.

My point isn't that you shouldn't use °F. I don't give a rat's ass. People using °F insist on trying to prove °C is somehow "worse", which it isn't. Look at the points made in that XKCD. Of those for °C, 4 of them are either personal, or irrelevant. Only "international standard" and "nice negative is freezing" can be sensible, and the first of those, only if you know the other person you're talking to is used to °C - if it's an American, that's not an issue. Of those in favor of °F, the first is useful, the second's personal, the third I honestly can't parse, the fourth isn't actually relevant at all, the fifth is the opposite of "international standard" in the °C list, meaning it's only true if you're talking to an American, but otherwise isn't. The sixth makes sense when comparing to Kelvin, but not really to °C, unless, again, you're American.

In all, the points are "a bunch of personal reasons, either it's obvious when it's freezing, or it's easier to gauge temperatures in between, and if you're talking to an American, you probably want to use °F, and otherwise, °C".

strawman

strawman

C is just inconvenient because it's so low resolution, and no one bothers with decidegrees C, because it's too high resolution. It's just as arbitrary as F, but F is simply more convenient. F rarely needs a decimal point, but C frequently does.

I don't care which someone uses as long as they use the correct notation, and I'll frequently include both because my audience includes people who prefer one over the other.

But arguing about which is better or worse is like arguing about how steak should be cooked.

And everyone reasonable, sane, intelligent, and of superior heritage and taste knows steak shouldn't be removed from the heat until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F (73.9C). :troll:

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've never used a decimal on °C for the weather in my life. For body temperature, sure, but then it's the opposite - centigrade is more precise than Fahrenheit.

And everyone reasonable, sane, intelligent, and of superior heritage and taste knows steak shouldn't be removed from the heat until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F (73.9C). :troll:
You are a heathen and even too low to be considered for contempt, peasant. Anything over 145/60 makes a mockery of the fine qualities of steak.

evilmike

evilmike

C is just inconvenient because it's so low resolution, and no one bothers with decidegrees C, because it's too high resolution. It's just as arbitrary as F, but F is simply more convenient. F rarely needs a decimal point, but C frequently does.
Did you ever consider that this isn't a fault of the unit, but the antiquated fixation on base 10?

strawman

strawman

I've never used a decimal on °C for the weather in my life. For body temperature, sure, but then it's the opposite - centigrade is more precise than Fahrenheit.
Ah, but in the case of body temperature we use a decimal and still have better resolution.

As far as the weather, sure, we all hand wave that, and the same could go for cooking. But when you set your environment temperature - thermostat in the home/office/car - are you suggesting that it reports only integer degrees Celsius, and allows you to only set integer degrees Celsius?

All the new ones that I see appear to support at least 0.5C steps, if not 0.2C or 0.1C steps, suggesting that the Celsius scale does lack the resolution sufficient to produce a reasonable temperature without that additional information.

fade

fade

My point is that the reasons for both F and C boil down to personal taste.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Lacking resolution is why decimals were invented. Look at blood pressure - the US reports in 152/84, in Europe we generally use 15.2/8.4. (random example. I was going to use mine but I just took it and I doubt you'd like 19/15 as a normal example. Oops.). Either's ok and exactly the same. Kilometers lack resolution to express body height (I'm 0.00188 tall isn't efficient). Micrometer is too precise (I'm 1880000 µm). But centimeter (188) or decimeter (18.8) or meter (1.88) are all fairly equivalent as for ease of use. Just feet would lack precision (though saying you're 6.2 feet would be easier than the current 6-feet--2-inch[yes I'm aware those two aren't the same, shht]).

Both °F and °C are sufficiently precise for some aspects and can be fine-tuned for others.

As for thermostats, yes, admittedly - but I don't feel the difference between 21.2 and 21.3, and neither do you.

strawman

strawman

As for thermostats, yes, admittedly

Yay! I win. C requires 3 significant digits in more common situations where F only requires 2. ;)

I'm just arguing for no good reason anyway, I hope you aren't taking this seriously. I know I'm not. :awesome:

:tina:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fahrenheit's better for describing human comfort. A single degree of Fahrenheit definitely tells me something different about the outside, and each set of ten pretty much neatly lines up to a certain definition of Comfort. 30s is freezing, 40s is cold, 50s is chilly, 60 is cool, 70s is mild, 80s is warm, 90s is hot, 100s is punishingly hot. Each degree within those sets of 10 also conveys a palpable change in each order of magnitude. Celsius is clunky and inexact in comparison.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Celsius is clunky and inexact in comparison.
"personal opinion".

I'm just arguing for no good reason anyway, I hope you aren't taking this seriously. I know I'm not. :awesome:
:tina:
I hope you die, and all your children too*. Considering my point wasn't that °C's better, but that it's mostly a personal matter of taste and use, eh. It's Americans who can't seem to accept °C as a general norm and feel the need to fight over it every time. It's like vegans. °F is pretty much the only Imperial measurement that makes an ounce of sense, and they'll try and get every inch of use out of it they can.

*You know, when you've all had long, healthy, full and interesting lives.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, but the rest of the world also calls Soccer by the wrong name, so there's precedent.

Dei

Dei

Fahrenheit's better for describing human comfort. A single degree of Fahrenheit definitely tells me something different about the outside, and each set of ten pretty much neatly lines up to a certain definition of Comfort. 30s is freezing, 40s is cold, 50s is chilly, 60 is cool, 70s is mild, 80s is warm, 90s is hot, 100s is punishingly hot. Each degree within those sets of 10 also conveys a palpable change in each order of magnitude. Celsius is clunky and inexact in comparison.
This temperature scale is so wrong, 60 is glorious. (As long as the sun is shining)

Krisken

Krisken

GasBandit an I agreed. This makes it FACT.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

165 being, of course, the temperature that the USDA considers "safe" because it's the temp where most bacteria will die. But any sane person knows that in a fresh cut of steak, most of the bacteria will be on the surface, not the internal muscle fibers, and will die when you sear it, and thus it's perfectly ok to cook to an internal temperature of 125 with a 5-10 minute rest.

;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

This temperature scale is so wrong, 60 is glorious. (As long as the sun is shining)
Not the point! :p

GasBandit an I agreed. This makes it FACT.
That makes me think... At the risk of derailing into the political, what if, instead of one president, we dual-elect Sanders and Cruz, and no law, repeal, appointment or executive order goes into effect without BOTH signatures?

Bubble181

Bubble181

That makes me think... At the risk of derailing into the political, what if, instead of one president, we dual-elect Sanders and Cruz, and no law, repeal, appointment or executive order goes into effect without BOTH signatures?
Or, we could just abolish all federal government, because just as much will get done. :p

Dei

Dei

Or, we could just abolish all federal government, because just as much will get done. :p
A libertarian dream!

GasBandit

GasBandit

A libertarian dream!

Ohhh yeahhhhh baby.

Heh, in all seriousness, though, like 80+% of all legislation gets passed with near unanimous support of both parties, it's just a handful of hotbutton issues that get all the press. This way, if they both sign off, you know it's something that is probably necessary.

Then again, The Iraq war and quantitative easing bills all had universal support, too, so maybe it's not as good a firewall as I initially thought.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Is it me? Apparently you're supposed to be able to grow stuff in Garden, but looking at screenshots (on xkcd explained etc) there's supposed to be ground under the lamps...Which there isn't, for me. Which means nothing grows :'(

bhamv3

bhamv3

I aimed my lamp at my garden. The first thing to grow? An obelisk.

O___O;;

GasBandit

GasBandit

I aimed my lamp at my garden. The first thing to grow? An obelisk.

O___O;;
Nothing ever grew in my garden. Nothing.

evilmike

evilmike

I got several octopi, oddly, under one of the lights, not in the shade as you'd expect.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Just one question, which one of them goes to hold the pass at Thermopylae?

figmentPez

figmentPez

This really did make me sad....

“If you can read this, congratulations—the archive you’re you're using still knows about the mouseover text”!

MindDetective

MindDetective

You can't fight entropy forever!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Is there no way to reverse entropy?

PatrThom

PatrThom

strawman

strawman

It should only make you sad if you believe that everything being created now is of value.

MindDetective

MindDetective

It should only make you sad if you believe that everything being created now is of value.
Wouldn't the things of value be the most likely targets?

evilmike

evilmike

It's like you tried to define a formal grammar based on fragments of a raw database dump from the QuickBooks file of a company that's about to collapse in an accounting scandal.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's like you tried to link an image but then spelled the URL wrong.

EDIT: Oh, you fixed it.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I didn't even realize you could HAVE a data set made up entirely of outliers.

PatrThom

PatrThom

"Okay Google send a text"
...in case you were wondering.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

This reminds me of my days sifting through Flickr for cosplay photos:

During Dragon*Con I would be up near "Can't sleep, too busy sifting through photos to find the best ones".

Alt text:
A good lifehack is to use messy and unstable systems to organize your photos. That way, every five years or so it becomes obsolete and/or collapses, and you have to open it up and pick only your favorite pictures to salvage.

evilmike

evilmike

Today's xkcd

"On January 26th, 2274 Mars days into the mission, NASA declared Spirit a 'stationary research station', expected to stay operational for several more months until the dust buildup on its solar panels forces a final shutdown."
At least NASA celebrates Curiosity's birthday:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Necroposting because the site is still around. Looks like 5000 points is the max per round. Just got a score of 24907.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Necroposting because the site is still around. Looks like 5000 points is the max per round. Just got a score of 24907.
Fuck Japan

Four times under 4 miles, one 400 miles mistake -_- 23567 points. Too many "middle of nowhere" places :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Off by 8,000 miles because I got dropped off in a courtyard of an abandoned building with no way to move. No language hints on the building, either. Arid surroundings... I guessed Mexico. It was... Pakistan. :(

(ETA: Not the first time I got stuck somewhere. Another time I got stuck in an industrial site in India where I could only go a couple of steps forward or back)

netsirk

netsirk

Never tried that before - it was considerably more entertaining that I was expecting! Wound up with a score of 24,993, but the lost points were all in the first round when I was being sloppy and didn't realize how precisely one needed to place the pin (also, vast tracts of Brazilian farmland with no mile markers all look pretty similar). I also lucked out by landing only in places with languages that I can read. Pretty sure I'd be hosed most anywhere in Asia.

Out of curiosity, what's the closest to zero that people have gotten? My best was 17.4m from the target.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My best was 17.4m from the target.
Is that miles or meters?

--Patrick

netsirk

netsirk

Is that miles or meters?

--Patrick
Meters! (In that case, 19 yards, for the non-metric types.)

Null

Null

Played this a few times, usually get around 11,000.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Played it once. Scored about 35.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Aggh today's XKCD is just TOO REAL 4 ME:

making_progress.png

I started off with countless problems. But now I know, thanks to COUNT(), that I have "#REF! ERROR: Circular dependency detected" problems.
--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

So this is how to get the giant, rideable fox that @LittleKagsin has always wanted...

Alt text
It's important to note that while the effective size of the dog can be arbitrarily large, it's not any more of a good dog than the two original dogs.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

So this is how to get the giant, rideable fox that @LittleKagsin has always wanted...
Or she could get her girlfriend to wear this:
mouth-mover-fox-mask.jpg

Dave

Dave

A WEREFOX!!

(That's actually pretty horrifying.)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

View attachment 26056

PatrThom

PatrThom

View attachment 26056
Hey, if amateur taxidermy is your thing...

—Patrick

Null

Null

Kags' ideal girlfriend:

strawman

strawman

:confused:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, and I'm sure her boyfriend won't be any problem. Heard he was vegan or something.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Kags' ideal girlfriend:

Ya'll! YA'LL! I swear to God. :rofl:

bhamv3

bhamv3

My feels!

Alt text:
[hair in face] "SEVVVENNN YEEEARRRSSS"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Aw, beat me to it.

I was beginning to think he wasn't going to update today.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

@Li3n

@Li3n

The best security technology doesn't matter when it relies on the average person to use it... especially on their personal phones/Computers/consoles.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ah! My sides! So true!

repair_or_replace.png

Just make sure all your friends and family are out of the car, or that you've made backup friends and family at home.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Today's xkcd makes me sad because I don't remember enough physics and math to make sense of most of these.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Today's xkcd makes me sad because I don't remember enough physics and math to make sense of most of these.
Well, "heat" is supposed to be written "Δ" for starters.
But that's not as funny.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Today's xkcd

Opportunity has still not checked in after the planet wide dust storm that started over 100 days ago. NASA is still trying to contact the rover. In the meantime, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter was able to take a picture of it during a recent flyover. (Gizmodo)

Opportunity has operated 5554 sols since landing, having exceeded its operating plan by 14 years, 147 days (in Earth time). As of January 23, 2018, the rover had traveled 45.09 kilometers (28.02 miles) which is the furthest distance any vehicle has traveled on the surface of another planetary body. (Wikipedia)

evilmike

evilmike

GasBandit

GasBandit

At first that kinda made me feel like we had failed something, but then I remembered we have landed robots on another planet recently, so I think we're kinda on track.

PatrThom

PatrThom

January 1960 was also the first descent to the bottom of the Challenger Deep. The 60’s sounds like quite a decade for achievements.

—Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At first that kinda made me feel like we had failed something, but then I remembered we have landed robots on another planet recently, so I think we're kinda on track.
And rockets can land on their feet... just like in the old Buck Rogers serials.

evilmike

evilmike

Today's xkcd

Late Tuesday night, scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory sent their final data uplink to the Opportunity rover on Mars. Over this connection, via the Deep Space Network, the American jazz singer Billie Holiday crooned "I'll Be Seeing You,"....

The scientists waited to hear some response from their long-silent rover, which had been engulfed in a global dust storm last June, likely coating its solar panels in a fatal layer of dust. Since then, the team of scientists and engineers have sent more than 835 commands, hoping the rover will wake up from its long slumber—that perhaps winds on Mars might have blown off some of the dust that covered the panels. (Ars Technica)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh my GOD Monday's comic about the invisible formatting potential time bombs is SO TRUE.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

"Thanks for bringing us along."

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

https://xkcd.com/2178/

I don't know the exact date, but I do remember throwing out some old Ann Page spices from our pantry in the late 80s.

We hadn't shopped at an A&P since at least 1975. :Leyla:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

https://xkcd.com/2178/

I don't know the exact date, but I do remember throwing out some old Ann Page spices from our pantry in the late 80s.

We hadn't shopped at an A&P since at least 1975. :Leyla:
We cleaned out our cupboards to replace them in 2000. We found a can of cream of tartar from 1989. That gives me a score of... 73.33.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My parents would win this hands down. Like a spice rack they had that was more decorative than utilitarian. My mom took it down a few years back and there were still jars on it that had the original 1970 spices.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My mom took it down a few years back and there were still jars on it that had the original 1970 spices.
"Tarragon. Who really uses tarragon for anything?"

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I remember cleaning out my cupboards last year and finding things from our first apartment, which I remember because there is no Wegmans in Colorado. So at least 12+ years, but probably still not winning.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I would have won for this age group, but I had a couple of bug infestations and threw a lot of 10+ year old stuff out about 3 years back.

Dave

Dave

When I was in the Marines I worked in the storeroom of a chow hall. There was a can of dehydrated vinegar that was on the shelf and never left. The date on the can was 1964. This was 1985. I was 19.

Score: 110.5.

Nothing I ever find in my house will beat that.

Bubble181

Bubble181

When I was in the Marines I worked in the storeroom of a chow hall. There was a can of dehydrated vinegar that was on the shelf and never left. The date on the can was 1964. This was 1985. I was 19.

Score: 110.5.

Nothing I ever find in my house will beat that.
That's why it explicitly states self-bought. I've seen military rations from WWI (no, that's not a typo, just one) still stocked as "usable".

Tress

Tress

FYI spices should be replaced every 1-2 years, or they lose their flavor. So throw all that shit in the cupboards out and get some new ones!

bhamv3

bhamv3

My choice: Burnt (2015) starring Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller, and Daniel Bruhl. It's got 28% on Rotten Tomatoes.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Daredevil.

Dave

Dave

A Million Ways to Die in the West. Love that movie but damn did I ever take a beating when I talked about how much I liked it when it first came out.

blotsfan

blotsfan

It's at 55% and the consensus 10 years later is that it was fantastic, but it's criminal that Stepbrothers is only 55%.

In a related note, Will Ferrell is my key to this. Semi-Pro is 28%. Way too low.

Tress

Tress

My choice: Burnt (2015) starring Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller, and Daniel Bruhl. It's got 28% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Ha! I could do this all day long. My girlfriend and I joke that our “sweet spot” on Rotten Tomatoes is around the 50% range, because for some reason we always seem to like polarizing movies.

I could go with multiple options, but I just picked one. I thought Cooties (2015) starring Elijah Wood was hilarious. It’s a comedy-horror about a zombie outbreak at an elementary school that only affects the kids, so the teachers have to band together to fight them off.

By the way, I also loved Burnt.

Dave

Dave

I LOVE the movie Cooties! So you're the other one!

Adam

Adam

Armageddon.

Yeah, it's a preposterous concept, but Liv Tyler was fine and the action was pretty gripping.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Armageddon.
1998, close but no cigar.

If we're allowing pre-2000 movies, then PCU (1993), and Little Big League (1994)

I'm having trouble coming up with post-2000 movies.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Rotten tomatoes pre-2000 is pretty unreliable.

Adam

Adam

2012 - 39% RT, came out in 2009
Behind Enemy Lines - 37% RT, came out in 2001
What Lies Beneath - 46% RT, came out in 2000
Terminator Salvation - 33% RT, came out in 2009
Speed Racer - 40% RT, came out in 2008

figmentPez

figmentPez

Okay, found one: Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008) 38% Totatometer

EDIT: Rim of the World (2019), not only a 25% from critics, but a 22% from audiences as well.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm having trouble coming up with post-2000 movies.
Me, too!

--Patrick

Null

Null

Equilibrium (2002) - 40% on RT, but audience score is 81%, so not a genuinely unpopular opinion.
Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) - pretty much the same divide in scores
Guardians (2017) (aka Russian Avengers, aka the one with the were-bear with the gatling gun) - 30% RT, no audience score... I liked it but as a cheesy goof movie, it had great potential but it didn't really pay off and they would occasionally just stop the movie so some character or other could have an emotional soliloquy that felt like a cutscene from a side-quest in an above average videogame. Near the end of the movie, there's an obstacle between them and the villain's special power source that seems tailor made with what we were told about a particular character's powers, and they even start going for it, then they all go, "No, that won't work, we'll have to do something way more needlessly complicated."

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Life imitates art.

@Null, don't do this.

PatrThom

PatrThom

evilmike

evilmike

If only they had referenced another comic..

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If only they had referenced another comic..
They actually do reference that comic in the story.

Null

Null

Yeah I'm too poor cheap to go for a vanity plate at any rate.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Re: today's comic.

Eww.

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

Well, that's going to change faculty meetings dramatically.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

May 17, 1980: REOPEN MOUNT ST. HELENS!

May 18...

Dei

Dei

Dei

Dei

Happy tears

bhamv3

bhamv3

"My hideous and inexplicable existence continues unabated! Take that biology!"

That's the kind of spiteful middle finger to the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune that I can definitely get behind.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"My hideous and inexplicable existence continues unabated! Take that biology!"

That's the kind of spiteful middle finger to the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune that I can definitely get behind.
It's very Kilgore Trout.

PatrThom

PatrThom

TIL my egg alignment is LG.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

For once this thread's title applies to me:

Piotyr

Piotyr

Nerdy analogy to explain how mRNA vaccines work:

PatrThom

PatrThom

The fact that Leia's exploding metal ball thing looks a bit like a coronavirus was not lost on me.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Thread.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Here it is all unrolled and laid out.

The meta is absolute fire.
"We counted how many people have a disease. Here are some maps with poor countries in red."
"100,000 scientists have worked for 3 decades and we still have the same answer." (re: climate change)
"Elders have rebuild enough equity for another round of predatory lending."

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Man, I feel like those comedy articles may be biased.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Most accurate one yet:

1620170989871.png

bhamv3

bhamv3

Now you can make your own with this handy generator!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

windows or vaccine.png

evilmike

evilmike

What, no zip line?

PatrThom

PatrThom

exercise_progression_2x.png

Oh... Randall. I am with you so hard on this one.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Today's xkcd

Bubble181

Bubble181

1662018609762.png

Can we please please get someone like Elon to psring for the upgrade to Pro? Pretty please?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hold up. Which universe plan are we using right now? Because it looks like we've got Universe Standard, but then that raises the question of who's paying for it.

mikerc

mikerc

Hold up. Which universe plan are we using right now? Because it looks like we've got Universe Standard, but then that raises the question of who's paying for it.
Well it would have to be someone who's been around since the beginning because we've always been on Standard, so that means either Pat Robertson or @Dave & I don't think Paddy-boy would let anyone else benefit from his plan.

Dave

Dave

:stfu:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Clearly we're mooching off of some other universe's account.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Randall unleashes a personal attack on our own @GasBandit :

battery_life.png

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Late Tuesday night, scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory sent their final data uplink to the Opportunity rover on Mars. Over this connection, via the Deep Space Network, the American jazz singer Billie Holiday crooned "I'll Be Seeing You,"....

The scientists waited to hear some response from their long-silent rover, which had been engulfed in a global dust storm last June, likely coating its solar panels in a fatal layer of dust. Since then, the team of scientists and engineers have sent more than 835 commands, hoping the rover will wake up from its long slumber—that perhaps winds on Mars might have blown off some of the dust that covered the panels. (Ars Technica)

Dave

Dave

My sister-in-law is in this trailer. My brother-in-law certainly could be in the movie. They both worked at JPL on this mission.

evilmike

evilmike

My sister-in-law is in this trailer. My brother-in-law certainly could be in the movie. They both worked at JPL on this mission.
Amazing! It'd be great if you can get either of their reactions to the movie.

Dave

Dave

Amazing! It'd be great if you can get either of their reactions to the movie.
I would if they still talked to us. After my wife's mom died they cut our side of the family out completely.

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd heard they officially called off contact just before Christmas weekend. Too much dust, not enough power.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

Everything is an edge case, if you look at it sideways.

—Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

1691657674817.png

OK, most of those make sense....But I'm not allowed to exit the building to apply pressure to the kitty? That's going to be hard :-(

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm not allowed to exit the building to apply pressure to the kitty? That's going to be hard :-(
...did you not read the hover text?
eqpuma.png

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

This makes me irrationally angry

1692843429302.png

bhamv3

bhamv3

This reminds me of "ghoti".

evilmike

evilmike

His recent take on schematic symbols was fun:

PatrThom

PatrThom

I feel like he missed an opportunity with that last one because he could have followed the NPN Trolley Problem with the PorNP problem.

—Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I feel like he missed an opportunity with that last one because he could have followed the NPN Trolley Problem with the PorNP problem.

—Patrick
So, you're saying the comic isn't NP-complete?

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

“If they're going to make people ride bikes and scooters in traffic, then it should at LEAST be legal to do the Snow Crash thing where you use a hook-shot-style harpoon to catch free rides from cars.”

—Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh hey, xkcd has their own YouTube channel now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

What, this should be eas.... oh fuck you, Randall.

1702667970123.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

The chef looks a lot more suggestive than I remember.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What, this should be eas.... oh fuck you, Randall.

View attachment 46831
I'm glad they included all three Georgias: East, Center, and West Georgia.

grub

grub

I'm a big fan of Caligon the beaches there are fantastic

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's also nice to see Ninnessee finally get official representation.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I just wonder if Very North Carolina has a Canadian themed tourist trap called North of the Border.

evilmike

evilmike

I'm pretty sure the Range Danger Officer is named Elon.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm pretty sure the Range Danger Officer is named Elon.
Title text, "The Range Mischief Officer has modified the trajectory to add a single random spin somewhere in the flight, but won't tell us where."

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dateline, September 2014:
1705381860489.png

Well, it took nine years, buuut...

--Patrick