[Movies] Worst Movies of 2015

There were a lot of crappy movies this year. Just off the top of my head:

Pan
Fan4stic
Pixels
Chappie
Divergent 2: Electric Boogaloo (Insurgent)
Get Hard
Entourage

What are some of the movies you thought were just awful this year?

I liked Chappie. It was weird but harmless fun. Very Short Circuit, but not one of the worst of 2015.
I was really really disappointed by it. Die Antwoort just killed the movie for me. Yolandi and Ninja were bad actors and not especially sympathetic characters. I will say that the effects were fantastic and most of the scenes without Die Antwoort were okay.

Worst Movie of 2015 Hard Mode: Nominate only movies you've seen.
Hey now that's discriminatory.
...if I've only seen one (new) movie in all of 2015, wouldn't that also make it my worst movie of 2015?

EDIT: Just checked. Of the top 500 movies released in 2015 listed by the IMDb, I've seen just one, Inside Out.

--Patrick

Last edited:
And there's Jurassic World and Terminator Genisys on the awesome list. Let's just chalk this up to subjective tastes, and not put too much stock in the list.

I'm surprised to see Furious 7 on the disappointing list; I heard nothing but good things.
If you're a fan of the series, I guess you'll like it. There's some overt "homage" to Paul Walker in the movie. It's so in your face, they might as well have stopped the film and looked directly in the camera to shed a tear and light a candle. Other than that, it was just another over-the-top, physics-defying action flick. If they weren't trying so hard to be serious, it might be ok. It deserves to be on the worst list, IMO.[DOUBLEPOST=1449242456,1449242391][/DOUBLEPOST]San Andreas! Hahahahahahaha. Did anyone actually watch that on purpose?!

The links on the list go to his reviews, and you can see why he felt one way or the other about a given movie. For instance, regarding Jurassic World:

With that out of the way, the film has some weird flaws. Most of the interpersonal stuff falls flat, and while we do get lots of on-screen dinosaur goodness, Sandra and I both came away feeling like the filmmakers didn't want to bother with "sense of wonder."

...but if the action had been supported by a really well-crafted human story it would have been more powerful. If the film had been allowed to cast off a couple of the less-engaging human stories, the action could have been dialed up a bit, and Jurassic Worldwould have shone as a really good monster movie.
Don't get me wrong: I wasn't actually disappointed—I have a threshold for that on my list, and this film escaped that handily—but I did have to tip my head to the side and raise my eyebrows at the film a couple of times to quietly say "really, movie? That's as hard as you're going to try to sell that to me?"
He indicates he saw it in imax 3d and was blown away by the visuals, and enjoyed the music.

Having recently seen it for the first time, I agree largely with him (which is why I trust him as a reviewer - his and my tastes do line up pretty well). There are a ton of plot holes you could drive a truck through, and many moments where characters become more or less smart in order to effect certain plot required events. But it was still a fun, engaging movie.

fade

Staff member
I liked Minions. It was silly but not bad.

Minions seems to evoke this weird "too cool for school" response in people. So many people feel obligated to hate it because it's a franchise film.

I liked Minions. It was silly but not bad.

Minions seems to evoke this weird "too cool for school" response in people. So many people feel obligated to hate it because it's a franchise film.
I can still hate it because I find the minions annoying, right?

Wait, Tomorrowland is on the awesome list? I thought it was bad? I didn't see it, but I remember complaints.

That's right.
Also #9 on the list is bullshit. I'd wage 3-4 at worst.
The Martian was awesome and I didn't see home of these but this was a REMAKE (somewhat) and this exceeded all expectations.

Dinoland behind ahead of this is a tragedy. Avengers too. Neither were awesome. Heck, I'd say Avengers should be considered on the bottom end of worst of 2015.

Oh shit! I completely forgot about Avengers 2. Clearly not as good as Mad Max.

I can't believe how little impact that had on me. Maybe its over-saturation but I feel like I'm kinda over the Marvel Universe.

GTFO

Max Mad was #1 movie for me this year.

It was EXACTLY how it was supposed to be.

Freaking plebs.
Fuck yeah, man.

This is the first year I've actually run out of the movie gift cards my mom buys me each Christmas, thanks to seeing Mad Max again and again.

I can't believe how little impact that had on me. Maybe its over-saturation but I feel like I'm kinda over the Marvel Universe.
This is how I felt, to the point that I didn't see Ant-Man even though I wanted to, but Captain America 3's trailer has reminded me that I do still care, when it's not apparently a bloated mess. Now, Civil War could still be a bloated mess, but I'm willing to give it the chance to prove itself.

Oh shit! I completely forgot about Avengers 2. Clearly not as good as Mad Max.

Ultron movie was clearly a stand-in movie waiting on the "big bad guy" to finally make his entrance.

They've milked his return to the universe for like 10 movies now across different platforms. Heck, he was the REAL bad guy in defenders of the galaxy.

The movie was so average that I'm no longer interested in any more movies... most of these guys already had 2+ movies associated to them....[DOUBLEPOST=1449344958,1449344552][/DOUBLEPOST]
Untitled.png

Ant-Man was legit better than Avengers 2. Actually, most of the stand-alone Marvel films are. I've been pretty vocal about how little I like either Avengers films. They're just ok.

Ant-Man was a hilarious heist movie.

I think the only 2015 movies I've watched is Mad Max and Magic Mike XXL, so I'll go with Mad Max for best and XXL for worst (I love Donald Glover but can't stand his singing, and Fluffy just isn't that good of an actor). It's nice to be catered to--two movies in a row where I want to bone pretty much the entire cast.

On a vaguely related note, I can't wait for RLM's 2016 "Fuck you, it's <year>!"

I think the only 2015 movie I've seen is Inside Out, so I'll have to call that both best and worst. hmm. I may need to sneak in some crappy straight-to-DVD movie just so I don't have to call Inside Out worst; it doesn't deserve it.