[Movies] World's End

I desperately want to see this movie but I've got a pact with my best friend, whom I've seen all the Blood and Ice Cream movies with.

He's in the Philippines for 3 weeks starting tomorrow, so hopefully World's End is still in theatres when he's back.

I haven't been to an opening night showing in quite a while, but I'm going to see this on the first showing available.

going to marathon Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz with the Zombo-meter and Fuzz-o-meter on this Saturday, then go see this in theatres. can't wait.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Knowing the kind of dickwads Finnish movie distributors are like, I have to wait until the film comesout on DVD. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... :(

also "The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy", which I prefer, and "The Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy", since each not only features a cornetto, but a different flavour cornetto.

Run, Fatboy, Run and Paul didn't have the same creative team behind them. They don't fit in to the trilogy any more than Scott Pilgrim does. All the movies in the trilogy were written by Edgar and Simon, directed by Edgar, starring Simon and Nick and are produced by Nira Park.
Run,Fatboy Run stars Simon Pegg and was co-written by him, and also features Dylan Moran who was in Shaun of the Dead, but it was directed by David Schwimmer. Edgar Wright, Nick Frost, and Nira Park were not involved at all. Paul was written by and starred Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, but again had no involvement from Edgar Wright or Nira Park. Meanwhile Scott Pilgrim was co-written by Edgar Wright, (with Michael Bacall and Bryan Lee O'Malley) and produced by Nira Park, but had no involvement from Simon Pegg or Nick Frost

Last edited:
I liked Paul but have no interest in ever seeing it again. I think I liked it more for the movie-going experience than the movie itself. Kind of like strip clubs.

I thought Paul was okay. I actually like Seth Rogen, but I do agree the movie would have been better with someone else doing Paul's voice.

Anyway, showtimes for the weekend are up. I combed through Toronto listings to find the cheapest theatre showing The World's End I could find. Hope my friends don't all bail (Actually a fairly likely scenario, for financial reasons among my friends)

I'll Tuesday afternoon it like I have been for most movies lately. No crowds, half price. Works for my night work schedule.

I went and saw this movie today and I'd say it's on par with Hot Fuzz. Loved it very much. I will be watching it multiple times in the future.

The fight scenes were insanely well coreographed for people who are supposed to be adult businessmen who are half in the bag.

Watched it again on Sunday and I picked up on a few more things. First of all, my observations from the first viewing, which I posted in the "Talk About the Last Movie You Saw" thread:

The characters surnames are all representing a King and his household:
Gary KING
Andy KNIGHTLY
Stephen PRINCE
Oliver CHAMBERLAIN
Peter PAGE
A building can be seen with three banners (I believe its a construction site, if I recall) hanging on the exterior wall. They read "We build. We Innovate. We Improve". Tying in to the network robots.
The Pubs, as Edgar has stated in interviews, are like tarot cards that give you hints as to what's going to happen in each:
The First Post- One of the most obvious, they start here.
The Old Familiar- The pub looks exactly the same as the First Post. Also, Oliver's sister Sam arrives, stirring old familiar feelings in both Gary and Stephen
The Famous Cock- Gary is the famous Cock; or rather the infamous one. He is banned from the pub for his behaviour on previous nights.
The Crosshands- Our heroes first have to fight the robots. Crossing hands, as one crosses swords. The pub sign features five hands gripping eachother. One hand for each of our heroes. The hands have spatters of blue on them
The Good Companions- All five guys act like especially good friends, trying to not arouse suspicion. Gary is the only one having a genuinely good time. The Pub sign features 5 drama masks; 4 morose faces and one happy fool.
The Two Headed Dog- Here, they fight the twins. The sign has spatters of blue on it.
The Trusty Servant- Talking to Reverend Green, they discover the truth here about how humans are expected to behave. Reverend Green is the network's trusty servant. Although its not revealed until later, this is also where Oliver is replaced with a replicant. He too is a trusty servant now. The man on the pub sign looks a lot like Michael Smiley, who plays Reverend Green.
The Mermaid- The boys are seduced here by the siren song of the MArmalade sandwich: 2 blondes with a redhead in between. The pub sign features three mermaids; two blondes with a redhead in the middle.
The Beehive- The hive mind mentality of the network is revealed. One could also say Andy stirs some serious shit up here, kicking the bee's nest so to speak. The sign has spatters of blue on it.
The King's Head- Gary King is the only one to have a drink here. The King on the sign bears a pretty good resemblance to Simon Pegg in a wig. Also, the "Ooh, Ah, Dracula" Fruit machine from Shaun of the Dead can be heard here.
The Hole in the Wall- An obvious one, Stephen drives the Beast through the wall, creating a hole through which they can escape. Gary escapes through the window (Another hole in a wall) The sign has spatters of blue on it.
The World's End- The crew trigger the apocalypse.

Every pub where they fight the blue filled robots, the sign has spatters of blue. This one I didn't actually notice while watching, I noticed afterwards when I wanted to corroborate my theories on the meanings of the pub names, and found a link with images of the signs.

Now, stuff I noticed on second viewing:
  • Gary King states at the beginning when discussing the Three Musketeers: "Five's a better number anyway; if there were 5, two could have died and there'd still be three left." Oliver and Peter both die, leaving three members of their party alive at the end.
  • The banners I brought up before Actually say "We Build." "We Improve." "We Perfect." Which is even more chilling
  • In the Two Headed Dog, where they fight the twins, nearly every shot has a "two for the price of one" sign in it
  • In the Crosshands, when they can't get a signal, Oliver claims "I've got 4 bars; still can't get a signal". Stephen replies "Must be the Network." Of course, it is in more than the one way correct.
  • Also this:
    http://deadshirt.net/?p=1425
  • I am still trying to figure out the significance of the final pub we see Gary visit, "The Rising Sun". The best theory I have is that it is the "dawn" of a new Gary, or even the "dawn" of a new era for mankind. This may be all there is to it. I'm trying to find if there's something there that ties it to Arthurian Legend more though.

The bluray has a feature where Simon Pegg and edgar wright go over one of their early flip chart breakdowns of the film. its crazy how precisely they narrow down the timing before the script is even written, let alone shooting has even started. they have a few notes saying at x time, y occurs. and its almost spot on to the final cut of the film.