World War Z Trailer - UGH

North_Ranger

Staff member
I knew it. I just f***in' knew it. The moment I saw that WWZ was going to be made into a film I was so happy, wanting to see this touching new take on the zombie genre on the silver screen.

But the moment I saw they had Brad Pitt as the lead... I knew this was going to be a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, Pitt's got some solid acting under his belt, but no way would a thoughtful, touching, different kind of a film have the budget to cast him as the protagonist. Not unless he's going to get to blow something up or schtoink a love-starved woman.

I would have loved to see WWZ as a documentary-like film, with a selection of narratives portrayed in flashback (especially the Battle of Hope, the Indian soldier's tale, the Battle of Yonkers and the tale of the Chinese nuclear submarine). But no... we're gonna get the Mid-Afternoon Return of the Fast Dead Revisited #3,781.

Fuck you, Hollywood. Fuck you in the neck.

I too was VERY much hoping for Pitt to be the Traveling Documentor, and there being clips of each story he's told. That would have been perfect. Who didn't want to see the blind japanese guy's story? That would have been amazing. How about the training for the zombie slayers where they were left in a room of decapitated zombie heads?

It could have been so amazing.

The zombie scenes look so unnatural. So much so it doesn't even feel like the threat is real. I don't understand why studios buy the rights to a book when they are going to create something totally different from the source material. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to shoot the movie and call it a different name?
You can't blame the execs for not wanting an Oscar worthy movie. You see movies that are complete crap make hundreds of millions despite bad reviews (Spider-Man 3, Transformers, Star Wars 1-3). As long as the consumer is willing to drop money on garbage Hollywood will continue to churn out this garbage.

Had a 20 minute conversation with a coworker today, he was completely uninterested in the movie BECAUSE of Brad Pitt... then he saw the trailer as a zombie lover his interest completely faded out.

Did the zombie hoard scenes remind anyone else of the Arachnids from Starship Troopers?[DOUBLEPOST=1352509076][/DOUBLEPOST]
I knew it. I just f***in' knew it. The moment I saw that WWZ was going to be made into a film I was so happy, wanting to see this touching new take on the zombie genre on the silver screen.

But the moment I saw they had Brad Pitt as the lead... I knew this was going to be a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, Pitt's got some solid acting under his belt, but no way would a thoughtful, touching, different kind of a film have the budget to cast him as the protagonist. Not unless he's going to get to blow something up or schtoink a love-starved woman.

I would have loved to see WWZ as a documentary-like film, with a selection of narratives portrayed in flashback (especially the Battle of Hope, the Indian soldier's tale, the Battle of Yonkers and the tale of the Chinese nuclear submarine). But no... we're gonna get the Mid-Afternoon Return of the Fast Dead Revisited #3,781.

Fuck you, Hollywood. Fuck you in the neck.

100% agreed. As soon as Pitt was casted I knew he'd make the damn movie about him moreso than care about the plot. Don't get me wrong, he's a great actor, but his ego is huge.

Did the zombie hoard scenes remind anyone else of the Arachnids from Starship Troopers?[DOUBLEPOST=1352509076][/DOUBLEPOST]

100% agreed. As soon as Pitt was casted I knew he'd make the damn movie about him moreso than care about the plot. Don't get me wrong, he's a great actor, but his ego is huge.
Exactly why he would have made the perfect -Traveling Narrator/Documentor-

So many things I hate about this movie beyond the obvious they didn't give a fuck about the book beyond the name of the movie.

Pitt is a total miscast.
I hate how the preview shows you half the movie.
Hate the fact he's got children to drag with him along with his wife.
Zombies.... what the fuck is that? Horrible CGI, waves of them climbing faster on one another? Faster than 28 days later? What in the fuck?
EVERYTHING

So many things I hate about this movie beyond the obvious they didn't give a fuck about the book beyond the name of the movie.

Pitt is a total miscast.
I hate how the preview shows you half the movie.
Hate the fact he's got children to drag with him along with his wife.
Zombies.... what the fuck is that? Horrible CGI, waves of them climbing faster on one another? Faster than 28 days later? What in the fuck?
EVERYTHING

Yeah, the "wave" is pretty ridiculous. After seeing the trailer again, it's actually more reminiscent of the machine swarm from the Matrix Revolutions than the bugs from Starship Troopers.

I was willing to accept the fact this movie wasn't going to meet expectations. I was willing to accept a mediocre yet watchable movie with some flaws and hope that my love for the books don't ruin my immersion in the movie... but it is a movie about zombies.... these aren't zombies.

C'est la crisse de merde

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This should not have been made into a movie. It should have been made into a mini series, following the documentary format you usually see on the Space Network or the History Channel.

Aside from the fact this movie clearly has absolutely nothing in common with the book, it just plain doesn't look good. I'd be okay with them meandering away from Max Brooks' story if what they did was at least as good, but it really doesn't look like that's the case here. Bloody shame.

Meh, I'll see it probably.

Is it WWZ? No. But I'll gladly see "Zombie Movie starring Brad Pitt"

Yeah, count me into the really shitty zombie CGI department. They look really awful. The scenes with the zombies look like a fan made Left 4 Dead movie.

RIDE THE ZOMBIE WAAAAVE!

Yeah, count me into the really shitty zombie CGI department. They look really awful. The scenes with the zombies look like a fan made Left 4 Dead movie.

RIDE THE ZOMBIE WAAAAVE!

Look at the scene where they're all on the roof-top. The zombie that chases Brad Pitt to the helicopter doesn't even look like a zombie. He looks like a dude wearing make-up.

Shouldn't they wait for this to bomb before deciding it's a trilogy?
We can piss and moan all we want about zombie crowd physics, fast vs. slow zombies, and the virtues of the book over this trailer... but that's just going to be a bunch of nerdy white noise to everyone else. I guarantee this movie is going to be a massive hit.

We can piss and moan all we want about zombie crowd physics, fast vs. slow zombies, and the virtues of the book over this trailer... but that's just going to be a bunch of nerdy white noise to everyone else. I guarantee this movie is going to be a massive hit.

Probably.

I find it funny though. Usually with a trailer for a movie that's doing something different, the fandom is split into a war of it "looks good" and it "looks bad". Dark Knight for example. Here I think everyone is in agreement that this is a neck stomp on a really good novel.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jimmy Fallon and his audience: "Man this new Brad Pitt movie, World War Z, looks awesome!" "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

UGHHHHHHHHHHH. Fuck.

I haven't been this pissed off about anything since I heard Hollywood was planning a Buffy the Vampire slayer reboot movie without Joss Whedon or anyone from the original cast. What a fucking travesty.

So is this basically a Brad Pitt Zombie movie that merely has taken the name of a good book I presume?

I haven't read the WWZ book... and I still think this movie looks like a pile of shit.

The zombie wave is completely stupid. STUPID. It looks completely moronic and unbelievable. Hell, these zombies look like they're FASTER than people. Dumb.

I also love the giant pile of zombies clambering on top of eachother to climb the wall (looks like a ripoff of a certain scene from starship troopers).

BAD CGI IS BAD CGI! Seriously, can we just have some good practical makeup for zombies? I know they can do pretty magical things with latex appliances. Not everything needs to be stupid ass piss poor looking computer graphics.

Couple things about CGI in trailers like this though 1) These are probably not final. The movie isn't out for a bit and even a few weeks/months can have a huge impact on the final look of stuff. 2) Even if it was final there's a good chance it will look way better on the big screen. Even a lot of good cgi looks crappy in a little youtube video.

Couple things about CGI in trailers like this though 1) These are probably not final. The movie isn't out for a bit and even a few weeks/months can have a huge impact on the final look of stuff. 2) Even if it was final there's a good chance it will look way better on the big screen. Even a lot of good cgi looks crappy in a little youtube video.
Why make that part of your debut trailer if it still needs work though? It's the first impression and what people are going to 99% of the time judge you based on.

Necronic

Staff member
I have seen very few movies with Brad Pitt that were bad. Very few. He's not just a pretty face, he's a legitimate actor that knows what he is doing. I am going to hold my derision on the choices made here (like not making it follow the book or having fast zombies) and hope that this movie follows his HIGHLY succesful wheelhouse. I honestly would have a hard time finding an actor that has more consistently come out with GOOD (not just succesful) movies, except for maybe Tom Hanks.

This is the guy that produced:
Kick-Ass
Moneyball
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

And while I think that it's weird, the idea of the "zombie-wave" is kind of interesting, and in all honesty makes a lot more sense than zombies queuing up like a bunch of british pensioners. I mean, they are incredibly simple animals. They think like bugs basically, if even that. They swarm.

GasBandit

Staff member
Troy? Burn After Reading? A River Runs Through It? Cool World? Legends of the (urk, gak) Fall? Kalifornia?

I liked a River Runs Through It.

Fast zombies aren't necessarily bad. In fact, Zombieland is one of my favorite movies. But one thing they kept emphasizing in the book was the fact that zombies are SLOW. They ditched a great script in exchange for a popcorn flick to compete with Iron Man 3.

Will this be a good zombie movie? Yeah, probably. It might even be a great movie. But it's not World War Z. Perhaps one day they'll take Stracynski's script and finally give it a shot.

Why make that part of your debut trailer if it still needs work though? It's the first impression and what people are going to 99% of the time judge you based on.
It happens all the time. Like I said, it's possible that the cgi would look better on a big screen, although I suspect this is just early stages stuff so it wouldn't.