Women think very little of eachother...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Well I was trying to point out how stupid comparing drunk driving and rape is, but apparently that concept is too complex for you. I'll just say it directly then: I can't think of another violent crime where the victims are routinely blamed. When someone is mugged, people don't say that he/she should not have been out that night or walking in that area. They say that mugging is a crime, and no one should be mugged regardless of where they go. When someone is assaulted, say in a domestic abuse case, people don't tell the victim that it's their fault for marrying the wrong man/woman. When someone is gunned down at work by an angry coworker, no one blames the victim saying they should have been nicer or not show up to work. Yet women get blamed for being raped all the time, and I find that both disgusting and outrageous. No matter what someone does, how they dress, or who they invite over for drinks, they should not be raped. It's not their fault at all.

Oh, and as for the retarded strawman "But what if she was drunk that night, and they next say she calls the police because she didn't mean to have sex!" scenario people are tossing about, that's not the point. That is such a rare case it's not worth discussing. Regret is not the same thing as rape, and people know that.

How's that Adammon? Easier to understand?
What are you talking about? People say that all the time! Re: mugging, murder, robbery, you name it.

Cajungal

Staff member
Part of the problem with rape when considering the "should have been careful/should have used common sense" argument is that you're more likely to be raped by someone you know and already trust (or have started to trust, at least). When you're robbed, it's probably going to be by a stranger. You wouldn't go to a friend, new boy/girlfriend, or relative's house wearing a secret money belt just in case they decide to mug you. By the same token, we don't (usually) expect people in our lives to do that kind of thing to us. Sometimes there's suspicion, but we don't want to be paranoid or insulting. But it happens, it happens, and the victim feels vulnerable and humiliated enough without hearing something as cruel and stupid as "she put herself in a bad position, she should take responsibility."

I had to remove myself from the discussion here because of a certain ongoing situation that I'm dealing with but I will say I agree with CG, Fade, TW, etc.

But there are those cases where the victim (like myself) could have exercised better judgment. It doesn't excuse the crime, of course. But some behavior is riskier than others, and it is very helpful to learn recognize the risky behavior and avoid it.
This is why i never leave my underground bunker except for supply runs... the sun, it hurts my eyes.

C

Chazwozel

But there are those cases where the victim (like myself) could have exercised better judgment. It doesn't excuse the crime, of course. But some behavior is riskier than others, and it is very helpful to learn recognize the risky behavior and avoid it.
This is why i never leave my underground bunker except for supply runs... the sun, it hurts my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, see, I think that's more stupid than taking risks.

I

Iaculus

This is why i never leave my underground bunker except for supply runs... the sun, it hurts my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, see, I think that's more stupid than taking risks.[/QUOTE]

Well, isn't that a given? S'pretty obvious he was being sarcastic.

Well, isn't that a given? S'pretty obvious he was being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

He's pointing out the mindset as being stupid. You can discern why.

I

Iaculus

He's pointing out the mindset as being stupid. You can discern why.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but wasn't @li3n doing that too?

Yeah, but wasn't @li3n doing that too?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. He was agreeing. It was against the mindset of "if you take risks, you're responsible for someone else's choices against you." It's part of the topic we're discussing in this forum thread. On Earth.

I

Iaculus

Yeah, but wasn't @li3n doing that too?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. He was agreeing. It was against the mindset of "if you take risks, you're responsible for someone else's choices against you." It's part of the topic we're discussing in this forum thread. On Earth.[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe you are. We sophisticated posters get our own orbital space stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.