Wisconsin is at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time with my very own state Senator Glenn Grothman taking the lead.

Senator Grothman introduced a bill which claims single mothers cause child abuse by not being married. Yes, you read that right. CAUSE.

I'm surprised it took this long for Yahoo to pick this up, honestly. I read about it Friday on the blog of a local university professor.

Dave

Staff member
wut?

What about single fathers? Does this mean that ANY widow is a child abuser simply by being alive?

wut?

What about single fathers? Does this mean that ANY widow is a child abuser simply by being alive?
Right? Does this include widowers? How about divorced couples with new spouses (since it specifically says biological parents)? The whole thing is a huge mess and just blows my mind that this is the guy my county KEEPS ELECTING to represent them.

Oh, just an idea on Grothman's complete delusional view on history- he once told my friend Nick there were no homosexuals when he was in school, there weren't homosexuals before that time, and homosexuality is a modern phenomena.

You know, if he'd just changed the wording from "non-marital parenthood is..." to "non-marital parenthood can be..." this wouldn't be such a big issue for a lot of people. Being a single parent can lead to to child neglect, especially if the parent is working 40 or more hours a week and has more than one child - though I would argue that it's difficult to determine whether the neglect is malicious (as in, mom wants to go party), or benign (as in, mom has to work 3 jobs to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads). Regardless, if the government is going to get involved, shouldn't they be focusing on irresponsible behavior as a whole? There are plenty of two-parent families that abuse and/or neglect their children. There are plenty of single-parent families that don't.

Homosexuality is pretty much a modern phenomena. Especially as a person's identity. Before the 20th century homosexuality was only considered a sexual act in which a person would participate.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat oysters?
Antoninus: When I have them, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat snails?
Antoninus: No, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you consider the eating of oysters to be moral and the eating of snails to be immoral?
Antoninus: No, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Of course not. It is all a matter of taste, isn't it?
Antoninus: Yes, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: And taste is not the same as appetite, and therefore not a question of morals.
Antoninus: It could be argued so, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: My robe, Antoninus. My taste includes both snails and oysters.
Unless that rep is 120 years old... then yes there were gays around when he was in school.

I also love the bit about how it's primarily fathers who prevent abuse. I'd love to see some statistics showing how often child abuse occurs at the hands of the father vs. how often it occurs at the hands of the mother.

Oh Glenn Grothman, you wacky man you! Check out what he said on the Alan Colmes show...

Grothman: There’s been a huge change over the last 30 years and a lot of that change has been the choice of the women. There’s a reason why in the 50s and the 60s you had less than ten percent of the births illegitimate, and now we’re over 40 percent. It’s not that there weren’t abusive men in the 40s or there was a problem with child support. It is the popular culture, led by the social service professions, who are saying…

Colmes: Well tell me what you would change.

Grothman: I think the first thing we do is that we should educate women that this is a mistake.

Colmes: You think women need to be educated, are they not smart enough on their own?

Grothman: They do have to be educated, because right now the culture encourages a single motherhood lifestyle.

Colmes: You think women choose to be single moms…

Grothman: Oh absolutely

Colmes: You think women want to have homes without fathers? You think women look to the opportunity to have to raise kids and not be able to get work because they have to stay home and take care of the kids. Women want to do this?

Grothman: I think a lot of women are adopting the single motherhood lifestyle because the government creates a situation in which it is almost preferred.
….

Colmes: According to data published in USA Today, at least four in ten pregnancies in every state are unwanted or mistimed. According to the analysis that was released last May, more than half of pregnancies in 29 states and the District of Columbia were unintended, 38 to 50 percent were unintended in the remaining states. This mitigates against the argument that women are purposefully wanting to have kids. Their unintended for the most part. They’re unintended pregnancies, which is the argument for health care services and birth control for women.

Grothman: I think you undersell these women.

Colmes: Undersell them?

Grothman: Undersell them. I think when you have an epidemic of this great proportion, people are not so dumb that it’s surprising when they get pregnant. I think people are trained to say that ‘this is a surprise to me,’ because there’s still enough of a stigma that they’re supposed to say this.

Necronic

Staff member
I think someone's just mad that that he's been rejected by women his entire life.

Edit: Holy crap I've looked over his political positions and this guy's nuts. The one that really blew me away was pushing for the removal of water disinfectant facilities.....because it's not like a bunch of people died due to something like tha-OH WAIT.

Necronic

Staff member
Culls are pretty important.

In all seriousness though this is that same kind of blind ideology that flies in the face of real fiscal conservatism that makes my skin crawl. The costs of that outbreak and the real risk and uncertainty that potential outbreaks represent justify the price of maintaining the government facilities.

I don't think education is his strong point.
The way things are going in this state, Education won't be a strong point for most of the "elected officials" in Madison.

Some would argue that entering Dane County does something to your IQ, though. Must be the lakes.

You know what would be awesome? Sending this corrupt bastard to jail. Looks like Governor Walker has started on the road a majority of Illinois Governors have been on and set up a legal defense fund.

Every time I see a picture of this guy I feel my IQ draining.

The nice thing about delivering papers is I see the Journal Sentinel front page early. Made my miserable day a little better. The story on it was fantastic, as are some of the quotes-

Michael Maistelman, an election lawyer who is representing former Walker aide Tim Russell in the John Doe investigation, said people could draw conclusions from Walker's decision to create a defense fund.
"The only way you can set that up is if you are under investigation or being prosecuted," Maistelman said. "One can only draw the conclusion that either one of those two things is happening."
That almost sounds like Russell, who is under investigation, has given information regarding Walker.

You know, if these Tea Partiers were really made of money, they could have found a faster server for their "iVerifytheRecall.com" website.

Status
Not open for further replies.