Wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, some of you may recall that I recently purchased a wireless-g router for work. Today my boss asked how much a wireless-n router would be, because she felt the internet was too slow. I checked, and while her download speed is good (20 Mbps), her upload is roughly half of what the computer hooked up directly to the cable modem is (2.5 Mpbs). Any ideas? The router is a Linksys WRT45GL and her wireless card is a Netgear WG311T

Dave

Staff member
Upload speeds are almost always nerfed. I'd go to dslreports.com and do a speed test, then look at similar setups. If they are different then look at tweeking on their page to see if there's anything you can do.

figmentPez

Staff member
What, specifically, is going slow on the internet for her? Unless she's uploading large files, then her upload speed shouldn't make most internet tasks feel slow.

Are there any other competing wirless networks in your area? Try changing your WiFi channel, and try 1 or 11 to see if either gives you better performance.. Channel 6 is the default for most routers, and all the other channel numbers overlap frequencies to some extent.

GasBandit

Staff member
2.5 Mbit upstream is faster than I get (upstream) on either my cable modem or my DSL.

So, unless this workplace is bundling T3s or something, the problem here is not with the router.

M

Matt²

are there metal file cabinets between or even ALONG the way to her? The signal can bounce off those things and shatter before it gets to her.. 's one possibility...

So, after talking to my boss a bit more, it seems the slowness she was talking about was actually the browser startup time, and not internet speed. :p

I think the reason she wanted a new router is because the cable guy was mocking me in front of her for getting a G-router instead of an N-router, and she figured the delay was due to that. Anyway, thanks for the replies guys, it's much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.