[Question] Windows Update argh

So, every time I want to put my computer to sleep, the button defaults to the shut down/update icon. This usually means the computer has to be shut down to properly install updates, and then it can be put to sleep normally until the next round of updates.

Lately, this icon ALWAYS appears, even if I shut it down and turn it back on five minutes later. This has been going on for over a week. If I manually select the sleep function, the computer powers down, powers up, powers down, over and over on about 10/15 minute cycles. It seems to very.

I'm extremely frustrated with this.

I'm running Windows 7 and it keeps bothering me to update to 10 each time I boot up - which I'm not sure I want to do. But there's a cynical part of me wondering if Windows is intentionally doing this to force me to upgrade. It even told me yesterday that my 'scheduled upgrade' would happen automatically on Monday, but I never fucking scheduled an upgrade. Erg.

Anyways.

Is this a fixable issue? Is it cynically forcing me to upgrade my system?

Dave

Staff member
There are a lot of people complaining about this and as far as I'm aware there are no good answers. It's basically MS making you make the change, IMO.

Is this a fixable issue? Is it cynically forcing me to upgrade my system?
Sort of. Microsoft's efforts to give you the GWX (Get Windows X) app have been getting more and more aggressive, pushing the 3GB or so of install files onto your machine even if you don't want them or if you never plan to use them. I'm running Win7 on my machine, I plan to NEVER upgrade it, and when I can no longer use Win7 I'll build a new machine and keep this one for all my legacy WinXP/Win7-64 stuff. For now I maintain vigilance in making sure never to install any of the "Get Win10" updates.

Possible solution. (there are plenty of others, this was just the first page I found)

--Patrick

Gonna glom onto this old thread instead of making a new one, 'cause it's kinda related...

Tried to force the Windows 10 Creators Update on my HP laptop. It failed, and the updater suggested I... uninstall my BIOS?

Turns out there's a problem with the update and the AMD A10-8700p CPU. No PC with that processor can install the update yet. So it goes.