Whoa.... Ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we really going to start putting up ads on the top part of our forums? The kind that appears on a every single page, ads that ask me if I want to hook up with hot blondes?

Has it really gotten to that point?

GoogleSyndication is now blocked. No more ads now.

Annoying as hell.

Thought Contributors got spared that stuff. :)

Dave

Staff member
GoogleSyndication is now blocked. No more ads now.

Annoying as hell.

Thought Contributors got spared that stuff. :)
I thought they did, too. You know what? Fuck it. I never get money from Google Adsense anyway.

You can place them on the bottom of the site.

What I incorporated on my other forums that I admin is the ability for posters to voluntarily click on badly placed ads and the forums will pickup which logged in users did what and provide them in terms of forum goodies. Limited to once a day and provides them something similar to what you used to have with the forum gift shop.

It generates automatic revenue for the site (almost enough to pay for hosting sometimes more depending on how much we market from month to month), it's an easy way for posters to contribute and it's actually fun.

I'm unsure if XenForo has this option but hey.... useful.

I feel a bit guilty saying this (just cause I know it hurts some sites) but I use adblock plus so I never have to worry about ads

I don't really mind ads except for the semi vague political ones.

OBAMA......not a person?

Ads. Making it take an extra .005 seconds to scroll down a page.

But really, I uninstalled ad-block and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Dave

Staff member
Ah don't feel guilty, guys. I have them on because why not? I try not to let them get too much in the way. Hell, there's a place to put them in as the 2nd post of every thread! Fuck that noise! No way in hell will I do that!

P

pgurney

eh ads don't bother me. I just scroll right on past 'em unless something catches my eye and I have some extra $ to spend.

Dave

Staff member
The biggest issue for me is that lately it feels like the ads aren't the same as they were before. They used to be by content and would mirror or at least try and mirror the topic at hand, but it seems now they are almost arbitrary. For a while they were almost exclusively dating ads.

The biggest issue for me is that lately it feels like the ads aren't the same as they were before. They used to be by content and would mirror or at least try and mirror the topic at hand, but it seems now they are almost arbitrary. For a while they were almost exclusively dating ads.
Even the ads gave up on us cause they know the truth

Reactions: Jay
Status
Not open for further replies.