Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

They were on an app for hooking up. Not sure why you were surprised that they were looking for likeminded people.
Maybe I'm old and out of touch. It's been my experience (in the far past, mind you) that on online sites, women tend to find it refreshing when a guy didn't immediately send dick picks or try to do the fast hookup thing. When I see "just looking for a friend" in the profile, I don't immediately assume "with benefits" is included.

On the other hand, I do find the "must be 6' tall" requirement on so many profiles just as shallow as a if guy put "must have big boobs" on his.

Maybe I'm old and out of touch. It's been my experience (in the far past, mind you) that on online sites, women tend to find it refreshing when a guy didn't immediately send dick picks or try to do the fast hookup thing. When I see "just looking for a friend" in the profile, I don't immediately assume "with benefits" is included.
I think this could be true with some match sites, but I wouldn't think of Tinder as one of them.

I think this could be true with some match sites, but I wouldn't think of Tinder as one of them.
Yeah, some sites like OKCupid or Parship or whatever are more for "looking for a relationship", so women there will be happy not to get the "send bobs and vagene" within 5 seconds. While I know Tinder claims it's also for relationships, almost everyone I know who uses it regularly will admit it's more for casual hookups than for something deeper. It's not quite as "bad" as Grindr but still.

So, we bought this house almost three years ago knowing it needed work. That said, since then:
  • Had to paint all rooms including basement
  • All new flooring including basement
  • Lights installed in every room
  • All new toilets
  • All new sinks
  • All new faucets
  • Replaced every doorknob and hinge
  • Replaced every towel bar
  • Replaced every light fixture
  • New roof (this week)
  • New driveway (this week)
  • All kitchen cabinets stained
  • All new counters in kitchen (last week)
  • New water heater
  • New water softener
  • New water filter
Like, I knew it needed work. I didn't know that every penny I made would have to be poured into it. I guess on the bright side is that there is literally not much more left in the house to be replaced.

So, we bought this house almost three years ago knowing it needed work. That said, since then:
  • Had to paint all rooms including basement
  • All new flooring including basement
  • Lights installed in every room
  • All new toilets
  • All new sinks
  • All new faucets
  • Replaced every doorknob and hinge
  • Replaced every towel bar
  • Replaced every light fixture
  • New roof (this week)
  • New driveway (this week)
  • All kitchen cabinets stained
  • All new counters in kitchen (last week)
  • New water heater
  • New water softener
  • New water filter
Like, I knew it needed work. I didn't know that every penny I made would have to be poured into it. I guess on the bright side is that there is literally not much more left in the house to be replaced.
So re-seeding the lawn, replacing the kitchen appliances, a new garage door, and replacing the windows are your plans for the coming weeks/months, right?
:awesome:

I had a minor Covid scare last week and got time off work to get tested (minor cold went around my vaccinated family, just an abundance of caution) and now that I got a taste of a week off... I really don't want to go back. I keep thinking how I could dive back into freelancing and go months without an income if I really had to before having to reapply if desperate.

In a huge twist of irony, our director, who would be the first person to insist on having "Good COVID behavior" has come down with COVID. Now, I do believe she was vaccinated (as it IS a requirement for our clinic), but the rumor-mills says she was aware of her sickness by at least last Friday and brushed it off as not possibly being COVID. She even came to school yesterday and abruptly left (probably when she got the results) and a "deep cleaning" notice was attached to her office door. Well there's certainly a few people upset, most notably a classmate who recently gave birth and has an underweight baby at home. So, that's...hrm. Yeah, it's going to be an interesting week.

Last edited:
A podcast I've been listening to since 2004 has just announced it's main host is leaving the show. It's bummer. Been listening most of my adult life. It's going to be weird not hearing his voice every Wednesday.

GasBandit

Staff member
So you either took three damage or you destroyed an artifact

I was trimming my rosebushes and decided a small tree also could do with some pruning. Little did I realize there was a yellowjacket nest in the top of this tree. As my pruning shook the branches, they came bursting out, pissed as hell. One flew right at my face and the only thing that stopped me from being stung, I am sure, is that I reflexively tossed my head forward, so it bounced off my hair (kind of a Red October "Close the distance before it can arm itself" situation). But I knew that bought me like a half second, so I turned to run. And my fat ass slipped on my tile patio and faceplanted HARD after 4 steps or so, and skidded for a good couple feet. I have bumps and scrapes fortunately, and managed to not get stung. But owie.

GasBandit

Staff member
You paint a picture that made me laugh.
In retrospect I'm sure my security cam footage could make finals in America's Funniest Home Videos.

Also, rewatching it, I had forgotten I was carrying a big pair of gardening shears, and I'm very lucky I didn't fall on them.

Last edited:
In retrospect I'm sure my security cam footage could make finals in America's Funniest Home Videos.

Also, rewatching it, I had forgotten I was carrying a big pair of gardening shears, and I'm very lucky I didn't fall on them.
You may have inadvertently solved the death of John "Stumpy" Pepys.

Can't sleep. Again. My sleeping schedule is completely fucked up. I'm spending all my free time either sleeping or in front of my computer, usually playing games. Not exercising. Eating badly. I just...I just don't care anymore. I don't have anything in my life. No love life, no social life, no hobbies I can say I really "enjoy" anymore. I feel the odd pressure or minor pain my chest and I'm just hoping it's a heart attack in the waiting so I can just die.

I keep calling into work and I keep thinking of just quitting because I can't stand the idea of dealing with any more angry customers who take all their frustrations out on me. The last time I missed a significant amount of time, someone from the company (can't remember what department she works in) suggested I take a temporary paid leave of absence, filing it as a short-term disability leave. I...might do that. But I also don't see the point if I'm not doing anything to help myself. I'm not seeing or talking to any counselors. The only meds I take are for ADHD, and ironically, I keep forgetting to take it.

I think a short term disability would be a good idea if they’re suggesting it and supporting you to try it. It would give you time to see your doctor to get new meds to try and work on getting some rest.

I know it’s not the same, but taking my long term disability was the best thing I could have done. I wish I had gone much sooner.

The only meds I take are for ADHD, and ironically, I keep forgetting to take it.
This is unfortunately so true.
addled.jpg

I don't know how ADHD meds interact with (untreated) depression, I'm not a doctor or pharmacist. But it sounds like something to ask the next time you have to go in. Here in the USA, ADHD meds are HEAVILY REGULATED and so you are not allowed to possess more than one month's supply at a time, which means you have to contact your doctor every single month to renew your prescription and therefore have plenty of opportunity to discuss such things. I have no idea whether things are the same where you live.

--Patrick

I hate studying for dental boards. It's cramming everything I've learned in the last 3 years or so into a study period of about 6 weeks. Worst still, it's been a while since I've been in "academic" mode, so it's hard to concentrate and I find myself ta king one too many breaks. I have about 180 videos to watch and 3000+ cards to review. Wish me luck.

I hate studying for dental boards. It's cramming everything I've learned in the last 3 years or so into a study period of about 6 weeks. Worst still, it's been a while since I've been in "academic" mode, so it's hard to concentrate and I find myself ta king one too many breaks. I have about 180 videos to watch and 3000+ cards to review. Wish me luck.
A whole lot of good luck!

My daughter wants to be Harley Quinn for Halloween (parenting win). But now I need to buy two pairs of $35 shoes because Harley can't wear a pair of a single color.
Course this just shows how dedicated I am to helping her achieve a pretty accurate costume.
My take: is she going to wear the shoes past Halloween? If not, I'd just buy one pair and two small cans of spray paint. Tape up the shoe's soles, do one in one color and do the other in the other. This works great for gloves too, if you wanna mis-match them.

Then again, the tape and spray paint might actually cost as much as the shoes, now that I think about it :p

My daughter wants to be Harley Quinn for Halloween (parenting win). But now I need to buy two pairs of $35 shoes because Harley can't wear a pair of a single color.
Course this just shows how dedicated I am to helping her achieve a pretty accurate costume.
How about getting a pair of white canvas sneakers and color them with textile colors. Should also be a lot healthier than spray paint.

My take: is she going to wear the shoes past Halloween? If not, I'd just buy one pair and two small cans of spray paint. Tape up the shoe's soles, do one in one color and do the other in the other. This works great for gloves too, if you wanna mis-match them.

Then again, the tape and spray paint might actually cost as much as the shoes, now that I think about it :p
I think she will wear them after Halloween. So it's fine.