Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I can no longer pay with paypal or credit card for games in my favorite store. For some reason, they only take something called safetypay.

Sydney is blowing up with COVID days before we are booked to fly there. Today they went into a week-long lockdown, forcing us to change flights and skip Sydney altogether. We're out the money for the flight, 50% of the hotel money, and the Hamilton (Australia cast) tickets. It is easily over a thousand AUD down the drain. It sucks but it doesn't break the bank or anything, especially considering the good fortune we've had with the house we are buying and furniture, gadgets, etc. that are coming along with it.

Sydney is blowing up with COVID days before we are booked to fly there. Today they went into a week-long lockdown, forcing us to change flights and skip Sydney altogether. We're out the money for the flight, 50% of the hotel money, and the Hamilton (Australia cast) tickets. It is easily over a thousand AUD down the drain. It sucks but it doesn't break the bank or anything, especially considering the good fortune we've had with the house we are buying and furniture, gadgets, etc. that are coming along with it.
And we just got the Hamilton tickets refunded! That takes the sting out a bit.

Girl I've been chatting to for about a week hasn't replied in over 24 hours. She might just be busy or she might of ghosted me.
Neither is really that frustrating or anything but it's on my mind so I thought I'd whine.

Last edited:
Just sent off a sort-of-frustrated mail to my manager.
Did some calculating. I'm currently averaging 123 cases per week I'm doing support for company A (every other week, the other weeks I'm doing company B). My next best colleague's at 84, then a couple around 65-70, and on the bottom end one with 50 and one with 35.
All of those except the 84 one, are in higher pay grades (as in, 15% more net) than me and are supposedly seniors "because of the numbers". Some of them refuse to support company B, some don't take mails, some....just prefer doing World of Tanks instead of work? I guess? I mean, I spend an hour or more a day here during working hours, I eat during working hours so I can use my lunch break to walk the dog, and I' the one attending most interdepartmental meetings because they can't be bothered.
Guys, up my pay or convince these other guys to pick up the slack, or I WILL be leaving in a while. And frankly, I doubt they could find another idiot to match my level.

Just attempted to go biking after feeling depressed pretty much all week, but especially in the last few days.

Got maybe 2 minutes into biking and one of my pedals broke in half.

Why do I fucking bother doing anything?
I hear you brother. I intended to never go outside for the next week or so but of course my shed door decided to stop working properly and I had to fix it in the heat if I didn't want fucking squirrels and shit making homes in there like they did with my old shed. Thanks. Today? TODAY?

I was only out there for 30 minutes and I'm sunburnt and so ruined physically I want to lie in a cold tub of water and expire.

Haven't slept. Eco-anxiety, depression, and unhealthy thoughts are keeping me up. And now my cat is throwing up several times. He's not getting better.

And I have to work tomorrow for the first time in 9 days (post-vacation). And I just domt know what to do anymore.

And on top of all that, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I've been reading old conversations and posts from ten frigging years ago regarding my ex at the time (who used to post on here semi-frequently). I don't know why I'm doing that, but it's bugging me I can't find the post where we broke up. Because I assumed I would have ranted about that back then.

At the vet and I'm...probably going to put him down. He's barely eating and doesn't seem to be improving at all.

They checked his kidney levels. I don't fully understand the numbers, but they've all increased significantly since last time. SDMA up from 15 to 37 (normal is 0-14), CREA is up from 258 to 586 (normal is 71-212). UREA is up from 14 to 23 (normal is 5.7-12.9)

Mom's currently on the way for support.

At the vet and I'm...probably going to put him down. He's barely eating and doesn't seem to be improving at all.

They checked his kidney levels. I don't fully understand the numbers, but they've all increased significantly since last time. SDMA up from 15 to 37 (normal is 0-14), CREA is up from 258 to 586 (normal is 71-212). UREA is up from 14 to 23 (normal is 5.7-12.9)

Mom's currently on the way for support.
My condolences, man. I wish I could think of anything else to say that might relieve some of your pain.

I'm so sorry to hear it, Nick. You did everything you could and now you're giving him one last act of care. It may not feel like it, but you are.

I’m sorry you’re having to do this Nick. It’s tough on all people that have furry family. What you are going through sucks, but it is the kindest, most humane and caring thing you can do for him. You have helped him have the best possible life you could help give him, and this last thing is hospice and allowing him to move on with as little pain as possible from his worn out body. Hugs to you my friend.

Goodbye Diomedes
I'm sorry it had to come to this, Nick. I was really hoping the meds/care and attention would allow the two of you to spend at least another 2-3yrs together. I know EXACTLY how difficult it can be when you're forced to choose to give up a little buddy, especially when it happens to coincide with other unpleasant events going on in your life. But I feel like the relationship would not have been pleasant for either of you if it truly looked like those additional 2-3yrs were ones that could only be filled with ever-increasing frustration and pain.

--Patrick

I'm sorry it had to come to this, Nick. I was really hoping the meds/care and attention would allow the two of you to spend at least another 2-3yrs together. I know EXACTLY how difficult it can be when you're forced to choose to give up a little buddy, especially when it happens to coincide with other unpleasant events going on in your life. But I feel like the relationship would not have been pleasant for either of you if it truly looked like those additional 2-3yrs were ones that could only be filled with ever-increasing frustration and pain.

--Patrick
We talked about the option of putting him on an IV again overnight. But they said if he's barely eating or drinking now, there's almost no guarantee he'll be back to "normal" once I get him home again. Or that he'd be right back on an IV in another week from now.

I've been crying pretty much all day. I took a few naps (because I got no sleep) and every time I woke up, I reached out on the bed, thinking he would be there. And it's just...it's not fair. It all happened so fast and I'm blaming myself because I don't know if there was anything I could have done to make him at least better for another few years. But even the vet said that I did more for him than a lot of cat owners would have done.

Dave

Staff member
We talked about the option of putting him on an IV again overnight. But they said if he's barely eating or drinking now, there's almost no guarantee he'll be back to "normal" once I get him home again. Or that he'd be right back on an IV in another week from now.

I've been crying pretty much all day. I took a few naps (because I got no sleep) and every time I woke up, I reached out on the bed, thinking he would be there. And it's just...it's not fair. It all happened so fast and I'm blaming myself because I don't know if there was anything I could have done to make him at least better for another few years. But even the vet said that I did more for him than a lot of cat owners would have done.
Remember a few years ago when he was having issues? You swallowed your pride and asked for help, which we all freely gave. Frankly, most people would have done it then because of the money. You gave him those happy years. You have nothing to feel guilty about.

I'm so sorry, Nick.

I'm sure you are the best person Diomedes could have had as his human.

It all happened so fast and I'm blaming myself because I don't know if there was anything I could have done to make him at least better for another few years. But even the vet said that I did more for him than a lot of cat owners would have done.
I recently (December 2020 and January 2021) lost two of my cats to kidney disease. You did everything you could for him, believe me. With feline kidney disease, once they reach the end, they go downhill so fast. It's so heartbreaking.

Diomedes was so lucky to have such a caring human. You gave him the best care and, in the end, the best gift you could. <hugs>

it's not fair. It all happened so fast and I'm blaming myself because I don't know if there was anything I could have done to make him at least better for another few years. But even the vet said that I did more for him than a lot of cat owners would have done.
When I lived in an apartment complex in the mid-90's, another tenant (don't know which) had a cat they would let outside. She (I think?) was a friendly enough tabby who was maybe 4-6yrs old and would come by for pets and skritches, kind of like a neighbor who drops by to chat while on their daily walk. At some point, the owners just...moved. The cat, however, was still here. We could not take it in because we were already struggling financially plus we were over the apartment's limit of one cat per apartment (we had two but since they were both black, nobody knew we had two shhhh), and nobody else seemed interested in claiming it. We would duo what we could to leave out dry cat food for it and we would still say our hellos, but Fall turned to Winter and still nobody appeared to be taking it in.
And then I come home one snowy evening to find it crying in the bushes near the entrance, unable to walk. I get a towel to wrap it up and the (ex-)GF and I take an unhappy, blustery trip to the local Humane Society/animal hospital where they tell us it's probably a broken hip from being hit by a car in the parking lot, and it's gonna be $$$ to get it fixed up... or they can put it down for free if we want to surrender her as a stray, and because fixing her up would literally mean financial ruin for the both of us, I hand her over to strangers to be put down... and she starts wailing again and pees the towel, probably in fear, and the xGF and I go home with a wet towel and wet faces and broken hearts and our heads full of murderous thoughts for her previous so-called "owners."

Nick, when it comes to Diomedes, you did PLENTY.
And good on ya for doing so. You may have had your troubles, but Diomedes was not one of them.

--Patrick

Look, I know seeing my avatar might not be the best reminder right now but even Casey would agree you did the right thing.

And I know exactly what you're going through. We had the option of doing dialysis with the cat prior to Casey, and there was absolutely no guarantee she'd live through it. It didn't help that it would mean she'd be down in Madison, three hours away from us. The best thing was to make her comfortable, spend time with her, then...

...awww dammit I can't even type the rest without tearing up...
Post automatically merged:

CASEY: "(Mrow) Only one thing for you to do then. Get another kitty."

I...thought about that. And I might. But I'm definitely not there yet.
I know exactly how you feel, Nick. I had to put my dog Molly down a few years ago, and I had already decided I wasn't going to get another dog. Then this adolescent dog got abandoned on my street and just wouldn't go away, so I decided ok, I'll feed you until I find someone to take you, but you can't stay here. I was very resistant and reluctant.

The big doofus sleeps in my bed now and I can't imagine life without him.

I...thought about that. And I might. But I'm definitely not there yet.
I'm of the personal opinion (which is worth at least two farts!) that you (as in the general "you", not you you) should always wait a while before getting another pet after one dies, or get it well before so the two have cohabited for a while.
Whatever new pet you may or may not end up with, even if it's green-eyed tiger-striped short-hair with an attitude, will never be Diomedes. Trying to make another cat/dog/weasel/nine-banded armadillo be a surrogate isn't fair to them, and it isn't healthy for you. Mourn the friend and pet you lost, give it time not to heal but at least to scab over a bit...and when the time is right, when you do become someone else's human, they're a completely separate animal, with their own good and bad points. No matter what, of course you'll compare. And almost as certainly, in the beginning, a lot of it will be "Diomedes did this better/nicer/longer/faster/smarter". All of that is normal...but when that time comes, you have to be open to different animals being different, and even that in some ways the new pet may be "better" than Diomedes (I dunno, maybe their farts'll smell less or something).

Mourning the loss of a 16-year family friend and one of the creatures you're closest to takes time and deserves to be given the time it needs.
And since you will most definitely encounter people saying "why are you so upset? It's just an animal", let me beat them to the punch and say "Fuck them" ahead of time. A cat out in the field catching mice that you see once a week may be "just an animal" (and even so deserves love and affection and mourning!), a house pet is a family member. Or they're just subhuman idiots who aren't capable of emotions.

I'm of the personal opinion (which is worth at least two farts!) that you (as in the general "you", not you you) should always wait a while before getting another pet after one dies, or get it well before so the two have cohabited for a while.
Whatever new pet you may or may not end up with, even if it's green-eyed tiger-striped short-hair with an attitude, will never be Diomedes. Trying to make another cat/dog/weasel/nine-banded armadillo be a surrogate isn't fair to them, and it isn't healthy for you. Mourn the friend and pet you lost, give it time not to heal but at least to scab over a bit...and when the time is right, when you do become someone else's human, they're a completely separate animal, with their own good and bad points. No matter what, of course you'll compare. And almost as certainly, in the beginning, a lot of it will be "Diomedes did this better/nicer/longer/faster/smarter". All of that is normal...but when that time comes, you have to be open to different animals being different, and even that in some ways the new pet may be "better" than Diomedes (I dunno, maybe their farts'll smell less or something).

Mourning the loss of a 16-year family friend and one of the creatures you're closest to takes time and deserves to be given the time it needs.
And since you will most definitely encounter people saying "why are you so upset? It's just an animal", let me beat them to the punch and say "Fuck them" ahead of time. A cat out in the field catching mice that you see once a week may be "just an animal" (and even so deserves love and affection and mourning!), a house pet is a family member. Or they're just subhuman idiots who aren't capable of emotions.

I'm only replying so I can agree with this post again.

Big hugs to you @ThatNickGuy, losing a family member is never easy. :heart:

I'm sorry @ThatNickGuy. You could always tell how much you cared for him and I loved when you shared pictures of his time with you

I guess I'll be the dissenter here and say in regards to thinking about getting another pet, by all means, give yourself time to grieve. Of course, you are owed that and so is he.

For me after losing our cat Oliver when he was hit by a car, suddenly coming home to the empty, quiet house was a drain and put me into a pretty bad funk that I wasn't able to shake until we finally decided it was time to look into getting another pet. Ezra was never brought into our home as a replacement for losing Oliver but having him there 4 months later and the prep to getting him did help occupy my mind during that time. Don't rush into it, I'm not saying you would. Don't feel guilty if it is what you ultimately decide, I'm not saying others are wrong to suggest otherwise or are trying to make you feel bad that that's where your mind might be wandering.

Just wanted to provide another side.

Last edited:
We lost our Strider last year to cancer and it was rough. She was in bad shape and it happened so quickly.

A while after, we decided to put our names on a waiting list and we expected a kitten about a year later. We felt that would be a good amount of time for us to wait.

Due to covid or fate, our place on the list came up way sooner than expected and we were matched in January for pick up in March. I text her often with updates and to thank her for matching us with him.