Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

*customer chats in about something*

Me: "I can certainly discuss that with you. What services do you have with us?"

Customer: "Yes."

Me: "That...wasn't a yes or no question. WHAT services do you have with us?"

Customer: "Yes."

Me: *slams head on desk*

In cases like you describe, where you clarify yet they just keep at it, I immediately switch to “This person may be deliberately trolling” mode. This means A) I assume they are recording the interaction, and B) I flat-out ignore every attempt they make to tweak/piss me off, depriving them of that satisfaction.

—Patrick

In cases like you describe, where you clarify yet they just keep at it, I immediately switch to “This person may be deliberately trolling” mode. This means A) I assume they are recording the interaction, and B) I flat-out ignore every attempt they make to tweak/piss me off, depriving them of that satisfaction.

—Patrick

Actually it could be a language deficiency. I could imagine a language learner not getting the full gist of the sentence and simply believing you are asking if you provide services to them. In this case, I would likely say something like are you calling about X, Y, or Z? before I assume I'm being trolled.

I luckily don't get chats directly from customers.
I do, however, get chats from Indian support, who have a customer on their other chat. I assure you, the amount of miscommunication and simply non-communication going on there is...something else.

Actually it could be a language deficiency.
Oh, I don’t assume that they ARE trolling, just that they COULD be, and so I am putting myself on heightened alert against being manipulated into anything that could end up in a Jackass-style YouTube video or the like.

—Patrick

—Patrick
I don't think he was trolling so much as not reading. I found his account and his date of birth was in the 40s. So, yeah.

One of my coworkers is eating some REALLY nice-smelling donuts, and I really want donuts now.

I wonder if I could convince him to just let me sniff his donuts until I'm sated.

I didn’t sleep last night as my headache and fever seem to be back. Our son and I were really sick last week and early this week and I thought I was over it. I felt ok but tired Wednesday and better yesterday until about the last hour I worked.

Fuckers.
My hours are now being cut back to 50% as of July 1.

The peeps in charge finally did the financial examination they should have done years ago, and decided they can only afford half-time staff.

Happy Easter to me.
Lemonade making time I guess.

The reduction in hours isn't official yet, but I have started trying to figure out what to do with the other 50% of my week... and that has led me to looking at Doctorate degrees (something I have wanted to do for years). I have preliminary inquiries into three schools, have set up phone conversations with two of them, and have gone through the hassle of getting copies of my two Master's degree transcripts sent to me so when those are inevitably needed, I've got them.

I am both excited and utterly terrified.

I've joined an online university that requires getting CompTIA A+, CompTIA Project+, CIW User Interface Designer, Oracle Database SQL, and ITIL1 Foundation certs as part of the degree program. I'm a bit nervous myself.

Just got a bag of 10 magnetic door latches today from Wallyworld* Online. Object of the purchase was to finally get some of our cabinet doors in the kitchen so they stay shut.

Opened the bag when I got in and discovered the hardware was in there, but... no screws.

No screws??? I thought maybe this was a mistake on the seller's part, and went back into the description to see if this was the case.

Nope:
(The hardware screws are not included in the package)
(Bang head on desk)

Go back out, over to Homer's Place* across the street. Got 6# x 3/4 inch wood screws, flat head.

Yeah, the heads are too big to fit into the recess of the metal plates. :facepalm:

Fortunately, I don't need these doors to lock shut; I just need them to stay closed instead of hang partly open, so it's good for now.

Wallyworld = Wal-mart
Homer's Place = Home Depot

Last edited:
I am still grateful for both my wife and I having jobs during these crazy times... but man... the work I'm doing right now is so stressful with so little payoff it's killing me. I dread going to work every morning and I secretly wish a meteor would obliterate the work site some days so I could move onto something else.

Haven't seen my daughter in person since March due to the Covid-19 stay home orders. I'm scheduled three face-times with her a week so at least I get that.
It sucks but it's for the best right now.
Last thing we did together was see Onward in theaters.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
So I fucked up. I had the best of intentions, but it backfired in my face.

Our friend, Zach, needed to go to training until May 14 and needed someone to foster his dog for a couple weeks. He's helped us out before so we said yes. Turns out I completely misunderstood the issue.

His dog, Apollo, is a boxer-staffordshire mix. Or at least that's what the humane society told him. But they are notoriously bad at identifying breeds. Like really bad, strangely enough. This dog is almost certainly pit bull. And the reason he needs it fostered? It bit his girlfriend's son. It has food aggression and the 2 year old tried to take Apollo's bone. Snap. Didn't break the skin so it wasn't an all-out attack, merely a warning nip. But the father of the child RIGHTLY says that his kid can't live in the same apartment as this dog until the dog has been trained. So the DOG goes into training on May 14. His choice was to either give the dog away, put the dog down, or the girlfriend moves out.

This dog and my dog do NOT get along. My dog is very laid back and this dog is aggressively curious. He doesn't attack my dog, just lunges at her to play. And my dog freaks out, which causes the growling to start. So for the next THREE WEEKS I'm going to be living in the basement with this dog. He's a nice dog, but we have to keep them separated.

My quarantine just went on hard mode.

Dave

Staff member
Just got word from my (biological) sister Diane. My biological mom has just been placed on hospice. Been a bad couple of months to be titled Dave's Mom.

I spend a lot of my time at work trying to clarify what users are requesting. I have one multiple offender that keeps turning in the requests in the wrong way. I had her contact the group that could teach her how to correct her ways. Then instead contacts a person that was driven from the position two fucking years ago and did the request that same wrong way. This is like 6 times in 6 months.

I am tired of having to put out her fires.

Mom's surgery went well and she's resting. Comfortably is another matter. :)

(She's still in pain, but feeling a lot better than before.)

I'm getting sick and tired of the uncertainty for regular old people amidst Corona.
I'm getting married in August. According to current rules, even my parents won't be allowed to be there - just witnesses and the officiator.
Chances of the wedding party going ahead are close to nill, sure, fine.
Will we be able to have 50 people for a dinner? Will people be allowed to come to City Hall for the official part? Who knows!
Oh, cinemas are re-opening, all stores are re-opening in two week,s schools are opening up, and everybody can return to work in 2 weeks.
But weddings or funerals? Sorry, 5 people max.

MAKES NO SENSE EXCEPT if you think economy and work are the only important bits in life. Idiots.

Just got word from my (biological) sister Diane. My biological mom has just been placed on hospice. Been a bad couple of months to be titled Dave's Mom.
Dave: I wish my mom would just die already instead of circling the drain

*monkey's paw finger begins to curl*

I've never had a problem with my iPhones holding a charge, but this is the second one of my mom's to have an issue with immediately discharging the battery. Both have been since she went to a nursing home full time, so there's that to consider.

In any case, this time her phone crapped out *right* as she went to the hospital for surgery. AND today's her birthday. AND AND she's not allowed visitors because of the other current situation. :(

Li-ion batteries in general don't crater like that unless they get left empty for too long, get cooked, or get too cold.
...or unless the person in question accidentally installs a mining app or profile because they tapped on something they shouldn't have just because it screamed, "Tap OK for your senior discounts!" or some junk.

Or maybe she just has her screen set to never turn off? Lotta people do that one, too. iPhones are supposed to have a battery graph that shows which apps used the most battery, and what the charge level was like over the last 24hrs, you should be able to track it down.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Going to contact the owner of the dog tonight. We'll keep him until they find another place for him, but he just can't stay any more. He attacked our dog today because I petted her and he was jealous/possessive. I've broken him of his food aggression for the most part, but this kind of aggression is very hard to defeat and I don't have the time or resources to do it. He's getting his professional help in May, but I'm not putting my dog in danger to do i. So right now either my dog is a prisoner in her own home or he's locked in the basement away from the other animals. He'd be great in a single-animal house, but he can't be with other dogs until he's been trained.

By the way, my dog is fine. This dog was on a leash at the time and I got him reigned in, but my dog still got bit.