Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

After dropping off my rent check, I continued my drive down a 2-lane road instead of the interstate to a Walmart the next town over...

Me to my sister: it's easy to not spend money when they're out of EVERYTHING I'm looking for.

Sis: God's way of telling you to eat healthy.

Me: You can't eat a keyboard. :p

After dropping off my rent check, I continued my drive down a 2-lane road instead of the interstate to a Walmart the next town over...

Me to my sister: it's easy to not spend money when they're out of EVERYTHING I'm looking for.

Sis: God's way of telling you to eat healthy.

Me: You can't eat a keyboard. :p
Sure you can, it's just a matter of conviction and perseverance. And not minding some dental work, probably.

Dave

Staff member
Doggy dog now has a muzzle that he's going to wear when not in the basement. We talked to the owner and the dog has nowhere to go. So it's either muzzle and keep him or he would have to surrender the dog.

Doggy dog now has a muzzle that he's going to wear when not in the basement. We talked to the owner and the dog has nowhere to go. So it's either muzzle and keep him or he would have to surrender the dog.
That is a rough situation and you’re an excellent friend for helping.

As I've mentioned a couple of times over the last week or so, I had a job interview with a tech company that wants to poach me from my current company, a translation place.

The first interview with my (would-be) direct supervisor went fairly well, so I'm probably going to get a second interview, which will be with the company higher-ups and HR. I don't even know if I want to go to that company yet, there were certainly a few things I learned about how they operate that would require some personal adjustment on my end, and their physical location sucks. But it's an intriguing opportunity, not least because they can likely pay me more.

The whine here, though, is that now that my head has been turned, I've found that my work quality has suffered. I am less patient with the new guy in my department when he screws up, I am letting more errors through in my own editing and thus getting angry customer feedback, I've allowed certain less-essential tasks to pile up, etc. It's like part of my brain has checked out already, as if it's thinking, "I'm not going to be here anymore in a few weeks so who cares?"

This is bad because firstly it's simply unprofessional to be behaving like this, secondly because I haven't even gotten the job at that other company yet, and thirdly because I'm just making my own life harder for the time I have left here, because I still need to guide the underperforming colleague, mollify the angry clients, deal with that pile of unfinished tasks, etc.

Anyway, just whining that I really need to find some way to crack on and get this shit done, no matter what happens.

Ugh, all-nighters are the worst.
This is what happens when someone emails you a project due in 60hrs an hour after you've punched out, and you have the next day off so you go almost 48hrs before you finally get around to checking your email again aaaarrrrgghhh.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Another unexpected consequence of the foster dog. He has to stay in the basement. Where we keep the litter box for the two cats. One cat in completely unconcerned and uses it anyway. The other cat has gotten creative in her places to do her business. So we now have a new litter box upstairs and are looking for the places where she got creative.

Another unexpected consequence of the foster dog. He has to stay in the basement. Where we keep the litter box for the two cats. One cat in completely unconcerned and uses it anyway. The other cat has gotten creative in her places to do her business. So we now have a new litter box upstairs and are looking for the places where she got creative.
This friend owes you. What, I don’t know, but this is above and beyond.

Cat urine fluoresces under a black light.

So do other things but we won't talk about those.

GasBandit

Staff member
I hated that line. You really think he’d know what the fuck that was? Or even better, the person he was talking to?
Hey, thanks to Peanuts, I knew who Andrew Wyeth was at like age 6. I didn't understand why that was supposed to be funny until many years later, though.

End of another week. Thank Christ.

What is it about call center work that is just so mentally draining? Like, I'm just sitting in front of a computer, but I spend literally day arguing with customers and getting yelled at. And it's just SO. FUCKING. TIRING.

Me: "Finally, weekend is here. I can sleep in for awh...."
Diomedes: "Human. Human, wake up! I must be fed, human!"
Me: "Oh piss off, cat! It's 6:30!" *rolls over*
Diomedes: "Human! HUMAN! HUMAN!"
Me: "Sigh. Goddammit."

(It's okay to laugh at this one.)

Me: "Finally, weekend is here. I can sleep in for awh...."
Diomedes: "Human. Human, wake up! I must be fed, human!"
Me: "Oh piss off, cat! It's 6:30!" *rolls over*
Diomedes: "Human! HUMAN! HUMAN!"
Me: "Sigh. Goddammit."

(It's okay to laugh at this one.)
But afterwards, you can snuggle back into bed with fishbreath razorclaw mcFartie ball of fur, and that makes it all worthwhile!

End of another week. Thank Christ.

What is it about call center work that is just so mentally draining? Like, I'm just sitting in front of a computer, but I spend literally day arguing with customers and getting yelled at. And it's just SO. FUCKING. TIRING.
I get you. Vodafone customer support for telephone and internet. No mobil, thank god. For 4 damn years. Thanks to the stupidity and verbal abuse I had to deal with I got health problems that ended in a burnout. I don't miss any of it.

I think I'm more depressed than I was willing to believe. I've been lonely, isolated, the weather hasn't been great to go walking or especially biking, I'm eating horribly, gaining weight, and becoming increasingly irritable with every irate customer I deal with while working.

This this and that. Doing that job in this situation is the last thing you should be doing right now. And that is so very much NOT your fault. If your brain tries to tell you it is, I'mma gonna be punching your brain in the mouth.

Dealing with customers in retail can be incredibly draining and exasperating.
Arguably more draining in this case, since it's call center work. I don't know if studies have been done, but having worked in other facets of customer service, it always feels like call center work is uniquely more emotionally draining. I can't explain why.

Arguably more draining in this case, since it's call center work. I don't know if studies have been done, but having worked in other facets of customer service, it always feels like call center work is uniquely more emotionally draining. I can't explain why.
I imagine part of it is that you are a faceless being that they don't have to look at.

I imagine part of it is that you are a faceless being that they don't have to look at.
Yep. As I ranted before, I spend probably 80-90% of my time arguing with customers over shit about my company that I have absolutely no control over. And because I have no control over it or can't immediately fix the problem, they take it out on me.

So I'm basically verbally abused 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Yep. As I ranted before, I spend probably 80-90% of my time arguing with customers over shit about my company that I have absolutely no control over. And because I have no control over it or can't immediately fix the problem, they take it out on me.

So I'm basically verbally abused 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
As one customer service guy to another, the best thing you can do is keep your cool, even as they're losing theirs.

As one customer service guy to another, the best thing you can do is keep your cool, even as they're losing theirs.
Which is itself incredibly draining.
It's work that constantly drains willpower and leaves you physically not tired (and probably tense and wound up), mentally exhausted, and without any willpower to do anything positive.
Depending on your personality, you may get energy out of going out with people, or sitting quietly in a corner with a book, or doing relaxing exercises, or doing exhausting sports to push yourself - but whichever it is, after being drained like that you usually lack the energy to do that, instead just wanting to sleep/binge/drink/pig out/whatever is unhealthiest for you.
And even if you can muster the energy, currently a lot of things aren't allowed.
Heck, I'm an introvert, but since ice been working from home, I've left the house once in two weeks...and um seriously starting to feel it.

With my health issues, I usually stay close to home and I’ve accepted that it’s now my new normal.

What’s happening now is not at all normal and while I think I’ve been dealing with it ok, today has been hard and I don’t know why.