Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Dave

Staff member
I was waiting for a little extra money before buying a new washing machine, but apparently it wants to escape the house. I only wanted one year without having to buy anything costing more than $500.
Dude I feel this so very much. Every time we get a little extra cash something major fucks up. Ooh! Got a gig that pays $500? Guess whose car is breaking down? Wife gets a bonus at work? The dishwasher starts projectile vomiting hot water all over the kitchen. I mean, it's GOOD that we have the money at those times, but it would be nice to stay ahead.

And no, Gas, it's not because I buy dumb shit.

I'm here looking at my car that decided to have the power steering basically go out (can't keep fluid in it) and, being at 188k+ miles, it's just time to replace it, but I wasn't going to have the money to do so until the end of next month, so it decides to do that this month just to be a pain in the butt.

Dave

Staff member
I'm here looking at my car that decided to have the power steering basically go out (can't keep fluid in it) and, being at 188k+ miles, it's just time to replace it, but I wasn't going to have the money to do so until the end of next month, so it decides to do that this month just to be a pain in the butt.
I didn't know whether to hug that comment or brofist. I feel that post on a molecular level.

Dave

Staff member
Until my wife got her new truck, ALL of our vehicles had 150K miles or more. And you should get your power steering checked out with a mechanic you trust. When it happened to the van it was a fucking hose. Not trying to get your hopes up, but sometimes it's worth getting it looked at.

I didn't know whether to hug that comment or brofist. I feel that post on a molecular level.
Same. I know I got rooked with my latest purchase, but the way my (then) current car was behaving, it was obviously not long for this world (233k miles, CV joint and transmission starting to complain) and I had to have something new under me right now. Despite its condition, I still tried to pick something that I felt would be able to soldier through it. Now I just gotta finish paying it off so I can finally have the money to fix it up.

--Patrick

Galveston sent me a "notice of non-teaching" for next semester. Due to critical budget cuts, they can't afford to have me teach online classes for them anymore. I'm not too broken up because I have an interview coming up next week. I also had a successful interview last month and will hear back in a few weeks. In a worst-case scenario I'll still be working full-time as a dual-credit instructor. It's a whine because I enjoyed teaching a class in my specialty, and it was nice to have the extra money.

ThinkGeek is closing down but not shutting down but yeah they are but technically not really but yeah.
On July 2nd, 2019, ThinkGeek.com will be moving in with our parent company GameStop. After this move, you will be able to shop a curated selection of unique items historically found on ThinkGeek.com via a ThinkGeek section at GameStop [...] If you placed your [online] order on or after June 13th, 2019, all sales are final. No returns. [...] you will no longer be able to access your ThinkGeek.com account.
tombstone.jpg

--Patrick

That site had been in decline for years. Most of the cool sciencey stuff had been replaced with Funko Pops and Geeky Tikis. But it gave me a lot of fond memories.

gums were sore over one tooth that had a toothache last month. went in to see if anything had changed. OH YEAH YOU NEED A ROOT CANAL, THAT TOOTH IS DONE. well fuck me.

What is wrong with my parents? They are so annoying sometimes.

I’m disabled and currently in a lot of pain and having troubles walking. My mother’s birthday and Mother’s Day were last month. I’m going to be in town for a work trip this week and said I’d bring the gifts. That’s straight forward right?

I have been hounded and pestered at least 20 times and just got texted again. I was so sick last night I couldn’t take my anti rejection meds and can barely walk right now. But yes, ask about the god damned gifts before you ask about my health or how their granddaughter is doing through a brutal situation she has at the moment.

What is wrong with my parents? They are so annoying sometimes.

I’m disabled and currently in a lot of pain and having troubles walking. My mother’s birthday and Mother’s Day were last month. I’m going to be in town for a work trip this week and said I’d bring the gifts. That’s straight forward right?

I have been hounded and pestered at least 20 times and just got texted again. I was so sick last night I couldn’t take my anti rejection meds and can barely walk right now. But yes, ask about the god damned gifts before you ask about my health or how their granddaughter is doing through a brutal situation she has at the moment.
She's done this to you so many times before. You need to cut ties before she starts poisoning the kids against you. This is not "annoying". This is absolutely an abusive relationship and you need to get out.

Nnggg yes, I mean the words I wrote that's why I wrote them. I swear it's like getting a pair of guards to guard a prince some days at work.

fade

Staff member
Ever get the "I told you so" feeling in your work? I'm really feeling this way about the resurgence in popularity of functional programming in the software dev world. In a few words, old school programming is making a huge comeback, and supplanting object-oriented code as the king of the hill. It's kind of a weird thing to watch from the position of someone who does professional development, but who is not a formally trained developer. Essentially, people waaaay over-applied OO to everything, and ruined the very idea of OO programming. There's nothing inherently wrong with OO, it's just a case of everything looking like a nail for decades now. Commercial code has these massive hierarchies that are impossible to interpret, and objects don't act like, well, objects. They were supposed to be little boxes that internalized their workings and talked to each other in a predictable way. Except people thought inheritance was some kind of godsend that they applied for everything. Just because you're building a Cat, that doesn't mean you need to inherit from NoahsArk(). And it never meant that everything Cats do needs to be inside the Cat object. All the big names like Sutter kept trying to discourage people from coding like this, but no one listened....

Anyway, the frustration with all of this + the need for concurrency means good old fashioned programming with self-contained functions--which is probably the first thing everyone learned how to do--is coming back. It's already going stupid, though. You've got proselytizers preaching that all should be functions and lambda is life. That's just as stupid. OO still has its place. I suspect we are at the far edge of a pendulum swing that will hopefully end up with people coding the way the old gurus said we should've all along...objects acting like objects, but interacting through functions. I think a lot of people didn't like that paradigm for its asymmetry. People are offended by the mix of Cat.eat() and play_together(Cat cat1, Cat cat2), but it is logical.

Sorry for the rant that most people don't care about, but I needed to hash that out somewhere.

Ever get the "I told you so" feeling in your work?
All the time.

...and I personally feel like code should be broken up... well, logically. Especially when modules need to be altered/swapped. I mean, to dive into an auto analogy, when I change a car stereo for another car stereo, I shouldn't need to know/care what's inside the stereo, I should be able to fit the new stereo into the empty socket and (possibly with some minor modifications) connect it to the existing hookups, and then have it be useful as a stereo without unexpectedly also being required to make a whole bunch of changes to my hands.

--Patrick

I've resisted that huge object hierarchy that strict OO design inevitably leads to. Functional programming is so much easier to maintain.

I'm the like the guy who's worn bell bottoms since the 70's only to see them finally come back into style ;)

So the fence around my parents house has needed to be replaced for quite a while. Storms over the last few years have taken their toll on it. Well the neighbors behind us have hired a guy, and his quote was very good especially compared to others around here. Problem is, even with that quote my parents still don't have the money to hire him.

I, however, have been saving a quarter of my monthly earnings since starting my job two years ago. I have enough to cover it. But it will be almost everything I have saved. I'm glad I can help, but "Ouch"! No vacations or new car anytime soon.

So the fence around my parents house has needed to be replaced for quite a while. Storms over the last few years have taken their toll on it. Well the neighbors behind us have hired a guy, and his quote was very good especially compared to others around here. Problem is, even with that quote my parents still don't have the money to hire him.

I, however, have been saving a quarter of my monthly earnings since starting my job two years ago. I have enough to cover it. But it will be almost everything I have saved. I'm glad I can help, but "Ouch"! No vacations or new car anytime soon.
You're a good person.

root canal was easy, but endo doc is not sure if the tooth can be saved as the infection started eating my jawbone. @_@ i go back in a month now that its treated.

and I got the bill for the ER for getting the pain looked at initially...750 bucks to be told its a toothache go see your dentist. >_>

Last edited: