Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Does this mean you won't be in Eorzea?
I’m back now and trying to decide which I want more before early access:

More Moogle books for fun mounts and minions

To finish the MSQ (I have one gross dungeon ahead)

To get weaving and botany to 70. I’d like a money maker for the expansion.

Phew.
I generally don't do more than one home pastoral visit in a day, just because scheduling such things is challenging as you never know how long each visit is going to last. But today, I knew that the morning visit (funeral planning with a homebound member and her daughter) would only take an hour at the most, because the member gets tired really easily (COPD and being on high doses of O2 will do that to you). So I booked a second visit for the afternoon. Again, one that generally takes an hour.

The morning session went as planned, and was smooth. (Though they didn't have any of the nice Indian sweets that I like, which made me sad. Those things a tasty!)
The afternoon session took 2+ hours. Of counseling. With a 95+ year old, who apparently, really needed to talk and wants to die (he says this multiple times every visit - he's not so much depressed [and yes, this avenue has been explored], as old, sore, and tired, and doesn't want to linger once he inevitably gets sick/bed-bound). He talked more about his (long) deceased wife today, which was actually quite nice. He hasn't talked about her much in the past.

I am so glad I went through the Sunday service this morning before the first visit, because I am done. I'm exhausted and my brain is fried and I need a drink. Tomorrow is my day off, so it's OK that I'm done, but woof, I am not doing that again if I have a choice.

So again I say - phew!

I need to stop waking up at 2 or 3 AM unable to fall asleep again. I don't want to take sleeping pills, but if they can get me through the night. Sleeping until 4 AM is a victory lately.
I'm just lucky this is happening during reduced work hours. I can't imagine going in after nights like these.

GasBandit

Staff member
There should be something in the Geneva conventions about trying to update a 400 MB file across a 1 megabit connection. I'm doing a firmware update right now that is going to easily take an hour and a half. That I just have to sit here and wait for.

There should be something in the Geneva conventions about trying to update a 400 MB file across a 1 megabit connection. I'm doing a firmware update right now that is going to easily take an hour and a half. That I just have to sit here and wait for.
Hmm, does this qualify as cruel & unusual punishment?

As my girlfriend and I discuss the possibility of marriage, I think of who I would ask to be my best man and I'm like... shit... I don't really have a "best friend" who would be my go-to. And something about that kind of bums me out.

As my girlfriend and I discuss the possibility of marriage, I think of who I would ask to be my best man and I'm like... shit... I don't really have a "best friend" who would be my go-to. And something about that kind of bums me out.
I very much know the feeling. Plenty of acquaintances and people I'd consider friend, but none that I'd really say are my best friend in any real capacity. Next to my girlfriend, the person I can most talk about my real feelings (that is, not just a "let's go have drinks" buddy) with is probably my mother-in-law, and I don't think I can ask her as my best man :confused:

In September this year, I'll be attending the wedding of a former classmate of my wife's. I've met this guy like three times in my life. I'm also going to be the best man at his wedding, because apparently he had no one else he could ask.

I mean, I'm honored, and I'll do it, but it's kinda weird.

I was best man at my best friend's wedding and he was best man at mine. We've been friends for over 30 years. He's the only person that I talk to from school days though.

The advantage of being dumped while engaged is that I already have my groomsmen planned out for the next time, with only a few substitutions (like possibly excluding the guy my ex cheated with and left me for).

I'm being offered a translation case that could help me make a name for myself in the translation market in Mainland China.

I can't take it because the deadline for the translation is the same as the deadline for my dissertation, and I think my dissertation should take priority.

I'm being offered a translation case that could help me make a name for myself in the translation market in Mainland China.

I can't take it because the deadline for the translation is the same as the deadline for my dissertation, and I think my dissertation should take priority.
Just outsource one of them :p

Anybody want to do a translation that'll help you make a name for yourself in the translation market in Mainland China?
Sure! But my limited translation skills probably aren't going to make the name you were hoping for.

You can all say you knew the "Great White Idiot" before she became infamous!

Last edited: