Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Probably not for ~5 bucks though, which was the cost of shipping.
You'd be surprised - grocery stores that offer both "pick up" service and "delivery" service are complaining about the competition because it's cheaper to have Uber Delivery and such pick it up and bring it. Though the distance and bike accommodation around here might be slightly different from the Texas situation :cool:

GasBandit

Staff member
You'd be surprised - grocery stores that offer both "pick up" service and "delivery" service are complaining about the competition because it's cheaper to have Uber Delivery and such pick it up and bring it. Though the distance and bike accommodation around here might be slightly different from the Texas situation :cool:
Yeah, anybody who tries to bike from Sam's to my house... he gon' die. 'Specially with 3 boxes of Premiere Protein on his back.

It really boggles the mind that such tiny places can make pretense to nationhood.
Remember Sealand?

On to the rant:
Had a bunch of stuff to do yesterday before I had to leave for work at 2, but no, Woken up at 7:30a, one of my son's eyes is almost swollen shut, so CANCEL ALL THE THINGS and have to go to the doctor. It's a bug bite that his body happened to hate more than usual, so yay no eye-related hazards but there goes my entire morning.
Off to work, get home 12:30a, but didn't get to bed until after 2a which is BS because I have to be up at 5:30 so I can leave early enough to drop my car off for its 8a service appt and line up a rental before I have to be to work at 9:30a. Didn't get home until 8p (so yes, that means about 4hrs sleep over about a 48hr period).

Why am I taking the car in? Well...

-Burning oil smell
-Speedometer occasionally spasms, causing transmission to panic shift trying to adjust for the speed it now thinks it's going
-R CV axle needs replacement
-L outer tie rod end needs replacement
-Engine has started surging for no discernible cause
-Check Engine light has been on for 3 years now (it has a catalytic fault, but that means I never know if any new codes get added)
-Recall for passenger airbag
-Tires are 3yrs old and should be replaced before snow flies
-Rotors are at the discard point and probably need new pads
-Oh, and it has > 230k miles on it.

SO:
-Diagnosis: $300 (but I'll pay it in order to find out whether it's better to just get a different car at this point)
-4-day rental: $325 ($250 of which is refundable, more if I don't need it all 4 days)

Expectation is that full repair bill would probably come out to $5k-$6k on top of that but really I'm just after whatever it'll take to keep it running safely until I can replace it with something from more recent than 2008.

I mean, I just had the opportunity to cash in unused vacation days at work last week, and I cashed in eighty hours' worth, so my next paycheck will actually be 4wks pay instead of the usual 2, but I was actually kinda hoping to do something irresponsible with some of that money, y'know?

--Patrick

It really boggles the mind that such tiny places can make pretense to nationhood.
There are quite a few states smaller than Belgium, you just happen to live in a big one. And population-wise, there aren't even that many states with more than us (though, yes, Texas is one of them, of course)

Worth noting that your normal is actually on the extreme end of the scale. America is the 3rd largest country by total land area & Texas alone would be 39th if it was an independent country which would still put it comfortably in the top quarter of largest countries.

Also, what do you mean "pretense to nationhood" you damned colonial! :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Thing is, you guys are comparing your nations to our provinces (though Texas was once its own nation too, but most states were not).

Thing is, you guys are comparing your nations to our provinces (though Texas was once its own nation too, but most states were not).
USA -> EU, State -> state :p

At least, that's how a lot of people are interpreting it these days, and, as far as identifiers go, it's pretty true too - I know hardly anyone who identifies with their province, but how many people are Proud to be Texan? :p
The United States of Europe are coming ever closer.
In our union, states can still quit, unlike with you guys, though. Brexit hasn't lead to a civil war yet ;)

(And Belgium used to be the size of Alaska, dwarfing Texas. If we're counting colonies. And if you reply we don't, well, the whole of the USA doesn't exist, heh.)
(And way back when, both the Confederacy *and* the Union were independently smaller than Belgium at the same time O_O)
(Besides, size doesn't matter - it's what you do with it that counts)
(And I'm absolutely willing to admit Belgium's a tiny little country - we were stablished pretty much just as a border between France and Germany, after all)
(I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing)

I sent a really embarrassing typo today. Instead of typing BC, I wrote BS. Essentially I told my team and boss that I was working a lot of BS this week.

Awesome.

fade

Staff member
USA -> EU, State -> state :p

At least, that's how a lot of people are interpreting it these days, and, as far as identifiers go, it's pretty true too - I know hardly anyone who identifies with their province, but how many people are Proud to be Texan? :p
The United States of Europe are coming ever closer.
In our union, states can still quit, unlike with you guys, though. Brexit hasn't lead to a civil war yet ;)

(And Belgium used to be the size of Alaska, dwarfing Texas. If we're counting colonies. And if you reply we don't, well, the whole of the USA doesn't exist, heh.)
(And way back when, both the Confederacy *and* the Union were independently smaller than Belgium at the same time O_O)
(Besides, size doesn't matter - it's what you do with it that counts)
(And I'm absolutely willing to admit Belgium's a tiny little country - we were stablished pretty much just as a border between France and Germany, after all)
(I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing)
Honestly, there's like 4 states people seem to proudly identify with. TX, NY, California, and SC. Those are the flags you see on the backs of people's cars. Actually, I don't even think SC people care that much about SC, it's just got a really cool flag. I know I'm biased as a SC boy, but I think it's the best in the US.

Honestly, there's like 4 states people seem to proudly identify with. TX, NY, California, and SC. Those are the flags you see on the backs of people's cars. Actually, I don't even think SC people care that much about SC, it's just got a really cool flag. I know I'm biased as a SC boy, but I think it's the best in the US.
I'm partial to Virginia's, because it has a cool motto and a tiddy.

New Yooooooork!

I mean, yes, maybe you have something there.

GasBandit

Staff member
While I was away on vacation my feedly RSS concatenator built up a backlog of like 40 youtube videos I haven't watched yet and it's stressing me out.

Blech - had a phone interview and I feel like I effed it up. Damn it. So many questions that I wasn't prepared for. Now, I feel dumb and a failure. Job hunting sucks so much.