Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I’m probably overreacting, but I feel that my second language skills have gotten rusty after an extended absence and I worry that signing up for a course at a slightly lower level will look super bad.

I don’t have to retest or take any training, but am choosing to do so because I want to improve after being off and not using it for so long. We have way fewer staff who have this capacity now and i want to be back where I was.

I had a short phone evaluation today and I didn’t place as high as I would have liked. The evaluator thinks I’ll be back to advanced in ten weeks.

I have a love/hate relationship with spin wings. On one hand they are amazing for outdoor archery. On the other hand they have a tendency to do this if I miss.

image-20180911_114814.jpg

(In b4 "then just don't miss")

GasBandit

Staff member
Within 5 minutes of my arrival at my Dad's house in Colorado Springs, we got a call - my grandmother (his mother) has just had a heart attack and is in the hospital. We're trying to get details, but all our plans for this visit are now in jeopardy. I might have to drive to Grand Junction tomorrow, where we would do a couple days of moral support but otherwise be standing around useless and bored, before I have to drive home and go back to work :/

We're trying to find out if we're actually needed, if the heart attack is actually anything serious, but it's difficult to tell because the relatives who know what's going on aren't available for the phone, and all the ones that are available, are only able to give vague recollections.

On the one hand, I do of course want to be there for my grandma... but on the other hand, I hate to torpedo all our plans to sit useless in a waiting room for a couple days just to have to drive back again. :/

On the one hand, I'm sorry this is ruining your plans.
On the other, I'm glad you were there to be there and be bored, instead of it happening while you were 1200 miles away, unable to do anything other than fret.
Be supportive, be there for who needs you.

--Patrick

We have this stupid cyber security training at work that sends fake emails that are obviously mimicking spam. If you click on it, you have to rewatch this hour video. I got one, and deleted it. However, by clicking on the email to delete it, it triggered the loading of the HTML to load a 0x0 image with some link to their site indicating that i opened it (despite not opening the PDF attachment). Now I get to waste an hour of time on useless training.

I complained to my boss about the 0x0 image and he said that it wasn't fair and really more of a flaw with the system so if I can prove to IT that that's how it works (shouldn't be hard) I don't have to watch the video.

My wife joined an adult soccer league for the first time in about 10 years, now that our kids are older and we're starting to get our time back. Keep in mind my wife is in great shape. She exercises a lot, doing bootcamp and running. First game: complete rupture of the ACL, and a torn meniscus. She had surgery 2 weeks ago, and was completely immobile for a couple of days, and she'll be on crutches for a while. Says she's never playing soccer again, which is kind of sad, since before this break, she played since she was old enough to walk.
Ugh, sounds like what I went through last year. I hope she has fewer issues with infection than I did.

Grumble grumble.

I complained to my boss about the 0x0 image and he said that it wasn't fair and really more of a flaw with the system so if I can prove to IT that that's how it works (shouldn't be hard) I don't have to watch the video.
I have “never load remote images” turned on in my email just to avoid this kind of web beacon BS.

—Patrick

Last edited:
That company uses the same header in all their emails so I'm just going to block them by default once I'm done proving to IT that their system sucks.

I'm in charge of my company's email signature tool so I want to just add the image to everyone's signature out of spite.

GasBandit

Staff member
My grandfather is clearly trying to kill us. All of his salad dressing expired mid 2017 but he serves it anyway. Also he still steadfastly refuses to get any broadband internet.

My grandfather is clearly trying to kill us. All of his salad dressing expired mid 2017 but he serves it anyway. Also he still steadfastly refuses to get any broadband internet.
So you're saying you missed your chance to politely refuse salad dressing by using your surgery as an excuse?

Last night I shipped my most prized possession across the country in the hopes that someone in Texas can tell me why a six month old gaming laptop won't turn on or charge at all.

Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated at this time.

"I don't plan on keeping it. Oh, hey, you wanna come over for dinner next week?"
More "I can't believe I've spent my whole life having pets and never questioned if it was wrong." I feel like I'm talking to a wall; she's got this nonsense stuck in her mind now and until she backs away from it, there's not going to be any helping her.

If anyone would kill the bunny, it'd be PETA. They loooove killing animals.

It's ridiculous to think that having a pet is wrong. I'm hoping to get reincarnated as a housecat. If I woke up as a bunny, I'd be utterly relieved to be somebody's pet instead of constantly on the lookout against foxes.

Life in the wild is short and brutal, and we're doing good by keeping pets away from that horrour.

It's ridiculous to think that having a pet is wrong. I'm hoping to get reincarnated as a housecat. If I woke up as a bunny, I'd be utterly relieved to be somebody's pet instead of constantly on the lookout against foxes.

Life in the wild is short and brutal, and we're doing good by keeping pets away from that horrour.
Absolutely. While cats and dogs are most common, a lot of pets would be prey animals in the wild. Her rabbit has over a decade life expectancy right now as a pet. I promise that's better than any wild rabbit in the world.

GasBandit

Staff member
I need a vacation after my vacation. But of course, I have a couple dozen fires to put out after getting back to work. I've already got a stress headache.

Having a pet isn't in and of itself bad. Certainly many/most dogs, cats, pet bunnies, ferrets, but also cows and such, have all been domesticated so much they can't really survive on their own in the wild. Yes, there are wild or gone-feral dogs, but they're not exactly mini poodles.
On the other hand, some types of pets - and of pet owners - can be a bad idea. Having a border collie is a great idea, they're awesome dogs. Keeping a border collie cooped up in a small apartment 24/7 is a horrible idea, they need space to move and run. Some types of exotic birds, reptiles, fish (etc) are highly endangered, keeping them is wrong because they've most likely been caught in the wild and transported to the West - encouraging such practices is bad. Force-feeding your dog 'till it's a waddling ball of lard is pretty much animal abuse. Some behaviors some pet owners like and think are "funny" or "cute" are actually signs of severe stress and are signs your pet's doing bad. Buying bred pedigree dogs (or cats, etc) can be a problem - many breeders are in it for the money, leading to inbred, over-bred races with horrible defects ,badly socialized animals, serious misgrowths, types of dogs where over half of each litter is killed off because they're not up to spec,...Again, such things should be discouraged if not outright illegal.
Having a bunny, or rescuing a dog or cat from a shelter and giving them a warm home where they can live as animals (they're NOT miniature furry people) is a good thing for those animals.
Be smart about how you deal with your animal(s), research their type/breed, get to know their personality so you know what they need and want instead of just projecting your own needs and wants on them, and the animal will most likely have a great life.

Yeah, absolutely, the way we treat our pets might be immoral.

BTW, are you taking over @stienman's duties while he's away? Your posts seem to be getting longer and more informative.

(slightly more seriously, it's because my GF was away with work for a week so I had time to sit and think at my PC instead of quickly dashing off two sentences on my phone)

GasBandit

Staff member
Sam's Club is refusing to ship protein shakes to me anymore, I have to drive all the way over there and pick them up like some kind of plebian.