Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I’ve plowed the driveway (about 250 feet long) five times today, each time clearing 4-6 inches of snow. Due to drifting, packing, and blowing that doesn’t mean we got 20” or more of snowfall, but it sure feels like it.

It’s light fluffy snow too, which makes a huge difference and is much nicer to deal with than some types of snow.
Something here doesn’t compute. There is a whole squadron at your disposal for such things. Even on a school day. [emoji41]

Something here doesn’t compute. There is a whole squadron at your disposal for such things. Even on a school day. [emoji41]
Yeah, but I don’t let them drive the tractor, they get to clear the walkways instead.

Sadly, even in the flat areas with no drifting my boots are insufficient.
0C4CCF90-CFD5-452A-95D3-9C3E97858CF9.jpeg

(looks at thread)
(looks out window)
(sees that palm tree right outside his front porch)
(sees barrel cactus in front yard)

Hee hee hee hee heeeeeeeee...

(looks at thread)
(looks out window)
(sees that palm tree right outside his front porch)
(sees barrel cactus in front yard)

Hee hee hee hee heeeeeeeee...
I know you're happy now, but there is this little thing called summer coming... and you can only take off so many clothes to go do things you need to do...

I know you're happy now, but there is this little thing called summer coming... and you can only take off so many clothes to go do things you need to do...
You acclimate eventually. And the dry heat is way less oppressive than humid heat, because sweat actually evaporates. Just stay hydrated.

I've been severely depressed. Nothing about my life is improving and I don't see how it possibly could.

Maybe walking back to my car on New Year's was a mistake.

Last edited:
I don’t think it was a mistake. My heart fell when I read your post, and I was so relieved that you chose to return to us.

I wish I could do more than encourage you from a distance, but I want you to know that you occupy a portion of my heart, and you matter to me. A world without Nick would be less bright.

I've been severely depressed. Nothing about my life is improving and I don't see how it possibly could.

My heart goes out to you, Nick. I often struggle with what I want to say in reponse to these sort of posts, because I know in the depth of depression words often mean very little. When I learned about your last suicide attempt I was so shaken that I had to leave work, because even though I've never met you in person, I feel a deep affection for you. I never mentioned this because you had enough to worry about, and I know how easy it could be to see this sort of reaction as another negative, but I hope it helps to communicate that I care about you.

Please feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk. I can also send you my cell number if you prefer that. I know you often don't like to talk about it, and I respect that, but the offer is there.

I understand, dear. I'm in the honeymoon phase here. I'm sure I'll biatch about things during the inferno warmer summer months.
That honeymoon will come to a screeching stop once the reality of who's running that state hits you.

But that's another thread.

I have worked on weekends for something like ten of the last twelve weeks. This is on top of the long hours I already pull during weekdays. This sucks rather a lot.

And because I'm working so much, I end up working less efficiently, because I'm less motivated and because my brain enters semantic satiation more easily, so I can't edit translations at my maximum speeds. Which then leads to a vicious as well as viscous cycle of me working more, thus leading to working less efficiently, which then leads to me having to work more, when then leads to...

Consequently, I've been really stressed and grouchy for weeks. My wife's been taking the brunt of it. She's a saint. Also I eat a lot to destress so my weight is starting to balloon. My wife's also suggesting that I should maybe start looking for alternative employment options, but the problem is my salary here is in the upper ranges of what it's possible to make in Taiwan with my degree, so any move away would likely lead to less money. And that's not a very attractive option, because we're gonna need money in the foreseeable future (we'll be studying abroad, our parents are retiring soon and we'll need to support them, and a variety of bills and payments that need to be made). Also I can't really think of any other jobs I'm interested in doing, or would be interested in hiring me. So I've just been sucking it up as best I can, because that's what needs to be done. But it's becoming increasingly clear that this situation is not sustainable for the long term.

Though, thank all the deities that have ever been worshiped that we don't have kids. I can't imagine how much more stressed I'd be if I had little mouths to feed as well.

EDIT: Also, for anyone curious, yes I am typing this from work, at 4pm on a Sunday.

GasBandit

Staff member
Some time ago I bought Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault Online, but never got around to installing/playing it.

Today I read they closed it down late last year >_<

Dohhh

That honeymoon will come to a screeching stop once the reality of who's running that state hits you.

But that's another thread.
Hey, I already know. I knew where Goldwater came from. I've already figured out how Republican this state is. (They had "Make America Great Again" hats and "Trump Pence 2020" for sale at the Mesa Swap Meet.)[DOUBLEPOST=1518397083,1518396992][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have worked on weekends for something like ten of the last twelve weeks. This is on top of the long hours I already pull during weekdays. This sucks rather a lot.

And because I'm working so much, I end up working less efficiently, because I'm less motivated and because my brain enters semantic satiation more easily, so I can't edit translations at my maximum speeds. Which then leads to a vicious as well as viscous cycle of me working more, thus leading to working less efficiently, which then leads to me having to work more, when then leads to...

Consequently, I've been really stressed and grouchy for weeks. My wife's been taking the brunt of it. She's a saint. Also I eat a lot to destress so my weight is starting to balloon. My wife's also suggesting that I should maybe start looking for alternative employment options, but the problem is my salary here is in the upper ranges of what it's possible to make in Taiwan with my degree, so any move away would likely lead to less money. And that's not a very attractive option, because we're gonna need money in the foreseeable future (we'll be studying abroad, our parents are retiring soon and we'll need to support them, and a variety of bills and payments that need to be made). Also I can't really think of any other jobs I'm interested in doing, or would be interested in hiring me. So I've just been sucking it up as best I can, because that's what needs to be done. But it's becoming increasingly clear that this situation is not sustainable for the long term.

Though, thank all the deities that have ever been worshiped that we don't have kids. I can't imagine how much more stressed I'd be if I had little mouths to feed as well.

EDIT: Also, for anyone curious, yes I am typing this from work, at 4pm on a Sunday.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt on (literally).

Dude, GTFO.

figmentPez

Staff member
Couple things:

First, I took the "no rush" shipping option for a recent Amazon order because it gave $5 off a future Outdoor Recreation purchase, and I'm looking for some new sunglasses. Little did I realize that the $5 is only applicable to items both sold and shipped by Amazon themselves, and this severely limits the choices, to the point that there aren't any that I want.

Second, a local grocery store is once again running their Monopoly game promotion, but it's severely nerfed compared to last year. Previously "second chance" online game codes could get you Fandango tokens, ten of which got you a choice of various $5 credits, one of which could be applied to digital media anywhere. I got like 4 of these codes, and used them for an ebook, a game, and to put some money in my Steam wallet. This year it takes like 30 tokens to get a Fandango credit, and it's only valid for certain Fandango purchases.

You guys are inflating the whine level again. Pretty soon we'll need a "mewl like a kitten" thread.
3 levels just isn't enough. I mean, I'm a weak wimp who wants to complain about having a crap boss and how depressed it makes me feel, and about having some toothache because of incompetent dentistry.
That's "worse" than "I stubbed my toe", but I really can't post it in the same thread as "I just lost my home", "my mother has Alzheimers and is wasting away" and "my wife needs life-threatening surgery for a life-threatening problem". And that's just the Minor Rant!

The "whine" thread was more or less meant for things that don't really deserve a real rant but just some "I'm annoyed and want to complain but I can't really do it IRL because it's too petty". "Minor rant" was for issues worth complaining about but nothing really major. The full-on Rant thread was for Serious Stuff.
Except half the people here minimize their own suffering compared to others (I dothis too), so they take a step "down", thus making it harder for those lower-down to complain without coming off...I dunno, callous? Selfish? Whiney?
I know I don't want ot post about how bad I feel about my job right after a post about someone losing a parent, or being violently abused, or being kicked out of their home.

Last week, the store was out of my usual brand of coffee creamer and the one I got instead is inferior.
I had to switch to Western Family brand coffee creamer and sucralose, and it just isn't as good as Winco brand, but the nearest Winco is 2.5 hours away!

As to the severity of rants issue... When I post a category down, it's never about deflating the severity of my situation based upon someone else', but about how severely the situation effects me. I mean, the other day I think I posted in here about my pets getting too rowdy in the morning and breaking a monitor in the process. Now, the monitor was expensive and I can't afford to replace it with a new one, so I have to get a refurbished model. I paid extra for two-day shipping, not knowing that they wouldn't even be shipping my order until at least 4 days later, making paying for shipping for the monitor to reach me this week pointless, and more money was wasted. Yet another bong was broken in the process, and while it was cheap when I bought it, the glass market in Oregon is vastly more expensive than the glass market in Washington was, so I can't afford to replace it, and I'm running out of bongs. I spilled coffee all over myself in the process, and we still don't have a washer and dryer, so that means another garment to soak and wash by hand before a stain sets in, because I can't afford to run to the laundromat every time I need to get a stain out of something quickly. And, while we fully intend to rip the carpet out of the upstairs and replace it all with hardwood flooring, the carpet needs to survive until then, and it just isn't going to if ashes, bong water, and coffee keep getting spilled on it, because I can't afford a carpet steamer! But at the time, none of that was important to me. The only thing that was important to me was that my cat was scared and needed to be reassured, and that the top corner bezel on the monitor hit me just right in the knuckle of my thumb to scrape the skin off in a perfect bezel pattern and it hurt. If it happened today, instead of last week, I'd probably put it in the Minor Rant thread. If/when it happens again, if my financial situation hasn't improved by then, it will probably go in the Big Bad Rant thread.

I try very hard not to limit what thread I post something in based on my perception of someone else' suffering, and I neither expect nor want anyone else to do the same based on my circumstances. When you get down to the very bottom of it, we're all just people, and sometimes we all need comfort. I'm not going to judge whether or not one person's situation deserves as much comfort as anyone else' - because we all just deserve as much comfort as we need to feel better, and I can't decide that for anyone but myself (and rarely myself).

Its funny, after this discussion about the severity of the rant threads, I looked into what I've posted in that thread as a rant. Turns out I have a high standard. My last three things:

1) Being upset about a wedding happening that I was going to be in until my ex left me.
2) My ex leaving me.

And my favorite:
3) Feeling bad about dropping my phone when housesitting for a friend because I had to cut open the bottom of his couch to get it out.

Why is the last one so funny?

Because I was housesitting so him and my then-fiancee could go on a trip to visit a friend. She dumped me a few days later and they "started" dating a few days after that.*

I no longer feel bad about the couch.

*I was told that he was coming along because he wanted to fuck the friend, which was plausible since she was definitely into him. I'm stupid, but not quite that stupid.[DOUBLEPOST=1518486043,1518485690][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh man, I need to back out of that search before things get too heavy. I do love this post though:

Well things are worked out on one stressful front (editors note: regarding wedding planning). Hopefully nothing else major happens.

Something else major is going to happen isn't it?
lolol if you only knew...