Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

"hey, guess what? I know everyone has gone home for the day but we updated our phones to IoS 9. All the apps you wrote for it are are now crashing!"

Guess it's time to re-build with xcode 7. Let's download it.
Wait, when half the building moved to new offices yesterday, our network guy hosed something on the network. The Mac Mini is now sharing an IP address with someone and I can't reach it remotely. Gotta actually drive to the office.
Got that sorted out. Wait. Looks like Xcode 7 requires OSX 10.10 minimum. Time to download El Capitan.
Our Apple ID is in my boss' email, and he's changed his password. Gotta call him up, because I can't get in.
Ah, finally. Lookie. A 2 hour download before I can even get started.
Looks like I'll be here til 2am.

Joy.

Looks like I'll be here til 2am.

Joy.
I'm doing all the computers&things in the house right now. 2xipod, 2xiphone, 1xipad, 3xmacs, all going to be backed up and then brought up to date by morning.
Did I mention we also built Kati a new computer a few days ago? Throw Win8.1 on top of that since her old computer has been retired but she still needs her stuff moved over. Got to get it all done before I leave this weekend, won't be back for a week and everything has to work before I leave.
Almost feels like I'm trying to run a radio station or something.

--Patrick

I would assume though that those are standard issue footwear when you become a Hawaiian citizen. :p
Just don't call then sandals or flip-flops! They are slippers or usually slippahs. Take them off at the door of everyone's home and don't steal a newer, better pair when you leave. lol

I'm actually looking at a bottle opener right now. I believe someone on here sent it to me from Canada (eh?) because they didn't like the Predators.

I actually bought a new one while at the grocery store this morning, which means the others will magically fall out of the sky.

Oh god, I have apparently trained myself to only need 6 hours of sleep because I woke up at 6:30 and can't fall back asleep, noooooo.

Sure, but now you can get it out of the way! My pity levels would be higher if I didn't wake up so early myself. ;)

Whole building went dark for about 10 seconds at ~1am. TIL the main hotel server is *not* on a UPS. While the other front desk person and I were making sure all the computers were up and running, one of the bartenders comes racing in near panic because the POS system was down and he couldn't settle a huge tab. We got that bit of software up and running again, but it took calls to management and property management software support to get the phones back and the server completely revived.

But now I know how to wake the phones up without waking up anyone *else* at 2 in the morning. :)

So, in another thread, I mentioned this "spanish language scavenger hunt" my son had to do for school. He had to find a bunch of hispanic examples of stuff around town and have pictures taken of him next to them. Mexican restaurant, hispanic non-mexican restaurant, hispanic butcher shops, that kind of thing.All of it had to be within a certain radius of the school.

After googling, yelping, yellow paging, and otherwise internet searching for 3 days, I was about to tear my hair out. I couldn't find 100 points worth of the various things the teacher put on the list. I must've called about 20 mexican restaurants to try to find one that had spanish language menus available, without success. I drove to the only hispanic church within the radius that had a spanish language sign out front, only to find it closed down. Which wouldn't have been a big deal if they had left the signage up. But they didn't.

Finally, I found a neighborhood with a high hispanic population just on the edge of the radius limit and nearly 30 miles from home, and we just went there and drove around for a couple hours, hitting every storefront with a spanish language sign until we found enough points.

So frustrating. If I were still living in Texas, I could've done it all within a few blocks of my house.

Last edited:
So, in another thread, I mentioned this "spanish language scavenger hunt" my son had to do for school. He had to find a bunch of hispanic examples of stuff around town and have pictures taken of him next to them. Mexican restaurant, hispanic non-mexican restaurant, hispanic butcher shops, that kind of thing.All of it had to be within a certain radius of the school.

After googling, yelping, yellow paging, and otherwise internet searching for 3 days, I was about to tear my hair out. I couldn't find 100 points worth of the various things the teacher put on the list. I must've called about 20 mexican restaurants to try to find one that had spanish language menus available, without success. I drove to the only hispanic church within the radius that had a spanish language sign out front, only to find it closed down. Which wouldn't have been a big deal if they had left the signage up. But they didn't.

Finally, I found a neighborhood with a high hispanic population just on the edge of the radius limit and nearly 30 miles from home, and we just went there and drove around for a couple hours, hitting every storefront with a spanish language sign until we found enough points.

So frustrating. If I were still living in Texas, I could've done it all within a few blocks of my house.
That sounds unfeasible for a kid to do unless they're in a particularly dense urban setting. How is this anything other than homework for parents? I can't recall a single assignment in my entire school career that pretty much required me to go to my parents for help or else.

That sounds unfeasible for a kid to do unless they're in a particularly dense urban setting. How is this anything other than homework for parents? I can't recall a single assignment in my entire school career that pretty much required me to go to my parents for help or else.
That's the point: they do this to see which parents are involved with their kid's schooling and which are willing to make sacrifices. The ones who come back with nothing are ones that ether aren't talking to their parents about their schoolwork (which means the kid is a problem) and/or which parents are willing to make time for their kid's school (which means the parents are a problem).

It's kind of a shitty thing to do but it's also a good way of identifying which kids need special attention.

So...Because it's so busy, there's now 3 of us here on a Saturday night. Sadly, my two colleagues have less than 6 months of experience combined. -_-

So...Because it's so busy, there's now 3 of us here on a Saturday night. Sadly, my two colleagues have less than 6 months of experience combined. -_-
That's just an opportunity to train them the right way. Your way.

So you can sleep on the job a couple weeks from now.

fade

Staff member
Do you know how tedious it is to solder an LED matrix? I tested it on a breadboard, and then started soldering. Now two LEDs don't work, and it doesn't seem to be a connection issue. Blah.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aaand our accountant just turned in her 2 weeks because she can't take it here any more, even though she hasn't got anything else lined up. Not surprising, really, she didn't really have the background and was thrown in the deep end with constant backseat driving from the owner's pet over in Midland. Still, it will make things more stressful for myself and the neophyte TD who is still getting the swing of her job. Before we were 3 people doing the work of 5, and now we're 2 and I am sure somehow this is going to increase my work load - because that always happens.

GD it, the power surge I had on Friday that fried my surge protector also took out my speakers. I didn't notice because I just had my sound going to my headset all weekend, but GD it, now I need to get new speakers.

fade

Staff member
Sheesh, our sensei made us do our whole workout with a 5lb weight in each hand last night. I feel like Goku.