Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

They're probably not. And neither was I, truth be told. But I'll at least wait until this cough stops being a jerk.
Like @Bubble181 said, it could be months. I caught Covid almost 2 months ago, and I’m still fucking coughing. All the time. It has gotten slightly less frequent, but it is still quite noticeable.

(Oh man, the looks people give me in public.)

Yeah, there's some discussion about what types of lingering symptoms to count as "long covid" or not, but some symptoms can stay for a LONG time - as in, we don't know if they actually ever go away again.
Fatigue, muscle soreness, distorted eye sight, loss of taste, and "mind fog"/concentration issues seem to be the most common to stick around, while the "acute" symptoms (sore throat, fever) are usually gone fairly quickly. Coughing seems to be caught somewhere in between.

The more interactions I have with the institutional church (the hierarchy stuff), the more I want to burn it all to the ground. The chronic lack of communication on the most simple of things, the utter lack of respect for those on the ground, and the truly baffling levels of patronizing in what little communication there is is truly impressive and absolutely infuriating.
There is the rare person who is helpful and at least nominally considerate, but the vast majority I have had to interact with for my research are at best ineffective tools and at worst malicious ass-holes. All of them are grossly overpaid.

The primary function of family social gatherings in the post-trump world seems to be me learning what relatives I used to be very fond of that I now need to distance myself from, and it sucks.
I wish to be the relative people distance themselves from.

The primary function of family social gatherings in the post-trump world seems to be me learning what relatives I used to be very fond of that I now need to distance myself from, and it sucks.
I miss living in a world where my parents did not feel the need to flaunt their political opinions while lamenting that they didn't teach me to think like them.

Also sick of my parents acting like I'll change my mind as I get older. Bitch, I'm 42.

I've been looking after my friend's 10 year old for 2 days and it's been the most exhausting two days of my life.

I'm fucking over it now. This kid is so whiny and seems to think he's entitled to be a rude little shit when he's not at home. He threw my PS4 controller at the ground as hard as he could after dying in Spider-Man PS4 and threw such a fucking fit when I made him turn it off and sent him to his room. How does this little shit act when he's at home? Fuck.

Last edited:
I've been looking after my friend's 10 year old for 2 days and it's been the most exhausting two days of my life.

I'm fucking over it now. This kid is so whiny and seems to think he's entitled to be a rude little shit when he's not at home. He threw my PS4 controller at the ground as hard as he could after dying in Spider-Man PS4 and threw such a fucking fit when I made him turn it off and sent him to his room. How does this little shit act when he's at home? Fuck.
I didn't know I made a reference.

Pat throws those out randomly just in case.
Which is honestly upsetting sometimes. Like a post I made recently about being unable to sleep. And he tags it with "I get that reference" when I made zero references. And every time he does it, I want to scream "What FUCKNG reference?" Because the confusion of it, especially on a post where I'm already clearly upset, makes me even more upset. It's not just confusing, it's inappropriate, for the timing. I didn't blow up on him on that one because he posted something upsetting going on in his own life, so I didn't want to pile on. I thought about being an asshole and tagging THAT post with "I get that reference," but I chose not to.

Honestly, there have been times I've considered blocking him on here. Sometimes, his attempts at sarcastic humor falls so flat that it's inappropriate and upsetting. Sometimes to the point that I cringe and have to steel myself when I see a notification that he replied to my post. In a "Oh fucking hell, what is he going to say this time?"

...Not every "reference" has to be some meta-reference to another part of the internet or some other piece of media.
It works for "I realize you're referring to a Star Wars meme, I've seen it too" but it also works for "yeah, I really recognize that feeling"/"I recognize and understand the feeling/situation you're referencing".
That's not sarcastic humor, that's letting you know he shares your pain/understands your feelings.

I don't know what to say here, other than "I have literally never seen Pat use reactions in a manner I would consider inappropriate" and, frankly, "if you react so strongly to a simple emoticon react to a post by some guy on the internet that you get upset, emotional, and physically cringe, you are probably better off blocking them because you're in a vulnerable position".

Which is honestly upsetting sometimes. Like a post I made recently about being unable to sleep. And he tags it with "I get that reference" when I made zero references. And every time he does it, I want to scream "What FUCKNG reference?" Because the confusion of it, especially on a post where I'm already clearly upset, makes me even more upset. It's not just confusing, it's inappropriate, for the timing. I didn't blow up on him on that one because he posted something upsetting going on in his own life, so I didn't want to pile on. I thought about being an asshole and tagging THAT post with "I get that reference," but I chose not to.

Honestly, there have been times I've considered blocking him on here. Sometimes, his attempts at sarcastic humor falls so flat that it's inappropriate and upsetting. Sometimes to the point that I cringe and have to steel myself when I see a notification that he replied to my post. In a "Oh fucking hell, what is he going to say this time?"
I can't speak for @PatrThom ... but I'm gonna. He tends to use "I get that reference" to mean "I've been there" which... Isn't how most people use it, so it can seem inappropriate on a serious topic, but makes sense if you factor in the context of who it's coming from.

I can't speak for @PatrThom ... but I'm gonna. He tends to use "I get that reference" to mean "I've been there" which... Isn't how most people use it, so it can seem inappropriate on a serious topic, but makes sense if you factor in the context of who it's coming from.
I've never once viewed the tag in that manner, even though that makes sense. The whole point of it was that one joke from the first Avengers movie and I've never considered it in any other way.

As far as being upset over it, I get it. I fully admit I'm a sensitive person who flies off the handle. I am not doing well these days. I spent three days severely depressed and didn't go to work because someone stole shit off my bike. But it was an occurrence that compounded on top of other things I've been feeling lately, so it set me off. Same as this. It's one little thing, but it's a little thing on top of other shit that I'm trying to deal with and it sets me off.

I've never once viewed the tag in that manner, even though that makes sense. The whole point of it was that one joke from the first Avengers movie and I've never considered it in any other way.

As far as being upset over it, I get it. I fully admit I'm a sensitive person who flies off the handle. I am not doing well these days. I spent three days severely depressed and didn't go to work because someone stole shit off my bike. But it was an occurrence that compounded on top of other things I've been feeling lately, so it set me off. Same as this. It's one little thing, but it's a little thing on top of other shit that I'm trying to deal with and it sets me off.
I reacted this hugs, because you know I sympathize with you Nick and you're one of my favorite people here... But I was real fucking tempted

Sorry for my post; I tried to say more or less the same as Poe but did so in a way that can certainly read as more aggressive. To be clear, I didn't mean to insult you or belittle your emotions. I'm not communicating very well lately, and it is because I, too, am currently struggling a bit.

As far as Patrick goes, I do sometimes use the "reference" reaction like he does, though I'll often opt for a brofist instead for the specific reason that not everyone might interpret the reference shield in that way. But while I can brofist "I'm stressed but excited about my wedding plans" (as I'm currently planning my wedding and it's stressful but exciting), I don't feel like I can brofist a post about, e..g depressive feelings, because a brofist is too...upbeat a reaction? As in, 'I agree and I'm happy for you', where "I get that, I really do" is more "I sympathize and understand/can relate" and can be both positive or negative.

Having said that, I'll try to remember not to use the reference reaction in such a way with regards to your posts in the future.

The "I get that reference" reaction, like "doing the Thing again" is a reaction which either has very limited use, or you can use with different meanings. But I do get how both (and the Yarr! and the TP Run) can be misunderstood.

I didn't blow up on him on that one because he posted something upsetting going on in his own life, so I didn't want to pile on. I thought about being an asshole and tagging THAT post with "I get that reference," but I chose not to.

Thank you for that. My life has also been rather unpleasant lately, and that incident is only one of literally at least a dozen decidedly unpleasant è̷̛͎̞̀̑̓̿̋͗̇͑̏͛̂͘͠v̸̺͖̜͖̱̠̠̙̍͂͐͐̊ę̵̨̘͇͍̥̟̜̟̹̉̋̀̽̃̅̿̂͌͘͜n̷̢̿̉͋̌̋́͛̾͛̀͠ṱ̵̡̛̭̪͕̫̼̖͔͎̰̋̆̋̑͊͋̈́̔͑̂̀̽̒̽͜͝͝s̶̼̟̣͒͜ that have happened just since I returned home on July 5th. If you had tagged it with the reference tag, with what I know of your life history, I would literally have only read it as you expressing your condolences, having lived through a similar loss.

Sorry for upsetting you so much/often. I know we talked about this once before (but of course can't find it at the moment). I am quite aware that life has frequently been treating you unkindly (especially of late), and every post I have ever directed anywhere at/near you has been one which I had hoped would be inspirational, uplifting, amusing, or help you to cope in some way. I admit there have been a few I had hoped would forcibly knock you back on track, but you have said that is something you do not enjoy, and so I have never done it since. I don't believe there has ever been a time where I was deliberately insulting you, whether it be in the body of a message or via my reaction choices. Please accept my plainly spoken, absolutely and completely unsarcastic apology. I hope it helps.
I do sometimes use the "reference" reaction like he does, though I'll often opt for a brofist instead for the specific reason that not everyone might interpret the reference shield in that way. But while I can brofist "I'm stressed but excited about my wedding plans" (as I'm currently planning my wedding and it's stressful but exciting), I don't feel like I can brofist a post about, e..g depressive feelings, because a brofist is too...upbeat a reaction?
Exactly. To me, the brofist reaction carries an additional connotation of, "I approve this message," and there are many times when I do NOT want there to be any kind of implied approval, so I go for the reference tag, instead.

In general, on this board, there is never really a time where I am posting anything maliciously directed against other forumites...with a few very specific exceptions, of course, and even then, I try to be very restrained about it because I view (all!) the other people on this forum as FAMILY, and not merely as random, disconnected people on the Internet. I guess this just proves to me that this feeling is not automatically returned.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ANYway, my own whine:
-I am currently undergoing PT for my knee after being diagnosed with Getting Old.
-Scheduling the PT is difficult because I essentially work 12x5/wk.
-On Tue morning, had PT for 45min starting at 7a, then had to rush home so I could be to work by 9:30a.
-Wife asked me to get a box full of papers down off the cupboard before I left.
-The step stool she had set up is the one where the screws tend to work themselves loose over time, and it had unknowingly done so, and it collapsed while I was standing on it, sending me falling maybe a foot and a half down to the floor but also while holding a document crate of papers.
-She's been undergoing at least as much stress as me lately, so she screamed as I fell.
-As I was lying there on the floor, I said the first thing that came to my mind, which was, "Hey I think the screws on this stepstool are coming loose."
-I then had to go to work, where I stand on my feet for about 9hrs. Ow.

--Patrick

I fell in the shower last week. My husband kindly came to help me up and I asked him to return in a bit. I had to sit there and be mad/upset for a few. I knew that I wouldn’t be fit to be around a for a few. I sat there, flooded the bathroom, soaked the cat and had my reaction.

The bruises are only now appearing. I woke up with my foot covered. I feel like I was hit by a bus though.

I have had a super stressful week or two and that wasn’t needed.

Thank you for that. My life has also been rather unpleasant lately, and that incident is only one of literally at least a dozen decidedly unpleasant è̷̛͎̞̀̑̓̿̋͗̇͑̏͛̂͘͠v̸̺͖̜͖̱̠̠̙̍͂͐͐̊ę̵̨̘͇͍̥̟̜̟̹̉̋̀̽̃̅̿̂͌͘͜n̷̢̿̉͋̌̋́͛̾͛̀͠ṱ̵̡̛̭̪͕̫̼̖͔͎̰̋̆̋̑͊͋̈́̔͑̂̀̽̒̽͜͝͝s̶̼̟̣͒͜ that have happened just since I returned home on July 5th. If you had tagged it with the reference tag, with what I know of your life history, I would literally have only read it as you expressing your condolences, having lived through a similar loss.

Sorry for upsetting you so much/often. I know we talked about this once before (but of course can't find it at the moment). I am quite aware that life has frequently been treating you unkindly (especially of late), and every post I have ever directed anywhere at/near you has been one which I had hoped would be inspirational, uplifting, amusing, or help you to cope in some way. I admit there have been a few I had hoped would forcibly knock you back on track, but you have said that is something you do not enjoy, and so I have never done it since. I don't believe there has ever been a time where I was deliberately insulting you, whether it be in the body of a message or via my reaction choices. Please accept my plainly spoken, absolutely and completely unsarcastic apology. I hope it helps.

Exactly. To me, the brofist reaction carries an additional connotation of, "I approve this message," and there are many times when I do NOT want there to be any kind of implied approval, so I go for the reference tag, instead.

In general, on this board, there is never really a time where I am posting anything maliciously directed against other forumites...with a few very specific exceptions, of course, and even then, I try to be very restrained about it because I view (all!) the other people on this forum as FAMILY, and not merely as random, disconnected people on the Internet. I guess this just proves to me that this feeling is not automatically returned.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ANYway, my own whine:
-I am currently undergoing PT for my knee after being diagnosed with Getting Old.
-Scheduling the PT is difficult because I essentially work 12x5/wk.
-On Tue morning, had PT for 45min starting at 7a, then had to rush home so I could be to work by 9:30a.
-Wife asked me to get a box full of papers down off the cupboard before I left.
-The step stool she had set up is the one where the screws tend to work themselves loose over time, and it had unknowingly done so, and it collapsed while I was standing on it, sending me falling maybe a foot and a half down to the floor but also while holding a document crate of papers.
-She's been undergoing at least as much stress as me lately, so she screamed as I fell.
-As I was lying there on the floor, I said the first thing that came to my mind, which was, "Hey I think the screws on this stepstool are coming loose."
-I then had to go to work, where I stand on my feet for about 9hrs. Ow.

--Patrick
As someone possibly needing surgery and more rehab on the ankle I fucked up years ago again, I get this reference.

Also, I'm sorry for starting this whole piledown, I was genuinely curious if I had made a reference I myself didn't know I had made.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I came home early because I was feeling weak and light headed. I sat down on the couch for a sec and opened my eyes 4 hours later, even weaker and maybe having to gasp a little.

I took a covid rapid test, and it came back negative... so dunno what I got, but it's really taking it out of me.