Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

OK, a lot less serious because man I thought the whine thread was the "smallest" issues in comparison to Minor Rant and Rant, sheesh ;)

Anyway, my former boss/coordinator is leaving at where I used to work. Considering it's his job I wanted in the first place and I only left becausethat spot was never going to open up, and I'm unhappy at my current place...hey, let's throw in my resumé!
...Except they haven't opened the function for external candidates, and they've put the deadline to apply at tomorrow.
Rats.
I mean, I'm still going to throw my hat in - the only two people who have applied so far to my knowledge were both formed and trained by me - but....Sigh.
And fuck, writing a motivation letter is hard when you're dealing with depression, some drug withdrawal, and a dead line. Crap on a stick.

fade

Staff member
I ... just realized while talking to co-worker--an excellent, experienced geologist, mind you--that she was a literal infant when I was in college.

I ... just realized while talking to co-worker--an excellent, experienced geologist, mind you--that she was a literal infant when I was in college.
I've had to explain something similar to coworkers:
"How do you know so much about this stuff?"
"Dude, I'm what, 20 years older than you? In that time, I could've gone all the way from Kindergarten through a post-graduate degree all over again."

--Patrick

They had been considering some scary radical surgical options for my dad over the weekend. Thankfully those seem off the table now and he can now have a repeat of his prior surgeries to repeat the process and possibly close him up which would be great.

This weekend was scary and we were all very upset of course. My mother is incapable of dealing with stress though and she lashed out at all of us to varying degrees and offered no apologies. She also had a meltdown on the phone today in the ICU to the credit card company and I was worried that they were going to kick her out. She was screaming, crying and shrieking into her phone and I heard her as soon as I entered the unit way on the other side. It was disturbing to see and I am disappointed that she acted that way in front of my dad and my daughter. It was a totally unnecessary layer of stress for us to have to deal with on top of everything else.

Aussie and I only had one car when were first married. So I used to drop him off and pick him up when he was finished with work. As I was watching all of these young sailors come off of the ship one evening, I realized that I had graduated high school before some of them were born.

Aussie is also younger than me by 6 years. That can be a weird thing to think about. I lost my virginity before he was the double digits age group.

GasBandit

Staff member
Me last night, before bed: "Gee, I'm actually kinda hungry.. but I shouldn't eat a lot before bed. Better just have something small... like this fiber one bar."

Me, this morning: "Crap, I'm running late, I better just grab something fast on my way out the door, like this fiber one bar."

Me, a couple hours ago: "Looks like I'm not going to be able to get away for lunch until later this afternoon, better have this fiber one bar to tide me over."

MY NAME HAS NEVER BEEN MORE RELEVANT

Me last night, before bed: "Gee, I'm actually kinda hungry.. but I shouldn't eat a lot before bed. Better just have something small... like this fiber one bar."

Me, this morning: "Crap, I'm running late, I better just grab something fast on my way out the door, like this fiber one bar."

Me, a couple hours ago: "Looks like I'm not going to be able to get away for lunch until later this afternoon, better have this fiber one bar to tide me over."

MY NAME HAS NEVER BEEN MORE RELEVANT
Nor your day more full of crap.

--Patrick

Remember this scene from independence day? I feel like I re-enacted it in the bathroom.

No, I don't remember it...since I still haven't seen the movie (but I saw the trailers).
But I once ate an entire bag of Wow! chips in one sitting, not realizing what would happen.
What happened was much MORE sitting.
I can sympathize.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
A cold front has hit us, it's been in the low 60s all day, which usually I'd love.

It's just that nobody seems to have informed our indoor thermostats of that fact here at work, and so our AC is still blasting like it's 95 outside.

MEIN DIGITS!

(Too obscure?)

I only got to see about a season and a half. I'd gladly fix this, but ABC just has to go and be a big pain about things.

--Patrick

My kids both seem to be coming down with a mild illness. Worst case scenario for them is a day off school.

When they're sick, who do they want to sleep next to and hang off of all day? If I catch it, I'll be sick for a week.

Yay.

Sunday afternoon, one employee: "Gee boss, sorry, but my back's aching. I'm not coming into work tomorrow".
All the rest of the afternoon, all other people on my team: "Nope, sorry boss, I've got plans".

Monday morning: Oh joy, now I get to do both my own job and the operator's job all day long! That's a twelve hour shift of two jobs! Huzzah! One of which I've actually never done before. Uh-oh.

Wish me luck folks!

A-haha-hah. Today he prolonged his leave to include tomorrow and Wednesday. And all of my team is mysteriously impossible to reach by phone. Yeah, I know you guys don't like the way my boss handles the shift planning, but this isn't the solution, guys. It's me you're screwing over, not him.
It looks like I may be doing some unpaid overtime.

I know that feel, man. After I became head of my department, I became the safety net when other editors call in sick or screw up. I get the pleasure of taking over their cases and handling their clients, because the higher-ups believe I can do the best job of it. It sucks, and it results in lots of working late for no extra pay, but I guess I'm just the kind of idiot who believes the buck has to stop somewhere, so it might as well stop with me.

Plus I get cute female coworkers fawning over how great I am, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

If only I had any female co-workers. -_-

So I've now had 4 people telling me they don't care what or how but they're not coming, period.

Yeah, as for team spirit and tit-for-tat better protection they can go and kiss my behind. Next time they make a mistake, they'll know they made a mistake and I won't be the one sheltering them from the worst of it.

If only I had any female co-workers. -_-

So I've now had 4 people telling me they don't care what or how but they're not coming, period.

Yeah, as for team spirit and tit-for-tat better protection they can go and kiss my behind. Next time they make a mistake, they'll know they made a mistake and I won't be the one sheltering them from the worst of it.
All I can say is if I said I wasn't coming in to work because I had "plans," it's safe to say I could "plan" on not coming in any more, because I just got fired.

All I can say is if I said I wasn't coming in to work because I had "plans," it's safe to say I could "plan" on not coming in any more, because I just got fired.
Welcome to Belgium, the country with the strongest worker protection laws in the world (not an exaggeration).
I don't even mind those protections - they're important. But yeah, I don't really have any sort of stick or carrot to get someone to come to work, at all.

fade

Staff member
Texas* is "right to work", which means you can be fired on the spot. The flip side is that I can quit on the spot, too. Giving notice is only a courtesy.

(*Not to mansplain or amerisplain, but I find a lot of people from outside the US don't realize that most of the laws you are subjected to in the US are state laws and not federal ones, and can vary from state to state.)

I wish we had stronger laws like that here. I wish I could have fired the chick who came in and said all those awful things about my health. But instead I got to listen to her rage at me for months because I refused to hang out with her after that and when her actions had consequences. Not real severe ones, but at least it was recognized as inappropriate.

Yes, you tell someone that they’re too sick to work, whine that watching them try to walk when they’re in pain “bums you out” and hint that they should be put down, they’re not going to want to be your friend. What sort of a moron thinks that it’s appropriate to go in to that persons office the next work day and ask them out to lunch and then tell them off when they say no??

This is a very watered down version of her 90 minute tirade. I have a head cold and am too tired to type all the details on my iPad, but this says enough.[DOUBLEPOST=1509382918,1509382685][/DOUBLEPOST]So, as I thought I am sick-ish today. Our daughter is home sick and is looking rough and I half expected a call from the school about our son.

I woke up with a very red, flushed face and felt crazy hot. I Used the thermometer and even my fever is below a normal temperature. How sad is that? I’m usually blue nailed and freezing though. I actually have warm hands for a change. It’s weird. Sometimes es they’re too cold to register on my phone.

... "right to work", which means you can be fired on the spot
Pedantically, "Right to work" prohibits union/employer agreements that force employers to only employ union members and/or force all employees in certain positions to join the union and/or pay union dues.

You're describing at-will employment, which means that either the employer or the employee can sever the employment at any time, for any reason (excepting a few narrow reasons, most covered under anti-discrimination law).

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
Pedantically, "Right to work" prohibits union/employer agreements that force employers to only employ union members and/or force all employees in certain positions to join the union and/or pay union dues.

You're describing at-will employment, which means that either the employer or the employee can sever the employment at any time, for any reason (excepting a few narrow reasons, most covered under anti-discrimination law).
Huh. Did not know that. Even our employee handbook uses it in the wrong way, then. I honestly never heard the term until I took this job, because I was in academia, which is "lick our boots because you're lucky we gave you this job" until tenure.

Huh. Did not know that. Even our employee handbook uses it in the wrong way, then. I honestly never heard the term until I took this job, because I was in academia, which is "lick our boots because you're lucky we gave you this job" until tenure.
"Right to work" has been an anti-union phrase since at least the 1930s. However, many people do use it to describe at-will employment, and only recently has it come up again as anti-union forces have successfully lobbied for right to work laws.

It's surprising to see it in an employee handbook describing at-will employment. Texas is right to work also, though, and perhaps the handbook uses it correctly. If you re-read that section it may have a different meaning than you originally understood.

"Infamous is when you're more than famous!"