Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

He doesn't arrive until Friday and is just here a few days. He is staying with family and I'll play it by ear. His family is wonderful and I'm not going to cause a scene that will upset them when my issue is with him.

I think in general people care too much about not causing scenes, and not enough about their own personal well being. Even just an email about it would be good.

I own approximately 900 Allen wrenches of various sizes and shapes. Ask me if I can ever find any of them.
I needed a specific size to change the needle in my sewing machine, and another specific size for the toe stop in my roller skates. So needless to say, we have many sets of allen wrenches, but they are all missing those ones. :p

I needed a specific size to change the needle in my sewing machine, and another specific size for the toe stop in my roller skates. So needless to say, we have many sets of allen wrenches, but they are all missing those ones. :p
Stop buying the disposable ones.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I have the same thing. I throw the free ones that come with things in the top of my toolbox along with the sets, and the one offs I had to buy for various things. Now I have a huge salad of Allen wrenches.

Chronic pain is the worst. I hate being treated like a criminal for being on pain meds :(
I remember that. It sucked. A lot.
But... believe it or not, it can be worse.
Not being on pain meds (because we're trying to get me pregnant and therefore I can't take anything stronger than aspirin) sucks, I'm finding, even more.

They're not pain killers, they politely walk up to my pain and ask it, oh so softly, if it would consider, perhaps, maybe, lessening, and then giving it a foot rub before leaving.
Pain whisperers? No, that still implies usefulness.
Pain placebo pills? That seems more accurate.
Ug. and Ow.

GasBandit

Staff member
Can you ever find any of them?
Can you ever find any of them?
Only when I need some OTHER tool, and can't find the one I need. THEN the Allen wrenches are ALL I can find, and nothing else. But when I just got a nifty red dot sight that needs an allen wrench to install/adjust? MY HOME IS NOW SUDDENLY COMPLETELY DEVOID OF ALLEN WRENCHES.
2 tiny pocket sets. Metric and English. Why would I get you torx?[DOUBLEPOST=1492080167,1492080093][/DOUBLEPOST]

Invest in an actual set. Stop buying singles.
I did! I got a set with every size from "uselessly tiny" to "ridiculously large" that all connected to a big 5 inch diameter ring by way of springs with closed hooks. CAN'T FIND THE FUCKER TO SAVE MY LIFE.

I know how to find my allen wrenches.

I'm gonna go to Lowe's today and buy another set.

Then all the ones I have at home will drop their cloaking shields and manifest their presence.

I remember that. It sucked. A lot.
But... believe it or not, it can be worse.
Not being on pain meds (because we're trying to get me pregnant and therefore I can't take anything stronger than aspirin) sucks, I'm finding, even more.

They're not pain killers, they politely walk up to my pain and ask it, oh so softly, if it would consider, perhaps, maybe, lessening, and then giving it a foot rub before leaving.
Pain whisperers? No, that still implies usefulness.
Pain placebo pills? That seems more accurate.
Ug. and Ow.
I was really lucky during my second pregnancy with our son because I was in a period where I had no flares. I wore my heels up until I went off work at 37 weeks. I had a C section booked for 38 weeks because they were worried about me going into labour and having a repeat of how poorly labour went with our daughter due to my arthritis. That pregnancy was a gong show and I took all kinds of medication and had trouble walking and needed regular ultrasounds to monitor her to make sure she had no side effects from the meds.

Ah...the good old days when my arthritis was so cute and I could wear heels and I had remissions...

Depending on the type of pain you have, there may be pain treatments you could try if you can't use narcotics. I think that local nerve blocks would be safe. Or RFA.

My work schedule today: 9a-1p, then 9p-5a, then back again at 9:30a. Oh, and I still have that 50min one-way commute twice between each set.

This must be what life is like for @Frank or @Officer_Charon.

--Patrick
It can be... like today started at 0545, taking my wife to the airport. Then going to mandatory training for 8 hours. Now I'm working my 5-hour off-duty shift at the mall. Then I'm doing my usual 8-hour shift. Then, because I'm an idiot, I forgot that I was going to be exhausted and volunteered to serve breakfast to our dispatchers for Dispatcher appreciation week.

@_@

Freak snowstorm back on Tuesday morning in the 715. On way home, one of the plows was coming from the other direction. I was focusing on the road, since the slush had made driving "interesting". Heard a "thunk". Thought maybe it was just an ice chunk or something.

Got in my car this morning at work, and noticed the lovely crack that had developed on the right side of the windshield.

I suspect that a stone or something from the plow had ricocheted up and hit the right A-pillar at the window, and now I'm looking at a $300 windshield replacement - which is just barely above my deductible, which means that filing a claim would be relatively useless.

We have a glass plan specifically because our windshields are always getting hit with something. I feel like I need a new windshield every few years.

It you report the incident and file a claim after it's been repaired with the government entity plowing he roads there's a decent chance you can be reimbursed. They shouldn't be throwing debris into oncoming cars at all.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know how to find my allen wrenches.

I'm gonna go to Lowe's today and buy another set.

Then all the ones I have at home will drop their cloaking shields and manifest their presence.
I knew something like this would happen, but I had no idea the insulting degree to which it would come true.

When I arrived home with my new allen wrench set, all of a sudden there was a complimentary allen wrench inside the packaging of the razzafraggin thing that I swear to God was not there before.

It's very hard to photoshop something very fussy with a huge fuzzy monster-cat flopped half on my laptop and my arm with his tail on my screen.

He also was crying at the door to our dining room when he felt I had been taking pictures of flowers too long. What a ding dong.