Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Yesterday, some friends asks if we could take the kids down to the Shore. Okay, no problem. As we're about to cross the bridge onto the beach, the police zoom by and shut down the road. Why? Someone set off a pipe bomb at the Sempre Five K race. Okay, no one was hurt, thank goodness, we turn around and take the kids somewhere else.

Today, I was supposed to take my friend who is moving back down to Virginia around NYC. She's only ever been to Times Square and Yankees Stadium. We've been planning this trip for months, she wants to see downtown, the Village, etc. Last night as I've getting ready, Mr. Z says, "May want to change your plans. Someone set off a bomb in downtown Manhattan."

While are very grateful there were no fatalities.... what the fuck?! Stop bombing everywhere I'm supposed to be! And while we're at it, stop bombing places, period!

(Also, more have been found that haven't gone off, and they're still trying to see if it's related. Jesus.)

I was so excited recently when I found these awesome headbands that fit me foolishly large head AND had the no slip thingies on them. I bought a bunch! I hate having my hair in my face when I'm trying to concentrate and/or not feeling well.

I went to have my hair done tonight and my hairdresser comments that the back of my hair is damaged to the point where she isn't comfortable lifting the colour for a pre-lighten. I asked what could have damaged it and it's the hair bands that I love :(

Sad times.

The good news is that she had cotton candy pink hair dye!

fade

Staff member
Now that I've gone full PC/Windows, it's not too bad. But there's one place Windows still sucks compared to Mac/Linux: boot time. Geez.

fade

Staff member
I'm talking all the way to when the the little blue circle stops spinning after you log in and the computer is actually usable. Same experience on every windows computer I use for work and home.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I know about SSDs, but my point was that in comparison to Linux and Mac, it's much slower.

But that's my only real complaint, which is why it's in the "whine" thread.

GasBandit

Staff member
A coworker, whom I barely knew, died over the weekend. 21 year old part time spanish air jock and promotions assistant, killed by her boyfriend.

fade

Staff member
The comment wars over phones are so stupid. Especially Samsung v. Apple. I mean, geez, the phones are so similar the companies keep suing each other. TouchWiz + Marshmallow looks just like iOS and vice versa (since iOS keeps adopting Android features). Both have more horsepower than most people will ever use for common phone tasks, so number stats are mostly irrelevant. Apple dropped the headphone jack, but not really, since it comes with an adapter. They just moved it outside the frame. And it looks like the G8 will do the same. With the Android flagship dropping the jack, how long until most do? There are UX differences, but those are really opinion-based. Meh. It's my fault for reading comments.

@GasBandit that's horrible. I'm so sorry.

My whine is a bit of a hot mess. One of the medications I'm on can cause serious stomach issues and pain. It's doing that today. My stomach hurts so badly that I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to eat today. But...I need to eat to take my meds. Grr. It feels like there is a burning hole in my stomach.[DOUBLEPOST=1474303733,1474303692][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yikes.

I hear ya.
It's just like Coke/Pepsi, Democrat/Republican, Dan/Dave, etc. It's Us v. Them and people gotta pick sides. Mine is teh best, yours is teh suck, etc.

--Patrick
But Coke is better than Pepsi!

I don't get it, either.
"Is it made by <name>?" "Yes." "Then I automatically hate it."
Did you try it? Do you know anything about it? If so, I might give your words some weight. But if you are hatin' on it just because of <name>, then come back when you have data.

--Patrick

I don't get it, either.
"Is it made by <name>?" "Yes." "Then I automatically hate it."
Did you try it? Do you know anything about it? If so, I might give your words some weight. But if you are hatin' on it just because of <name>, then come back when you have data.

--Patrick
Are you including brand-wide or product-type boycotts in this judgement? I find it reasonable to exhibit the behavior above (avoiding <name> gizmo due to <name>, or avoiding the <new> gizmo due to it being a gizmo) without knowledge of the particular product.

Are you including brand-wide or product-type boycotts in this judgement? I find it reasonable to exhibit the behavior above (avoiding <name> gizmo due to <name>, or avoiding the <new> gizmo due to it being a gizmo) without knowledge of the particular product.
I avoid Apple products that way. Their UI design philosophy doesn't match my preferences, so I pass them up with almost no thought.

I liked my iPod, though. Though I never used iTunes with it (and am still a little pissed off that when I was trying out iTunes, it automatically changed the tag info I manually entered on some tracks.

I want to listen to the Elvish One, not Led Zeppelin IV, Goddammit!

And when I insert What You're Doing into the lineup of All the World's a Stage so I don't need to rip the rest of Rush's Chronicles, why'd Apple have to make me so uptight by overriding me.

Grumble grumble whine.

That would fall under "know anything about it."
I don't eat at Great Steak and Potato because I once got food poisoning there, for instance. Maybe someday, but not soon.

--Patrick

Yikes.

I hear ya.
It's just like Coke/Pepsi, Democrat/Republican, Dan/Dave, etc. It's Us v. Them and people gotta pick sides. Mine is teh best, yours is teh suck, etc.

--Patrick

Some things you can decide are simply crap though. Because that's their main selling point. Like bargain tools.

The nice thing about Colorado summers is that no matter how hot it gets during the day, the temp always drops off pretty quick at night.
That's a blessing and a curse, especially during the winter when the highs here in NCWI are barely above zero...

So. Kids.

Before my wife and I got married, we were both "on the fence" about having children. We'd discuss the prospect, and ultimately came to the decision that we wouldn't have children, but we weren't completely shutting the door on the possibility of having them either. After we got married, though, we've been gradually settling on different sides of the fence. Three years into our marriage, and I'm now very sure that I don't ever want to have children. She's been showing strong indications that she's starting to want to. For example, "Hey, so-and-so just had a daughter, wouldn't it be great if we had a kid too?" Or "Hey, your uncle and your grandma have been asking about when we're going to have kids, maybe we should get started so they'll shut up." Or "Hey, I'll bet our kids would be really cute."

For my part, I don't want to have kids because... well... why should I? What's the point? I feel no biological desire to procreate. I don't think it's necessarily a stage of life that I need to go through. I certainly have nothing against children, or people with children, and I can interact with other people's kids without any problems. But I just don't feel the need to have any of my own. Furthermore, I don't feel ready in any way to be a parent, whether it's financially, emotionally, etc. I think it'd be rather irresponsible of me to bring an unwanted child into this world. We also both have stressful jobs involving long hours, and it's hard to envision where we'd find the extra time and effort necessary for a kid.

However, every time I've asked my wife outright whether she wants to have kids, she'd say she's ok with not having them. I think she realizes that I've thought this issue through, and that I feel rather strongly about it. So she's avoiding the issue by humoring me. But I'm worried that she does want them, and that she realizes there isn't really a compromise to be found here (you can't have half a kid), so she's afraid of the logical conclusion that this road would take us. And yet, avoiding the issue doesn't help anyone. What if, fifteen years down the line, she ends up with tons of resentment because she feels like she had to do what I wanted, and sacrificed her chance to be a mother?

I don't think this is anyone's fault. We were both honest about how we felt before we got married, and we were on the same page. It's just that over the course of the last three years we've gradually settled on different sides. It rather sucks.

Last edited:
That really sucks, and unfortunately there isn't much to be done about it. And sadly, yes, she is very likely to resent it later.

A lot of people don't necessarily want to have kids but it happens. Once the child is born, a lot of people change their tune and embrace the role of being a parent with open arms.

So my stomach issues may have been self inflicted. My headaches make my vision blurry and I sometimes have double vision. For the last few days, I have been taking the wrong med instead of the one that's meant to help my stomach tolerate one of my pain meds. My stomach feels like it's burning and dying.