Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
I fucking hate the end of the month.

All this paperwork came through within the last 24 hours. It needs to all be taken care of by midday tomorrow.

paperwork.jpg

Seriously considering "taking care of it" with that barbecue lighter in the top right.

GasBandit

Staff member
why does that have to be on paper? Seems like a waste of about 90% of the page.
For a variety of reasons, that basically boils down to refusal of management to invest in paperless solutions and labor's tendency to ignore any work that they can't hold in their hand.

The last book store in my town is closing. Well, bookstore is a loose term, it's what I went there for specifically. And I'm not handling it well. But what really gets me is that people are freak-out buying stuff when their 'closing-everything-must-go' prices aren't any better than the deals they had weekly, or monthly. Like, why? It's 10% off, they had coupons for more off in their weekly ad.

I nearly followed suit though - walking through the store I piled book after book in my arms, then slowly put them back, one by one because I didn't have the money for them all. I'm amazed at how picked over the store is already too. *SIGH* I'm sad.

Yeah all we have left is a Barnes & Noble. The last bookstore closed a few years ago, and I hate that I didn't make time to get there more often. Was one of those tiny, 99% used books stores that smells like a musty old library and you could spend hours just combing through one genre (I picked up a ton of fantasy books there when I was a kid).

GasBandit

Staff member
My local Hastings Entertainment Superstore (about a third of which is books, the rest is movies and video games) is going out of business with a sale, too. I briefly considered going in, but it occurred to me I don't use physical media anymore. I haven't bought a printed book since Pauline died, and I haven't bought a physical copy of a movie, TV show or video game in even longer.

fade

Staff member
My local Hastings Entertainment Superstore (about a third of which is books, the rest is movies and video games) is going out of business with a sale, too. I briefly considered going in, but it occurred to me I don't use physical media anymore. I haven't bought a printed book since Pauline died, and I haven't bought a physical copy of a movie, TV show or video game in even longer.
I met RA Salvatore at the Hastings on Texas in Bryan once. I got his autograph.

When Circuit City closed, Lifehacker did an expose on store liquidations and all the tricks they pull to get people to buy things at higher prices than they sold before the closeout.

I've been without a Hastings for a couple of years now. It was a thriving store, but the landlord greatly inflated the rent. So the parent company was closing some stores anyway....

Hastings is, loosely, what the webcomic Between Failures, is based upon.

GasBandit

Staff member
Every machine in the office that has upgraded to windows 10, I've had to reinstall the printer drivers. But that's about it.

GasBandit

Staff member
The underling's hair has finally grown all the way down to her butt, and she's going to get it cut shorter! A moment of silence.