Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

No sooner do I get over being sick with a head cold, than we get crazy wind for two days because of a storm front moving in from the mountains, which is kicking up allergens so much that I go full stuffy nose watery eyes anytime I so much as look outside. Oh, and it's supposed to snow on Friday, so maybe that will re-hibernate all of the stuff that has dared to start shooting out pollen. >.>

My Michael Jackson nose is getting worse. Holy crap it looks so rough. I saw a plastic surgeon a while ago and there is no easy fix. They would have to re-break it and it would be a messy procedure and the results couldn't be guaranteed. I have too many real health issues to worry about to even consider putting myself through that.

"Let the lid slam" if I want the washing machine to continue to run after it's filled means the switch connected to the lid is broken. When that method is now hit and miss means it's really broken. I'm tired of broken.

I brought up the need for a new one. The response was an avalanche of excuses. Fine. If I have to blow what I had just set up as a vacation fund to get a new washing machine myself, I will. Fortunately PayPal finally deposited my bank transfer so I could move it to the PayPal MasterCard account. I've got just enough to get the mid-level one with decent reviews from Lowe's.

I emailed my sister just before posting this to see if she will either help or talk me out of it.

"Let the lid slam" if I want the washing machine to continue to run after it's filled means the switch connected to the lid is broken. When that method is now hit and miss means it's really broken. I'm tired of broken.

Easy fix, I'm sure you can do it, and a lot cheaper than a whole new washer.

Google "fix washing machine lid switch" and behold the videos. It doesn't even have to match your washing machine model, just watch several of them and you'll get the general approach and idea.[DOUBLEPOST=1458135159,1458135103][/DOUBLEPOST]If the switch itself is broken, here's one fix that might not require a new part:

[DOUBLEPOST=1458135206][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a good overview (I like repairclinic - they have parts if you need them):

[DOUBLEPOST=1458135431][/DOUBLEPOST]And if you can't fix the existing switch and don't want to wait for a replacement part, here's how to bypass it. This is dangerous, because the washer can spin without the lid closed, and won't stop just because you've opened the lid. Don't stick your arm in there!

fade

Staff member
This oil price thing is getting close to home. A good friend got the axe yesterday. We laid off 2 last week, and both were long-timers. One had been here probably 15 years. I am constantly stressed out about this.

I brought up the need for a new one. The response was an avalanche of excuses. Fine. If I have to blow what I had just set up as a vacation fund to get a new washing machine myself, I will. Fortunately PayPal finally deposited my bank transfer so I could move it to the PayPal MasterCard account. I've got just enough to get the mid-level one with decent reviews from Lowe's.

I emailed my sister just before posting this to see if she will either help or talk me out of it.
As Stienman says, this is not a complicated fix. I've done it and I am not ever remotely as handy as he is.

Not everyone chooses to travel with their babies, but they must for one reason or another. Not everyone has the luxury of leaving their kids behind either. My daughter, then just 1 year old, screamed for the first 60 minutes of our flight to Hawaii from Los Angeles. My husband had orders to be stationed here. There was no way we could avoid flying with a 1 year old and a 5 year old. If my husband had been deployed I would have been doing it all on my own. I empathize with the parents on flights and in public places who have screaming babies and children. Particularly since so many people villainize them because they make assumptions about their parenting ability and their baby/child's ability to self-regulate.

It'd be interesting if an airline tried to designate 1-to-some of their flights per day/week as child-free or somesuch, and make people pay extra for it. I know my wife would drop at least $100 to not have a screaming kid one seat from her (as she did in the GA-WA and WA-GA flights she took this week). Then again, maybe they've run studies and most people aren't willing to pay extra.

It'd be interesting if an airline tried to designate 1-to-some of their flights per day/week as child-free or somesuch, and make people pay extra for it. I know my wife would drop at least $100 to not have a screaming kid one seat from her (as she did in the GA-WA and WA-GA flights she took this week). Then again, maybe they've run studies and most people aren't willing to pay extra.
Considering the amounts we're paying anyway, yeah no. But I do know that people would love a "child-free" area in restaurants. I know that when my wife and I are out on a date night that one of the most irritating things is to have an unhappy baby seated right beside our table.

Considering the amounts we're paying anyway, yeah no. But I do know that people would love a "child-free" area in restaurants. I know that when my wife and I are out on a date night that one of the most irritating things is to have an unhappy baby seated right beside our table.

When I lived in Qatar, I loved this one restaurant. It wasn't because of the food or service, although both were very good. It was because they had a full ban on children under the age of 10. We could eat in peace.

Whenever restaurants try that in the US, there are lawsuits by indignant parents who insist "well MY kids behaves themselves."

fade

Staff member
Let me tell you the other side of this story, for those who don't have kids. You finally got the chance to go out after 14 straight weeks of reheated frozen food and cold cereal. The baby's been calm all day. You get out, and there's a line at the restaurant. Finally you get a seat, and you get to order after lugging the baby around. Then, the baby who has been perfectly calm, because you're not a dick who takes out a cranky baby intentionally, starts wailing. You do everything you can to calm the kid, but nothing is working. Everyone is staring at you. People who don't have kids are glaring at you like you're doing it intentionally or having a Brian-style meltdown at you. The people with older kids already forgot, because its one of those traumatic things you block out. The people with young kids are giving you sympathetic eyes, but secretly thanking whatever gods they believe in that it's not them. And you're sitting there in the middle of it all thinking, "Geez, shut up kid. I know everyone wants us to leave, but I would just like 30 minutes out of the house and a warm meal."

GasBandit

Staff member
Let me tell you the other side of this story, for those who don't have kids. You finally got the chance to go out after 14 straight weeks of reheated frozen food and cold cereal. The baby's been calm all day. You get out, and there's a line at the restaurant. Finally you get a seat, and you get to order after lugging the baby around. Then, the baby who has been perfectly calm, because you're not a dick who takes out a cranky baby intentionally, starts wailing. You do everything you can to calm the kid, but nothing is working. Everyone is staring at you. People who don't have kids are glaring at you like you're doing it intentionally or having a Brian-style meltdown at you. The people with older kids already forgot, because its one of those traumatic things you block out. The people with young kids are giving you sympathetic eyes, but secretly thanking whatever gods they believe in that it's not them. And you're sitting there in the middle of it all thinking, "Geez, shut up kid. I know everyone wants us to leave, but I would just like 30 minutes out of the house and a warm meal."
You gave up that right when you started squeezing out crotchspawn, you filthy breeder. You can leave the house when the kids are in high school!

Do parent's drug kids for flights, ever? Do you guys know?

Because Raye and I just about wept when we realized we had a child in front of us on our flight to Japan (which is no short ride), but for real that kid did not PEEP the whole time, which still boggles my mind.

What really bugs me are restaurants that have baby changing stations in the women's bathroom, but not the men's. It's not the 1950's. I'm not going to pass my kid off on my wife and say "Sorry, I know you do this all day while I'm at work, but it must be women's work!" Everyone waiting for a table in the lobby is going to get the full experience, and the dirty diaper is getting tossed in the garbage there too. I make sure everyone knows why too. It's not that damn expensive to buy another changing table.

Or you can try it, and it works for about 45 minutes until, in the middle of a 15 hour flight, they decide to turn up all the cabin lights and wake up everyone to serve some shitty food. :mad:

If you're willing to shell out for some kid-free seating, then why not make a one-time purchase of noise cancelling headphones? You can take them on any flight and not have to worry about loud snoring or crying kids or adults who have no volume control. You can't control if kids are going to be miserable, and I speak from experience, because we brought EVERYTHING; pillows, blankets, favorite toys, new toys, both new and favorite movies loading on a iPad, favorite snacks, favorite food, booking a flight that leaves at 1:30 AM and tiring them out ahead of time, buying a row of seats that fold up into a bed and NOTHING WORKED. But even before I was a parent, I used to bring a sleep mask and a good headphones on plane rides and even on my morning commuter bus, because as an adult, I can make myself comfortable, but I know I can't rely on anyone else to do the same.

Do parent's drug kids for flights, ever? Do you guys know?
Because Raye and I just about wept when we realized we had a child in front of us on our flight to Japan (which is no short ride), but for real that kid did not PEEP the whole time, which still boggles my mind.
It's also been quite the subject of controversy in Australia.
Still not as widespread a deal as it used to be.
d4e752ad86254b28f845ceadaf07240d.jpg

...just lookit those giant little pupils.

--Patrick

The red eye flight thing is a lie. I don't know whoever perpetuated the idea that taking your young children on a middle of the night flight will make them sleep. It's usually the exact opposite. And if they don't sleep, you can't sleep.

Honestly though, I only had one problem with misbehaving children on a plane when my son was an infant, and one diaper blowout, which was way more inconvenient than some screaming. My daughter always flew pretty well, at least, I don't remember anything terribly embarrassing, and I flew with both kids by myself when my son was 4 and she was 6 months old.

Also, Benadryl can also have the opposite effect on some kids, which is not a risk I'd ever be willing to take.

I ended up giving Lily some Dramamine on that flight. We had it for Noah anyway since he's got such awful problems with motion sickness. She was only a year old, so it was contraindicated, but we were desperate. She got 1/4 of a tablet and it knocked her out for the 2-3 hour nap she desperately needed. She woke up happy and very hungry. After that she just wanted to walk up and down the aisles with one of us and visit the flight attendants in the back.

Cajungal

Staff member
I will it through a baby crying in a restaurant any night of the week. A parent can do everything right and still not stop it. And yeah, it's important to get out. Not everyone can find a sitter.

What I *will* leave a restaurant for is the kid whose parents let him/her completely demolish a table. When I briefly worked as a host, there were these regulars who'd let their kids squeeze everything out of the bottles on the table, throw food at the walls, ad empty out all the salt. I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut around a true terror child.

I'm sitting in an auditorium listening to a guy drone about his life because my wife needs to attend these lectures for her school. I'm here to offer companionship. At least I have my phone.