Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
If anybody was wondering how long it might take a production director, who is e-mailed mp3s many times a day, to fill up his google apps allotted 15 gigs, that answer is approximately 3 years.

GasBandit

Staff member
Another whine from me today - I really gotta get off my ass and order a new work PC for myself. I don't wanna go through the hassle of moving my "work environment" over to a new machine, but this one is ridiculous. 2 gigs of ram on windows XP doesn't cut it any more, even for web browsing, sadly. Opening just about any given thread populates elements on the screen about as fast as a 2400 baud modem did a Roboboard BBS back in the early 90s. It's revolting how a web browser now requires more system resources than most games did 10 years ago. And I don't even dare open the GIF or video threads on this machine any more.

If I can find a prefab one that still comes with windows 7 maybe it won't be so bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1453152273,1453152118][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, 10 points to the house of any user who knew what a Roboboard BBS was without looking it up, except Patrthom.

Another whine from me today - I really gotta get off my ass and order a new work PC for myself. I don't wanna go through the hassle of moving my "work environment" over to a new machine, but this one is ridiculous. 2 gigs of ram on windows XP doesn't cut it any more, even for web browsing, sadly. Opening just about any given thread populates elements on the screen about as fast as a 2400 baud modem did a Roboboard BBS back in the early 90s. It's revolting how a web browser now requires more system resources than most games did 10 years ago. And I don't even dare open the GIF or video threads on this machine any more.

If I can find a prefab one that still comes with windows 7 maybe it won't be so bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1453152273,1453152118][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, 10 points to the house of any user who knew what a Roboboard BBS was without looking it up, except Patrthom.
Hah, I know what it is. The guys who I have my patents with were trying to use roboboard to bring graphical bbses to the masses. When I came on board, I said "fuck that shit" and wrote something up from scratch--which is where the patents came from.

what a Roboboard BBS was without looking it up, except Patrthom.
RBBS was good, but I was into Major BBS. Nexxus Point in Ann Arbor had four incoming lines, and being in Ann Arbor it was a local call from a number of nearby communities, so it was relatively popular.[DOUBLEPOST=1453157002,1453156689][/DOUBLEPOST]Aw, I liked Max and Ermas.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/en.../01/18/max-ermas-closes-restaurants/78975834/

But not enough to drive an hour to eat there.

fade

Staff member
Considering a browser is now a virtual machine, it's not all that surprising that it uses so much horsepower. It's kind of a weird full circle thing. For many people, a computer has become kind of a dumb terminal again.

GasBandit

Staff member
RBBS was good, but I was into Major BBS. Nexxus Point in Ann Arbor had four incoming lines, and being in Ann Arbor it was a local call from a number of nearby communities, so it was relatively popular.
Yeah, but Major didn't do SVGA, it was still ANSI, right?

I mean, most of my favorite BBSes ran Renegade, but the point I was making about Roboboard (or maybe it was Roboterm) was that, even at 14.4k, you could see it drawing each SVGA line and filling/painting every polygon, one at a time.[DOUBLEPOST=1453157344,1453157308][/DOUBLEPOST]
Considering a browser is now a virtual machine, it's not all that surprising that it uses so much horsepower. It's kind of a weird full circle thing. For many people, a computer has become kind of a dumb terminal again.
I blame java. Stupid java.

10 points to the house of any user who knew what a Roboboard BBS was without looking it up, except Patrthom.
I didn't know it without looking it up, even though I was a ProComm/ZTerm user way back when.
RBBS was good, but I was into Major BBS. Nexxus Point in Ann Arbor had four incoming lines, and being in Ann Arbor it was a local call from a number of nearby communities, so it was relatively popular.
Merit!
Aw, I liked Max and Ermas.
Me, too. They weren't the best, but they were good enough.

--Patrick

Last edited:
How soon is too soon? The morning our house burned down in 2005, my sister and her husband came to pick up my mom and I to takes us over to their house. He and I were alone in their car and he tells me this was making him reconsider his Halloween costume because that weekend seemed a little too soon. The costume? A smoldering Buddhist monk with a gas can. :Leyla:

Tears turned into uncontrollable laughter. I said no. Now more than ever, he HAD to do it. This while the firefighters were still on scene. :eek:

fade

Staff member
Man, I'm having the EE equivalent of writer's block. My wife got me a nice Hakko temperature controlled soldering station for Christmas, and I have no idea what to make. I looked around the web for inspiration, but everything is the same buzzer or flashy light circuits. I need some inspiration. Got any ideas @stienman ? Weird. I cannot @ anybody.

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, I'm having the EE equivalent of writer's block. My wife got me a nice Hakko temperature controlled soldering station for Christmas, and I have no idea what to make. I looked around the web for inspiration, but everything is the same buzzer or flashy light circuits. I need some inspiration. Got any ideas @stienman ? Weird. I cannot @ anybody.
Make a 40 watt laser rifle.