Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

At the time of wanting to post this, I've lost track of which thread this would most be appropriate. I don't post here much, but I enjoy the community, mostly :).

Lot's of folk have seamed to have lost a lot of pets, and on a more serious note, family,

Well, that was a nice kick in the balls to come home to.
Godspeed, Harvey, you really were a cool cat.

edit. Just came home, thought he was on my bed sleeping. Went to the bathroom, Went in my room and noticed he hadn't moved, turned on the light and well, that was it.
Chad said he'd just been playing with him an hour or two earlier, he was only around 6 years old and while plump, not stupid fat or anything. Really from the position on my bed, he looked like he died in his sleep, or from something quick.
Hell, chad thought I was kidding when I told him Harvey's dead.
Fuck I really don't wanna go into work tomorrow.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1430769344000.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
After an hour and a half of combing through our accounting software to try and figure out for our General Manager why some accounts be like dey do with agency commissions, my brain's about ready to squeeze itself out my tear ducts to escape. I thought we hired an accounting person for this?!

After an hour and a half of combing through our accounting software to try and figure out for our General Manager why some accounts be like dey do with agency commissions, my brain's about ready to squeeze itself out my tear ducts to escape. I thought we hired an accounting person for this?!
But why use them when you're available?

Reactions: Dei
My car has been stuck in insurance limbo for a week and a half, because someone else's insurance company will happily approve paying for a rental for for an indeterminate amount of time, but they can't approve $100 in extra expenses when everyone knew they were probably coming once the body shop got the bumper off. I am so very sick of driving my husband's car. (He got the rental because the body shop is closer to his work, so it makes more sense for him to swap cars when the work is done.)

GasBandit

Staff member
My car has been stuck in insurance limbo for a week and a half, because someone else's insurance company will happily approve paying for a rental for for an indeterminate amount of time, but they can't approve $100 in extra expenses when everyone knew they were probably coming once the body shop got the bumper off. I am so very sick of driving my husband's car. (He got the rental because the body shop is closer to his work, so it makes more sense for him to swap cars when the work is done.)
I got my car back from the shop today, after $600 or so of work. I, too, was tired of driving around the Chevy Blazer I borrowed from work - the company has owned it longer than I've worked here, and it's in bad shape. It even sounds like it has 10 gallons of water sloshing around in the back somewhere, like there's a cooler full of melted ice in the back or something, but there isn't.

Alternately the gas tank baffles aren't working and the gas itself is sloshing around. Or worse, you have trapped water inside your vehicle, such as a spare wheel storage spot, or inside the body panels.

I got my car back from the shop today, after $600 or so of work. I, too, was tired of driving around the Chevy Blazer I borrowed from work - the company has owned it longer than I've worked here, and it's in bad shape. It even sounds like it has 10 gallons of water sloshing around in the back somewhere, like there's a cooler full of melted ice in the back or something, but there isn't.
There's nothing wrong with my husband's car per say, I have just gotten so used to never having to actually pull my key out that needing to is an annoyance. #firstworldproblems

This is what I suspect.
Well, the spare tire is easy enough, just take out the spare tire and peer around inside there.

The body panels are more tricky. You don't describe the car, but the doors or hatch should have fairly visible weep holes near their bottoms where the outside skin meets the inside door metal. These can be poked at with a pipe cleaner, and as long as it goes through with little resistance they are probably ok and free of water. If not, clean them out and drain any water.

The body panels of the car also have weep holes where the skin meets the inside metal sheet, again near the bottom. Those are often smaller, and have longer passages, and thus clog more easily (but they are designed this way to limit water going up them). A pipe cleaner should also clean those out, but if you've got that much water that it's sloshing around they might be clogged enough to require a very small drill bit, twisted by hand, to clean/clear.

Also, if you have friends that are extreme pranksters, you can actually add water to a tire. It will slosh when going slow, but when going fast and accelerating or decelerating heavily they won't slosh, since the water will be pushed against the outside of the tire at speed. If you suspect this, get the auto shop to rotate and balance your tires - they'll find it soon enough and drain it for you - it can't really be done completely through the valve, so you have to remove the tire from the rim.

Alternately, wait for the water to create its own way out through rust...

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, the spare tire is easy enough, just take out the spare tire and peer around inside there.

The body panels are more tricky. You don't describe the car, but the doors or hatch should have fairly visible weep holes near their bottoms where the outside skin meets the inside door metal. These can be poked at with a pipe cleaner, and as long as it goes through with little resistance they are probably ok and free of water. If not, clean them out and drain any water.

The body panels of the car also have weep holes where the skin meets the inside metal sheet, again near the bottom. Those are often smaller, and have longer passages, and thus clog more easily (but they are designed this way to limit water going up them). A pipe cleaner should also clean those out, but if you've got that much water that it's sloshing around they might be clogged enough to require a very small drill bit, twisted by hand, to clean/clear.

Also, if you have friends that are extreme pranksters, you can actually add water to a tire. It will slosh when going slow, but when going fast and accelerating or decelerating heavily they won't slosh, since the water will be pushed against the outside of the tire at speed. If you suspect this, get the auto shop to rotate and balance your tires - they'll find it soon enough and drain it for you - it can't really be done completely through the valve, so you have to remove the tire from the rim.

Alternately, wait for the water to create its own way out through rust...
Well, the vehicle belongs to the station, and I'm not the only one who drives it (in fact this was my first time in years to drive this vehicle), so I'm pretty sure the suits know there's a problem, it's just they're not getting anybody to address it. And at this point, I can't take on yet another thing, I got shit to do. Soooo I think the rust option is how it will end up working out, personally.[DOUBLEPOST=1452206125,1452205948][/DOUBLEPOST]
Alternately, he doesn't care enough because it's not his car. ;)
Well, I cared enough to open up the rear hatch and check it for holes/sloshing noises, and anything else that might be a quick obvious fix, but when I was unable to cause any noises or find any drains that way, I determined I'd spent enough time to meet minimum diligence requirements.

Oh, and the spare is a full size tire mounted on an arm on the back of the Blazer's rear hatch. It doesn't make noise when I move it. It's inside the body panels, I'm pretty sure.

Ah, I misunderstood - I thought you were complaining about your car's problems, while driving your company car.

Well, just wait, it'll work itself out soon enough. ;)

I'm teaching a three hour graduate-level class at 9:00am tomorrow.

I have a full time job and I haven't had any time to prepare.

I'm the worst teacher ever. :(

Paycheck for December came in. Including my end-of-year bonus, pay-out of some overtime through the whole year that gets dumped in December, and assorted, gross income was €6500. Net? €2700 - with another 13.6% reduction to come. I'll be left with around €2400 - one third the gross. there's 21% VAT on pretty much anything I buy, there's 38% tax on electricity, and gas costs about 4x what it does in the US purely due to taxes. Besides all that, there's still plenty of home owner taxes, car owner taxes, road use taxes, radio owner taxes, communal taxes, regional taxes, and other stuff. Honestly, well over 80% of my earnings goes straight to the state. Belgian tax rates can go suck a monkey's dick, seriously.
And yes, I fall into the highest tax bracket....But I still fall in that same tax bracket on months where I don't get well-over-double-my-usual pay. All in all, my employer gives me about €4000 extra this month compared to other months, and I end up with about €800 more than an average month. That's just plain ridiculous, and goes to show why Belgian employers do everything in their power to avoid giving cash bonusses or incentives - they're not worth it. Come January, I get a €50/month raise....Of which I will see less than €10/month.

Taxes suck. Semi-communist redistribution taxes suck even more. Yuck.

Reactions: Dei
I'm teaching a three hour graduate-level class at 9:00am tomorrow.

I have a full time job and I haven't had any time to prepare.

I'm the worst teacher ever. :(
I had a professor last semester who was new to the college. The IT department didn't set up his email until we hit midterms. He had no idea how to use their Blackboard system and no one showed him. The syllabus we were given at the beginning of the semester was something generic. We didn't actually get his syllabus until 2 weeks before midterms.
He had a full time research position which meant he often was late (by a few minutes) and was rarely prepared. He also was traveling a lot to speak at various events overseas. BUT he gave us some amazing information on social work ethics and insight into the profession. We watched videos by his mentors, got handouts of things he found helpful when he was first starting in the field, and the class was mostly discussion. I don't think I used my text for much. I'd love to be in one of his classes again.

In the end I ended up chatting to my students for the most part. Shared my experiences and what they taught me, and also told them about some of the jucier parts of the institute's history. Didn't end up teaching them much, but I think it worked out in the end.

Also one of them might be developing a crush on me. This feels weird, usually I'm the one who develops crushes on people.

fade

Staff member
I had the most smoking hot girl (physical and mental so win win) stay after class when I was a grad student to ask me when we were going to hook up. Telling her I was married was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I had the most smoking hot girl (physical and mental so win win) stay after class when I was a grad student to ask me when we were going to hook up. Telling her I was married was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
I never had such a direct come-0n, but I did get a ridiculous call from one of them. They called and said they were students from my college and were doing a survey to find out what kind of girls guys were attracted to. They were practically giggling. That's a junior high move for a college kid. I just told them that I am attracted to my wife, and hung up.
I stopped putting my number on the syllabus after that.

Edit: I am not whining; just commiserating.

Last edited: